Sadiq Khan...

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Can anyone tell me why this bloke gets so much abuse? And why he is perceived as being such a bad mayor of London?

Is it purely racism and hatred because he is Muslim? Or is it something else? For what it's worth, I actually quite like him and really struggle to see what he has done so badly wrong to deserve such vitriol against him.

Sweet Square

Can anyone tell me why this bloke gets so much abuse? And why he is perceived as being such a bad mayor of London?

Is it purely racism and hatred because he is Muslim? Or is it something else? For what it's worth, I actually quite like him and really struggle to see what he has done so badly wrong to deserve such vitriol against him.
It's literally just this. Although he quite a shite mayor.

Precaution

He's a pretty crappy Mayor, terrorism is part of the parcel of living in a city apparently... oh and acid attacks, oh and police cuts oh and knife stabbings... you get the picture.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
To the right-wingers there's a bit of a Schrodinger's Khan predicament they find themselves in, where he's somehow simultaneously a leftist liberal and secret Islamist extremist at the same time. Essentially a disguise for the fact they hate him cause he's Muslim.

RedTiger

Half mast

50k??? Someone's Defo skimming donations.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He's a pretty crappy Mayor, terrorism is part of the parcel of living in a city apparently... oh and acid attacks, oh and police cuts oh and knife stabbings... you get the picture.
Police cuts are responsible from the Home Secretary, so you’ll have to thank May’s government for that. That in turn doesn’t really help with the rise in knife stabbing picture..

All in all the London Mayor doesn’t really have much power. More of a showy role than anything else.

Sigma

The blimp doesn't even really make sense. The Trump one was funny because it was grounded in reality - Trump acts like a baby. Sadiq Kahn and bikini, I don't get it... other than to try and somehow make fun of him for some reason.

Anyway, Kahn has shown he is above them by allowing it.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It's one thing to hear people talking about it on the radio, but seeing the guys in the photo standing there holding the strings.. imagining them waking up early in preparation for this event.. planning it for months.. actually finding other people who want to come on-board, the mind just boggles trying to understand a chain of events lead up to these guys doing this.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The blimp doesn't even really make sense. The Trump one was funny because it was grounded in reality - Trump acts like a baby. Sadiq Kahn and bikini, I don't get it... other than to try and somehow make fun of him for some reason.

Anyway, Kahn has shown he is above them by allowing it.
His reaction has been perfect. I think they expected him to hit back against it which would allow them to make claims of hypocrisy and of Khan being unable to take criticism, but instead they've just been shown up as knobs.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's kind of flattering, no?

As for the racism it's like Americans loving Obama but still being suspicious that he is black and has Muslim hereditary. And I'm not talking about the GOP or rednecks but the ordinary liberal thinking Americans.

A bit like why Imran Khan was not trusted for the last ten years in Pakistan because of the inherent racism against him marrying a Jew (Jemima). The eejit Pakistani public got all the shit they deserved under Zardari and Sharif.

RORY65

It looks a bit like Mourinho, given it has had literally no effect in embarrassing Khan (and him allowing it completely mocks the point which was supposedly about supporting free speech) maybe they could double it up as a Mourinho out thing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Isn't this about Khan removing the bikini posters around London on the basis of body shaming? While his critics claim that it is for religious reasons.

Sigma

Isn't this about Khan removing the bikini posters around London on the basis of body shaming? While his critics claim that it is for religious reasons.
Didn't the guy who started the protest say it was about rising crime levels in London?

Sigma

No idea, I figured it was the posters due to the bikini.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45352622

The fundraising page for the balloon said: "In light of the Donald Trump 'Baby Trump' balloon being allowed to fly over London during his visit to the UK, let's get a 'baby Khan' one and see if free speech applies to all."

It adds: "Under Sadiq Khan, we have seen crime skyrocket to unprecedented levels. People in London don't feel safe and they aren't safe. [...] Khan out."
At the bottom of the page it talks about the 'source' of the satire being a poster, but it doesn't mention anything about that poster being removed and if that was the motivation behind the protest.

hobbers

The balloon was based on him removing bikini adverts from the tube but the reason behind the balloon is the rise in crime.

Pointless all round. But he is quite a shit mayor.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
"That Trump balloon sure was dumb... let's do the exact same thing! That'll show em!"

Maybe they assumed Khan wouldn't allow it and thus look a complete hypocrite but that was never going to happen. D'oh.

The Purley King

He is an appalling mayor. The main thing he promised to get elected was to sort the housing problem out and he is even more behind in that than Boris was. He has done next to feck all to even attempt to address the moped and knife crime issue. Not sure exactly what it is he does do tbh.

Kaos

He is an appalling mayor. The main thing he promised to get elected was to sort the housing problem out and he is even more behind in that than Boris was. He has done next to feck all to even attempt to address the moped and knife crime issue. Not sure exactly what it is he does do tbh.
I’m not his biggest fan but calling him an ‘appalling mayor’ is abit harsh tbh.

I agree he needs to be a little more aggressive with housing, but there’s little he can do to tackle the crime epidemic if there’s sweeping cuts on police and law enforcement services.

The way I see it, the Mayoral role is nothing more than a glorified ceremonial PR gig and a stepping stone for career politicians. It’s harsh to hold the mayor culpable for issues he has little bearing over.

Tarrou

The government is making cuts in policing while violent crime is increasing across UK for the last few years. Surely that should be the focus of peoples anger regarding the knife crime problem?

If Khan is responsible for London then who is responsible for the violent crime rates all over the UK increasing? Khan actually reallocated budget to policing to try and mitigate the effect of the cuts.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A lot of the things he's being criticised for are issues he's having less and less control over.
Front line service has been cut by a third. What do people expect?

Abizzz

Crime and the never ending fight against it is a fact of life... Blaming Khan for saying as much isn't fair in my opinion. The problems that have led to increases in specific types of crimes well predate his time as mayor.

Rather strange to blame him when the former home secretary who should shoulder much of the blame is currently PM too.

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I dunno whether it's different in London but the mayor here has feck all say about anything. It's almost an entirely ceremonial post where they attend the odd charity gala and give the occasional soundbite to the local rags.

But yeah let's blame London knife crime on him and not government cuts. Idiots. There was actually a panorama on knife crime in London last night if anyone saw it. Not only police but youth centres being closed down was a fairly big deal.

Sigma

Before you regurgitate conservative propaganda, at least fact check.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...l-major-cities-new-york-bombing-a7322846.html

Sadiq Khan has said he believes the threat of terror attacks are “part and parcel of living in a big city” and encouraged Londoners to be vigilant to combat dangers.
Which... is obvious, and why the government shouldn't be cutting the police budget.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Didn't the guy who started the protest say it was about rising crime levels in London?
He does come across as a likeable bloke but the balloon is being done because they think he’s a useless mayor and the significant rise in crime since he took over the job. The reason it’s wearing a yellow bikini is because he banned some bikini adverts fron the sides of London buses.

Fully Fledged

Who comes out of this looking weirder? Khan because some made a blimp of him or 4 blokes standing in a street holding a giant floating sex doll?

If they had thousands of people marching with them for some cause that would be okay. That fact that 4 blokes did this together and couldn't get anybody else to stand with them for the press photos show how strange this thing is.

Fully Fledged

Sorry but aren't they all the result of the Tory Austerity cuts?