Sadio Mane | Performances

RedRover

But a much better chance at the league in Germany than in England. Pretty much guaranteed.
Exactly my point. It's like Scotland.

Each to their own but the PL is by far the best League and if I were a pro, I'd want to play in the best league for as long as possible. The attraction of Madrid and Barcelona I can understand especially given the weather and the history of the clubs, but I wouldn't chuck in playing for one of the best sides the PL has seen to go to Munich.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If I was a top player (which I am), I'd prefer the PL all day long over the Bundesliga too. And Mane reached the CL final 3 times with Liverpool. Bayern one time, in that same period.

So it's not like CL victories are guaranteed at Bayern, especially when Lewandowski leaves.

RedRover

He's won it all with Liverpool. There are certain types who just want to experience some change. Munich isn't the most ugly city/area either, and Mane would know since his time in Salzburg, which is basically around the corner.
As I said above, each to their own and perhaps he has compelling personal reasons for wanting to move. Personally, it's a step down for me, but there you go.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Exactly my point. It's like Scotland.

Each to their own but the PL is by far the best League and if I were a pro, I'd want to play in the best league for as long as possible. The attraction of Madrid and Barcelona I can understand especially given the weather and the history of the clubs, but I wouldn't chuck in playing for one of the best sides the PL has seen to go to Munich.
It's not your point at all. Bundesliga is a big enough league where winning it still matters.

He'll win it a few times whilst he's there, he can't say the same staying at Liverpool where hes already won everything there is to win. He's not bursting onto the scene, he's a seasoned vet at this point that wants more trophies.

thepolice123

Will be a huge loss for them. Don't think Diaz or Jota will make the step up and they will need to replace Firmino too.

RedRover

It's not your point at all. Bundesliga is a big enough league where winning it still matters.

He'll win it a few times whilst he's there, he can't say the same staying at Liverpool where hes already won everything there is to win. He's not bursting onto the scene, he's a seasoned vet at this point that wants more trophies.
It was my point. You might just disagree.

Playing for Bayern currently it's a surprise and a failure if you don't win it, so significant is the gap between them and other clubs. Dortmund are arguably the closest and they lose their bet player every two or three years, sometimes to Bayern.

It's not a competitive league and for that reason, and as I said above I'd rather be at a top 3 side in the PL, especially given the standards Liverpool and City have set which should see them continuing to do well in Europe. I personally think he's more likely to win another European Cup.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Playing for Bayern currently it's a surprise and a failure if you don't win it, so significant is the gap between them and other clubs. Dortmund are arguably the closest and they lose their bet player every two or three years, sometimes to Bayern.

It's not a competitive league and for that reason, and as I said above I'd rather be at a top 3 side in the PL, especially given the standards Liverpool and City have set which should see them continuing to do well in Europe. I personally think he's more likely to win another European Cup.
City have won the last 4 out of 5 leagues and will be heavy favourites next year. He has no guarantees of a league title in England but does in Germany, which is still a big league. At the end of your career, do you want medals and trophies or do you just want to be known for keeping the league competitive but you still ultimately lost to the better team? He's won everything there is to win at pool, now he wants to improve his haul fair enough.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How the heck does he make less money than Oxlade Chamberlain?
Mane was signed in 2016 and Chamberlain in 2017. In 2016 we had no CL football (or European football of any kind) whereas in 2017 we'd played an entire CL campaign which seems to bring a massive cash payout even if you lose the final. It's likely that we were able to pay slightly higher wages in 2017 than we were in 2016.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mane was signed in 2016 and Chamberlain in 2017. In 2016 we had no CL football (or European football of any kind) whereas in 2017 we'd played an entire CL campaign which seems to bring a massive cash payout even if you lose the final. It's likely that we were able to pay slightly higher wages in 2017 than we were in 2016.
We'd have given him 3 raises by now.

Son

We'd have given him 3 raises by now.
That’s why he’s leaving not the trophies thing. I don’t think trophies are as important to players as been respected by their club.

He probably thinks they should have given him a raise sooner. That’s the problem when players become superstars they want to be paid like them without begging for it.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

Why do you think Kane desperately wanted to jump on the City predictable league title and not wait for the legendary Spurs league title

Steven Gerrard probably thinking if rejecting those easy PL titles at Chelsea was worth it right now given that Michael Owen got one

flappyjay

Didn't Mane arrive before Salah? I believe Salah got a pay rise or am I wrong?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mane also signed new contract in 2018, Guardian reported wages as150k. Tbh all these reports are nonsense, they are just picking numbers from spotrac who are just guess work merchants.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Mane also signed new contract in 2018, Guardian reported wages as150k. Tbh all these reports are nonsense, they are just picking numbers from spotrac who are just guess work merchants.
On top of that, our wage structure is highly incentive based, which skews a lot. Our base wages are much lower than our rivals, but our overall salary budget is about par with them.

MrEleson

But surely a pay increase for him is long overdue if he’s that far down the list of the club’s highest earners. As a such a key player, a salary increase should’ve probably been a top priority.

