SAF slams FA's 90 minutes rule

032Devil

Fergie slams FA academy rule

Sir Alex Ferguson has taken another swipe at the Football Association's "ridiculous" 90-minute travelling time rule for academy graduates.The Manchester United manager has long held the belief United were being unfairly restricted by the FA regulations, which prevent any club from bringing players to their academy who lived outside the radius of a 90-minute drive from their home ground.

It means United fans living in London and the south-east or Cardiff and the south-west are excluded from training with their favourite club unless they relocate to the north-west.

The Red Devils have tried to get round the system by extending their scouting operation and bringing in highly-rated youngsters such as Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique from the European mainland.

But, as he promoted the annual Under-15 Manchester United Premier Cup, Ferguson has again outlined his opposition to the FA's current rules.

"The academy is a handicap to us," said Ferguson.

"The 90-minute rule is the most ridiculous rule I have ever known. Ninety minutes could be five miles up the road.

"I would have thought it was illegal to deny a young boy the chance to come to a club like Manchester United but it is something we can do nothing about."

Ferguson is convinced the current crop of United youngsters, including its star pupil, Belfast-born defender Jonny Evans, is as good as any which have come through the Old Trafford ranks since the famed 'Class of 92'.

Unfortunately, they were unable to advance beyond the opening round of the Premier Cup, the trophy which brings together 20 top sides from every continent and which has, in the past, been graced by the likes of Lionel Messi, Robinho and Fernando Torres.

Defeat to Brazilian outfit Sao Paulo consigned United to an early exit and Ferguson could yet find himself in the slightly embarrassing situation of handing the trophy over to Arsenal, who still have a chance of reaching the Old Trafford final on Friday.

Nevertheless, he is happy to promote a competition run in conjunction with sportswear giant Nike which, according to United skipper Gary Neville, ensures his club remains at the forefront of worldwide youth development.

"Tournaments like these formed the start of my international education," said Neville.

"By hosting them, I think it proves Manchester United are committed to youth development, something I am very proud of.

"No team in the country will have had nine players who have come through the ranks in their pre-season teams as we have and, along with Ajax, I believe people regard Manchester United as the major developer of talent in Europe."

I would have thought a way around this rule would be to start relationships similar to Antwerp but with lower league English clubs all over the country. This would allow United to take on young players with a promise of graduating to United after the age limit is reached.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He's right. The rule is completely unnecessary. It gives teams in London a greater chance of bringing up youth players as they have a wider array of kids to choose from. It could be worse off though as teams in relatively rural areas would have a hell of a hard time getting youth talent through.

Justin

032Devil said:
I would have thought a way around this rule would be to start relationships similar to Antwerp but with lower league English clubs all over the country. This would allow United to take on young players with a promise of graduating to United after the age limit is reached.
You still can't develop a group of kids together through Utd's setup that way. Besides, instead of grooming them at an early age, they're rotting away somewhere until they're 18 or whatever. The sooner they get rid of the stupid the better.