Sam Johnstone available for £10 million

lysglimt

Scout
At least if you are to believe the Evening Standard. So if we plan to let DDG to in the summer - that would in my opinion be the perfect choice for a back-up goalkeeper. In my opinion, he is close to Henderson in quality - good age, lots of experience and good friends with a few in our team from his time at the academy.

The only problem I can see is that there must be 3-4 good teams out there who would want him and who can almost guarantee him being a starter.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The question is why would he wanna be a backup when he can play first team football else where

Raw

I don't think he'd be happy to be back up. If West Brom go down then I should think he'd get offers from other PL clubs if he wants to play in the PL.

luke511

In current climate that 10 mil would be better off going towards an outfield position. Romero's still at the club and I imagine there's capable talent coming through the academy currently lining up to be given the chance. (Not including Joel Pereira in this)

Raw

Plus we have too many keepers already. Henderson, De Gea, Romero and Grant is too much, and there's Bishop too.

Focus on figuring out what to do with De Gea then get rid of Romero and/or Grant.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Plus we have too many keepers already. Henderson, De Gea, Romero and Grant is too much, and there's Bishop too.

Focus on figuring out what to do with De Gea then get rid of Romero and/or Grant.
Romero is out of contract in June and Grant will join the coaching staff or leave/retire, I think I read somewhere.

But I don't think Johnstone should be recruited by us. I'd rather see us carry on with the two we've got or get an undisputed #1.

Raw

Romero is out of contract in June and Grant will join the coaching staff or leave/retire, I think I read somewhere.

But I don't think Johnstone should be recruited by us. I'd rather see us carry on with the two we've got or get an undisputed #1.
Ah fair enough.

vodrake

£10m for a player who might play ~5-10 matches a season seems a bit pointless in the current climate. I'd rather bring through an U23's player, or get in one of the many journeyman keepers floating around for a small price, and the £10m go to reinforcing elsewhere

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good to see him managing a PL level career. No point us signing him, we've got 'keepers falling out the ear. A relegation level side like West Brom is the perfect place for him, really.

Nickosaur

Will make an excellent keeper for another PL team. I would have said maybe Brighton but Sanchez has been fantastic since breaking into the team.

Robbie Boy

Seems a-bit expensive for a backup keeper tbh, and not sure why he would want to come back here to warm the bench.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Never understood the obsession this place has with signing new GKs every year. We've got a limited budget and glaring holes elsewhere in the squad, let's for some reason throw 10m on a backup GK we sold for 7m three years ago.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

We can’t carry on with the two we’ve got - they’re two of the highest paid GKs in the world. One of them needs to go.

Castia

Who’s buying De Gea in this market? not a club on the planet would pay him 200k never mind 300+ that he’s on here

He’s going nowhere

stevoc

You no2 goalkeeper should be a kid from the youth team or a journeyman like Van Der Gouw. They don't need to be that good just competent, they'll only be playing a few games every season.

The only reason we've been rotating so much in recent years is we've had keepers who are too good to be back-ups.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
In current climate that 10 mil would be better off going towards an outfield position. Romero's still at the club and I imagine there's capable talent coming through the academy currently lining up to be given the chance. (Not including Joel Pereira in this)
Romero has been in Argentina all season running his contract down. If De Gea goes this summer we'll need to buy a keeper who's going to challenge Henderson.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
£10m for a player who might play ~5-10 matches a season seems a bit pointless in the current climate. I'd rather bring through an U23's player, or get in one of the many journeyman keepers floating around for a small price, and the £10m go to reinforcing elsewhere
And if your number 1 goes down with a long term injury you're happy playing a youth team player or someone at the tail end of their career? That's madness

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Which clubs that could afford him would want De Gea?

Not a dig at De Gea, I just don't see any of the rich clubs needing a goalie.
PSG have been rumoured. I doubt we would be able to sell him but a loan could happen.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Who’s buying De Gea in this market? not a club on the planet would pay him 200k never mind 300+ that he’s on here

He’s going nowhere
Exactly. He's impossible to sell. We may put him on the bench if we decide Henderson is our preferred option but there's no way anyone is buying him.

