Sadio Mane | Bayern player

Josh 76

Nah. Mane had been amazing for us. World class. But six months ago he was merely a good player coming off the back of a poor season.

Been world class of late like. Going out in peak form.
All your team were coming off the back of a poor season during that time.

marktan

I think he'll look good at Bayern purely because they have rotation options and won't require him to play every game. He's looked much better since he got a slight bit of rest with Diaz coming in.

Thought he was done after the previous season where his touched dissapeared, but he's been good again this season. Only question is at what age does he drop off given the amount of running he used to do, but if Bayern get 3 seasons out of him at his current level I think it'll have been a very good buy for them.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Think Liverpool will miss him. But their new signings will probably be just as good.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Bundesliga is a much better league for aging attackers and Bayern in particular have a great track record getting production out of age 30+ forwards, including Lewa, Muller, Robben, Ribery, Makaay, Toni, etc.

I think it’s just a good deal for all parties. Liverpool are smartly looking toward the future. Better to sell a player like Mane one year too early than resign him to a crippling contract. Bayern will get a top player who will do well in the Bundesliga. And Mane gets a new challenge and a lot of money.

Redfrog

Exactly.

If Mane hadn't gone up a level after moving centrally this wouldn't be talked about the way it is. By the look of it this was essentially agreed in January.

We can't be in a situation one or two years from now when we need to replace all three of Firmino Salah and Mane because we're too scared to move them on until they are clearly past it.

It's very much like Bob Paisley really, who had a strict philosophy of letting players lose their legs on someone else's dime.
Stop consoling yourself. You wanted to keep him but he wanted a better contract. Nothing to do with losing his legs. End of…

Just hope it will weaken you even if I am not convinced about that because of Klopp / but don’t pretend it was something the club or Klopp wanted.

iamking

Thank God for this! They wont miss the volumes of his goals, but the man was a monster on the field when it came to pressing. Scored more important clutch goals for Pool than any of their players (including the self-professed Legend Lord Origi). His industry and selflessness was stark in contrast to Salah on the other wing. The kinda of player who keeps the morale of the team high by his mere presence on the field. I can't believe we let him slip through our fingers and thank god the nightmare is over, next its the Egyptian swimmers turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortitude

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thank God for this! They wont miss the volumes of his goals, but the man was a monster on the field when it came to pressing. Scored more important clutch goals for Pool than any of their players (including the self-professed Legend Lord Origi). His industry and selflessness was stark in contrast to the Mo on the other wing. The kinda of player who keeps the morale of the team high by his mere presence on the field. I can't believe we let him slip through our fingers and thank god the nightmare is over, next its the Egyptian swimmers turn.
In fairness to Origi I don't think he's a self-professed anything really. He's fecking shit but I'm not sure why you think he's constantly telling anyone otherwise. Scored a lot of important goals tbf to him as well.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Stop consoling yourself. You wanted to keep him but he wanted a better contract. Nothing to do with losing his legs. End of…

Just hope it will weaken you even if I am not convinced about that because of Klopp / but don’t pretend it was something the club or Klopp wanted.
He is losing his legs though. Like I said, I reckon this was mostly agreed when we were buying Diaz and at that time it was all looking like natural renewal of the forward line.

Then he went and turned awesome in the center to remind us all of what we're missing out on.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Surely Firmino’s the first one you want out of the door seeing as he’s been a bit crap for a while now? Certainly not Mane who was carrying the attack when Salah and Jota went limp.
Bobby's been good this season when he hasn't been injured. Might have an Indian summer in him too before it's all over for him.

But yeah. Would much rather have kept Mane and sold Bobby. Think the difference was that Bobby really wants to stay and Sadio could see himself elsewhere once they were told they could look for other clubs if they wanted.

At the end of the day I just don't think the order of who goes when is so momentous as people on here are dearly wishing for. We've bought our replacements. We have Klopp. There is a not a better prospect for a new forward line that I can think of.
This isn't football manager. It's also about player harmony, give and take and mutual respect after years of great service.

I am quite glad we're not running a retirement home for players who have seen better days the way Woodward has done for the past 8 years.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Most Bayern fans, myself included, don't want him, no.

Laimer is one of the best midfielders in Europe when it comes to winning the ball and pressing.
On the other hand his passing is quite poor.

I don't think that he is what our squad needs and as Kimmich is set in stone, Laimer would have to compete with Goretzka, Gravenberch and Sabitzer if he stays.
I wouldn't expect him to start many games, certainly important ones. He'd arguably be 4th choice for sure, but he at least gives you squad depth and a different option if you're in a situation in a game where you could use his energy and quality of pressing off the bench or something.

I'm slightly surprised most Bayern fans don't want him considering that and he's coming pretty cheap as well as weakening a rival. Though I understand there are undoubtedly more urgent needs with Sule, probably Lewandowski and likely Gnabry leaving.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Inappropriate Behavior

Last edited:

TheLiverBird

They’ve been robbed. 30m in this market is an absolute steal for Mane he will be a huge loss for Liverpool.
I thought the value was about right to be fair

hes 30 and doesn’t have a 3-4 year contract

he had just 1 year left

might have been a different story if many clubs where bidding for him driving the price up but there wasn’t

if Mane was on a 3 year contract then I wouldn’t have been shocked to have seen him go for £80-£100million

that’s like equivalent too £26m or £33m per contracted season

he had just one contracted season left and the price is £27m rising to £35m after add ons are triggered

he’s about bang on tbf

I might be plucking numbers out my head here but I think most would agree at 30 (not over the hill) he wouldn’t be valued into the mid £100m’s

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's a good deal for him. Just as it was a good deal we got for Thiago.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Good business for a 30 year old in the last year of his contract. Nunez will fit right into Klopps system and it’ll be as if nothing has changed. They’re a machine of a club and hate them.

