Sam Johnstone image 32

Sam Johnstone England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

Not sure what games others have been watching but he's looked like a young Gk that won't amount to much to me. Tentative coming out, not confident on the ball. Young keepers like him are a dime a dozen among top flight clubs and if he played for liverpool there wouldn't be a soul suggesting he will be england's #1 sooner or later. I'm sure he'll have a fine career by most standards but first choice for a top club, let alone england? Nah.
I don't think he is tentative at all. He seems quite confident in fact. There was a moment he came out to get the ball and played like a DM for a good 10 seconds. Shot stopping wise he seems good too.

Championship but I agree with your point.Wish we had a quality partnership club like Chelsea has with Vitesse.
Sorry but missed this. And Yeah championship. By the way didn't we have some kind of a similar deal with a Belgian club?

m1y2

Not sure what games others have been watching but he's looked like a young Gk that won't amount to much to me. (Edit - to clarify I meant for us - He may well have a decent career at a championship or low-mid table prem team or career backup at a better team). Tentative coming out, not confident on the ball. Young keepers like him are a dime a dozen among top flight clubs and if he played for liverpool there wouldn't be a soul suggesting he will be england's #1 sooner or later. I'm sure he'll have a fine career by most standards but first choice for a top club, let alone england? Nah.
He seemed very confident throughout the whole tour, his sweeping was almost Neuer-esque much better doing that than Big Dave, it's complete opposite what you said. Also very good on the ball, long kicking finding fellaini easily and short passing very confident, didn't get us into trouble like Dave last game. He may only misjudged one ball played behind our defense but when you have Jones and Blind pushing forward, you have to be quick off the line which he did brilliantly.

He's big young prospect, shame his refelxes weren't tested more. His shot stopping is usually very good due to his great positioning. Loan move to PNE will do him very good , he will come really experienced to fight for the no1 spot or rotation option

ATXRedDevil

He seemed very confident throughout the whole tour, his sweeping was almost Neuer-esque much better doing that than Big Dave, it's complete opposite what you said. Also very good on the ball, long kicking finding fellaini easily and short passing very confident, didn't get us into trouble like Dave last game. He may only misjudged one ball played behind our defense but when you have Jones and Blind pushing forward, you have to be quick off the line which he did brilliantly.

He's big young prospect, shame his refelxes weren't tested more. His shot stopping is usually very good due to his great positioning. Loan move to PNE will do him very good , he will come really experienced to fight for the no1 spot or rotation option
:lol:

The hyperbole here is ridiculous.

I missed the first two pre season games. Perhaps I missed two epic performances. I wasn't really that impressed with him against Barca or psg. Johnstone is 22 years old. Not 18. To put it in perspective, courtois just barely turned 23. De Gea will turn 25 later this year. If johnstone was as good as some are making out on here he wouldn't be playing at PNE...

He will have a career similar to Ben foster, at best based on what I've seen.

Momochiru

I missed the first two pre season games. Perhaps I missed two epic performances. I wasn't really that impressed with him against Barca or psg. Johnstone is 22 years old. Not 18. To put it in perspective, courtois just barely turned 23. De Gea will turn 25 later this year. If johnstone was as good as some are making out on here he wouldn't be playing at PNE...

GKs have much longer careers, 2-3 years don't matter that much. To me he outshone DDG during the preseason - he will make it, I'm pretty confident. A year at PNE will be very good for him - he will get tested a lot in the Championship. It will be very good for his development.

m1y2

if you missed the first two games than why don't you shut up?:rolleyes:

he's got already two successful loans and he will have another in championship I am sure of that, he's highly rated there, league 1 and championship are not La liga but they are tough leagues for sure, so the keeper doesn't need to get used to premier league for 2 years like deGea who was average to decent in his first two years.. I am confident he will become better than Ben Foster

Sam

One of the few positives from the tour. He's actually better off his line then DDG.

MarkC

For about ten minutes last night I actually was actually quite excited about him. He seemed confident and his distribution at one point was class. Then Darmian had to save his ass twice as he completely misjudged things and got caught in no mans lands and for me that made it pretty clear to see he isn't ready to be our number 1.

Overall he has had a good tour and have been impressed but at times last night I was starting to worry for him.

