Saka vs Foden vs Palmer

Hammondo

We have rice, one of the best in the world in his position. And stones who is also excellent. We have about a million decent to world class full backs. The only question mark is the other CB spot and GK. The rest of England's first eleven is ridiculously strong.
We don't have a midfielder who can dictate play at all, there is such a gap between defence and attack.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Foden on one wing, saka on the other, Bellingham in the middle, Kane uptop? Mate.

Rice and mainoo behind, engrave the trophy now :drool:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
There's nothing wrong with Saka, but it's Foden > Saka every time.
Based on? I don't dismiss Foden here but I don't particularly see how you can make that statement. The stats for starters are not in your favour, but I dont even see Foden as the key player for City. He is definitely a good player but he is not at the level of a DeBruyne for example. More at the Mahrez level(maybe slightly higher ceiling)

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
White at CB solves a lot of England's issues but you have a terrible manager at the helm so I doubt anything is going to come out of this golden generation of yours.

lex talionis

Based on? I don't dismiss Foden here but I don't particularly see how you can make that statement. The stats for starters are not in your favour, but I dont even see Foden as the key player for City. He is definitely a good player but he is not at the level of a DeBruyne for example. More at the Mahrez level(maybe slightly higher ceiling)
I have no xG or any other metric to test my case on. For me it’s what I see, and what I see are two magnificent footballers, but one stands above the other.

It is true that Foden is not at DeBruyne’s level today, but neither is Saka.

I wonder, though, whether when DeBruyne was at Foden’s current age whether he was at Foden’s level. Maybe, but I don’t think so.

RoyH1

Both are good and if England can accommodate both that's a good thing. Against a low block Foden might be the more effective player

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
White at CB solves a lot of England's issues but you have a terrible manager at the helm so I doubt anything is going to come out of this golden generation of yours.
Pick any two from Stones, Guehi, and White and you’ve got the makings of a decent partnership. Not elite by any means but good enough as long as they are played together enough to develop some understanding. Southgate’s insistence on keeping Maguire in the mix has killed this kind of possibility.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wonder, though, whether when DeBruyne was at Foden’s current age whether he was at Foden’s level. Maybe, but I don’t think so.
Best player in the bundesliga ahead of Robben, Ribery, Muller and Lewandowski in his age 24 season

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I have no xG or any other metric to test my case on. For me it’s what I see, and what I see are two magnificent footballers, but one stands above the other.

It is true that Foden is not at DeBruyne’s level today, but neither is Saka.

I'd argue very few players has been as consistently good as Foden from 18 to 24 but unlike other players has been somewhat held back by a manager who has been very careful in not overplaying, found him a bit to easy to rotate out in a sea of high quality players, and focused more on developing different parts of his game in different positions rather than letting him express himself freely which a lot of other talented youngsters get to do. For his growth as a player, I think this has been to his benefit but I do believe it has made it more difficult for people that haven't watched him play every week for the last six years to appreciate how special he is.

Not sure if he is better than De Bruyne at 24, but I do think he can offer you more in different positions than De Bruyne could at 24, considering De Bruyne was very much a player that thrived in transition and had not yet developed into the player he is now. I certainly would be very happy if he was considered a better player than De Bruyne at the latter stage of his career because I think anyone considered better than De Bruyne is automatically in the top 3 best Premier League players of all-time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Hasn't White played at RB exclusively?

Plus didn't he have a row with Southgate at the WC?

Yeah I'd be shocked if he made it on the plane.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Arsenal have played him at RB since we incorporated Saliba at the start of last season. But he's played over 200 games at CB, so he'd be a great partner for Stones. Though I'd actually prefer a Guehi / Stones paring with White at RB behind Saka. Southgate has a ready-made right flank that plays together at an incredibly high level week in, week out just staring him in the face.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

He has played a lot as a CB. He started as RCB partnered with Gabriel in his first season at Arsenal before moving to RB when Saliba came back from loan and into the team. He also played quite a bit as a CB in a four at Leeds and in a 3 at Brighton.

He did have some kind of issue during the WC, its never been really clarified. He left the tournament early and has been out of the setup since then so I wouldn't expect him back. He is kind of a weird personality in general...super competitive on the pitch but says he has always hated watching football and basically has no interest in the game except for playing it. He might just not care about being in the national team.

