Sadio Mane, Ayoze Perez

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
These two players I think typify what's changed about Manchester United. Both linked with us, both available, and I feel like the kind of players who needed a platform to perform at a higher level.

Easy to say with hindsight, but people at the time felt we should've been in for both. Both would have improved us, and I feel Fergie would've made it happen.

Were we properly in for these guys and if not, why not? Who of similar standing should we be in for now?

Jibbs

Sadio Mane himself have said he was very close to joining United. Instead we went on to appease Raila and signed Mkhitaryan. Another is Kante. We should have signed him along with Pogba.
Kante and Mane would have changed the whole dynamics at United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Perez? Feck no

A lot of people at the time wanted Mane though, the board decided on Martial instead though (or Mane turned us down depending on what report you believe)

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I rate Perez. He's never going to be a tier 1 best player in the league but he's got a healthy body of work behind him, I would definitely take him now as a starter and in a title winning team as a rotation player.

Gazautd18

Perez I'm not to keen on.
Mane though, I remember a time when we were in for him an he got a lot if negative feedback on here.
I think the fact he was playing for Southampton didn't appeal to many people.
Go figure!

Velvet Revolver

Sadio Mane himself have said he was very close to joining United. Instead we went on to appease Raila and signed Mkhitaryan. Another is Kante. We should have signed him along with Pogba.
We signed Memphis instead. Thank LVG for that one

Bojan11

Perez? Feck no

A lot of people at the time wanted Mane though, the board decided on Martial instead though (or Mane turned us down depending on what report you believe)
Think we wanted Mane regardless of Martial. But Southampton weren’t budging because they sold a few players that summer.

Fridge chutney

I completely forgot that Mane used to play for Southampton. What a steal.

Southampton over the years have handed Liverpool the keys to a CL and the League in Mane and VVD alone. Feck!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We were linked with both in the summer of 2015, Mane has gone on to become world class and a lot better than anyone bar a tiny minority thought he would. Perez has developed into the player most thought he would, a good PL standard player. He would start for us right now but that's not saying much. He's never going to be a starter for a PL winning team.

TsuWave

Should have bought Mahrez instead of going in for Sanchez

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure about Perez at United but he's no worse than Lingard, Mata, Pereira, James. Remember when he first played for Newcastle and thought was a bargain Benitez had uncovered from the Spanish 2nd division. The island of Gran Canaria isn't exactly known for producing footballers.

Mané was a no-brainer and you could argue that the time of his signing was sort of of turning point for United in regards to Liverpool with us trending downwards and them upwards.

chromepaxos

Mane though, I remember a time when we were in for him an he got a lot if negative feedback on here.
This is absolutely correct. I remember talking about what class he was and people arguing that he was lazy (of course), tended to fade out of games, and would only ever be a squad player.

It was so perfectly Caftardish - lots of people with no eye for a player at all, but very confident in their opinions.

el3mel

Depay was considered a pretty good talent back then. His videos were great. It wasn't a poor move from the outside. Just like most of signings post Fergie, he turned to shite once he stepped on Old Trafford.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Depay has nothing to do with Mane. He was signed long back and we agreed fee back in May. Mane happened at end of July or start of August when it was clear that Pedro was signing for Chelsea.

jem

This is absolutely correct. I remember talking about what class he was and people arguing that he was lazy (of course), tended to fade out of games, and would only ever be a squad player.

It was so perfectly Caftardish - lots of people with no eye for a player at all, but very confident in their opinions.
This is all seems a bit too ‘I told you so.’ Any proof of your having been so prescient?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Don't forget that when we signed Mane, loads on here were saying that he's too inconsistent and wouldn't have been good enough for Man Utd.
He has been sensational since his first game for Liverpool and is arguably our best player

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think we didn't get Mané because we didn't want to pay up what Southampton wanted. Sound familiar?

Classical Mechanic

These two players I think typify what's changed about Manchester United. Both linked with us, both available, and I feel like the kind of players who needed a platform to perform at a higher level.

Easy to say with hindsight, but people at the time felt we should've been in for both. Both would have improved us, and I feel Fergie would've made it happen.

Were we properly in for these guys and if not, why not? Who of similar standing should we be in for now?
We should be looking at this lad really. Technical and creative and doing great at the bottom club in the league. Once they get relegated he'll go for a reasonable fee.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/260592/Show/Emiliano-Buendía

Castia

We got linked to Mane numerous times, shame we didn’t do the deal. Not so keen on Perez though, don’t give 2 shits about him.

Bondi77

I thought that LVG sold Zaha and then said he had no wingers and put a bid in for Mane and was then told he was not for sale.
It makes me laugh when I hear that Moyes was not trusted with a big kitty and then LVG was allowed to be let loose with a kitty that Fergie would have built a team for the ages with and he royally stuffed it up.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Depay has nothing to do with Mane. He was signed long back and we agreed fee back in May. Mane happened at end of July or start of August when it was clear that Pedro was signing for Chelsea.
Depay transfered in 2015, same year we got Firmino. Mané came a year later.

Classical Mechanic

I thought that LVG sold Zaha and then said he had no wingers and put a bid in for Mane and was then told he was not for sale.
Mane has said he elected not to join because he didn't feel the club was right for him at the time. I took that to mean LVG's style. He much more suited to Klopp's hyper vertical style.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Kante said himself he wanted to work for Conte.

Woodenlung

Mane wouldn't have developed into a world class forward if he joined United. Klopp is the perfect manager for him. Allowed him to develop tactically and technically in a fluid front three.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I remember Redcafe’s and British football in general’s reaction when Van Gaal went after Mané. Laughter, derision etc. Being teased because we moved on from Pedro to Mané.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

It's funny though, because plenty on here thought going for Mane was another indication how our standards had fallen. Theres historically been so much snobbery around players performing at other premier league teams.

The Original

Like a lot are doing with Traore at the moment.

CognitiveNeuro

Perez? Feck no

Mane himself said he rejected Man United's offer because it wasn't the right coach and club.

marktan

I didn't watch too much of Mane, outside games against us where he was poor, so I've been surprised by the player he is now. Perez plays well for Leceister but I think he'd struggle at United, unlike Mane who'd thrive anywhere currently.

That said two players in the league currently I've watched a lot of and think have huge potential and would be cheap.

Allan Saint-Maxim, technically already very good and works hard, he reminds me a lot of what Mane is today. I think he can become a top player.

And Buen Dia for Norwich, always one of their biggest creators and technically very good.

Combined they'd cost about £60m and would improve us.

SungSam7

Not sure about Perez at United but he's no worse than Lingard, Mata, Pereira, James. Remember when he first played for Newcastle and thought was a bargain Benitez had uncovered from the Spanish 2nd division. The island of Gran Canaria isn't exactly known for producing footballers.

Mané was a no-brainer and you could argue that the time of his signing was sort of of turning point for United in regards to Liverpool with us trending downwards and them upwards.
Benitez didn't sign Ayoze, Alan Pardew did

Bondi77

It is funny how things work out in football,
I can remember when Jose sold Mata to us when he was their player of the season and brought in a certain Mohamed Salah for a third of the price and yet he does not give him a lot of game time and he then goes on to carve it up at Roma and then fits seamlessly back into English football and tears it to pieces.
Who would have thought it eh?

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City

David Silva?