Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao or Veron? Who's our worst ever South American at signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Kleberson was a mystery, when he played you were thinking ‘what’s this guy supposed to even do’. Bizarre that he won a World Cup, even Bellion was better than him.

redshaw

Sanchez. Di Maria actually performed well for a time.

Rojo has had some good spells with Jones in 2016/17

KeanoMagicHat

Sanchez by a large distance when you consider his wages and his output to expectation. No other player has had such negative effect on the team. Let's not forget that Sanchez is currently on 3 Premier League goals and he's one of the best paid players in world football. When he's on the pitch, he has ruined every attack. Off the pitch, he has ruined United's wage structure and made it harder to sign players.

Falcao was clearly rushed back from an injury and also had quite high wages but he was never signed permanently. Di Maria, got a decent amount of money back for him and was never that bad, was brilliant at the start and then it was more of an attitude thing than football ability. Veron was a flop but at least had his moments and tried his best.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Without thinking too much about it. But taking into consideration their attitude after leaving and their performances for us.

If it was performances alone, Maria and Tevez be winning

In order..
Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Fred
Maria
Veron
Heinze
Tevez
Anderson
Rojo
Forlan
Romero
Rafael
Valencia

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I just can't bring myself to say Falcao or Sanchez. :(

So I'm going to have to go with Kleberson. He was pretty poor.

Nori-

Veron and Di Maria at least had some short spells where they were half decent

Falcao and Sanchez were both awful from the start but Sanchez takes it for me because of his mammoth wages.

Veron wasnt really that bad. He just didnt quite fit.

Di Maria was the best player we'd had post SAF for the first few games.

Falcao and Sanchez are the two who have never done anything for us.

Inter Yer Nan

All things considered I think Di Maria, given the fee and how spineless he was. He's our worst and he's the player I most regret ever having worn the shirt.

Falcao, unfortunately was awful as is Alexis currently.

Veron was excellent at times, average at times but rarely poor or lazy and never had a bad attitude. He doesn't belong in the discussion IMO.

M Bison

Supports
York City
AdM for me. He just gave up, was a very poor signing as he never wanted to be here and the first sign of the going getting tough he threw in the towel.

Should have been brilliant for us too, I was delighted when we signed him as I felt it was just what we needed. Bitterly disappointed with how it turned out.

Snake.

SAFMUTD

1. Alexis

2. Falcao
3. Di Maria
4. Veron

Alexis is the worst by a huge distance, he is in top wages and is impossible to ship out. We could get rided of the other ones even recouping most of the fee paid. With Alexis we can't even get someone to take him on a free, thats how bad he is.

berbasloth4

i firmly believe if Veron was 28 and signing for us now or playing in the premiership now he would be a massive success. he was a little before his time.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Who cares? It's football, not the X Factor.

Actually, a quick Youtube search says ADM

MattyB1986

Sanchez is probably the biggest flop in our history when you look at what it has cost us and returns gained.

Falcao was shockingly bad, but he was recovering from an injury; emotionally that one hurt more because I wanted him to succeed so bad.

Di Maria was OK to begin with then couldn't cement an actual position and I believe he never wanted to be here but we at least recouped a fee.

Veron was often left in cm and his best games came when he was accompanied by Phil Neville who done the graft, he was a number 10 and before his time in the premier league like Berbasloth4 above said.

But, yeah, all in all, top of the list for United is Sanchez.

fps

i firmly believe if Veron was 28 and signing for us now or playing in the premiership now he would be a massive success. he was a little before his time.
Yes agree he was before his time, although he never quite got used to the pace of the game - he always had that knee strapping, wonder if that was to do with it, and teams press harder now.

Acole9

Outstanding
Definitely Sanchez, Veron was here at the wrong time.

berbasloth4

Yes agree he was before his time, although he never quite got used to the pace of the game - he always had that knee strapping, wonder if that was to do with it, and teams press harder now.
the knee strap was a superstition i think just

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Without thinking too much about it. But taking into consideration their attitude after leaving and their performances for us.

