SAF about Cristiano Ronaldo (France Football)

Jaybomb

Best player I've ever seen play for us.

Wish he'd stayed his career here. Think it's sad how every conversation always turns to him vs Messi, can't we just enjoy the fact that two of the greatest of all time played in the same era?

Who would of thought after his debut he'd go onto win 5 balon d'or
I was only 9 when he debuted and I knew I was witnessing something special. I haven’t felt that way since. A once in a lifetime kind of player.

Darkhorsez

I really miss the good old days with Fergie. The way Fergie describes those matches brought back all the emotions and excitement I had while watching said matches.

It's just not what it used to be. Success or not.
Yeah -me too! What an amazing leader. On Ronaldo, fantastic player and have wished him well even after he left us. But I never was totally bought into him for some reason. Perhaps it was all the diving and hogging on to the ball at the beginning that got me off on the wrong foot with him. Interesting to hear SAF’s comments on how well liked he was in the dressing room. Always felt he was not a great team player and a tad self centred. This is not taking away from the great service or contributions he made to the club.

padzilla

Hipster
Ronaldo forcing through his move to Madrid stopped us winning the Champions League again and really cementing a legacy like the great Milan sides of the late 80s/ early 90s. Well that and the piss poor recruitment process under the Glazers that saw us selling the best player in the world and expecting to still function at the same level by signing Valencia and Michael Owen. That 80 million was spent on the debt and our club has never been the same since. We were coming off winning the league 3 years in a row - since 2009 we have won it twice - and none at all since 2013.

Jaybomb

You can rate whoever you want over anyone else. That's your prerogative.

But it's nonsense to say Ronaldo isn't a United legend. Ronaldo was the man in our best ever team.
He’s a legend for both teams. Just like Pirlo is and many others.

It’s nonsense to say he isn’t a United legend when he gave us so much. He would easily be in the all time greatest United XI.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You can rate whoever you want over anyone else. That's your prerogative.

But it's nonsense to say Ronaldo isn't a United legend. Ronaldo was the man in our best ever team.
I agree. It's also anyone's prerogative to think he let us down and tarnished his name at United by pushing for a move to Real but I can't stay angry at the guy for wanting to play for them.

If that makes me naïve and supine so be it, I just want to remember the good times.

Treble

I don't think SAF says something very interesting here. Imo, he isn't right that Ronaldo was on the same level as Cantona and Scholes. Even when he was 22-23 y.o. he was better - perhaps at the level of Best or thereabouts.

Last edited:

SqueakyWeasel

I think Ferguson loves Ronaldo more than any other player he's had (except perhaps Cantona for his influence which "kick-started" the dominance). Ronaldo is a top five player of all time and cases could be made for top three. Ferguson was instrumental in his development and you can tell he isn't even better about Ronaldo giving his best years to Madrid as he honoured his word with Fergie, gave him an extra season and a world record transfer fee.
… the old ones are the best ;)
100% agree with the original sentiment btw!

Luke1995

He would be a United legend for the playing style he showed here alone even if he had won nothing. He was SO entertaining from 2003 till before the world cup 2006, all he wanted back then was to show his skills and it was so much fun. After that world cup was when he started slowly reducing the frequency of these skills and tricks, although until he left he still did them alot. How can we forget that moment in the Arsenal game where he used dazzling footwork and freestyle to slow the game down in the last minute for example ? At the end of it all, players are defined by moments.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
As time has gone on, I rate Ronaldo's Utd career below that of Scholes, VDS, Giggs and Rooney.

All of them won all he did with us, contributed massively but didn't feck off to a European rival for their best years. It should also be remembered that when he pissed off to Real, they were worse than us!

I like him as a character, I think he's got a good nature. But he's a Madrid legend, not a United one.

I'd rather see Rooney reminisced over than Ronaldo (if we must reminisce over players who've left the club).
Top post

Utd7

I felt like I had lost the love of my life when Ronaldo left for real, it was sickening. Still love him now but hate real.
I feel the same because he's the reason I started supporting football/United.

My only regret is that he didn't stay longer. I understand he wanted to play for Madrid at some point. But when you think about it, 6 years here wasn't that long. Wish he stayed a solid 10 and left at age 27 or so. We would definitely have a few more trophies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I felt like I had lose the ability to distinguish between different colors when Alex Song left for Barcelona, it was sickening. Still love The Color Purple but hate all songs.
:lol::lol:

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
As time has gone on, I rate Ronaldo's Utd career below that of Scholes, VDS, Giggs and Rooney.

All of them won all he did with us, contributed massively but didn't feck off to a European rival for their best years. It should also be remembered that when he pissed off to Real, they were worse than us!

I like him as a character, I think he's got a good nature. But he's a Madrid legend, not a United one.

I'd rather see Rooney reminisced over than Ronaldo (if we must reminisce over players who've left the club).
How many of those players came close to winning world player of the year and were desperately wanted by Real Madrid? Those players were also never in the same class as Ronaldo when he hit his United peak. Not comparable at all.

Ronaldo was always going to Real Madrid at some point. I don’t support United but I would consider him one of your best ever players and he’s a PL legend.

It’s laughable to think that a Utd player who won the world player of the year award doesn’t qualify as a club legend.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How many of those players came close to winning world player of the year and were desperately wanted by Real Madrid? Those players were also never in the same class as Ronaldo when he hit his United peak. Not comparable at all.

