Saúl Ñíguez \ Joins Chelsea on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If this Saul talk isn't fluff, this would be the first time I'd believe Pogba is actually on his way.

Not sure if it's a trade off I'd want despite rating Saul in the top percentile of CM's.

Creative duties are thrust solely on Fernandes in that trade off, which is what we should be actively working to avoid.
I'm not so sure, a few sources have said that we're interested in a CM/DM regardless of potential outgoings. I think seeing us go back in for someone like Grealish would be the bigger tell.

Pavl3n

It's pretty much an impossible signing if you ask me as I see this guy very loyal to Atl Madrid. It's like asking De Rossi to leave AS Roma. However, if the news that Atl Madrid is in financial crisis then may be it is not impossible.

To me this is the transfer that depends on Pogba leaving not Grealish. This guy suits as Pogba's replacement. Playing in 6, 8 & 10. He even played wide midfielder & cover the centre back before. Grealish on the other hand is a 10, winger or CAM.
I'm totally with you on this one. I even had a similar post to yours in the Grealish thread, where a lot of people think that Grealish would be Pogba's replacement.

There are only two scenarios, in my opinion, that would makes go for Saul. One is the most obvious - Pogba leaving, the other one is Ole not rating highly enough one of our midfielders and wanting to improve on them. If it's the second - then we can definetely exclude Pogba. I think we could also exclude Matic as he's mostly sitting in front of the back four, recognizing the danger, winning the ball back and being good under pressure, while Saul is more box to box (not that I've watched him, I'm going by the definitions given by other posters).

Ekeke

I'm totally with you on this one. I even had a similar post to yours in the Grealish thread, where a lot of people think that Grealish would be Pogba's replacement.

There are only two scenarios, in my opinion, that would makes go for Saul. One is the most obvious - Pogba leaving, the other one is Ole not rating highly enough one of our midfielders and wanting to improve on them. If it's the second - then we can definetely exclude Pogba. I think we could also exclude Matic as he's mostly sitting in front of the back four, recognizing the danger, winning the ball back and being good under pressure, while Saul is more box to box (not that I've watched him, I'm going by the definitions given by other posters).
So while what you've said is true, do understand that Atletico don't use a DM. They play 4 across the midfield and the 2 central midfielders help defend and attack. They are plain central midfielders who do both jobs.

Saul is a ball winner and not only that but I made a thread on here when he went out on loan before making a breakthrough at Atletico...

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/saúl-Ñíguez.375742/

He played 20 games as a DM for Rayo Vallecano in 13/14

and not only that but he also played CB for 13 other games.

It was these defensive skills that made me think Saul was going to make it at Atletico at a time when everyone was hyping up Oliver Torres to be a big player in Spain. Oliver just attacked, Saul was good on the ball but also had a defensive side to his game and Simeone likes to pack midfield with competitive players.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm not so sure, a few sources have said that we're interested in a CM/DM regardless of potential outgoings. I think seeing us go back in for someone like Grealish would be the bigger tell.
The kind of outlay needed for Saul and Sancho, with no big movements leaving the club, plus the burden of Sanchez's wage, just doesn't seem feasible to me.

Logistically, Saul-Pogba-Fernandes doesn't look the wisest on paper, either. Saul should be allowed to roam and do his thing on both sides of the ball - him having to hold would be a waste and expecting that midfield to be two-way, there'd be trouble just around the corner.

Pavl3n

So while what you've said is true, do understand that Atletico don't use a DM. They play 4 across the midfield and the 2 central midfielders help defend and attack. They are plain central midfielders who do both jobs.

Saul is a ball winner and not only that but I made a thread on here when he went out on loan before making a breakthrough at Atletico...

It was these defensive skills that made me think Saul was going to make it at Atletico at a time when everyone was hyping up Oliver Torres to be a big player in Spain. Oliver just attacked, Saul was good on the ball but also had a defensive side to his game and Simeone likes to pack midfield with competitive players.
Well, I haven't watched him at all (apart from the occasional CL game). I guess he is good at sniffing out the danger. But if Pogba is to leave, we're losing a creative option in midfield, not so much defensive. Why would we go after him? Or may be we're just sniffing around and getting ready to find Matic's replacement well ahead of time instead of being put in the situation we were when Carrick was about to retire.

Ekeke

Well, I haven't watched him at all (apart from the occasional CL game). I guess he is good at sniffing out the danger. But if Pogba is to leave, we're losing a creative option in midfield, not so much defensive. Why would we go after him? Or may be we're just sniffing around and getting ready to find Matic's replacement well ahead of time instead of being put in the situation we were when Carrick was about to retire.
I dont think he's a Pogba replacement - other than that he'd play in 1 of the 2 DM roles, which Pogba is in this season.

He's an upgrade on Fred, Matic and McTominay. A hard worker with some quality on the ball who can pop up with a goal. Not a player to be one of the main creators in the team.

We have Bruno for Pogba's attacking qualities and we'd go for a different player if we want to keep Pogba's attacking qualities on top of Bruno.

Bwuk

I don’t think he’d be worth what it would cost to get him.

Ekeke

If the job is to replace Pogba we should go for Fabian Ruiz instead. Doesnt defend as much as Saul but gets on the ball and creates more.

They'd be good together as the 2 DMs in a 4-2-3-1 behind Bruno as well

Pavl3n

I dont think he's a Pogba replacement - other than that he'd play in 1 of the 2 DM roles, which Pogba is in this season.

He's an upgrade on Fred, Matic and McTominay. A hard worker with some quality on the ball who can pop up with a goal. Not a player to be one of the main creators in the team.

