Sadio Mane | Performances

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Forgot. Or rather misplaced. Not important anyways

How essential was it, really. I mean, Pandev did it just as well. Why couldn't Lewandowski? I find it more interesting and relevant that he was asked to do it in the first place. As opposed to being asked to play in his best and natural role

I don't see why "variety" (which really means playing as an extra fullback in 1 game, and a winger in 5) is relevant here. Again, the difference isn't that Eto'o could and Lewandowski can't, it's that one guy was asked to - because there was a better striker on the team and the manager wanted his team to defend a lot - and the other wasn't.

We don't talk about how good Eto'o was as a winger - because he wasn't a particularly good one, to start with - but rather his willingness to sacrifice himself into a role that wasn't his, where the best description of him was "functional", in order to help his team win. Which fair enough, it's impressive for a player of that level. But i don't see why it should matter when judging his individual ability
Inter fan here. I love Milito - he's a legend. However he was never a better striker than Eto'o. Excellent goal scorer and very underrated throughout his career. Eto'o was asked to sacrifice himself not because Militl was better but that Eto'o fit the characteristics if someone to play on the wing more than Milito. Milito was a fairly traditional forward without much pace - he would never work on the wing. He was an excellent striker but Eto'o was the overall better player. Both had excellent season in the CL though with Milito scoring the important goals and stepping it up.

Eto'o in 2010/2011 was insanely good and literally dragged Inter to the quarter finals.

Reactions: jojojo

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inter fan here. I love Milito - he's a legend. However he was never a better striker than Eto'o. Excellent goal scorer and very underrated throughout his career. Eto'o was asked to sacrifice himself not because Militl was better but that Eto'o fit the characteristics if someone to play on the wing more than Milito. Milito was a fairly traditional forward without much pace - he would never work on the wing. He was an excellent striker but Eto'o was the overall better player. Both had excellent season in the CL though with Milito scoring the important goals and stepping it up.

Eto'o in 2010/2011 was insanely good and literally dragged Inter to the quarter finals.
I agree! Individually Eto'o 10/11 was better than Milito 09/10! And still, Mourinho decided to sacrifice Eto'o. It seems i didn't get my point across: what i'm saying is Mourinho felt his team didn't need to get the best out of Eto'o to win, and also didn't rate Eto'o's best high enough to consider him untouchable

Eddy_JukeZ

Mane is a great player, but he has ways to go before he reaches Eto's level IMO.

Criminally underrated striker.

The only striker better than him in the past 10 years is Suarez IMO.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Eto'o is very underrated going by few posts in this thread.

roonster09

Scout
I agree! Individually Eto'o 10/11 was better than Milito 09/10! And still, Mourinho decided to sacrifice Eto'o. It seems i didn't get my point across: what i'm saying is Mourinho felt his team didn't need to get the best out of Eto'o to win, and also didn't rate Eto'o's best high enough to consider him untouchable
Didn't Iniesta play as LW for Spain with inferior player playing as CM? It's not always better player plays in their position, it's players whose skill set is very good that they can play anywhere will be played in different position, not to accomodate any Tom dick Harry but to accomodate one of their best players.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Eto'o>>Lewandowski>>>>Mane
Agree with Eto'o being better than Lewandowski, simple because of Eto'o big game goalscoring caliber compared to Lewandowski, if Lewandowski wins the UCL while performing well then we can revisit the argument. Mane shouldn't be compared to them since be is hardly a striker.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't Iniesta play as LW for Spain with inferior player playing as CM? It's not always better player plays in their position, it's players whose skill set is very good that they can play anywhere will be played in different position, not to accomodate any Tom dick Harry but to accomodate one of their best players.
Iniesta played similarly for Spain as he did for Barcelona, he wasn't played out of position and asked to play a role in which he was no better than Jesse Lingard

roonster09

Scout
Iniesta played similarly for Spain as he did for Barcelona, he wasn't played out of position and asked to play a role in which he was no better than Jesse Lingard
He played as LW many times for Spain and few times even for Barca, with inferior players playing in Iniesta's best position.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He played as LW many times for Spain and few times even for Barca, with inferior players playing in Iniesta's best position.
The only real difference between Iniesta as LW and CM for Barcelona was in his initial positioning. He was asked to do essentially the same things as ever, only with a bit more directness

For Spain the starting positioning didn't even matter as he ultimately played wherever he wanted. He was asked to be even more direct with his dribbling that at barcelona and use it more.

Ultimately, Iniesta was asked to play as he usually did, only more so. He wasn't asked to almost entirely forgo his natural game and play like a completely different player. He was still very much at his best

Eto'o for 09/10 Inter in the second half of the season was basically Lingard

roonster09

Scout
The only real difference between Iniesta as LW and CM for Barcelona was in his initial positioning. He was asked to do essentially the same things as ever, only with a bit more directness

For Spain the starting positioning didn't even matter as he ultimately played wherever he wanted. He was asked to be even more direct with his dribbling that at barcelona and use it more.

