Sam Johnstone available for £10 million

Matthew84!

I'd buy him to challenge Henderson next season,
DDG is leaving,
Romero contract is up,
Grant his contract is up,
Pereria is out of contract.
Anyone saying DDG won't leave or who's going to pay his wages, really? Did Sanchez get the same as Inter as Utd? No!
He'll leaves as he now has a kid and wants to be no 1, He'll get a bumper pay off which means his next club won't have to pay him so much,

Alemar

At least if you are to believe the Evening Standard. So if we plan to let DDG to in the summer - that would in my opinion be the perfect choice for a back-up goalkeeper.
Why do we need to buy him? If our number 1 goalie (be it David or Dean) plays all the games next season (and why not?), back up is only needed in case of red cards and injuries. We have a few already like Nathan Bishop - more then good enough to simply be on the bench.

CM10

If a backup keeper costs that much we'll likely end up paying almost as much as De Gea's yearly salary once wages and other costs are factored in. I think he'll end up staying another year.

Oranges038

Decent keeper but 10m for someone to sit on the bench is a bit much. If DDG does go, better off giving one of the younger guys the spot, or look for an experienced option going free or cheap. Wayne Hennesy and Tom Heaton are out of contract and would be more realistic backup options.

I wouldn't think he would want to come in and play second choice. For himself more than anything else. He's at an age where he needs to play every week, to keep his career at the top going. Otherwise he will end up as second choice for a couple of years and then on somewhere else as second choice. Be forgotten about and end up knocking about mid table championship clubs for the rest of his career. Not a bad career but he's good enough to be playing in the PL every week.

Jezpeza

Personally for me its a newspaper rumour based on a newspaper rumour. If you think rationally, whether de gea wants to go to spain or not, no club in spain that can afford him in terms of fee and wages needs him - real have courtois, atletico have oblak, barca have ter stegen.

read an article on our keepers the other day saying we spend too much on them in wages. We have de gea and deano on 475k a week combined and then grant and romero on 100k combined

grant, romero and pereira are all out of contract and i expect that de gea is no longer first choice and kovar or bishop will become third choice.

And if we do somehow shift de gea we’d want to look for a cheaper experienced no.2 because theres no point of chewing up the budget.

Johnstone is going to have suitors from teams like west ham who would make him number one

lysglimt

Scout
Why do we need to buy him? If our number 1 goalie (be it David or Dean) plays all the games next season (and why not?), back up is only needed in case of red cards and injuries. We have a few already like Nathan Bishop - more then good enough to simply be on the bench.
Seriously you are joking right ?

Do you want to start a season without a decent back-up goalkeeper ? Dare I ask how many minutes you have seen Nathan Bishop play ? You say he is good enough to sit on a bench - he is not there to sit on a bench, he is there to be good enough in case he is needed. And trust me - Nathan Bishop is not.

And what do you think would happen if Henderson got injured september 10th 2021 - and was out for 3 months ? Solskjaer would be ridiculed as being the dumbest manager in the league for not having a decent back-up.

lysglimt

Scout
If a backup keeper costs that much we'll likely end up paying almost as much as De Gea's yearly salary once wages and other costs are factored in. I think he'll end up staying another year.
If DeGea leaves - that is £25-30 million in transfer + £20 million saved in wages. A lot more than Johnstone would cost us

CM10

If DeGea leaves - that is £25-30 million in transfer + £20 million saved in wages. A lot more than Johnstone would cost us
Not a chance we get that much for him. He's the best paid player in the league and highest paid goalkeeper in the world.

Selling players on that money was awkward even pre-covid and there aren't many teams who need a goalkeeper. If De Gea leaves we'd be lucky to get a transfer fee.

Acole9

Outstanding
Seriously you are joking right ?

Do you want to start a season without a decent back-up goalkeeper ? Dare I ask how many minutes you have seen Nathan Bishop play ? You say he is good enough to sit on a bench - he is not there to sit on a bench, he is there to be good enough in case he is needed. And trust me - Nathan Bishop is not.

And what do you think would happen if Henderson got injured september 10th 2021 - and was out for 3 months ? Solskjaer would be ridiculed as being the dumbest manager in the league for not having a decent back-up.
Bishop is just a training ground goalkeeper I think. I don't think his performances for Southend were that good. I know some Southend fans who couldn't understand why we signed him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Most people seem to be ignoring the more obvious reason he might come back here: that he’s looking at Henderson and thinking “That guy is no better than me. I can take his place”. Whether he’s right or wrong, based on what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think there’s so much between them to make that a daft viewpoint.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's had a good season, I wouldn't mind him coming back here.