ATXRedDevil

GKs have much longer careers, 2-3 years don't matter that much. To me he outshone DDG during the preseason - he will make it, I'm pretty confident. A year at PNE will be very good for him - he will get tested a lot in the Championship. It will be very good for his development.
Aye, it will be. I'm just not quite so bullish. By 22 hart was starting for city and had made his full england debut. I hope he turns out brilliant for our sake and England's. Just don't think it'll happen. As I said - I see a Ben Foster trajectory at best.

if you missed the first two games than why don't you shut up?:rolleyes:

he's got already two successful loans and he will have another in championship I am sure of that, he's highly rated there, league 1 and championship are not La liga but they are tough leagues for sure, so the keeper doesn't need to get used to premier league for 2 years like deGea who was average to decent in his first two years.. I am confident he will become better than Ben Foster
If you can't handle primary school level English than why don't you stop posting? See how easy it is to be a dick?

I admitted I didn't see the first two games to make clear that some other folks clearly have seen more than me and are thus likely better qualified to judge his ability. My point is that based on what I HAVE seen, he's never going to be first choice for us, or England, barring a serious dearth of talent for both teams. It's my opinion based on the ~90 minutes I have seen of him this summer and the clubs he's featured for so far.

m1y2

Aye, it will be. I'm just not quite so bullish. By 22 hart was starting for city and had made his full england debut. I hope he turns out brilliant for our sake and England's. Just don't think it'll happen. As I said - I see a Ben Foster trajectory at best.

If you can't handle primary school level English than why don't you stop posting? See how easy it is to be a dick?

I admitted I didn't see the first two games to make clear that some other folks clearly have seen more than me and are thus likely better qualified to judge his ability. My point is that based on what I HAVE seen, he's never going to be first choice for us, or England, barring a serious dearth of talent for both teams. It's my opinion based on the ~90 minutes I have seen of him this summer and the clubs he's featured for so far.
very legit to make opinion based on 90 odd minutes.. as for the typo, do you really mean it? I bet you can speak as good French and Spanish as me let alone my native language Czech.. so piss off mr. grammar

ATXRedDevil

very legit to make opinion based on 90 odd minutes.. as for the typo, do you really mean it? I bet you can speak as good French and Spanish as me let alone my native language Czech.. so piss off mr. grammar
A typo is mistyping. Not understanding the difference between than and then is something else. If it was truly a (very convenient) typo then you've either got some fat fingers or you're severely lacking dexterity. It's easy to be a dick over something trivial and if you're going to be a dick you probably shouldn't look like a fool doing it.

Anyway, have you seen any of his games on loan or just this pre season? If the latter then you've seen ~270 minutes. At which point between 90 and 270 minutes is one's opinion legitimized? Please enlighten as to your arbitrary cut off for when my opinion can begin to matter.

Furthermore, my opinion is also based on where he's been loaned to, as I stated and you conveniently ignored. Truly elite keepers are usually identified and playing for top clubs, or at least top flight clubs, by the time they're that age. Take courtois, de gea, or even hart. This lad's been playing league 1 football.

Buena noche.

khoazany

Who's the last GK that came from the academy and established himself in the first team?Can't recall any with my limited knowledge about United history.Jimmy Rimmer came through the academy but was never first choice.

Sid234

Who's the last GK that came from the academy and established himself in the first team?Can't recall any with my limited knowledge about United history.Jimmy Rimmer came through the academy but was never first choice.
Tom Heaton was probably the closest I can remember in the recent past as someone who came close being a first teamer I guess.

I know its impossible to predict who might or might not make it but he's probably the best GK prospect we've had come through in quite a while. I saw a few of his games for Preston, and he's very good 1v1, great reflexes and would make a good sweeper keeper. Doesn't mean he's ready to be our #1 but I think he's better than Lindegaard atleast.

he has a lot of potential, and will improve a lot over the coming season as he plays regularly for Preston. Too early to write him off, that too based on pre-season tour games

khoazany

Tom Heaton was probably the closest I can remember in the recent past as someone who came close being a first teamer I guess.

I know its impossible to predict who might or might not make it but he's probably the best GK prospect we've had come through in quite a while. I saw a few of his games for Preston, and he's very good 1v1, great reflexes and would make a good sweeper keeper. Doesn't mean he's ready to be our #1 but I think he's better than Lindegaard atleast.

he has a lot of potential, and will improve a lot over the coming season as he plays regularly for Preston. Too early to write him off, that too based on pre-season tour games
I'm sure there's nobody within the Fergie era.Was thinking more in the 70-80s but can't claim I have heard about many players on that era.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I'm sure there's nobody within the Fergie era.Was thinking more in the 70-80s but can't claim I have heard about many players on that era.
Gary Bailey in the 1980s was the only established first choice keeper I can remember that came through our youth ranks.

khoazany

Gary Bailey in the 1980s was the only established first choice keeper I can remember that came through our youth ranks.
I won't pretend that I know much about a player that played for us before I was born but according to Wikipedia he came to United when he's 20 so not from our academy.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I won't pretend that I know much about a player that played for us before I was born but according to Wikipedia he came to United when he's 20 so not from our academy.
Ah my mistake then! He was before my time as well but I seemed to recall Hughes was our last striker and Bailey our last goalkeeper but apparently I got that wrong.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
So we have five first team goalkeepers. One is a new signing and the other four have completely unclear futures. :lol:

Sam

I'm sure they'll be plenty of teams that will want him on loan. He was getting rave reviews at Preston last season iirc.

