Sam Johnstone image 32

Sam Johnstone England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

Given pre-season, and him playing the most minutes as a keeper, I wouldnt be surprised to see him start tomorrow ahead of Romero...
I actually hope he starts ahead of Lindergaard and Romero tbh.

Unless Valdes has sorted things out.

humdinger

Don't see Lindegaard or Romero starting due to not having played for us in pre-season at all (match rhythm and all that) and LVG has said Valdes will leave so surely he is in the same boat as De Gea. Johnstone could well start tomorrow.

khoazany

If Ben Amos could go through a PL match (vs. Stoke) with a clean sheet I have no worries about Sam.Spurs wouldn't be at their best with their pre-season schedule.

Parma Dewol

Come on Sam, this could be your moment! Hope he starts and has a cracking game.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From his wiki site.

"On 25 May 2015, Johnstone kept a clean sheet in the League One play-off Final as Preston won promotion to the Championship with a 4–0 win over Swindon Town at Wembley Stadium.[18]"

He's 22, if he's gonna step up to be a top keeper, why not now? He's represented England youth at multiple levels so he has got what it takes technically it would seem. We should find out if he has it mentally. I say start him against Spurs.

Drifter

American
Really hope he is given a chance tomorrow, but more likely to be Romero.

Raw

From his wiki site.

"On 25 May 2015, Johnstone kept a clean sheet in the League One play-off Final as Preston won promotion to the Championship with a 4–0 win over Swindon Town at Wembley Stadium.[18]"

He's 22, if he's gonna step up to be a top keeper, why not now? He's represented England youth at multiple levels so he has got what it takes technically it would seem. We should find out if he has it mentally. I say start him against Spurs.
Preston fans rated him highly too.

ottosec

I think he will start tomorrow. Valdes is out of favor and Romero has only been training for 2 week max and played no minutes this season. Sam should do well, he looked good in preseason.

This will be a big chance for him, hopefully he will take it!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, would be great if he started and had a good game, and keep a place in the side. I don't know much about Johnstone but what I have seen so far has looked pretty solid. I also thought the same about Ben Foster back in 2009, but the pressure of playing for a club of this size as the #1 totally crushed him. I'd be hoping Johnstone is made of tougher stuff.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Gea mentally impaired
Romero not ready
Valdes and LVG break up
Lindegaard being sold

:lol:

House of Johnstone
That was a bit shit to be fair, unless I'm missing an obvious connection given I haven't watched the show. Otherwise yea, C+, do better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I have faith in him tomorrow, and beyond. The only question is this new trend that has swept through our squad of our defensive players being overlooked due to not having the touch of Zidane. As a last-line of defence, I have every faith.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've literally only just realised, if you were saying his surname as a possessive, he is John Stones...

It's a sign!

Sid234

I'm expecting Sam Johnstone to start as well, especially considering how important match fitness is to Van Gaal, I doubt Romero is at that level.

darioterios

That was a bit shit to be fair, unless I'm missing an obvious connection given I haven't watched the show. Otherwise yea, C+, do better.
you might very well think that, I couldn't possibly agree:D

MV12

Í've got a very good feeling about this lad doing really well for us.
Hopfully he'll keep DDG on the bench througt the whole season.. Now that would be shhweet!

Hammerfell

I'd love it if he was given a chance, he may not be as talented as De Gea but he's got all the attributes to develop into a very good goalkeeper. You never know, he may even be considered one of the best in the world one day.

m1y2

Really hope he is given a chance tomorrow, but more likely to be Romero.
Why would we play keeper like Romero who most likely cant speak English - would struggle coordinating defense, is new to the league and to his teammates and in fact just arrived and didn't feature a game for us? Let alone handling crosses from trippier, Erricksen and Kane on headers.. This would be a hug risk by Van Gaal but strange things had happen under his management so I wouldn't be that surprised.

Other options are - out of favor Valdes who played for reserves, struggled in his first game and would struggle another. He's shit goalkeeper who didn't have a club for year or so and was injured, he would be even a worse option than Romero IMO, really don't rate him and Van Gaal probably took him back to get more money for him when we eventually sell him.

Lindegaard didn't feature at all last three seasons, he's decent goalie but it is clear that Johnstone is now ahead of him as he got more gametime in preseason and showed great potential.

Johsntone has more experience with English football than the three altogether I guess. Let's put him in cage and see what happens. It might be his lifetime chance. It's also a home game and he's our player he will be motivated even more rather than nervous I feel.

Jad

Never going to be a long term solution but I've seen nothing in the friendlies and his appearances for loan clubs to make me think he's a calamity or likely to cause us unnecessary worry, if he does indeed play (as he should).

Looks a solid shot stopper, confident in the air and surprisingly good at coming off his line to claim stray passes. To be honest, he'll probably be better able to deal with the rough-and-tumble of the Premier League - which De Gea and countless other foreign goalies have struggled with - than Romero would anyway, considering his experience in the lower leagues. I suppose we just have to remember that he is a young lad, and as solid as he has looked, he is no De Gea and we can't expect the game-winning heroics we've become accustomed to from our goalie!

m1y2

I've literally only just realised, if you were saying his surname as a possessive, he is John Stones...

It's a sign!
Great save of Johnstone's, cleared by John Stones. Old Trafford cheer the defensive effort.

Never say never.

khoazany

Never going to be a long term solution but I've seen nothing in the friendlies and his appearances for loan clubs to make me think he's a calamity or likely to cause us unnecessary worry, if he does indeed play (as he should).

Looks a solid shot stopper, confident in the air and surprisingly good at coming off his line to claim stray passes. To be honest, he'll probably be better able to deal with the rough-and-tumble of the Premier League - which De Gea and countless other foreign goalies have struggled with - than Romero would anyway, considering his experience in the lower leagues. I suppose we just have to remember that he is a young lad, and as solid as he has looked, he is no De Gea and we can't expect the game-winning heroics we've become accustomed to from our goalie!
This.Even if he's ever going to be that "game-winning heroic" it will need times.

Sid234

I think Johnstone would be better at dealing with the physicality of the PL than Romero. Romero will need time to adjust to the league, and dealing with crosses and corners in a crowded penalty box

ZDwyr

Hope he gets the nod ahead of Romero and plays well.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He look young, solid and confident and I really like that. Too good to be true though if he will make it here, but let's hope he take his chance well.

MarkC

I'm surprised given all the reasons for not wanting Romero to play that people are overlooking his two mistakes last week against PSG.

It can be hard to tell with goalkeepers but for me last week showed I don't think he is quite ready. He would have cost us two goals if it wasn't for Darmian.

togg

Well, he certainly wouldn't be any worse than DDG was for us when he started...he was pretty rough if I remember rightly...but in the main Fergie kept with him. So I reckon we don't have much to lose by pushing him on.

Devil may care

He's no more of a risk than Romero and has played in pre season, might as well start him tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.