I saw earlier that we're looking another fellow ex player in Tom Heaton as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Most people seem to be ignoring the more obvious reason he might come back here: that he’s looking at Henderson and thinking “That guy is no better than me. I can take his place”. Whether he’s right or wrong, based on what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think there’s so much between them to make that a daft viewpoint.
I agree, not much between them that I can see

crossy1686

career ending
A player that went on record telling Dean Henderson to leave United if he wants to be number 1, and previously left United because he wanted to be a number 1 somewhere is going to come back and sit on the bench????

Bondi77

Of course we don't sign him if we keep DDG and Henderson - but one of those keepers wont spend another season on the bench.

And I can see quite a few clubs interested in signings DDG if he agrees to reduce his wages a bit - and if we sell DDG for £25 mill and sign Johnstone for £10 - we realistically will save about £30 mill the first year alone. And why wouldn't Johnstone want to go to United to play 10-15 matches in his first season ?
Can you really see De Gea taking a wage cut?
He is going nowhere.

SATA

Bishop is just a training ground goalkeeper I think. I don't think his performances for Southend were that good. I know some Southend fans who couldn't understand why we signed him.
I'm curious why did United even signed him for

golden_blunder

Staff
A player that went on record telling Dean Henderson to leave United if he wants to be number 1, and previously left United because he wanted to be a number 1 somewhere is going to come back and sit on the bench????
Wasn’t aware of that. Tom Heaton or Ben foster it is then

crossy1686

career ending
Wasn’t aware of that. Tom Heaton or Ben foster it is then
Sam Johnstone on Dean Henderson:
'I couldn't think of anything worse than being there (at Old Trafford) and not playing. You want to be playing as a 'keeper. I was asked last week whether I missed United. I said 'no'. I'm playing in the Premier League with West Brom...Deano had a great loan spell at Sheffield United, I can't see him happy sitting down; all Dean wants to do is keep playing. It's stalled. Dean's very young, he probably has to be patient but how long is your career? It flies by. I was probably too patient leaving at 25 - it's a tough situation. I'm sure he is working hard every day. You train all week to play on a Saturday. That's what you are in football for. It will be difficult for him to be No 1, everyone knows what De Gea is capable of. United is such a big club and the pressure there is massive. You are fighting the best keepers all over the world.'

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
At least if you are to believe the Evening Standard. So if we plan to let DDG to in the summer - that would in my opinion be the perfect choice for a back-up goalkeeper. In my opinion, he is close to Henderson in quality - good age, lots of experience and good friends with a few in our team from his time at the academy.

The only problem I can see is that there must be 3-4 good teams out there who would want him and who can almost guarantee him being a starter.
I'm not sure who is gonna pick up his wages even if we try and loan him... genuinley cant think of anybody who is gonna pay us a chunk of money for him?

tenpoless

At least if you are to believe the Evening Standard. So if we plan to let DDG to in the summer - that would in my opinion be the perfect choice for a back-up goalkeeper. In my opinion, he is close to Henderson in quality - good age, lots of experience and good friends with a few in our team from his time at the academy.

The only problem I can see is that there must be 3-4 good teams out there who would want him and who can almost guarantee him being a starter.
Before the we jump to another topic, who would be the buyer exactly? DDG commands a massive wage + a decent fee for a GK that is not young anymore. Not to mention Covid economy.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If I'm West Ham or Everton and I hear he's to be had for £10m then I'd be all over it. They can either keep Pickford / Fabianski and have real competition for places (which I think Johnstone would probably win), or they can get rid of their existing keepers and have a cheaper replacement.

Mark Pawelek

Bishop is compelte non-entity, same as Grant, Grant's not even played a game in about 4 years. The actual options we have are De Gea and Henderson since Romero's off by all accounts in summer.
Grant played 1 game; against Astana in the Europa away. I think both Grant and Romero are off in the summer. I can see Johnstone coming if one of de Gea or Henderson is sold.

foolsgold

I think we all agree that Henderson is our number 1 keeper now. It all comes down to De Gea, I can't see how his pride will allow him to stay and be number 2 after everything he's achieved in his career. I think a solution where he goes out on loan will be found. Not a good solution for us, but a Alexis Sanchez type solution. Probably end up in Italy at a historic but not quite top level anymore club.