RedRover

City have won the last 4 out of 5 leagues and will be heavy favourites next year. He has no guarantees of a league title in England but does in Germany, which is still a big league. At the end of your career, do you want medals and trophies or do you just want to be known for keeping the league competitive but you still ultimately lost to the better team? He's won everything there is to win at pool, now he wants to improve his haul fair enough.
Personally, I'd want to have played in the best league, and therefore at the highest level of competition for as long as I possibly could, rather than look at a medal or two in a box I won playing for a side who have zero close rivals, while watching my old side still challenge for PL titles. I'd personally want to be at the sharp end of the biggest games in the best league, and if I didn't win, well at least I was there, in the mix.

It may be a "big league" in the eyes of some but it's not for me. One side dominate to the extent that they can usually take the best players from the other half decent teams.

Liverpool seem to be very good at recruitment and Klopp is a top manager. There's no reason they can't win the title next year especially when it might be close enough again to turn on a handful of games, if the standards remain as high as they have.

Last edited:

RedRover

Why do you think Kane desperately wanted to jump on the City predictable league title and not wait for the legendary Spurs league title

Steven Gerrard probably thinking if rejecting those easy PL titles at Chelsea was worth it right now given that Michael Owen got one
Tell me - do you think Kane would have left Spurs for Bayern to win a few easy league titles? Of course he wouldn't.

Gerrard, had he left Liverpool would have joined the best side in the PL - at the time arguably the best league in the world. Not Germany. Kane wanted to Join Man City, one of the best three sides in Europe. It's not a comparison to this.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Mane will be missed. But I don't begrudge him for wanting a new experience at this point, especially with the wage packet being reported. He left it all on the field for us and gave us great memories.

MrEleson

Tell me - do you think Kane would have left Spurs for Bayern to win a few easy league titles? Of course he wouldn't.
That’s a delusional take. You genuinely believe that Kane, who has 0 major trophies to his name would turn down the opportunity to go to a winning club like Bayern just to remain at Spurs because they play in “the competitive premier league”?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Sadio deserves all the money and accolades as he has been a great guy and great player.

He's like the most beautiful and loving young wife you were lucky to have but when she started to sag just a little she decided it was time to move on. Leaving me a slot to sign another beautiful and hopefully loving new young wife.

Now that I've applied this to my own marriage I feel a bit depressed.

Valencia Shin Crosses

That’s a delusional take. You genuinely believe that Kane, who has 0 major trophies to his name would turn down the opportunity to go to a winning club like Bayern just to remain at Spurs because they play in “the competitive premier league”?
Yeah Kane's overblown "loyalty" to Spurs always had more to do with the absurd price tags Levy put on him over the years as opposed to his refusal to go anywhere else. If some top club blew Spurs out of the water with a 250m offer he would have left years ago.

RedRover

Yes, I do.

And you've (perhaps deliberately) completely missed the point I was making in my post. Kane was used as an example of players wanting to move for trophies - but it's in no way comparable to Mane, because Kane wanted to move to Man City, one of the best, if not the best, team in Europe, in the best league in Europe. Not Bayern.

By the same token - given where United are, I assume you'd expect Bruno or Ronaldo would jump at the chance to join Bayern?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sadio deserves all the money and accolades as he has been a great guy and great player.

He's like the most beautiful and loving young wife you were lucky to have but when she started to sag just a little she decided it was time to move on. Leaving me a slot to sign another beautiful and hopefully loving new young wife.

Now that I've applied this to my own marriage I feel a bit depressed.
Started to sag? He's been your best player in the second half of the season from what I've seen.

Gurtej

Liverpool losing Mane for 30m is a far worse piece of business than us losing Pogba for free!! I am certain of that!!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Losing him this summer and Salah next summer will be massive. Still, Klopp is Klopp and Pool have been excellent at recruiting under him so I don't think we can say for sure yet how big an impact it will have. But they are basically losing a combined 50 goals.

mono-math

Started to sag? He's been your best player in the second half of the season from what I've seen.
This!

Liverpool fans were talking about him winning the ballon d'or last week. Now that he's leaving, he's not all that?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yes, I do.

And you've (perhaps deliberately) completely missed the point I was making in my post. Kane was used as an example of players wanting to move for trophies - but it's in no way comparable to Mane, because Kane wanted to move to Man City, one of the best, if not the best, team in Europe, in the best league in Europe. Not Bayern.

By the same token - given where United are, I assume you'd expect Bruno or Ronaldo would jump at the chance to join Bayern?

Ronaldo joined Juventus when they were basically a poor man's Bayern and he was less past his best, so your choice of examples is a bit risky.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Yes, I do.

Bayern screwed up against Villareal. Had they not done so it would have provided Liverpool with one top class opponent in the knock-out rounds rather than none. Something they share as being among the best sides around is no interest in players as limited as Bruno.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool losing Mane for 30m is a far worse piece of business than us losing Pogba for free!! I am certain of that!!
Mods, this is the first time ever in my 20 years here, and a bit ironic I know. But I want to report this poster for serious and unnecessary WUMIng.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Doesn't have any feelings for them anymore? Wow.
Just because they won't increase his wages?