SATA

De Gea needs to take a pay cut if he wants to move elsewhere. No one can afford his wages and i don't think he's the kind that is happy to just sit on the bench. Hopefully PSG takes him and doesn't fancy Navas anymore

lysglimt

Scout
Of course we don't sign him if we keep DDG and Henderson - but one of those keepers wont spend another season on the bench.

And I can see quite a few clubs interested in signings DDG if he agrees to reduce his wages a bit - and if we sell DDG for £25 mill and sign Johnstone for £10 - we realistically will save about £30 mill the first year alone. And why wouldn't Johnstone want to go to United to play 10-15 matches in his first season ?

Idxomer

Which clubs that could afford him would want De Gea?

Not a dig at De Gea, I just don't see any of the rich clubs needing a goalie.
Juventus, they have Szczesny who's very average.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Exactly. He's impossible to sell. We may put him on the bench if we decide Henderson is our preferred option but there's no way anyone is buying him.
Certainly not a European side anyway. Maybe one of the Chinese sides who have more money than sense would be interested?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
PSG already have one of Europe's best keepers in Navas. Why would they want DDG?
I can't remember where I read it but it was reported after Poch took over that he wanted to replace Navas and De Gea was mentioned.

EDIT: It was the Sun :nervous:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Nah, he can do better than be a #2. He's a solid keeper and good enough to play in this league as a starter for a lot of teams. He'll have a few clubs after him for sure. He'd be a steal for West Ham. Fabianski has been good for a number of years but he's looked shot this season.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People asking why Sam would want to join us? Well for one he would be earning more. Secondly, he would get to play cup games and have more a chance of winning silverware here rather than just jumping around from one bottom PL club to another.

If we manage to offload DDG, I think it would be a decent investment getting Sam back in for 10 million. A solid GK who would keep Henderson on his toes as he could step up if Dean is having a rough few months or something like that.

vodrake

And if your number 1 goes down with a long term injury you're happy playing a youth team player or someone at the tail end of their career? That's madness
But that's seems to be pretty much what most teams do. Very few top level keepers want to be sat on the bench and the difference in level between most backup keepers is too negligible to spend much money on it.

Other than Chelsea with their £70m backup due to circumstances, most of the other top PL teams have either a youth player, a has-been, or some cheap journeyman they picked up from somewhere sat on the bench

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If De Gea is leaving (big if) then what’s wrong with promoting Romero again, or Grant? We’d just go back to having 3 keepers again wouldn’t we?

Nickelodeon

How are people convinced that we should sell De Gea? Nothing that Henderson has done makes him a clear choice over De Gea. De Gea's performances in the Europa League has been even better than what Henderson's were in similar fixtures while Henderson has not really shone in the PL whilst making a few mistakes already.

Given that Henderson is more sellable, I would sell him for 40-50 million (if there are any buyers) and then purchase Johnstone for 10 million to play as backup and if De Gea actually goes to shite, then act as an emergency No.1.

AJ VII

Romero's contract expires in the end of June and none of the youth keepers is good enough to be our backup keeper. Kovar was really promising in u18 but had a horrible loan which broke his confidence. Had high hopes for him, so hopefully he can recover his confidence and form and get a successful loan next season.

Nobody will take De Gea’s wages so we will be stuck with him next season also.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
At his age and ability he'd want to be a starter. Think he's nailed on to go to West Ham (the youngest of their three keepers is 33, and their starter is 36) unless Spurs sell Lloris as their homegrown quota isn't great.

I don't think he'd be happy to be back up. If West Brom go down then I should think he'd get offers from other PL clubs if he wants to play in the PL.
agreed. Good solid keeper. Shouldn’t be a no 2 aged 28 (or whatever he is).

can easily be first choice for 6-7 PL clubs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Bishop is compelte non-entity, same as Grant, Grant's not even played a game in about 4 years. The actual options we have are De Gea and Henderson since Romero's off by all accounts in summer.

RUCK4444

We don’t need him now but he’s an ABSOLUTE steal at that sort of money.

Easily that lots best player and the only one worth signing.