With the other departures, we need to sign a keeper, is Sam the guy? Sure it's up to him to do his best and take chances as they come. No one is promised first team football for ever.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think we all agree that Henderson is our number 1 keeper now. It all comes down to De Gea, I can't see how his pride will allow him to stay and be number 2 after everything he's achieved in his career. I think a solution where he goes out on loan will be found. Not a good solution for us, but a Alexis Sanchez type solution. Probably end up in Italy at a historic but not quite top level anymore club.

With the other departures, we need to sign a keeper, is Sam the guy? Sure it's up to him to do his best and take chances as they come. No one is promised first team football for ever.
I think he won’t come unless it’s first team Keeper

sillwuka

I wouldn't be against bringing him in if De Gea left but he's 28 and approaching his peak, would he want to sit on the bench for 90 percent of the season? I'm not sure.

The lure of money and a bigger club will always make someone re- consider their options.

Grant played 1 game; against Astana in the Europa away. I think both Grant and Romero are off in the summer. I can see Johnstone coming if one of de Gea or Henderson is sold.
Grant is a third choice keeper. He has no expectation to play, except in extreme emergency or a complete dead rubber. He allows us to send young keepers on loan to get experience and actual game time rather than having virtually no chance of playing.

an older 3rd choice keeper is valuable. Just not on the pitch.

I don’t see Johnstone as someone who would come on to be second choice. He can be a no 1 at a decent level.

we do need to be very careful and plan our GK options next season, because there’s a real possibility of just having Henderson left from the current 4.

T_Model101

Arsenal could do a lot worse surely. West Ham is also a good shout, especially with Fabianski ageing and somewhat injury prone

davidmichael

If we need to sign a keeper as back up then Johnstone isn’t it as he’s playing regularly and in contention for a England call up so isn’t going to come to us, I’d go for Heaton personally who himself a year or so ago was in England contention but is available on a free and at 34 would much more likely accept a back up role plus he lives locally and a United fan who came through our academy.

Scholsey2004

If we need to sign a keeper as back up then Johnstone isn’t it as he’s playing regularly and in contention for a England call up so isn’t going to come to us, I’d go for Heaton personally who himself a year or so ago was in England contention but is available on a free and at 34 would much more likely accept a back up role plus he lives locally and a United fan who came through our academy.
I think we signed Heaton when he was already a bit older than that, about 20ish if i remember correctly. Not that it makes much difference.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think I'd save the money, apologise to Romero for treating him cnutishly and ask if he's like to be No 2...

Jezpeza

It makes sense to get DeGea off the books because of his 18m a year wages, and we can probably get a fee too.

may be playing devils advocate, but if pereira and romero go, is there anything that wrong with keeping lee grant as no.2? Seeing rumours about tom heaton but seems a bit like for like.

Johnstone will 100% want to go somewhere where he plays every week

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't like the price quoted.

What about PSG keeper on loan to Fulham Areola if DDG end up going to PSG? DDG for 25m + Areola?

It makes sense to get DeGea off the books because of his 18m a year wages, and we can probably get a fee too.

may be playing devils advocate, but if pereira and romero go, is there anything that wrong with keeping lee grant as no.2? Seeing rumours about tom heaton but seems a bit like for like.

Johnstone will 100% want to go somewhere where he plays every week
grant is not a no 2. He’s an emergency keeper. We need a decent back up for Henderson. He’s still very young - he might need to be taken out of the team if form drops, or if he gets an injury, then we can’t rely on Grant playing week in week out for a period of time.

I agree Johnstone is not the answer.

some difficult decisions to make in the GK dept this summer.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yup - he only has to look at henderson and see that a year on the bench does not do your international prospects much good

i have a feeling we still end up with De Gea next season as nobody will pay his wages and a transfer fee - Johnson will move somewhere but somewhere he will get games

GBBQ

Yup - he only has to look at henderson and see that a year on the bench does not do your international prospects much good

i have a feeling we still end up with De Gea next season as nobody will pay his wages and a transfer fee - Johnson will move somewhere but somewhere he will get games
He's 28 and only just got his first call up where he'll likely be 3rd choice keeper. His international prospects might not be the driving force in his decision on where he moves and being the cup keeper at a club that has a chance of silverware might be something he wants to try out.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's 28 and only just got his first call up where he'll likely be 3rd choice keeper. His international prospects might not be the driving force in his decision on where he moves and being the cup keeper at a club that has a chance of silverware might be something he wants to try out.
This is the same sam "no point staying at united sat on the bench" Johnson we are on about right

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2383769/2021/02/12/sam-johnstone-west-brom-manchester-united/?amp