Saka 19, Sancho 21, Rashford 23. . . Why were these England’s 3rd, 4th & 5th Penalty Taker?

AFC NimbleThumb

Didn’t Henderson wrestle the ball off DCL in a friendly to take one?

Grealish [albeit only 25 himself] is the second coming of christ with an ego that makes Cantona look reserved according to the Caf.

Didn’t Shaw score in the Europa League Final?

How many trophies has Sterling won?

Maguire & Kane front running to take the 1st & 2nd speaks volumes.

This squad left 3 youngsters out to dry.

I can accept Rashford as he’s shown @ PSG he’s got the nerve; his penalty was poorly placed but Donnaruma had been sent to get chips; he scores that 9 out of 10.

How in the hell were Sancho & Saka down to take the 4th & 5th!?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
agree. so predictable but agree

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sancho has taken penalties for Dortmund relatively often, hasn't he? And Rashford has taken penalties fairly often for us, including high-pressure ones like in the PSG game. Nothing wrong with them being among the first five.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Henderson was subbed in and then subbed off. :lol: You'd think he'd take 1 pen because he's one of the more experienced players and leaders.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sancho has taken penalties for Dortmund relatively often, hasn't he? And Rashford has taken penalties fairly often for us, including high-pressure ones like in the PSG game. Nothing wrong with them being among the first five.
Agreed, but having them take a pen whilst being a 122nd min sub is poor. Frustrating as up until then Southgate was making good decisions.

Nero

Don't think age is any excuse. They are pro-footballers. They can be expected to kick a ball from 12 yards.

CM

They really fecked it with the penalty takers. Sterling hiding, Henderson hooked with 2 minutes to go? No Grealish either. These are experienced players

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agreed, but having them take a pen whilst being a 122nd min sub is poor. Frustrating as up until then Southgate was making good decisions.
Yep, not bringing them on earlier is the big problem. Italy would have killed to have had the likes of Rashford and Sancho to bring on and win the game.

paulscholes18

Henderson was subbed in and then subbed off. :lol: You'd think he'd take 1 pen because he's one of the more experienced players and leaders.
Missed his last two penalties for England, no chance he would be allowed to take one.

Rashford at 3 was fine, he’s got plenty of experience,
Saka shouldn’t have been anywhere near it,
Sancho and Maguire should have swapped positions

VivaRonaldo85

Good on maguire a ‘lump’ of a centre half having the balls to take a pen in the first 5. Shame on the rest of the so called characters

DickDastardly

Why the feck not?

Ok, they missed. But they are attacking players. They practice that.

You don't see fullbacks and centrebacks practicing free kicks after the training session.

Age is not the problem.

Not giving them more then 10 minutes to warm up, is.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't think age is any excuse. They are pro-footballers. They can be expected to kick a ball from 12 yards.
Every single one of them managed to kick a ball from from 12 yards.

Trequarista10

I backed Rashford tbf, he's got plenty of experience given his age and has taken pressure pens for United.

Sancho and Saka, I had zero confidence..

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
We have ex-professionals in the studio banging on about the players not saying no.

I mean ffs, how much pressure on these youngsters to tell an England manager they don't want to take one???

feck off with all that. Southgate is the problem, not these youngsters. If that prick played them earlier instead of bottling it, then we might have stood a better chance.

snk123

Literally everyone scores penalties for fun in practice sessions. The only difference is when there is pressure - and experience counts for a lot in these situations.

Witchking

Southgate has to take the blame here. Sterling played the whole game. A defender is taking the second penalty. So bad.

Even if Rashford is comfortable taking penalties, him and Sancho didn't even get a chance the feel the game. Get into the groove.

At Wembley in a high pressure game, Southgate screwed the team with stupid subs and hung out the players to dry.

passing-wind

They were chosen based on training from Southgate comments. Tactically outclassed by Mancini the game came down to the managers influence. Penalties or not England should have played to win, Italy more experiance and a fantastic tall young keeper.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Unbelievable decision really.

