Saidy Janko signs

Rossa

Can't be stressed enough can it ? I think he looks very good for someone his age at this level. He hasn't disgraced himself defensively at all in my opinion and will only continue to learn. To think he can play all down the flank as well, never a bad thing.
Spot on there, mate. When I watched a Youtube video of Wilson, a quick, technical player with the shirt number 11 caught my eye. He wouldn't have if he was a clueluess sprinter. That was before I knew it was Janko. After watching a few clips, he looks decent enough. At 18, he will become even faster, and he looks Valencia fast already, stronger, and I can only think his decision making and technique will improve too.

Rossa

Just being strong and fast can take you a long way in the PL. If he's one of those lucky players who seem to avoid injuries then he could go a long way. Maybe he'll never be as skillful as Rafael, but maybe he won't be as injury prone either.
True. If not for injuries, Micah Richards would have done quite well I think.

Nickosaur

What's this proper ability he's showing? Can you name a time where he has stood out for something other than being pretty quick & strong? His defending is wayward and relies purely on strength, his positioning is awful, which he (at this level) can get away with, as he's quick as feck, but there have been so many bad moments, I'd be surprised if he plays at Championship level when he matures.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I really see absolutely nothing, brilliant for the reserve team as he will help the team at the end of the day, which will have a positive impact on several interesting youth players, I don't want rid, he isn't special though.
:lol:

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Pleasing to hear he has had a good season. I'm guessing he will go on tour next season. Will be good to get a look at him in the first team.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
True. If not for injuries, Micah Richards would have done quite well I think.
It's one of the biggest things in football. A major reason that Messi and Ronaldo have been so phenomenal is that they have been amazingly injury free. But even for lesser players it's so crucial. Nobody would say that Evra is one of the most talented LBs ever to play football, but he's been amazingly resilient and lucky with injuries and has played a huge number of games at the highest levels. If Rafael was as injury free as Evra he'd be seen as one of the best young defenders in the world.

Rossa

It's one of the biggest things in football. A major reason that Messi and Ronaldo have been so phenomenal is that they have been amazingly injury free. But even for lesser players it's so crucial. Nobody would say that Evra is one of the most talented LBs ever to play football, but he's been amazingly resilient and lucky with injuries and has played a huge number of games at the highest levels. If Rafael was as injury free as Evra he'd be seen as one of the best young defenders in the world.
Not too sure I agree with the Evra bit; his top level for the 2008-2010 period was amazing, and in my opinion higher than Ashley Cole. Overall I agree 100% though.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Our coaching team has a history of favouring technique over size, and that's why the likes of Cleverley, Lingard, Cole were still given a chance here even though they were physically weak in their growing years. The youth coaches must have seen something special in him considering he have started majority of the U21 matches and has now travelled with the first team as well. It's bit stupid of the posters above who have probably seen a youtube video of him and has written him off due to the fact that he's built like a tank.
The latter half of your post is incredibly condescending, especially for posters like myself to read who've watched our youth and u-21's, u-18s, and before that, reserves on mutv every game for years and years now, the reason I'm not particuarly optimistic over him is simply the fact we've seen so many other's who've dominated in the past at that level, with primary attributes to stand out being pace and power fail to take the next step up, we only have to look at some of Tunnicliffe's one man team, marauding performances, who went on to win our player of the year award despite having talents like Pogba and Morisson around him yet fail to make the step up.

When I watch Janko the past few games he's mobile yes but he beats his man often with just pace alone, his balls across more often resemble Valencia esq smacks into areas rather than pin point precision pick outs, he's more developed than some others at this point, but personally I'd rate a few in the squad as having a higher potential for the next level when all's said and done.

The commentators on MUTV seem to adore him every time he touches the ball and our coaching staff seem to like him, we'll see what happens but please don't dismiss my post with "probably just seen a youtube clip" becuase it's pretty harsh.

Ekeke

If you think he's just powerful with good pace you're wrong. He's a good enough dribbler and he's starting to make good runs in behind the defence too. He definitely has enough in his locker to be another Valencia-like player.

