Sam Johnstone image 32

Sam Johnstone England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

LR7

Hope he gets the nod and hope he does well. Just hope the reaction on here isn't over the top if he doesn't.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It may be better to start with Jones and Smalling if he starts..to give some extra protection..one good save early on will calm him down..
We are better equipped squad wise with Bastian, Carrick and Morgan to shield the defence than the last few seasons.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Big rumors that he's starting today. Delighted for him if true, and what a show of trust by LvG in him.

Skills

Snitch
Doesn't seem like the type who would get nervous. Delighted for him if he starts.

m1y2

dream has come to an end.. well perhaps now DDG's off, being no2 is much bigger opportunity too, Cup games, waiting for the mistake of No1's. Hope Romero does well tbh.

MarkC

Indeed, before the De Gea situation yesterday Johnstone was being praised by many during his preseason games, now some are looking for mistakes or errors to justify that big stick they need to beat our "un-favoured" players with. I think you're being very generious by saying its nit-picking, I’d say those looking for reasons to justify their criticisms are pathetic, we haven’t even kicked a ball in anger yet FFS :lol:

If Johnstone does start today, I hope for his sake he has a fantastic game, otherwise his error will be brought up time and time again on the Caf.
What are you talking about? My assessment of Johnstone was the same ten minutes after the game go back and check my posts. I said he had done well in other games and then after PSG I said started well but then made a couple of mistakes. So how am I looking to justify my criticisms?

Getsme

What are you talking about? My assessment of Johnstone was the same ten minutes after the game go back and check my posts. I said he had done well in other games and then after PSG I said started well but then made a couple of mistakes. So how am I looking to justify my criticisms?
Was I talking about you? Did I mention your name?

MarkC

The 64th minute isn't fair criticism at all. It isn't even close to a "mistake". The 70th minute incident is poor communication between him and Darmian. Hard to know who to blame there, without knowing whethere there was a call or not.

The fact that we have to get to this level of nit-picking to find a single possible error from his whole pre-season speaks volumes about how assured his actual performances were. DDG has made a whole heap of errors in his United career so far. Last season really stood out as being far more error free than the previous two but they were there, if you analyse his performances as closely as you're analysing Johnstone's.
I was talking about the 70th minute as fair criticism not the one in the 64th. I said regarding that I was being harsh but it was still slightly naive getting caught out like that. We can all make excuses and give reasons but the end result is the same if it costs us two goals.

It's not really a high level of nit-picking he had very very little to do against PSG in the second half yet made at least one unforced error which could have cost us a goal. But i'd agree his performances were good over all. Unfortunately for a goalkeeper you need to be consistent not have 3 good games then potentially costs us in the 4th. I'm not going to compare DDG to Johnstone it's silly but as I said United can't afford to have goalkeeper still learning their trade. DDG was an exception as he had shown world class shot stopping ability in Spain.

MarkC

Was I talking about you? Did I mention your name?
Well I am the only one here to point out he made two errors. Pogue says I am nit picking and you say that nit picking is generous so yes I assume you are talking about me? You quoted his post in response to mine by saying people are just trying to slate him, I haven't seen anybody else point out the errors?

Anybody moving on as I normally agree with your posts and understand how in these days of extreme negativity in the CAF my posts could come across like that but far from it. I like Johnstone just have my reservations on him being good enough.

Anyway enough i'm away to watch the game.

Getsme

Well I am the only one here to point out he made two errors. Pogue says I am nit picking and you say that nit picking is generous so yes I assume you are talking about me? You quoted his post in response to mine by saying people are just trying to slate him, I haven't seen anybody else point out the errors?

Anybody moving on as I normally agree with your posts and understand how in these days of extreme negativity in the CAF my posts could come across like that but far from it. I like Johnstone just have my reservations on him being good enough.

Anyway enough i'm away to watch the game.
In this thread maybe, but there are many other threads where posters are having meltdowns.

settembrini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-furious-club-refuse-let-youngster-loan.html

His agent is an idiot. Check out these quotes he has given the Mail:

Sam just wants to play football but Manchester United are holding him back and not even playing him.

He is a young goalkeeper and it is time for him to play regularly. If that is not at Manchester United, then it has to be elsewhere. This is an example of young English talent being held back by Van Gaal.

The start of the season was the perfect opportunity to give Sam his chance to prove he can play for United. He is ready.

If they do not want him to play then he needs to move for the sake of his career. He cannot sit on the bench or in the reserves.

England should have as many goalkeepers as possible to pick from. Given the early progress in his career that is the level he is aiming for. He is not going to get there by not playing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
His agent is doing his job, and to be honest when the decision was made not to play DDG, Sam should have been first choice.

FromTheBench

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-furious-club-refuse-let-youngster-loan.html

His agent is an idiot. Check out these quotes he has given the Mail:

Sam just wants to play football but Manchester United are holding him back and not even playing him.

He is a young goalkeeper and it is time for him to play regularly. If that is not at Manchester United, then it has to be elsewhere. This is an example of young English talent being held back by Van Gaal.

The start of the season was the perfect opportunity to give Sam his chance to prove he can play for United. He is ready.

If they do not want him to play then he needs to move for the sake of his career. He cannot sit on the bench or in the reserves.

England should have as many goalkeepers as possible to pick from. Given the early progress in his career that is the level he is aiming for. He is not going to get there by not playing.

Why is his agent a Idiot ?

