Sachin Tendulkar

Stretch

True story. I remember Donald bowling out Sachin at Kingsmead I think, with a beauty of an in swinger and the little master just looked up at Donald, smiled and shook his head. Bear in mind Sachin was in great nick at the time.

sheer wummery

Clique

From the 2005 thread

He scores at an average of 4.5 Test Centuries in a calendar year. So in the next three years he might score 13- 14 centuries. But now a days he is more content in playing a long innings..aiming for double and treble hundreds.

So he must score more than 15 ODI hundreds in three years to compensate that and thats really a tough task considering his age and fitness.
73 International centuries.

He will get 100.
94 on last count!. Man's a monster. To be playing at this level for so long is nothing to be sniffed at. If this is his Indian Summer, by jove, he's having a very long one. Without his tennis elbow problem circa 2003-06 he'd have a even better record.

100 for sure. :D . So what's the conclusion now, 5 years on from then. Is Inzi still a selfless champion? . Is Lara better than Tendulkar?. Should Ponting be included in the list if we're talking about the best batsmen of the last 50 years?.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nah Micheal Vaughan is better than Tendulkar, We all have established that!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From the 2005 thread

94 on last count!. Man's a monster. To be playing at this level for so long is nothing to be sniffed at. If this is his Indian Summer, by jove, he's having a very long one. Without his tennis elbow problem circa 2003-06 he'd have a even better record.

100 for sure. :D . So what's the conclusion now, 5 years on from then. Is Inzi still a selfless champion? . Is Lara better than Tendulkar?. Should Ponting be included in the list if we're talking about the best batsmen of the last 50 years?.
There's never been a doubt. Sachin is miles ahead. A once in a lifetime player.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I do not mind when some people consider Lara better than Sachin, the former definitely had more match winning innings to his name. Pointing though has always played in a uber strong team. A batting lineup which allowed him to attack without any thought. All this backed up two of the best bowlers of all time.

Clique

Nah Micheal Vaughan is better than Tendulkar, We'll have established that!
:lol:
Spoony was surely on the Wind up then. Vaughan had about 2 seasons of champion stuff to be fair.

There's never been a doubt. Sachin is miles ahead. A once in a lifetime player.
We're Indians amol, we'd definitely have that opinion. As objective as i try to be, I just can't. The man's brilliant.

I do not mind when some people consider Lara better than Sachin, the former definitely had more match winning innings to his name. Pointing though has always played in a uber strong team. A batting lineup which allowed him to attack without any thought. All this backed up two of the best bowlers of all time.
We have this hatred of ponting which stems from his rather moaning ways. But his records are nothing to be sniffed at. And in a statistics point of view, He should be right up there with the very best. Infact the only batsman playing cricket today who has any chance of catching Tendulkar's countless records, in tests atleast.

Overall, In cricket (inclusive of 50 overs and Tests), Tendulkar is better by the proverbial mile. His records speak for himself. The man can only face what he's served with. Its no fault of his that our sub continent pitches were lifeless the last decade.

amolbhatia50k

Spoony was surely on the Wind up then. Vaughan had about 2 seasons of champion stuff to be fair.

We're Indians amol, we'd definitely have that opinion. As objective as i try to be, I just can't. The man's brilliant.

We have this hatred of ponting which stems from his rather moaning ways. But his records are nothing to be sniffed at. And in a statistics point of view, He should be right up there with the very best. Infact the only batsman playing cricket today who has any chance of catching Tendulkar's countless records, in tests atleast.

Overall, In cricket (inclusive of 50 overs and Tests), Tendulkar is better by the proverbial mile. His records speak for himself. The man can only face what he's served with. Its no fault of his that our sub continent pitches were lifeless the last decade.
I know where to draw the line. I can judge players impartially. I know when an Indian isn't as good as a foreign player. Same with United players.

But Sachin is in a class of his own. I just don't see the comparison to be honest, and never did. He will be remembered as the greatest cricketer of the 'open' era in cricket terms. I could go into details why, but to be honest, I don't feel the need to, it's fairly obvious IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Poor Dumpstar didn't have the wildest clue. Shouldn't have bet against Sachin!

That was brilliant. Funny part about that innings was that, he was almost in danger of not doing it because he wasn't getting face a ball!

KM

Poor Dumpstar didn't have the wildest clue. Shouldn't have bet against Sachin!
I actually thought his 175 against Australia was a better innings than his double century.

He has really taken his batting to the next level in the last year or so, it would be absolutely amazing if he manages to win the WC 2011, it's the only thing remaining in his Cricketing Career.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
I actually thought his 175 against Australia was a better innings than his double century.

He has really taken his batting to the next level in the last year or so, it would be absolutely amazing if he manages to win the WC 2011, it's the only thing remaining in his Cricketing Career.
My best memory of Sachin's innings will always be that coca cola ODI series of 98. Those two centuries against Australia were one of his finest ODI centuries.

The lack of world cup is imo the only disappointment. He deserves every part of that cup. So has Giggs, Scholes, Best or for that matter some of the finest footballers.

KM

My best memory of Sachin's innings will always be that coca cola ODI series of 98. Those two centuries against Australia were one of his finest ODI centuries.

The lack of world cup is imo the only disappointment. He deserves every part of that cup. So has Giggs, Scholes, Best or for that matter some of the finest footballers.
:drool:

Clique

We sadly wont win it though!. We've got some very fine players, definitely. But Australia are still the team to beat in the shorter format. Plus our bowling isn't that great, we might have the home advantage and some flat tracks to help us along the way. But winning it would be just a bridge too far in my reckoning.