ColvaleGoa

Hopefully now they give Salah the bumper deal he is after. Will be good to see them break their wage structure.

always_hoping

The business sense has shone through with Liverpool once again, the opposite of the carry on with United.

Didn't sell Mane until a replacement was first signed and sold him for the same fee as he was bought for a number of years ago.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The business sense has shone through with Liverpool once again, the opposite of the carry on with United.

Didn't sell Mane until a replacement was first signed and sold him for the same fee as he was bought for a number of years ago.
Like we did with ADM, Lukaku and James?

Pretty easy to do when your players are wanted by clubs willing to pay some money

TheReligion

Abusive

They’ve sold him cheaply and downgraded.

If that’s excellent business to you then I hope you’re not self employed

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Like we did with ADM, Lukaku and James?

Pretty easy to do when your players are wanted by clubs willing to pay some money
Yeah, but we got absolutely feck all out of those players. I think this is a big loss for Liverpool, but at least they got some incredible years out of him and then sold him for just £2m less than they bought him for now that he's 30. Obviously, time will tell whether they've replaced him or not.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yeah, but we got absolutely feck all out of those players. I think this is a big loss for Liverpool, but at least they got some incredible years out of him and then sold him for just £2m less than they bought him for now that he's 30. Obviously, time will tell whether they've replaced him or not.
But surely that makes our business even better in these cases? Selling absolute fails for a profit or close to what you paid for is better than getting your investment back on Sane

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
But surely that makes our business even better in these cases? Selling absolute fails for a profit or close to what you paid for is better than getting your investment back on Sane
No, not for me. At all. To call what we did with those players (maybe aside from James because he was a gamble on a cheap) great business would be a very charitable reading of the situation, IMO. And we certainly didn't make a profit on them. Not from what I understand, anyway. We lost £10m on the Lukaku sale and just over £10m on Di Maria.

The primary reason to bring in players (for a club like us, anyway) is for them to contribute to the team. Those players did not. Mane more than contributed to Liverpools success over the last few years. Also, the money involved should factor into the whole. To bring a player in for £37m, get the best out of him (Champions League, Premier League, goals, etc) then sell him for just £2m less than they bought him for now that he's 30 (and the contract situation) is incredible business really.

Again, I think he's a big loss for them, but obviously how their new signings perform will determine HOW big of a loss.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For all the talk of how well managed Liverpool are, it's breath-taking that they let the deals of the "best ever" front 3 in the Prem (see media) all expire in the same year!
For all the talk of it being "smart" letting him go now, in reality the last thing they wanted was to lose him this summer.

always_hoping

They’ve sold him cheaply and downgraded.

If that’s excellent business to you then I hope you’re not self employed
They got the very best years out of him and have brought in a like for like replacement to keep things running smoothly for Klopp and his team. It's clued in business, the best clubs are also the best ran with football brains directing the club.

TheReligion

Abusive
They got the very best years out of him and have brought in a like for like replacement to keep things running smoothly for Klopp and his team. It's clued in business, the best clubs are also the best ran with football brains directing the club.
You know nothing

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I probably have forgotten more than you ever learnt.
:lol: . I agree with you on Mane although I think he's got another 1-2 good years in him.

Liverpool, however, didn't have the choice to keep him that long, so well done on replacing him quite well, at least by the looks of it so far.

GledTheRed

It's a clear downgrade, Mane is / was arguably your best player.

You won't pay above 200k a week hence why he's leaving, Salah will leave on a free next summer for the same reasons.

Perhaps use these football brains you lot have and pay market value instead of spunking it all on the Darwin transfer fee.

always_hoping

It's a clear downgrade, Mane is / was arguably your best player.

You won't pay above 200k a week hence why he's leaving, Salah will leave on a free next summer for the same reasons.

Perhaps use these football brains you lot have and pay market value instead of spunking it all on the Darwin transfer fee.
Your and you lot? Nine years on here and that is the first time that somebody thinks I'm a Liverpool supporter, matter of fact I can't stand them.

Their transfer business over the last 5 years speaks for itself it has turned what was a mediocre team into a side that can challenge or win major honours and this latest piece of business will not halt them IMO.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Player comes and go. Mane is within his own right to get the biggest contract and probably his last big contract he can find in the market. He has been a great servant for Liverpool so there shouldn't be any hard feeling between two parties. Liverpool got a decent fee for a player with a year left in his contract too.

Redfrog

Player comes and go. Mane is within his own right to get the biggest contract and probably his last big contract he can find in the market. He has been a great servant for Liverpool so there shouldn't be any hard feeling between two parties. Liverpool got a decent fee for a player with a year left in his contract too.
You are really taking my comment out of context mate. Nobody can make me believe that’s a good deal to loose one of your best player, no matter how you feel. There is just no need to paint it as a good thing.
It’s not about feelings but this being a good deal. It’s not when you are loosing a very good player.
At the time, I never thought it was a good deal to loose Ronaldo, no matter the money involved and the feelings.

Players make the club as much as managers, as an Arsenal fan you should know that. You regressed massively because you were consistently losing your best players.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You are really taking my comment out of context mate. Nobody can make me believe that’s a good deal to loose one of your best player, no matter how you feel. There is just no need to paint it as a good thing.
It’s not about feelings but this being a good deal. It’s not when you are loosing a very good player.
At the time, I never thought it was a good deal to loose Ronaldo, no matter the money involved and the feelings.

Players make the club as much as managers, as an Arsenal fan you should know that. You regressed massively because you were consistently losing your best players.
losing a 24 year old Ronaldo is hardly comparable.

More apt comparisons would be selling Nistelrooy at age 30.