Ultimately, Iniesta was asked to play as he usually did, only more so. He wasn't asked to almost entirely forgo his natural game and play like a completely different player. He was still very much at his best

Eto'o for 09/10 Inter in the second half of the season was basically Lingard
You should stop with these exaggeration to make point.

Puyol also played as FB to make way for inferior CBs, Rooney played as winger to play Berbatov as CF. There are many examples including Iniesta no matter how much you want to twist that.

Stop brining Lingard into this, whatever you post looks so silly when you stoop to that level.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You should stop with these exaggeration to make point.

Puyol also played as FB to make way for inferior CBs, Rooney played as winger to play Berbatov as CF. There are many examples including Iniesta no matter how much you want to twist that.

Stop brining Lingard into this, whatever you post looks so silly when you stoop to that level.
But i'm not. The point i'm making is pretty simple and clear, you just refuse to understand for some reason. Eto'o was a bang average winger for Inter

That is why the examples you're using don't work

roonster09

Scout
But i'm not. The point i'm making is pretty simple and clear, you just refuse to understand for some reason. Eto'o was a bang average winger for Inter

That is why the examples you're using don't work
You said he wasn't considered as important player to bring his best as he was moved to different position. I gave you many examples of great players who were moved out of position to play inferior players. ( what i'm saying is Mourinho felt his team didn't need to get the best out of Eto'o to win, and also didn't rate Eto'o's best high enough to consider him untouchable )

Also link to Barca forum where they discussed whether Iniesta should play as LW or CM. Odd thing to argue if he was playing in the same way and role in both positions. He wasn't playing same role, this is one more argument for the sake of it.

Eto'o wasn't bang average winger for Inter, even if he is average for Inter that's level above Lingard who is just shit.

I find it odd that player's versatility and selflessness is used against him.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You said he wasn't considered as important player to bring his best as he was moved to different position. I gave you many examples of great players who were moved out of position to play inferior players. ( what i'm saying is Mourinho felt his team didn't need to get the best out of Eto'o to win, and also didn't rate Eto'o's best high enough to consider him untouchable )
....the issue here isn't that Eto'o was moved out of position. The issue is that Eto'o was asked to be a completely different player. What he was was one of the best strikers of his or any era, really. Instead, he was asked to be a tactical wide player whose main job was cover the flank and leave the middle to Milito and Sneijder

Also link to Barca forum where they discussed whether Iniesta should play as LW or CM. Odd thing to argue if he was playing in the same way and role in both positions. He wasn't playing same role, this is one more argument for the sake of it.
A link to a forum of people who clearly believe pre-game graphics have any meaning and don't pay attention to what they're looking at. Seriously, try checking the various heat maps for Iniesta playing nominally at CM or LW. You'll see he generally occupied the exact same areas. The real difference being how he played, not where

Eto'o wasn't bang average winger for Inter, even if he is average for Inter that's level above Lingard who is just shit.

I find it odd that player's versatility and selflessness is used against him.
This is less a case of versatility and more a case of winning mentality. Anybody can adapt to a strictly tactical role that's not one's own, where he isn't asked to do much more than run a lot and keep things simple. Few genuine great players are willing to sacrifice themselves like that(Eto'o himself let it be known he wasn't willing m to play like that again after the end of the season)

roonster09

Scout
....the issue here isn't that Eto'o was moved out of position. The issue is that Eto'o was asked to be a completely different player. What he was was one of the best strikers of his or any era, really. Instead, he was asked to be a tactical wide player whose main job was cover the flank and leave the middle to Milito and Sneijder
He did only for Jose as Sneijder confirmed, something that player should be praised for his selflessness and professionalism.

A link to a forum of people who clearly believe pre-game graphics have any meaning and don't pay attention to what they're looking at. Seriously, try checking the various heat maps for Iniesta playing nominally at CM or LW. You'll see he generally occupied the exact same areas. The real difference being how he played, not where
In Pep's positional play, LW and CM plays same role, Ok I believe you rather than Barca fans. This is even ignoring what everyone watched, him starting from left wing/forward position and occupying those positions under Pep.

This is less a case of versatility and more a case of winning mentality. Anybody can adapt to a strictly tactical role that's not one's own, where he isn't asked to do much more than run a lot and keep things simple. Few genuine great players are willing to sacrifice themselves like that(Eto'o himself let it be known he wasn't willing m to play like that again after the end of the season)
So what's your point? How is Eto's agreeing to play as winger for 1 season is used against him? When everyone knows he did it for Jose and team, for only 1 season. Was Milito good enough to be starting player? Yes. was he good enough to fit winger role? No. Was Eto'o good enough? yes as he proved all his career. Was he good enough to play winger role? Yes. As simple as that.