If it was performances alone, Maria and Tevez be winning

In order..
Sanchez
Falcao
Kleberson
Fred
Maria
Veron
Heinze
Tevez
Anderson
Rojo
Forlan
Romero
Rafael
Valencia
What's Heinze doing so high up???

And Forlan, you are romanticising him, blimey. He scored one goal everyone remembers, but I remember his misses mainly.

Fred.

His transfer fee is a mystery, much like Bebe. Did we seriously pay £52m for a guy who isint actually good at anything.

redshaw

Middlesbrough have had better Brazilians than us.

A lot is talked about Argentinians or South Americans in general but I sometimes laugh at how ineffectual or underwhelming the Brazilians we've bought have been. It says more about the club rather the Brazilians themselves.

We'll need Fred and Pereira to be the first ones to stand out this coming season. So far they've been nothing to write home to Brazil about. It's worrying how we have two Brazilian midfielders to count on.

Disclaimer: Pereira plays for Brazil but was born in Belgium

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007

And Forlan, you are romanticising him, blimey. He scored one goal everyone remembers, but I remember his misses mainly.
You seem to get incredibly worked up about other people's opinions.

It's just a subjective fun little thread. Chill

Besides. Forlans 2 goals were very important for me. Even if it's not for you.

Lastwolf

Sanchez,

Falcao was a gamble but it was only 1 season, so was worth a punt, Di Maria was actually alright for 6 months before he got robbed and wanted to leave. Sanchez will be under contract with us until 2022, he will have cost nearly 70million in wages alone. Unless he miracles up the form he hasn't shown in like 2 years at this point, we aren't going to be able to sell him.

Irwin99

Sanchez. So disappointing.

And for all the bad press surrounding Heinze he had a pretty decent first season at the club with some top performances away at Highbury and Anfield and against Chelsea in the league cup semis. Was very limited going forward but a good tackler.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Falcao was laughably bad but I'm not sure anyone expected him to be great. I thought all the others would be brilliant. Veron was occasionally great but mostly decent. How Sanchez ended up so bad is baffling to me

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Not sure whether you mean Heinze was better or worse than that. I reckon better, whatever happened after with his exit. Similar with Tevez.

Disagree about Diego though. He cost 7.5M (Verón's right peg basically) and he scored very important goals. Suarez used to get stick on here for freescoring against Norwich; Diego was the opposite.

2002-03 - All his 6 League Goals (as third choice striker)
Equaliser vs. Villa (1-1)
Winner vs. Southampton (2-1)
Both vs. Liverpool (2-0)
Opener vs Birmingham (2-0)
Winner vs. Chelsea (2-1)

That's 9 points in the bag, 7 if you assume we would have scored the other anyway against Birmingham. We won the league by 5 points.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Veron didn't live up to expectations and the fee was massive at the time, but he did have some good periods and a few really good games. We also had the luxury of having the best midfield in the league, so we were never dependent on him.

Sanchez hasn't lived up to expectations and the wages are huge. The difference is he hasn't had any good periods, nor a single great game. Also, considering the strength of our team there was a lot more riding on him being a success. He's by far the biggest flop, albeit he has still got the chance to rectify that.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sanchez is the worst transfer I can think of in the last decade in terms of value for money.

AlwaysRed66

Sanchez who has destroyed our wage structure & morale. Fans of other clubs just laugh when his name comes up, making us a complete joke. One of the worst transfers ever in a major league.

diarm

Veron was the coolest motherfecker in England for the entire time he spent there, even if he couldn't kick a bucket of sand over.

Di Maria scored that lovely goal against Leicester.

Sanchez has offered absolutely nothing in the shirt. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say I, at 33 years of age and sporting a healthy belly, would have been a better signing for the club.

Foxbatt

Forlan to be has to be omitted from this group if only for playing topless with his shirt in his hand. The first time I have seen someone play with without wearing a shirt in a top class football match.

Status
Not open for further replies.