Same Old Tottenham, Always Bottling It

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I've made this comparison over and over again recently, but it's pretty much nailed-on at this point, Spurs will finish sixth:

1. Man United 50
2. Chelsea 48
3. Liverpool 48
4. Aston Villa 47
5. Arsenal 42
6. Everton 37

1. Man Utd 90
2. Liverpool 86
3. Chelsea 83
4. Arsenal 72
5. Everton 63
6. Aston Villa 62

Same core problem as well, no squad depth.
That's an interesting comparison, but I think Spurs have greater quality in terms of depth than that Villa side did. They were truly wafer thin beyond the first eleven, whereas Redknapp has decent options to call off the bench.

I don't see their malaise as being linked to fatigue, certainly no more than all teams at the top. Look at Newcastle, for example, they've relied on a relatively small pool of players and they're actually getting stronger.

Redknapp has screwed his tactics up big time, if you ask me, and Spurs have lost momentum as a result.

Bale's position has been dicked about with, same as Modric - no surprise to see that their form has waned. He's persisted with playing VdV on the right flank at times which is a really unbalanced selection.

The key to Spurs' successes has always been really simple. The likes of Bale and Lennon keeping the width and terrorising their fullbacks, stretching the game and making space for the likes of VdV, Adebayor and Modric. Given their reliance on width, probably second only to United in the PL, they've missed a trick in not getting enough options in those areas. Beyond Bale and Lennon, they've had to rely on the likes of Kranjcar - good player, but he completely narrows the play.

Trionz

Spurs have better squad depth compared to that Villa side.
beyond Carew & Agbonlahor, they had no one till they bough Heskey(who scored on his Villa debut).
While Spurs have enough in them that they didn't mind letting Pienaar go on loan.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Spurs have better squad depth compared to that Villa side.
beyond Carew & Agbonlahor, they had no one till they bough Heskey(who scored on his Villa debut).
While Spurs have enough in them that they didn't mind letting Pienaar go on loan.
Pienaar was another one they bought in but didn't really need.

Redknapp stockpiles these central-cum-wide players for fun, but they never really find a home in his team. Pienaar was wasted just like Kranjcar.

There doesn't ever seem to be a great deal of strategy in Harry's dealings - he just seems to love a transfer. For the life of me, I can't understand why he hasn't bought in at least one more out in out wide man - it's key to how they play.

Think they may be in for Hoillett in the summer; good off both feet, quick, skilful. That said, he's another one who operates quite centrally at times.

In summary, for them to sustain a challenge over a full season, they need more wide players.

Trionz

They could have used Pienaar in the way Bale is operating now, playing in right side nd coming inside and all.
That's how he used to play for Everton before leaving.

Where is Dawson btw?

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea have a mammoth task playing Spuds, Barca, then us and then Barca again. If that doesn't take it out of them, nothing will. The totts are still in the driving seat for 4th and that's where they should finish if they weren't on the back of such a shit run recently. 1 win in 8 is awful, no matter how you look at it and the demoralising effect that has will seep in.. they'll draw/lose a few more. Barcodes on the other hand are looking imperious, hence I'm willing to bet them to finish 4th while Chelsea (who have the toughest fixture list out of all the contenders) and Spuds fight it out for 5th and 6th.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They could have used Pienaar in the way Bale is operating now, playing in right side nd coming inside and all.
That's how he used to play for Everton before leaving.

Where is Dawson btw?
They could have used Pienaar on the right, but it would have led to the same problem of their play being narrowed. It's not ideal, they need proper width.

Dawson is injured, out for the season.

davisjw

As long as it's not Chelsea, I don't care.

I think Spurs will make it. Their only problem is they don't have a team of winners. Most of that team have never won a notable trophy. They need to play one game at a time and forget the end of the season.

Parker was their biggest miss in the last game. He's their lynch pin.

MG

They always start well and look as if they're going to have a good finish, but then collapse in the last couple of months. It always catches me out though. I said a few months ago about how they're playing a lot better than Arsenal, but now they're playing massively worse. They'll be lucky to scrape 4th. Possibly they will, but it'll be a challenge.

Neutral

BTV
We'll see how Wigan go, after we play them tomorrow. A team battling for survival can be as bad as playing one of the top teams - not to mention Wigan have found a bit of form recently(desperately unlucky to lose against Chelsea).