I wouldnt compare him with right backs though as he'll actually have to play the position and prove something there before we know how good he is. I assume that'll either not happen at all and we'll only use him as a winger, or we'll promote Varela next season and Janko will spend next season playing at right back. Longterm I like the idea of having a player such as him coming from right back. Valencia would have been an amazing player if he could play right back properly, unfortunately he comes up short on most occasions. Having a similar player who didnt leave us exposed at the back would be quite something

Ekeke

The latter half of your post is incredibly condescending, especially for posters like myself to read who've watched our youth and u-21's, u-18s, and before that, reserves on mutv every game for years and years now, the reason I'm not particuarly optimistic over him is simply the fact we've seen so many other's who've dominated in the past at that level, with primary attributes to stand out being pace and power fail to take the next step up, we only have to look at some of Tunnicliffe's one man team, marauding performances, who went on to win our player of the year award despite having talents like Pogba and Morisson around him yet fail to make the step up.

When I watch Janko the past few games he's mobile yes but he beats his man often with just pace alone, his balls across more often resemble Valencia esq smacks into areas rather than pin point precision pick outs, he's more developed than some others at this point, but personally I'd rate a few in the squad as having a higher potential for the next level when all's said and done.

The commentators on MUTV seem to adore him every time he touches the ball and our coaching staff seem to like him, we'll see what happens but please don't dismiss my post with "probably just seen a youtube clip" becuase it's pretty harsh.
Sounds like you accidently watched the first team instead of the under 21s and were watching the real Valencia. Janko has no power on his balls into the box, because he's trying passes to pick people out that unless they are perfect are easily dealt with. Sometimes he still finds his man with them. He never, ever, smacks the ball into an area

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

The commentators on MUTV seem to adore him every time he gets the ball and our coaching staff seem to like him, we'll see what happens but please don't dismiss my post with "probably just seen a youtube clip" becuase it's pretty harsh.
I wasn't mentioning you, but then I am not sure why you're taking so much offense to my post considering you've pretty much written off an 18yr old who in his first season abroad is playing in an higher age group and has done well by all accounts. He wasn't impressive in his first few months but since than has shown that he's a pretty intelligent player and has shown some dribbling skills. It seemed that you've made an judgement on him based on his earlier form and than he has judged him like that irrespective of his improvement in form.

On a sidenote: why is it considered a bad thing on here if he turns out to be Valencia?
Valencia in his prime was an absolute beast for us, it's just that due to some reason his confidence was drained and he stopped taking on players. If he turns out to be as good as Valencia in his prime, then he'll be a huge asset for us.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Sounds like you accidently watched the first team instead of the under 21s and were watching the real Valencia. Janko has no power on his balls into the box, because he's trying passes to pick people out that unless they are perfect are easily dealt with. Sometimes he still finds his man with them. He never, ever, smacks the ball into an area
Umm, he hit a few across the box in the last game vs Villa alone? that is who he resembles for me though, Valencia, except I believe Valencia at his age wasn't as physically developed, he built himself up in his first few years at Wigan if I remember correctly.
Anyway I didn't say hes a kick and run merchant or what not, he does have decent technical ability to go with it but I'm just not overly sold on him to the degree some on Mutv seem to wax lyrical over even the simplest things he does.
Thats what gets me more than anything, the most amusing comment in the Villa game was in the 2nd half where he pushed the ball a long way past the right back and tried to beat him for speed, the tall guy opposite Higginbotham remarks "Oh there'll only be one winner here!" and the defender reached the ball before Janko.., they just really go overboard with the praise lately haha.

Ekeke

Umm, he hit a few across the box in the last game vs Villa alone? that is who he resembles for me though, Valencia, except I believe Valencia at his age wasn't as physically developed, he built himself up in his first few years at Wigan if I remember correctly.
Anyway I didn't say hes a kick and run merchant or what not, he does have decent technical ability to go with it but I'm just not overly sold on him to the degree some on Mutv seem to wax lyrical over even the simplest things he does.
Thats what gets me more than anything, the most amusing comment in the Villa game was in the 2nd half where he pushed the ball a long way past the right back and tried to beat him for speed, the tall guy opposite Higginbotham remarks "Oh there'll only be one winner here!" and the defender reached the ball before Janko.., they just really go overboard with the praise lately haha.
Weak ones? Yeah. No smashes. Ever

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Weak ones? Yeah. No smashes. Ever
Ok, my last words on this because I feel like a bit of a tit putting down one of our youngsters, for me... he's a little overated, for reasons mentioned above, his primary strengths are pace and power, (not his only strengths mind!) but those 2 in particular are easily dealt with in the Premier League, when I watch him play I don't see the final ball or dribbling ability of like a Morrison, when you watched Januzaj the last couple years in the youth then the reserves, he stood out like a beacon, showing awareness of space, movement, vision, exceptional technique etc when being switched left wing or right wing or upfront, none of those types of abilities would I particuarly grant Janko at this stage.