Eto'o, Milito, Sneijder were all great players who were more than good enough to start but out of them Milito wasn't versatile enough or had work rate to play wide positions, which Eto'o had.

Like I said, Puyol also played as RB, LB, CB because it would be comical to watch players like Milito play as FB, doesn't mean Milito was more important, it means Puyol has more to his game to adapt for the team. Same with Rooney and Berbatov. David Villa played as LWF for Spain with Torres leading the line, David Villa anyways ended up as their best player. Again this doesn't mean Torres was better than Villa, it means Villa had more to his game and was good enough to play multiple positions.

Being great player and also versatile is something that should be used infavor of players, not against them.

Anyways @Brwned summed it up nicely.

So if Eto'o at his peak could demonstrate the same goalscoring prowess at the highest level, while simultaneously being able to play a completely different role (mentally, physically, tactically), it seems odd to argue for Lewandowski when he's not only had the same success but also not displayed the same variety.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He did only for Jose as Sneijder confirmed, something that player should be praised for his selflessness and professionalism.
Sure

In Pep's positional play, LW and CM plays same role, Ok I believe you rather than Barca fans. This is even ignoring what everyone watched, him starting from left wing/forward position and occupying those positions under Pep.
Iniesta ended up occupying the same positions whether he nominally started in CM or LW. This is not my opinion, we actually have the means to see that is the case. And as i've mentioned, the role did change, but not significantly enough for this to be a valid example. Iniesta was never asked to move away from his strenghts. He was never asked to be a completely different player

So what's your point? How is Eto's agreeing to play as winger for 1 season is used against him?
I'm not using it against him. I'm not using it for him

Eto'o, Milito, Sneijder were all great players who were more than good enough to start but out of them Milito wasn't versatile enough or had work rate to play wide positions, which Eto'o had.
Eto'o was one of the best players in the world. For half a season at inter, he turned into a water carrier.

Anyways @Brwned summed it up nicely.
no it didn't, that's what i'm arguing here

Let's see if this is easier to understand: Inter's 3 best players in 09/10 were Milito, Sneijder and Maicon. After those 3, Lucio, Zanetti and Cambiasso. Eto'o maybe could be put into this group

And as far as importance to the team, it's the same story

roonster09

Scout
I'm not using it against him. I'm not using it for him
Sure
Again, the difference isn't that Eto'o could and Lewandowski can't, it's that one guy was asked to - because there was a better striker on the team and the manager wanted his team to defend a lot - and the other wasn't.
what i'm saying is Mourinho felt his team didn't need to get the best out of Eto'o to win, and also didn't rate Eto'o's best high enough to consider him untouchable
Looks like a "can loss be a win" type of posts then. You said you are using for him and then use his versatility against him in different posts.

I have given you plenty of other examples too where players played completely different position/roles to accommodate inferior players.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
If Eto'o had torn it up on the left, then sure his versatility would count in his favour.

Don't see how doing a good job there adds much to his legacy. Carrying water is not much of a markup in such comparisons.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Looks like a "can loss be a win" type of posts then. You said you are using for him and then use his versatility against him in different posts.
last time: Eto'o being a water carrier for 6 months doesn't add up to him being a better player than Lewandowski because he could be a functional water carrier.

If people wanted to use Eto'o's versatility in this argument his stint at Sampdoria would actually be a decent shout

I have given you plenty of other examples too where players played completely different position/roles to accommodate inferior players.
No, you haven't. None of the examples you used fall anywhere near the same category as Eto'o's stint in Mou's inter

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Eto'o had torn it up on the left, then sure his versatility would count in his favour.

Don't see how doing a good job there adds much to his legacy. Carrying water is not much of a markup in such comparisons.
THANK YOU

roonster09

Scout
last time: Eto'o being a water carrier for 6 months doesn't add up to him being a better player than Lewandowski because he could be a functional water carrier.

If people wanted to use Eto'o's versatility in this argument his stint at Sampdoria would actually be a decent shout
Him being better player than Lewandowski is enough to tell Eto'o is better player/striker. Him being able to play selfless role is added bonus.

No, you haven't. None of the examples you used fall anywhere near the same category as Eto'o's stint in Mou's inter
:lol: CB playing as FB, ST playing as LW, AM/ST playing as LW is not same as CF playing as LW/RW.

Ok, anything just to argue for the sake of it.

Eto'o only played like a FB against stronger teams, he was like winger/wide forward against every other team. Now don't tell me he played as water carrier against every team. As it is, you have made up so many posts, now this would be too much.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ok, anything just to argue for the sake of it.