We have Bruno for Pogba's attacking qualities and we'd go for a different player if we want to keep Pogba's attacking qualities on top of Bruno.
I don't think he's Pogba's replacement either and I'm on the same page with you - if we bring him in, then he's upgrade on one of the three you listed.
Probably Matic, as even though he had a really good second half of the season (or 2/3 of a season) he would be on the decline line come next season.
But then, what do we do with the young lads coming through - Levitt and Garner?

Ekeke

I don't think he's Pogba's replacement either and I'm on the same page with you - if we bring him in, then he's upgrade on one of the three you listed.
Probably Matic, as even though he had a really good second half of the season (or 2/3 of a season) he would be on the decline line come next season.
But then, what do we do with the young lads coming through - Levitt and Garner?
Send them out on loan like Chelsea did before all their players were in the first team

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

This was when we were scouting him heavily as well, when he was at Rayo. I imagine our scouts opinion on him is that he is a defensive player.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good player and never happening
Agree with the first part ... as for the second part if La Liga does not get to play the remaining games then I think Athletico are out of the CL and he would probably be available at that point ... probably not gonna get him but if we do sell pogba I cant see many other clubs having the money and a need for a central midfielder (I just hope he does not go to liverpool - I think he would be great playing in a Klopp team)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agree with the first part ... as for the second part if La Liga does not get to play the remaining games then I think Athletico are out of the CL and he would probably be available at that point ... probably not gonna get him but if we do sell pogba I cant see many other clubs having the money and a need for a central midfielder (I just hope he does not go to liverpool - I think he would be great playing in a Klopp team)
The guy decided to signed mega long term contract and Atl Madrid was not afraid to placed release clause as well.

The only way for Saul to leave is if he is forced to leave. CL or no, I see his loyalty to Atl Madrid. Asking him to leave is like asking De Rossi or Totti to leave.

izec

I also don't see him leaving. I can see him asking for a paycut to stay in difficult times. Him and Koke seem to be spending the best years of the career at the club they love. Atleitco may or may not want to sell him if things get tough, but i think there are so many players they can get rid of to make some money and keeping the future legends.

jesperjaap

We get linked with Atletico players every year, Koke for what seems like forever. I dont think its even a case of affordign him, dont think he will leave personally

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I also don't see him leaving. I can see him asking for a paycut to stay in difficult times. Him and Koke seem to be spending the best years of the career at the club they love. Atleitco may or may not want to sell him if things get tough, but i think there are so many players they can get rid of to make some money and keeping the future legends.
Fair play to them, it's nice to see!

EngimaMK

The name of the website tells me enough about the reliability. Basically translates to ‘all signings.com’
So what you're saying is... It's gonna happen...?

YESSS! Knew it. Time to get my muppet boner on!

PS - For those that say he can't play alongside Pogba and Fernandes, I signed him on FIFA and they play great together, so there you go.

Dve

The name of the website tells me enough about the reliability. Basically translates to ‘all signings.com’
I only see DailyStar and Caughtoffside picking up on the story, and that tells a bit as well. When it sounds too good to be true, etc.

jesperjaap

Think a lot of people are pigeoning Saul in this thread. He can play a variety of roles dm, box to box, attacking midfielder, sure I have even seen him on the wing and once as an attacking full back? I could see him as box to box if he was here, not that I am believing any of these stories. Saul I think is our new Koke, linked for about 4years in a row with no concrete evidence of anything at all happening. Think either of them would be great in the premiership though

Scholsey2004

I think this is likely a recycled link from a few seasons ago. You frequently see the press returning players we were previously linked with, even at the point where it no longer makes sense. IMO spending big on a largely defensive midfielder doesn't make a lot of sense when it's our creativity that needs supplementing.

Skills

Snitch
Atletico don't look in good health financially. They're going to need to sell some players IMO

Redstar7

OMG.Did we sign him already?He followed man united and man united foundation in instagram.

Tony247

Grealish transfer has gone cold and this picked up. I still think Saul is valuable asset for AM and they won't sell him. Lot of wishful thinking in media.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Grealish transfer has gone cold and this picked up. I still think Saul is valuable asset for AM and they won't sell him. Lot of wishful thinking in media.
No it hasn’t.

jesperjaap

The guy decided to signed mega long term contract and Atl Madrid was not afraid to placed release clause as well.

The only way for Saul to leave is if he is forced to leave. CL or no, I see his loyalty to Atl Madrid. Asking him to leave is like asking De Rossi or Totti to leave.
Totally agree, there is more chance of me signing for us and I retired from Sunday League football 15 years ago

Davicho

He was needed 2-3 years ago. Today he would not improve our starting XI.

Tarrou

strange how this link keeps appearing as its clearly not happening

if Pogba left there's a chance we might go for him, but even then it's unlikely

Redstar7

Totally agree, there is more chance of me signing for us and I retired from Sunday League football 15 years ago
The big question is why did he followed manchester united and manchester united foundation and also manchester united players in his instagram?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
strange how this link keeps appearing as its clearly not happening

if Pogba left there's a chance we might go for him, but even then it's unlikely
I believe he is partially owned by Menes/Kenyon. I think their deal with AM imply that if there is an offer, and they reject it, AM will have to pay Mendes/Kenyon a fee. So it is not that surprising. Mendes/Kenyon would be interested in trying to spark some interest in the player (and a feeling that something could happen their).

Champagne Football

Never happening. Garner might be ready after a 1 year loan to push for a start. Jude Bellingham might arrive too. Add that to Hannibal Mejbri and our current 4 starting central mids, and I think we don't need anyone else.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He was needed 2-3 years ago. Today he would not improve our starting XI.
That's hugely debatable actually as I assume you're counting Pogba in this. Let's be fair he's only world class on paper for us. Our fans always seem to forget that bar a brief 3 month spell he's never been World class for United. Saul could actually be more consistent than Pogba is.

Status
Not open for further replies.