Will he make it? I've really no idea, I hope so! I'll happily hold up my hands and say I was talking shit :) but I just don't see his potential from what I've seen so far matching a few others in this squad in the longterm, i'll now happily shut up and hope I'm proven wrong on the subject!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Just saw his acceptance speech. What a shy lad. Congrats to him though.

Brightonian

I have to say I agree that he's remarkably Valencia-like. Strong and fast, and knows how to use those assets. A good passer of the ball who likes to try and pick someone out in the box with a 'low cross'. Technically, his basics are superb, but he doesn't have the clever feet to be a good dribbler in the true sense of the word. Tactically intelligent and a real defensive asset, but not much creative spark or guile. Even his running style and the way he moves the ball look a lot like Valencia - you could squint a bit and imagine that it's Tony V sometimes.

He's a great player to have in the U21s, and I definitely think he could have a career in the PL (or another top league). But I don't see him making it with us, for all the reasons that Valencia is increasingly unpopular on the Caf. He's just too one-dimensional, and his pace and strength won't be the assets they are now when he's up against grown men and players with the experience to handle him.

The Red Thinker

I have to say I agree that he's remarkably Valencia-like. Strong and fast, and knows how to use those assets. A good passer of the ball who likes to try and pick someone out in the box with a 'low cross'. Technically, his basics are superb, but he doesn't have the clever feet to be a good dribbler in the true sense of the word. Tactically intelligent and a real defensive asset, but not much creative spark or guile. Even his running style and the way he moves the ball look a lot like Valencia - you could squint a bit and imagine that it's Tony V sometimes.

He's a great player to have in the U21s, and I definitely think he could have a career in the PL (or another top league). But I don't see him making it with us, for all the reasons that Valencia is increasingly unpopular on the Caf. He's just too one-dimensional, and his pace and strength won't be the assets they are now when he's up against grown men and players with the experience to handle him.
He's already said that he wants to be a right back more than a winger. So, as a powerful right back he'd be a great stand-in for Rafael. Van Gaal promoted Alaba at Bayern, who is quite similar.

Brightonian

He's already said that he wants to be a right back more than a winger. So, as a powerful right back he'd be a great stand-in for Rafael. Van Gaal promoted Alaba at Bayern, who is quite similar.
I don't like him as a RB. Again, it's a bit like when Valencia plays there. He's got the raw skills - a great tackler, strong, fast, canny - but not the positional brain or the experience which Varela exudes when he plays there. He's not that much like Alaba, who is less physical, and has a more refined running style with the ball - more of a true dribbler and less reliant on burning people off with pace (although obviously Alaba has pace in buckets too).

Besides, Varela is comfortably the better RB at the moment, so if anyone's getting promoted to be Rafa's back-up, it should be him. Janko should get another full year with the U21s, I think. He's doing a great job there, is important to the team, and is probably still settling into life in England. Plus he's still only 19 isn't he? There's no obvious younger RW banging on the door to replace him, so we should let both him and the team enjoy a bit of continuity. Then maybe we can think about getting him a good loan spell and seeing what happens from there.

Conrad

He's 18 which means he's got a hell of a lot of time to improve the parts of his game that are currently lacking.

LR7

Just saw his acceptance speech. What a shy lad. Congrats to him though.
Spoke to Mandy Henry on MUTV soon after in a more relaxed interview and he was a completely different character. Must've been stage fright or something.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I don't like him as a RB. Again, it's a bit like when Valencia plays there. He's got the raw skills - a great tackler, strong, fast, canny - but not the positional brain or the experience which Varela exudes when he plays there. He's not that much like Alaba, who is less physical, and has a more refined running style with the ball - more of a true dribbler and less reliant on burning people off with pace (although obviously Alaba has pace in buckets too).

Besides, Varela is comfortably the better RB at the moment, so if anyone's getting promoted to be Rafa's back-up, it should be him. Janko should get another full year with the U21s, I think. He's doing a great job there, is important to the team, and is probably still settling into life in England. Plus he's still only 19 isn't he? There's no obvious younger RW banging on the door to replace him, so we should let both him and the team enjoy a bit of continuity. Then maybe we can think about getting him a good loan spell and seeing what happens from there.
Agree with every word of this and.....

..most of this. If someone held a gun to my head and asked me whether or not Janko would make it at United based on current evidence, which might happen any day now, I'd have to say no. But, as Handsome Neville mentioned during the u21 game against Norwich, Janko hasn't had the same level of education as the youngsters who've been at the club for years. We saw something special in his physique and mentality but in other areas he's making up for lost time, which muddies the water regarding his ultimate potential.