He wants his Client to be playing instead of sitting on the bench as 3rd choice wasting time at this crucial phase of his development.

Johnstone did post a indicator on twitter that he was pissed at not being allowed to go on loan to Preston where he wanted to go, when they signed Pickford after lot of waiting. That was a good oppurtunity for him at a higher level than league 1 at a known and trusted setting.

I'd imagine he'd even be more upset now that a ordinary Romero has been starting over him. Tbf, the club and LVG are messing up his progression.

It would be tough to find a club where they wanna change the GK mid season in the championship, but hope he is allowed to go on loan when the loan window now reopens with De Gea staying. It would be a complete waste to keep him as 3rd choice.

dr.twinny

Exactly. If LVG was not planning on using him at the start of the season, then he should have gone on loan to Preston or another Championship club to get more game time. Playing in the reserves or sitting on his ass with the first team as 3rd choice won't do any good for his development, I'm afraid.

criticalanalysis

For him to put the performances he did in pre-season and do it fairly well (which is basically good for a player of his stature in such a high profile situation), he must had a lot of self confidence and belief. That's what you want to see in a player, let alone a goalkeeper. Obviously maybe the agent's comment don't even represent Johnstone's but I would be more happy that he's annoyed he's not getting the chance than if he was happy to be playing the waiting game because with LVG that's not predictable or reliable at all (look at the youth inclusion in pre-season and not one appearance bar Januzaj..who's left for a year).

It was no exaggeration when people were comparing his sweeping as Neuer-esque. It was decisive and impressive (as it is when it comes off and there were a few times it didn't) and I would like to see more of this.

As first choice keeper? Only LVG can judge that but with Romero in, it seems he really is third choice and who knows if he'll even get a game.

Still he's young so his development should in theory be safe and progressive but look at Januzaj.

NecssryEvil

I would put him in goal before Romero no question, he is a superior keeper.
Not sure that is a real high bar set there based on current form. Romero just looks out of his element, which is weird since I know he has played in huge games before. With DDG back (once he gets his head straight), I would absolutely love to see Johnstone get any games DDG doesn't start, assuming those are cherry picked ones v any kind of injury. If DDG was out for a few games hopefully Johnstone will have a couple games under his belt and we can make a better decision on if he is up to it.

Can't wait to see who starts against pool in a couple weeks.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Hope he goes out on loan when the championship loan window opens. No point staying here as a third choice.

khoazany

He must already looked at his pal Butland and wonder what could have been if he was at a lesser club.

settembrini

Why is his agent a Idiot ?

He wants his Client to be playing instead of sitting on the bench as 3rd choice wasting time at this crucial phase of his development.

Johnstone did post a indicator on twitter that he was pissed at not being allowed to go on loan to Preston where he wanted to go, when they signed Pickford after lot of waiting. That was a good oppurtunity for him at a higher level than league 1 at a known and trusted setting.

I'd imagine he'd even be more upset now that a ordinary Romero has been starting over him. Tbf, the club and LVG are messing up his progression.

It would be tough to find a club where they wanna change the GK mid season in the championship, but hope he is allowed to go on loan when the loan window now reopens with De Gea staying. It would be a complete waste to keep him as 3rd choice.
Van Gaal looked at Johnstone in pre-season and decided he's not ready to start for us but was good enough to be on the bench. Given the uncertainty over De Gea and the fact we were trying to force Lindegaard and Valdes out the club it would have been silly to let him leave and start the season with Romero as our only keeper. Now we have De Gea for the season I'm sure we will be happy to send Johnstone out on loan when the window opens next week.

That's the situation as I see it and it's perfectly normal and understandable. Van Gaal is managing his resources in the interests of United and that means players down the pecking order don't always get what they want. His agent should understand that and if he has a problem then take it up with Van Gaal himself, not launch an attack on our manager in the national press.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Van Gaal looked at Johnstone in pre-season and decided he's not ready to start for us but was good enough to be on the bench. Given the uncertainty over De Gea and the fact we were trying to force Lindegaard and Valdes out the club it would have been silly to let him leave and start the season with Romero as our only keeper. Now we have De Gea for the season I'm sure we will be happy to send Johnstone out on loan when the window opens next week.

That's the situation as I see it and it's perfectly normal and understandable. Van Gaal is managing his resources in the interests of United and that means players down the pecking order don't always get what they want. His agent should understand that and if he has a problem then take it up with Van Gaal himself, not launch an attack on our manager in the national press.
Doesnt the championship loan window close much later than the normal one?Might still get that move.

Sid234

He will be the next England keeper. I have no doubt. I was impressed with him in pre-season. He has the confidence and ability. He still needs to work hard which I have no doubt he will. We will be very stupid to sell him.
Johnstone is far from ready to play regular 1st team football for us. Needs to get more match experience in the Championship and hopefully the PL next season before we can even consider making him the #1. Too much pressure to put on him, we all saw what happened with DDG in his 1st season, and this was a GK who already had 1st team experience with Madrid for a decent amount of time as well

prath92

He will be the next England keeper. I have no doubt. I was impressed with him in pre-season. He has the confidence and ability. He still needs to work hard which I have no doubt he will. We will be very stupid to sell him.
Butland is the same age as Johnstone. And I rate him but Johnstone isnt anywhere close to Butland right now.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think he can go on to be an England international, however I dont think he'll make it here.

And I think that is the correct decision imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.