Zed is not dead

Genuine question: does anyone remember a great individual performance by Saka during a big game or when facing adversity?

Zed is not dead

Most of the season before Arsenal came of age last year. He was the brightest spark in a poor side.
Im not talking about him having good games.
Im talking about one memorable game against a genuinely better side.

So far he looks to me as a player who’s consistent against average teams but nothing remarkable when the going gets tough.

Walters_19_MuFc

Im not talking about him having good games.
Im talking about one memorable game against a genuinely better side.

So far he looks to me as a player who’s consistent against average teams but nothing remarkable when the going gets tough.
What about Foden? When was his last performance against a top side?

Walters_19_MuFc

To answer your question, it's hard to pinpoint a game where he has been fantastic against a top side. However, he's consistent!

I found it really interesting when you said ' So far he looks to me as a player who’s consistent against average teams but nothing remarkable when the going gets tough'. How many of those players have we got? Players that will consistently turn up against your Brentfords, Fulhams, Lutons, etc? The answer is, not many, and that's one of the reasons we are where we are.

Genuine question: does anyone remember a great individual performance by Saka or Foden during a big game or when facing adversity?
Fixed

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
To answer your question, it's hard to pinpoint a game where he has been fantastic against a top side. However, he's consistent!

I found it really interesting when you said ' So far he looks to me as a player who’s consistent against average teams but nothing remarkable when the going gets tough'. How many of those players have we got? Players that will consistently turn up against your Brentfords, Fulhams, Lutons, etc? The answer is, not many, and that's one of the reasons we are where we are.

Fixed
Didn't Foden bang in a hat trick against your team last season? :lol:

Unless you're suggesting that games against Man United are now no bigger or more special than a run of the mill game against the likes of Crystal Palace and Everton? :nervous:

Walters_19_MuFc

Didn't Foden bang in a hat trick against your team last season? :lol:

Unless you're suggesting that games against Man United are now no bigger or more special than a run of the mill game against the likes of Crystal Palace and Everton? :nervous:
This is what was said.

"Im not talking about him having good games.
Im talking about one memorable game against a genuinely better side."

Now, there's currently not many better sides than Arsenal in the league this season. The only two teams on par are Liverpool and City who neither really stood out in those games, if I remember correctly.

Hope that answers your question.

Wilt

Foden ….every bookmakers clear favourite to win PFA player of the year

Rojofiam

RedCafe experts calling Southgate clueless, but putting Foden on the left wing in their preferred England XIs at the same time :rolleyes:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
RedCafe experts calling Southgate clueless, but putting Foden on the left wing in their preferred England XIs at the same time :rolleyes:
Rashford can be England's very own Mbappé or Vinícius on that left side.
You lost your right to roll your eyes at anyone buddy.

Genuine question: does anyone remember a great individual performance by Saka during a big game or when facing adversity?
Not really, he's just so consistent in giving you a 7/10 game with "only" one goal or an assist that he doesn't stand out. The game against United last year and Liverpool at home were pretty good i think.

eire-red

I would take Foden over Saka. I think he has the ability to be more of a difference maker in tight games with his natural ability on the ball.

Saka is a little more predictable in his game, albeit very hard to stop because he's very good at it. Foden is so illusive, and can do things with the ball that not many can.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
So Foden with one yard of space right outside the box is pretty much a guaranteed goal now... Bastard.

Zed is not dead

Haha fair enough.

Two great games tonight, mind.
Bumping the thread, obviously.

Watching Palmer’s performances this season, I don’t remember watching Saka having this kind of impact, while Foden is barely starting to have an impact on a game overall.

This is all very subjective though

Walters_19_MuFc

Bumping the thread, obviously.

Watching Palmer’s performances this season, I don’t remember watching Saka having this kind of impact, while Foden is barely starting to have an impact on a game overall.

This is all very subjective though
There was a period where Saka was carrying Arsenal for a bit, but Cole Palmer has certainly impressed. Actually, it'd be interesting to hear the opinions of people on here if I added Palmer to the comparison.