San Diego Loyal walk off pitch in protest over homophobic slur

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Know this isn't related exactly to this incident.

But I have a question, if you say to a gay player:
"feck off ya fairy" is that then a homophobic slur?

However, what happens if ya say "feck off ya fairy" to a heterosexual player?

Genuinely curious. Same sentence, however can be construed different ways because of who it was said to? I know "people shouldn't talk shit" but it really is part of the game (talking shit, not racist shite or homophobic shite)
It's a homophobic slur either way, isn't it? It's just the level of your own intent to hurt that changes.

(I don't actually know too well how 'fairy' is used, but I'm assuming here that it's basically the same as other homophobic slurs.)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's a homophobic slur either way, isn't it? It's just the level of your own intent to hurt that changes.

(I don't actually know too well how 'fairy' is used, but I'm assuming here that it's basically the same as other homophobic slurs.)
Fairy is just another way of saying weak/soft I think? Northerners call southerners fairies because they wear coats :lol: never really thought about it being a gay slur tbh. Just a way of saying someone is a bit soft. (Fairy's are delicate things aren't they?)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
First match between the teams since last year’s issue. Phoenix’s Twitter team came strong...

Cloud7

First match between the teams since last year’s issue. Phoenix’s Twitter team came strong...

I had a browse of that person’s twitter profile to see if they were the sort of person I imagined them to be. One of the first tweets near the top of his page, replying to the NBA twitter page that posted a video, asking if they could post some white NBA players for once.

Ah the heterosexual white male, truly the most oppressed and persecuted member of the human species.

RoyH1

Sure. Just seems crazy that not one professional currently playing the game has come out. Especially with Europe supposedly being a more progressive, less conservative region than the US.
I think football is one of the last refuge of caveman behaviour in many places in western Europe. It is baffling that even in Scandinavia players are afraid of coming out due to the fear of opposing fans making their lives miserable. There's a Danish player called Viktor Fischer that has gotten homophobic chants in a couple of grounds in Denmark just because of his appearance.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I think football is one of the last refuge of caveman behaviour in many places in western Europe. It is baffling that even in Scandinavia players are afraid of coming out due to the fear of opposing fans making their lives miserable. There's a Danish player called Viktor Fischer that has gotten homophobic chants in a couple of grounds in Denmark just because of his appearance.
FM legend.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
There's a Danish player called Viktor Fischer that has gotten homophobic chants in a couple of grounds in Denmark just because of his appearance.
Yep. I’ve sometimes wondered how it can be that in country that’s pretty progressive all around, football fans are still allowed to scream homophobic slurs without consequense and without it being a bigger story in the media.