CR#7

but old 'Arry will be the one to lead England to glory

Gazza

Tactically, Spurs have made some poor choices in the last few months

But the match against Norwich suggested to me that fatigue - both physical and mental - is catching up with this lot. They were second to every ball and seemed so lethargic when they had possession.

Gazza

Looked like they underestimated Norwich and then didn't have the fight to get back in it. Should have lost by 2 or 3. Redknapp was amusing on the touchline 'Who wants it?' Er, nobody really Harry.
Thought his interview afterward was bizarre too. Blamed defeat on playing 4-4-2 and the fact that "we don't have the players capable of playing it", and then said some guff about how people always tell him to play 4-4-2 even though "I don't like how we look when we play it".

Why are you playing a formation your players can't play, Harry? Why are you listening to people telling you to play 4-4-2 if you know better? And why are there only 6 games left this season and you're messing with your tactics? You should have that shit automatic by now. Tsk tsk Harry...

Neutral

BTV
To be fair, Spurs have'nt been the same since Harry started his shit about the England job. Thought he lossed the dressing room there because its not something the players want to hear.
So they have no professional pride? They don't want to qualify for the CL, and the bonuses that come with that? Not sure Redknapp, told them to collapse like they did against Arsenal, especially when you consider the start they had to that match....

I just think it's Tottenham being Tottenham, and 'Arry is their excuse this year.

Traub

So they have no professional pride? They don't want to qualify for the CL, and the bonuses that come with that? Not sure Redknapp, told them to collapse like they did against Arsenal, especially when you consider the start they had to that match....

I just think it's Tottenham being Tottenham, and 'Arry is their excuse this year.
I agree with this. They were playing well throughout the season and their 'current' form is just too poor to use Harry as an excuse.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If Harry goes, I wouldn't be surprised for Modric to go, maybe even Bale, unless they can get a really good manager in. Not Juande Ramos.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I don't know what it is, there's a lot of rumours going around (and have been ever since Capello resigned) that either Redknapp has already basically agreed to go to England or he and the players have had some kind of falling out about the possibility of it.

I don't think the effect of it can be dismissed quite that easily, the sharp dividing line is hardly a coincidence. There have been all kinds of professionals who've said such situations have affected them in the past and isn't the only season you've finished outside of the top 2 in the PL era been the season when Ferguson announced he was going to retire?

Even some of the comments recently have been comments from someone who's already got his mind on the England job, rather than the current one at hand.

Either way, the players have been pathetic. And Redknapp recently hasn't been much better.

204Red

Newcastle in the Champions League ?!?... can't say they don't deserve it either.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Should Redknapp take the England job, won't this just be another time he was at a club in poor form, turned them around, then once it goes the other way he jumps ship? Could be way off on that though.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Harry for England!

They seem to be in free fall at the moment.

Any thoughts on why its happening?

Guy Incognito

Harry for England!

They seem to be in free fall at the moment.

Any thoughts on why its happening?
Well, 'Arry not making use of his squad. When everything was fine and dandy at the start of the season, putting a second string team in the Europa League and first eleven in the league, it was no coincidence they looked more fresher and could see out matches. But getting out of Europe in the manner that they did was shocking, it's as if Redknapp sacrified it to stand a chance of getting into the Champions League next season. And we couldn't make any conclusions about the squad in depth because by December time, they had next to no injuries.

Losing to Arsenal was bad but I thought the turning point was when 'Arry openly said "at 0-2, I didn't feel comfortable". Is that what your team wants to hear? They played OK against United but caught on defence twice, which is unforgivable. One win in nine, is it? Not, not good enough. Even if they got into the Champions League next season, I doubt they would get out of their group comfortably given that their coifficent is low.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They still have a chance but they need to pull themselves together. One more loss and it's going to be very tough. Funnily, a loss against Bolton for example will make Villa game much tougher as it'd send Villa into relegation battle. They could lose both those games if they don't improve.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
How depressing it must be to be a Spuds fan...:lol:

I was really rooting for them to get 3rd earlier in the season, but their usual abject 2nd half of the campaign leaves me wanting Newcastle to grab 4th, despite what they have done to us this season.

When 'Arry goes to England, they want to find themselves a manger who can motivate them for a whole season, not just the first half.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bottlers gonna bottle!

Guy Incognito

Apparently Adebayor has had a bust up with 'Arry, hence leaving him out of the QPR game. Kaboul, Lennon & Walker also unhappy.