He deserves the WC winner's medal though.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

He partially only has himself to blame for a lack of a world cup though. There were runs in that pitch in 03, but he threw his wicket away and India never recovered.

VP

I've mentioned this before but I find our obsession with Tendulkar bit sickening. The hype and hero worship he gets is ridiculous; some people are more disappointed when he misses out on a century than when India lose.

Undoubtedly the best batsman in cricket over the last 20 years, but no one deserves such blind adulation. At least if he had won us a WC or a series in Australia the whole 'Tendulkar is God' thing might have been understandable. I doubt even Maradona gets such treatment in Argentina.

Neutral

BTV
I believe without doubt Tendulkar is a better player than Rocky Ponting, but I do think those saying he is MILES better, are genuinely not giving Ponting enough credit.

In ODIs

Tendulkar
Matches: 442
Runs: 17598
Average: 45.12
Centuries: 46
1/2 Centuries: 93
Not out: 41
Strike Rate: 86.26

Ponting
Matches: 351
Runs: 13072
Average: 42.85
Centuries: 29
1/2 Centuries: 79
Not out: 37
Strike Rate: 80.64

As these stats show, there is not much separating them, if you extrapolate Ponting's career to where Tendulkar is, he would be close to being level with him in every category, taking into account he has played 91 less matches.

That is not to say, he would be better, but I do think, it is a lot closer than people are willing to admit.

In tests it is even closer, many will cite Tendulkar having to carry India during different spells of his career, but Ponting also had his share of adversity, and there are some unique issues when playing for a dominant team.

Tendulkar
Matches: 170
Runs: 13973
Average: 56.11
Centuries: 48
1/2 Centuries: 57
Not out: 41

Ponting
Matches: 147
Runs: 12101
Average: 54.50
Centuries: 39
1/2 Centuries: 53
Not out: 27

History will rightly Tendulkar to be the better player statistically, and even aesthetically(If I had to choose, I'd choose to watch Tendulkar over Ponting), but Ponting should be at the very least be in the same conversation. Tendulkar is two years older than Ponting, but I think both will retire essentially at the same time, so Ponting won't touch his Test records for Runs or Centuries, obviously the ODI records will probably stand for just about forever.

amolbhatia50k

No I think he's much better. Ponting's played for one of the greatest teams of all time, pretty much throughout his career. Sachin for most of his career WAS his team. You can cite issues Ponting faced but they're nothing really compared to having to carry your team AND the billion at home watching expecting you to. I doubt any cricketer has ever had to take on that pressure. In fact when Sachin's played with the no.1 team in the world he's averaging 90 for the year! Despite the team still being nowhere near the level of Australia during their peak.

He's a freak of nature. And you won't see one for decades and decades.

Having said that, Ponting is a superb player. But I think there are others in that 'superb' bracket too. The likes of Dravid are up there for me at least in tests. Almost flawless technique.

Neutral

BTV
No I think he's much better. Ponting's played for one of the greatest teams of all time, pretty much throughout his career. Sachin for most of his career WAS his team. You can cite issues Ponting faced but they're nothing really compared to having to carry your team AND the billion at home watching expecting you to. I doubt any cricketer has ever had to take on that pressure. In fact when Sachin's played with the no.1 team in the world he's averaging 90 for the year! Despite the team still being nowhere near the level of Australia during their peak.

He's a freak of nature. And you won't see one for decades and decades.

Having said that, Ponting is a superb player. But I think there are others in that 'superb' bracket too. The likes of Dravid are up there for me at least in tests. Almost flawless technique.
It sounds like I'm arguing against Sachin, but I'm not. But for the past decade indian batting line up was considered one of the best, if not the best, sachin, ganguly, dravid, laxman. That's half his career, and I've left out the considerable work of Sehwag.

amolbhatia50k

It sounds like I'm arguing against Sachin, but I'm not. But for the past decade indian batting line up was considered one of the best, if not the best, sachin, ganguly, dravid, laxman. That's half his career, and I've left out the considerable work of Sehwag.
We had some great individuals, but as a unit, even as a batting unit there was never any comparison. I'd love to believe my team was that good but we weren't. In Australia were talking about one of the greatest teams in the history of the sport. And for most of his career it was just him and Dravid who could play on fast and bouncy tracks. Ganguly was hopeless at times on pitches that did something as was Sehwag early on.

I know you're not arguing against him. But I don't see the comparison to be honest. Ponting is a tier below for me.

Stretch

We had some great individuals, but as a unit, even as a batting unit there was never any comparison. I'd love to believe my team was that good but we weren't. In Australia were talking about one of the greatest teams in the history of the sport. And for most of his career it was just him and Dravid who could play on fast and bouncy tracks. Ganguly was hopeless at times on pitches that did something as was Sehwag early on.

I know you're not arguing against him. But I don't see the comparison to be honest. Ponting is a tier below for me.
I hear what you're saying but it is usually easier to be great in a team where you are the star compared to a team where everyone is performing if you get what I mean. Take Giggs for example, he's always been playing with quality players but you won't rate him any lower than say a Alan Shearer who carried his team almost single handedly. Not the best the example but you get the just of what I'm saying. Just an observation. Sachin is just a little better anyway. Something special about him.