Brightonian

..most of this. If someone held a gun to my head and asked me whether or not Janko would make it at United based on current evidence, which might happen any day now, I'd have to say no. But, as Handsome Neville mentioned during the u21 game against Norwich, Janko hasn't had the same level of education as the youngsters who've been at the club for years. We saw something special in his physique and mentality but in other areas he's making up for lost time, which muddies the water regarding his ultimate potential.
Yep, very true. I'd never write him off. Just wouldn't expect him to make it based on what we've seen so far.

Ekeke

I'm hoping Varela is promoted to backup right back next season and Janko is first choice right back for the under 21s, where he can use what he's learned in midfield to become a good Valencia-like right back. Something we've worked towards with Valencia for a couple of seasons but clearly he hasnt become solid enough in his defending. With time on his side and most importantly wanting to be a right back unlike Valencia, I think he'll make it.

Decotron

I'm hoping Varela is promoted to backup right back next season and Janko is first choice right back for the under 21s, where he can use what he's learned in midfield to become a good Valencia-like right back. Something we've worked towards with Valencia for a couple of seasons but clearly he hasnt become solid enough in his defending. With time on his side and most importantly wanting to be a right back unlike Valencia, I think he'll make it.
Valera isnt ready to be back up yet imo. Very naive positionally. Bit of a forgotten man but Vermijl should be ahead of him in the pecking order imo

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Looks like the kind of player Van Gaal will love, good with the ball, can run all day and will easily fit into a number of positions, could play full/wing back or right wing, given his size and defensive capabilities could probably also play the right of a centre back 3 like Reiziger used to or make the move into defensive centre mid like De Jong did.

Exciting times ahead.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
For a player who's very strong, Janko doesn't seem to rely on his physical strength to keep the ball. He's very good at protecting the ball when under pressure and is a very good dribbler. Also, whenever he attempts a cross, he knows exactly where to deliver it and is good at spotting the dangerous areas along with spotting the available players. This is a good sign and bodes well for him to develop into a very good crosser of the ball.

My issue with him is that he's very immature as a player. More often than not, he seeks to take on his man and beat him rather than assess other options. Plus, defensively, he's very raw and reliant on his pace and strength. He needs to improve his reading of the situations and his man-marking skills before he can be considered as a full back. As of now, he can become a very good winger given his great deliveries and great technique at protecting the ball and taking it past opposition players. However, as a full back, he'll need to improve his defending before he can even be considered one.

Ekeke

Going to put it out there now that this lad is absolutely built for the right wingback role and I wouldnt be surprised if in a years time, he's our first choice for it ahead of Rafael, Valencia and Varela.

I think with LVG's tendancies he'll have an accelerated path to the first team. Maybe half the season as regular RB for the reserves and then in the 2nd half of the season challenging in the first team.

Brightonian

It's funny how the new formation for the first team makes you notice all the players who really suit the positions specific to it, like wingbacks and left- or right-sided centre backs. I've always had doubts about Janko because he seems a little too one-dimensional as a winger (so much of Valencia about him), but not canny enough as a RB. But he really is tailor made for the wingback role. In a way that, as Ekeke says, Rafael (and Varela) aren't really, despite some people claiming the contrary.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah, good point there by @Ekeke, who has been very positive about things lately. Are you okay, mate?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I agree Janko is suited to wing back, but hard to see him being first choice in a years time if he hasn't even been picked for the pre season squad. Rafael and Valencia are clearly ahead of him, and it would really require the sale of one for Janko to permanently break through. It woluld surely be Valencia and I doubt he''ll be sold in the near future, myself. One for the future though, that's for sure.

Brightonian

I agree Janko is suited to wing back, but hard to see him being first choice in a years time if he hasn't even been picked for the pre season squad. Rafael and Valencia are clearly ahead of him, and it would really require the sale of one for Janko to permanently break through. It woluld surely be Valencia and I doubt he''ll be sold in the near future, myself. One for the future though, that's for sure.
Agreed a year will be too soon for him. I wouldn't bet against him simply taking Valencia's spot over the course of a couple of seasons though. They're remarkably similar players, but Janko has the advantage of not being anywhere near as one-footed as Tony. If he can keep progressing impressively that will ultimately give him a higher ceiling.

And if we end up playing wingbacks regularly (something of which I am not at all convinced), that will seriously help his chances.