LR7

Simon Grayson believes Preston North End have got their hands on a talented young goalkeeper in Jordan Pickford.

The 21-year-old made his debut in Saturday’s 3-2 defeat at Bury after joining the evening before on loan from Sunderland for the season.

Lilywhites boss Grayson had been looking to bring Sam Johnstone back from Manchester United.

A combination of United not being in a position yet to let Johnstone out and Pickford being made available by the Black Cats, led to Friday’s change of course.

Johnstone, and Declan Rudd before him, both impressed during their time at Deepdale and Pickford comes at a similar stage of his development.

“United basically said that they were not prepared to make a decision on Sam yet,” Grayson told the Evening Post. “We waited all summer for news on the situation but we got to a stage where we just felt we were leaving ourselves too vulnerable.

“There was the risk of not getting Sam and then we would have missed out on Jordan, who would have gone to another Championship club.

“During pre-season we had kept our eye on keepers and Jordan was top of the list of young English goalkeepers who could be available.

“Does it close the door on Sam? You would think so, although you can’t say yes or no because anything could happen in the future.

“We are just very happy to have got Jordan here and we go into the season now with a very good goalkeeper.” http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/national-football/pne-keeper-s-a-top-pick-1-7389283

gza the genius

I don't see why that is a problem? We just brought in Romero who you would assume will be second choice. Valdez and Lindegaard will llikely leave, and DDG or a replacement for him will be our starter. It wouldn't make much sense to keep Johnstone here if he wasn't going to see any first team action, surely it would be better for his career to loan him out and start every game for a championship team than to play with the u21 team here.

Sid234

I think the DDG situation is leaving us in a mess.. We should just let him go, try to sign someone like Lloris and allow Sam to go out on loan.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, don't really see how our GK problems have "worsened" with that news. I highly doubt he was going to be an integral part of the squad this season, especially after signing Romero.

Red Comet

I don't see why that is a problem? We just brought in Romero who you would assume will be second choice. Valdez and Lindegaard will llikely leave, and DDG or a replacement for him will be our starter. It wouldn't make much sense to keep Johnstone here if he wasn't going to see any first team action, surely it would be better for his career to loan him out and start every game for a championship team than to play with the u21 team here.
It fits the media's narrative of us as a "club in crisis" at the moment... first ADM, then DDG. We are going to be losing 2 world class players in this window. As if it's not enough a blow to be losing our 1st GK, our 3rd GK also demands to leave if he's not going to start.

Jad

Storm in a teacup as far as the "crisis" line in the media goes.

Obviously sad if true, because he's shown himself to be a solid goalkeeper, and especially surprising for me was that he was so good coming off his line, which is perhaps something Hoek and the staff at United have them all working on now.

I wouldn't have complained if he'd have been our Number 2, but now that's obviously not the case, I wish him the best wherever he goes next, since he'd certainly be one of the better goalkeepers in the Championship. Certainly has a bright future ahead of him, and would not be a surprise at all to see him eventually join the long line of United youth products who have played in the Prem.

Smores

He should leave for his own development to be fair, goalkeepers leaving us have tended to have decent careers...apart from poor Roy Carroll of course :nervous:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Storm in a teacup as far as the "crisis" line in the media goes.

Obviously sad if true, because he's shown himself to be a solid goalkeeper, and especially surprising for me was that he was so good coming off his line, which is perhaps something Hoek and the staff at United have them all working on now.

I wouldn't have complained if he'd have been our Number 2, but now that's obviously not the case, I wish him the best wherever he goes next, since he'd certainly be one of the better goalkeepers in the Championship. Certainly has a bright future ahead of him, and would not be a surprise at all to see him eventually join the long line of United youth products who have played in the Prem.
He wants to be loaned not sold.

Sylar

Given pre-season, and him playing the most minutes as a keeper, I wouldnt be surprised to see him start tomorrow ahead of Romero...

westlife4ever

Given pre-season, and him playing the most minutes as a keeper, I wouldnt be surprised to see him start tomorrow ahead of Romero...
I want to see him start.

Anders played 30 minutes in preseason. Romero is new and doesn't speak English. I really hope Sam is given a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.