Ronaldo was always going to Real Madrid at some point. I don’t support United but I would consider him one of your best ever players and he’s a PL legend.

It’s laughable to think that a Utd player who won the world player of the year award doesn’t qualify as a club legend.
People's criteria differ though. To some sentimentality matters. Using the club as a stepping stone, and generally not wanting to be here isn't looked upon favourably by many. He's the best player the club ever had, but for some that isn't enough. Charlton, Giggs, Cantona etc are all synonymous with the club. But would you ever put a statue of Ronaldo outside the ground when he's more renowned for playing in white than red?

The United

SAF loves him like his son I think. I also think he sees himself in Ronaldo in term of how to get on top and stay there as long as possible while proving his doubters wrong again and again. All the winning mentality and attitude.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think Ferguson loves Ronaldo more than any other player he's had (except perhaps Cantona for his influence which kick-started the dominance). Ronaldo is a top five player of all time and cases could be made for top three. Ferguson was instrumental in his development and you can tell he isn't even better about Ronaldo giving his best years to Madrid as he honoured his word with Fergie, gave him an extra season and a world record transfer fee.
I'd out him joint top with Messi, without a shadow of doubt.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Cristiano Ronaldo is a Man United legend. The fact that he is a bigger Real Madrid legend, changes nothing.

TsuWave

favorite manchester united player of all time. no other player has given me the highs he gave me as a fan.

Dir Wangem

He's obviously a United legend. People need to chill.

Also, did he really give all his best years to Real? The step he took up after leaving wasn't that big, imo. He got slightly more clinical and stronger in the box, but he was essentially the same player.

Drifter

American
He's more of a Real Madrid Legend than a Man United one. But he did turn out to be more than a one trick pony for us.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I completely forgot he was only 23 when he left! That's mental. He was so good at 22.

Sansa Stark

Supports
Real Madrid
I think he is just proud to see how his former kid become a superstar. No doubt that Ronaldo was like a child to him where he nurture him

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If you could have SAF or Ronaldo back for 3 seasons, who would you all pick?
Considering Ronaldo is on the decline now and is 33 in February. If you mean the Ronaldo of 4 to 5 years ago then your question would be him for me.

But right now I would probably say Sir Alex, as long as he had the hunger, drive and energy of when he was at United. As he is old now and been out of the game for a few years maybe he wouldn’t have the energy to do the job.

Would Sir Alex do much better thab Mourinho this season anyway? We are 2nd in the league only behind a City team set to break all kinds of records and still in every competition.

All points considered, I would have Ronaldo, just because Mourinho is doing a great job this season.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
People's criteria differ though. To some sentimentality matters. Using the club as a stepping stone, and generally not wanting to be here isn't looked upon favourably by many. He's the best player the club ever had, but for some that isn't enough. Charlton, Giggs, Cantona etc are all synonymous with the club. But would you ever put a statue of Ronaldo outside the ground when he's more renowned for playing in white than red?
I would summarize it as any player who wins a world player of the year award playing for your club is automatically a legend.

As in remember that Utd player who won the world player of the year award? What a legend.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If you could have SAF or Ronaldo back for 3 seasons, who would you all pick?
Right now in our situation I would take SAF. Would rather both obviously but...

James Peril

Not very good cases though, top 10 of all time easily but top 3 no chance. Everyone has opinions though I suppose.
Wow, talk about click bait. The guy is easily top 2 together with Messi, they both have five Ballon d’Ors to show for it. Both have a longevity and consistency the rest can only dream about.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Wow, talk about click bait. The guy is easily top 2 together with Messi, they both have five Ballon d’Ors to show for it. Both have a longevity and consistency the rest can only dream about.
The Ballon D’or is not what it used to be. But if we are talking about awards, Pele won 3 world cups and scored over 1000 careers goals, Maradona won the world cup and also won Serie A with Napoli against the bigger Italian clubs. Di Stefano won 5 European/CL trophies.

Just because we were not alive to see other greats does not mean they shouldn’t get the recognition they deserve. Especially when people want Messi and Ronaldo to be the 2 best ever all because “we were alive to see them and football has changed and is more demanding so they must be better” and every other cliche.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
I think it said a lot when after winning the European cup SAF stood there to give Ronaldo congratulations and you saw a jubilant Ronaldo react with "BOSS"!! He was obviously very happy to see him again, and at that moment i thought that Ronaldo looked at Fergie as something of a father figure even. Perhaps that relation is understandable, young talents get removed from home at quite a young age, he was 18 when he joined united afaik, i presume SAF poured quite a lot of time in him at that age if only so he wouldn't feel homesick.

Grande

Why is it either or? Ronaldo is a United and Real Madrid legend. He became the worlds best player at United, and was in that time the best player we ever had. And the most important player in the best team we’ve ever had. He was here longer than Cantona, another United legend. The class of 92 are also legends, for different reasons. The Busby babes for different reasons. Charlton, Law, Best, for different reasons.

If anyone, Best is who Ronaldo reminds me of. Both fiercely dedicated, a head above the rest in ability, huge egoes, but both had a bigger love/ghost than United, keeping their years of excellence here limited, and still legendary.

Robson and Scoles where my biggest heroes, but Ronaldo was the boyhood fantasy come true in my own club.

KanieKaned

Once that first flirt with Real came about as his star rose him leaving the club was inevitable. Im just glad to say I saw him play for this club. Super player and a fantastic guy off the pitch. One of the best of my lifetime.