Sam Johnstone England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Utd 1:0 Club America

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Always liked Sam Johnstone and I think he and Joel Pereira are top goalkeeping talents. I thought he played very well last night, and would have no issue with him being our number 2 keeper next season.

He was reportedly excellent at Doncaster last season too.

Devil may care

I liked his decisiveness in the game last night and his handling was confident, I'd not be opposed to him getting the back up spot this season over the sloth from Argentina we seem to be getting to replace Valdes.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I thought he had a solid game last night against tricky opponents. I'd like to see how he does on this tour and if he performs like he did this morning, then he should be given a chance. He looked far better than Lindegaard that's for sure.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Thought he was good last night, got off his line early and often and judged them all perfectly. Spared the blushes of both Darmian and Carrick, the latter just 10 seconds in to the game.

krazyrobus

Needs to practice his kicking out. Still comfortably better than Lindergaard's though.

Gerald G

I agree. He was so alert yesterday. I just wish we hold off the Romero signing for now and see how Johnstone does on tour or maybe Lindegaard will be sold and we'll go with De Gea, Romero + Johnstone as our 3 goalkeepers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sign Romero and send him out on loan. He isn't going to get better fecking around on the bench.
Keepers get their chances and make their names in injury crises'. When the first choice is injured would be better if he were on the bench rather than on loan. If he is any lower than second choice though, I'd agree with a loan.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Keepers get their chances and make their names in injury crises'. When the first choice is injured would be better if he were on the bench rather than on loan. If he is any lower than second choice though, I'd agree with a loan.
Put in a clause that we can call him back then.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Very impressed with him last night. Read the game well and was quick off his line every time he sensed danger. Definitely a keeper to watch out for!

m1y2

this anti lindegaard agenda is really funny :lol:
Johnstone shown more yesterday though

Last edited:

FromTheBench

He was reportedly excellent at Doncaster last season too.
He was apparently excellent at Doncaster first half and then at Preston too in the 2nd half of the season.

PNE still waiting on Johnstone

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/national-football/pne-still-waiting-on-johnstone-1-7363384

First-choice David de Gea continues to be linked with Real Madrid and his back-up Victor Valdes is set to be sold.

Grayson said: “If Valdes goes, do they get a new No.2 or do Anders Lindegaard and Sam Johnstone move up to be two and three?

“It is a complicated issue and only United and Louis van Gaal will know what they intend to do.

“We will be patient, we have other options but I think Sam is certainly worth waiting for.

“It would be foolish not to have other keepers in mind and there are ones available.

“I could have signed four, five or six different keepers by now but we have decided we want Sam to come back and are prepared to take that risk on getting him back.

“It is a slight risk because we are in the hands of United.

“The lad wants to come back which is a good starting point.”

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I like him. Like a little prodigy of Hoek, think I'd rather him around for a year.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Didn't see the game but very pleased to hear he did well.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm really poor at judging goal keeping talents for the most part. I guess I can identify quality sometimes since I knew from an early stage of Lloris' career he'd be class but in general I'm not sure.

Acole9

Outstanding
He did his chances no harm at all, very quick and positive when coming off his line to deal with any danger. Watched him a couple of times at Preston last season, he does look a decent goalkeeping talent.

nevillestache

Even though the attention was on our new signings yesterday, I couldn't help myself being quite excited about his performance. His reading of the game and his bravery really stood out. It's good to see a young keeper come off his line and take charge of the situation. You'd hope that would impress LVG and Hoek too.

I'd like to see him as our no. 2 next season and get a good run of cup games.

Last edited:

Roboc7

If we end up with Romero and cillesen as our two senior keepers it would be worth his while sticking around because I think he would have a good chance of getting in the side ahead of both of those at some point in the season.

LR7

I think he's promising as well but playing every game on loan would be far better than sticking round here on the bench all season.

Winrar

liked the look of him against club america, not afraid to come off his line.

I wouldn't be against loaning him out again to preston for first team experience in the championship though, as he won't get regular game time for the first team instantly.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
His kicking and passing need some work, but he has the goalkeeping on point. His decision-making, speed of thought, and reading of the situations is amazing, and we know about his reflexes as well.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I like him too but he should go out on loan to Preston and gain that much needed experience at a higher level. Maybe he can do a Hart.

ricky-romeo

Sign romero as de gea's back up. Lindegaard is happy to be number 3 anyway.

Sam needs to go out on loan again. No point of keeping him here even as a number 2. At his age it is better for him to play.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd rather we kept him and had him as the #2 choice battling for the main gig. We are going to get to the point where we cannot keep loaning him out all the time and need to make a definitive decision on him one way or another.

Kaos

Would love it for one of our local lads to be #2 keeper.

I'd keep him this season, give him the cup games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Following the Joe Hart trajectory, he it would be great if he had a PL loan this season, one in which he was first-choice. Then, like Hart, he can return to Manchester ready to be first-choice, once De Gea leaves.

Mani

Sam was impressive in his last game,loan move would sensible.Who knows,he might be our first choice next season.

rover

so he is going to play full 90 mins by the coming game. i wish he fully understands what does it mean. good luck boy

Kakeru

Would love it for one of our local lads to be #2 keeper.

I'd keep him this season, give him the cup games.
Me too.

I always wonder when is the right age to get a homegrown goalkeeper to be part of the main squad. We just can't keep loaning him forever after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.