Sancho and Saka taking the last two is embarassing. Sterling in particular had to step up given the tournament he’s had

Kane should have done what Ronaldo did to Moutinho and make him take one. Also, the best taker in the team should always go fifth instead of first. Going first is the easy way out

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Exactly. So they are more than capable.
If you don’t understand, you don’t understand. That’s cool, we can just leave it here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Saka is the only one I don't get... And to be 5th as well? That's absurd... Hasn't Sterling taken City pens? Grealish surely is good at them.

Rashford and Sancho (if he takes them at Dortmund) were fine, just needed to be on 10 minutes earlier to actually be part of the game.

Nickosaur

I have no problem with rashford and sancho taking pens.

I have an issue with specifically bringing them on in the 119th minute to take pens when they've barely played all tournament. That is just ramping up the pressure unnecessarily.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Rashford should be scoring. Goes the right way and still misses. Choke job. The other two is absolutely bizarre.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I have an issue with specifically bringing them on in the 119th minute to take pens when they've barely played all tournament. That is just ramping up the pressure unnecessarily.
Biggest joke was giving 19 year old little Saka the 5th one. Feck me, I would've prefered Pickford to have taken that one.

Drainy

Maybe he thinks being haunted for missing a key penalty at a Euros is like the monster from It Follows and he thinks he's now passed it on?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This is genuinely the least of the mistakes today . They watch these players practice everyday and so are in a much better place to make the call . Jorginho who is arguably one of the best in the world missed one today so it happens

Commentary

I feel sorry for Rashford and Sancho. Being called off the bench cold at the last minute to take a penalty kick.

They didn't even get an opportunity to start playing the ball and warm up.

I hope this doesn't scar them and affect their penalty shots at United. Southgate is a siv of a manager.

Eternitiy

Exactly.

And choosing Saka as your fifth taker after the nervous and overawed performance he just put it... Well, it truly defies belief. I'm mystified.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Didn’t Henderson wrestle the ball off DCL in a friendly to take one?

Grealish [albeit only 25 himself] is the second coming of christ with an ego that makes Cantona look reserved according to the Caf.

Didn’t Shaw score in the Europa League Final?

How many trophies has Sterling won?

Maguire & Kane front running to take the 1st & 2nd speaks volumes.

This squad left 3 youngsters out to dry.

I can accept Rashford as he’s shown @ PSG he’s got the nerve; his penalty was poorly placed but Donnaruma had been sent to get chips; he scores that 9 out of 10.

How in the hell were Sancho & Saka down to take the 4th & 5th!?
2 youngsters, Rashford is 24 for God sake.
I've never heard Grealish talk himself up the way the media do or seen him have an ego like you say..
Luke Shaw had a great tournie, he doesn't have to do everything.
Ditto Sterling (who is a terrilbe peno taker anyway).
The 3 youngsters obviously fancied themselves, they missed, its not the end of the world.

Stop looking for scapegoats. Every member of that squad can be proud, those who scored, those who missed, those who didn't step up. Shit happens.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Anyone who did the basic research on the England squad and their individual penalty record would have seen that the cupboard was pretty bare, despite wins against Columbia and Switzerland in recent years.
  • Kane and Rashford are the only recognised successful penalty takers.
  • Other experienced non-defenders, such as Sterling and Henderson have been very indifferent in their career.
  • I don’t think anyone else has even taken more than a couple.
  • Sancho arguably had the third best record with 3/3 for Dortmund and 10-1 record including youth games.
The England management team had to trust the process and elect penalty takers based on historical record and training performance to fill in the blanks.

This is one of my main problems with someone like Grealish. He’s not a young player, now 25, a talisman for his midtable team, but he has no interest in taking responsibility for penalties and set pieces for club or country. He’d be indispensable for England if he took responsibility for practicing them and matured into a reliable set piece taker.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Rashford and Sancho have been taking penalties in competitive games quite often and they also are very much established players at this point. The issue is that putting them straight before the shootout is just about the worst time that you can put them in, even if they've had, say, 10 minutes in the latter stage of the game, they would've been under less pressure.

I have no idea why Saka was given the 5th one. I know for a fact that Sterling is a horrendous option — he has 2 penalty goals from 5 attempts.

Grealish should've probably taken them, but who knows.