Saf Tips Irish Duo For International Honours.

Drifter

American
Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped young guns Johnny Evans and Darron Gibson to gain full international honours for Northern Ireland within the next 12 months.

The pair are the most highly-rated players to emerge from last season's United Youth Cup squad, and Ferguson has already confirmed his intention to let them join feeder club Royal Antwerp on loan for the entire duration of the current campaign.

"Those two Irish boys are outstanding," Ferguson told PA Sport. "I would not be surprised if Johnny Evans and Darron Gibson made the full Northern Ireland squad this season."

"I know that Northern Ireland are not endowed with anything like the standard of 20 years ago.

"Nonetheless, these two lads - while lacking experience - have great quality. It would not be a shock to me at all if they played for Northern Ireland."

Gibson and Evans will be joined by full-back Danny Simpson in Antwerp, with Dong Fangzhou also returning to Belgium in the hope he can gain a UK work permit once he has completed three years at the club in December.

Of more immediate concern for Ferguson will be welcoming back the bulk of his squad from their post-World Cup break. All United's England contingent are due at the Carrington training ground - along with Park Ji-sung, Edwin van der Sar and, most intriguingly, Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The Dutch striker was expected to have completed a move to either Real Madrid or Bayern Munich by now.

But as Ferguson reported on Saturday following his side's penalty shoot-out defeat to the Kaizer Chiefs in Pretoria, there was "no progress" on any talks with potential suitors.

There must be a very real possibility Van Nistelrooy will not show up - a decision which would cost the Dutchman two weeks' wages but also bring a move to either Real Madrid or Bayern Munich a bit closer.

SpaceMatlock

I remember David Healy breaking all sorts of records for northern ieland without having featuring for United in the Prem. International football would only be a good thing for two outstanding prospects.

Which league are Antwerp in this season? Are they still in the second tier?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Drifter said:
Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped young guns Johnny Evans and Darron Gibson to gain full international honours for Northern Ireland within the next 12 months.

The pair are the most highly-rated players to emerge from last season's United Youth Cup squad, and Ferguson has already confirmed his intention to let them join feeder club Royal Antwerp on loan for the entire duration of the current campaign.

"Those two Irish boys are outstanding," Ferguson told PA Sport. "I would not be surprised if Johnny Evans and Darron Gibson made the full Northern Ireland squad this season."

"I know that Northern Ireland are not endowed with anything like the standard of 20 years ago.

"Nonetheless, these two lads - while lacking experience - have great quality. It would not be a shock to me at all if they played for Northern Ireland."

Gibson and Evans will be joined by full-back Danny Simpson in Antwerp, with Dong Fangzhou also returning to Belgium in the hope he can gain a UK work permit once he has completed three years at the club in December.

Of more immediate concern for Ferguson will be welcoming back the bulk of his squad from their post-World Cup break. All United's England contingent are due at the Carrington training ground - along with Park Ji-sung, Edwin van der Sar and, most intriguingly, Ruud van Nistelrooy.

The Dutch striker was expected to have completed a move to either Real Madrid or Bayern Munich by now.

But as Ferguson reported on Saturday following his side's penalty shoot-out defeat to the Kaizer Chiefs in Pretoria, there was "no progress" on any talks with potential suitors.

There must be a very real possibility Van Nistelrooy will not show up - a decision which would cost the Dutchman two weeks' wages but also bring a move to either Real Madrid or Bayern Munich a bit closer.
Just a point of accuracy......Gibson plays for the Republic!!!

mista john

SpaceMatlock said:
I remember David Healy breaking all sorts of records for northern ieland without having featuring for United in the Prem. International football would only be a good thing for two outstanding prospects.

Which league are Antwerp in this season? Are they still in the second tier?
Still in second tier. MU seem to be serious this year. Frazier Campbell also on the way. Andy Welsh (ex Blackpool) is currently coaching the side. It's the first time United has sent players for pre-season at Antwerp. Usually it is November or more likely January, when their impact is reduced.

westlife4ever

Gibson was born in Derry, NI. He represents Rep. of Ireland u19, but could still choose either of the two national teams under FIFA's regulation.

heffa

Big cow?
Lets hope he is correct anout the prospects of these two youngsters and they gain valuable experience that propels them to being able to make an imoact in the United first team.