Eto'o only played like a FB against stronger teams, he was like winger/wide forward against every other team. Now don't tell me he played as water carrier against every team. As it is, you have made up so many posts, now this would be too much.
Inter played half the season with Milito and Eto'o up top. They were pissing the league, but struggled in CL. Eto'o had been good, but nothing special to that point. Then they got Pandev in January and Mourinho shifted Eto'o to the wing, where he did a very good tactical job but added very little beyond that. Interestingly, the shift worked wonders for them in CL but very nearly cost them the league

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I know it's a thread about Mane but I'll chip in: Eto'o > Lewandowski.

thepolice123

Playing out of position is a nice ability, but if its something you find yourself doing, it is generally because there are better players than you in the team that need to be accomodated.
Gerrard played Right winger for Liverpool under Bentiez. Masherano Alonso > Gerrard?

Played Rightback in ET in the 2005 Cl final. Hamann > Gerrard

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard played Right winger for Liverpool under Bentiez. Masherano Alonso > Gerrard?

Played Rightback in ET in the 2005 Cl final. Hamann > Gerrard
The thing about Gerrard is that he was just as good on the right as he was in the centre. So hardly out of position for the half season he did that (and won pfa player of the year doing so).

Dropping back to rightback late in one game we're trying to see out falls well outside 'generally'.

As I said further down, if Eto'o had been just as good on the wing as he was a centre forward, then his versatility would be commendable. Doing a good job on the wing, but losing a lot of what made you a world class striker in the process makes his 'versatility' (basically just willingness to carry water) more of a footnote.

Righteous Steps

The thing about Gerrard is that he was just as good on the right as he was in the centre. So hardly out of position for the half season he did that (and won pfa player of the year doing so).

Dropping back to rightback late in one game we're trying to see out falls well outside 'generally'.

As I said further down, if Eto'o had been just as good on the wing as he was a centre forward, then his versatility would be commendable. Doing a good job on the wing, but losing a lot of what made you a world class striker in the process makes his 'versatility' (basically just willingness to carry water) more of a footnote.
I’m pretty sure Eto’o best season where he scored something like 37 goals, had him playing a lot of games from the left, he was excellent there as well.

thepolice123

If he was just as good on the right why was he shifted to the AM position the season after? There was even a big debate back then when Bentiez was questioned for not playing him in CM. Gerrard hardly ever nailed down his favoured CM position throughout his career. His position has always varied depending on the tactical instructions of managers. It was similar to Eto'o in that he only really played the CF position under Rijkaard. Under Guardiola and Mourinho he played mostly as the Right sided forward/winger and he still scored loads.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I’m pretty sure Eto’o best season where he scored something like 37 goals, had him playing a lot of games from the left, he was excellent there as well.
Nope. Played CF, Milito was injured basically the entire season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was similar to Eto'o in that he only really played the CF position under Rijkaard. Under Guardiola and Mourinho he played mostly as the Right sided forward/winger and he still scored loads.
Eto'o played as a CF for Barcelona under Guardiola. For Mourinho at inter he scored 16 goals. 10 of which came while playing CF

Eto'o was just not a particularly good player out on the wing

thepolice123

Eto'o played as a CF for Barcelona under Guardiola. For Mourinho at inter he scored 16 goals. 10 of which came while playing CF

Eto'o was just not a particularly good player out on the wing
He was on the wing whenever Messi played the false #9. Even the Cl final against us.

This is such a bizzare argument to make. Just because Mourinho didn't prefer Eto'o as the sole forward doesn't diminish him in anyway. Its just because he's not 6 ft tall with a big build. Milito came to Inter before the Ibra super deal, of course he had to find a way to fit all of them in the same team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was on the wing whenever Messi played the false #9. Even the Cl final against us.
once again, starting position, or positions player occasionally moves into =/= role

This is such a bizzare argument to make. Just because Mourinho didn't prefer Eto'o as the sole forward doesn't diminish him in anyway.
It doesn't! My argument is that it doesn't raise him, either!

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Real reportedly interested in Mane to replace Bale.

let the rumours begin.

Sactown Red

Supports
Liverpool
CAF player of the year. Not to shocking considering the year he has had.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool

let the rumours begin.
He just insisted in October that he wants to remain at Liverpool. I can't imagine much has changed in 3 months.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
He just insisted in October that he wants to remain at Liverpool. I can't imagine much has changed in 3 months.
He might fancy staying for now, but who knows? Not many players rejects Real Madrid. One thing is certain though.. It's gonna cost a truckload of cash if they want him.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

let the rumours begin.
It would take a world record fee to get Mane or Salah if Real or Barcelona did want them. Can't see either of them paying it. Even if they did I think Liverpool would sign Mbappé.

Mbappé will be Madrids next big transfer though I think, so can't see them going after Mane/Salah.

Heinzesight

The snide little bastard would look resplendent in the white of Real Madrid. Fingers crossed he fecks off. The Vermin’s most important player.