Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldanoGraham

Basically done.

Frees up the no 7 shirt and hopefully, for the first time since Ronaldo, we have a player in Sancho that can emulate that magical shirt......

Let's also hope that Ed Woodward has learned a very valuable lesson in that he should Never pay out ridiculous wages to a player like this again, completely destroying the harmony and balance at the club, mercenaries looking for a big fat paycheck and nothing else.....somehow I feel he has learned that - as the stick and flak dished out over this from every angle must have hurt......

I never thought that we would be able to wriggle out of settling this mercenaries contract so well done at least for getting shot of that bad egg and all that baggage

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Thank God. Great news. Toxic (quiet) personality, has-been, glorified monstruous fee, awful on the pitch.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I wonder how much the pay off is.

Horrific transfer, literally couldn't have been any worse.

Mad to think someone can feck up that badly and not face any consequences for it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What? Who messed up?
I don't know.... that's why I'm asking.

But someone did, someone had the final say on a signing that saw us spend millions on wages and then millions on cancelling a contract for a player who made 45 appearances.

I know, in my line of work, if someone signed off on that, they'd be asked some serious questions.

hungrywing

But someone did, someone had the final say on a signing that saw us spend millions on wages and then millions on cancelling a contract for a player who made 45 appearances.

I know, in my line of work, if someone signed off on that, they'd be asked some serious questions.
You're absolutely right imo.

That person should make like a tree and leave.

cyril C

Mad to think someone can feck up that badly and not face any consequences for it.
News said 15m, but Utd is never going to pocket any of it. So,

Inter will (or should be) paying Sanchez 150K/wk
Utd will sponsor 150K/wk (15m over 2 years)
Sanchez takes a pay cut.

All happy.

Sharing my source to save further argument

Mirror said free of transfer and Sanchez take home Euro7m, which cannot be trusted, if someone is willing to take a 70% pay cut.

Italian evening post said 15m Euro transfer fee, but MU held out because 15m is not enough to compensate for Sanchez loss in wage. Hence a final agreement (to be confirmed) must involve Sanchez taking a modest pay cut.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

I think it’s Mourinho who took the bullet for it.

DarkXaero

I think it’s Mourinho who took the bullet for it.
I think it's unfair to blame anyone for it. Most of us, if not all, were absolutely ecstatic that we managed to sign Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal. The reasons as for why the signing failed so miserably mostly remain a mystery.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As dreadful and costly as the transfer has been, I think it was a necessary humiliation and the moment where Woodward finally decided to stop being a clown and learn how to run a football club.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Good riddance. Making an outrageous amount of money to not be bothered to play for United.

rollingstoned1

you could legislate for every failed transfer by using this sort of 20/20 hindsight tbh. the reaction after a signing among the fanbase is very telling even if it is forgotten promptly later on when things may sour. There's a reason Fergie usually tended to stay away from such profile of players and even giving 30+ players only 1 yr extensions.

Suedesi

According to Di Marzio:
  • Inter gets Sanchez for free from United
  • United frees up ~60m (EUR) salary over the next 2 years which means Alexis was getting paid 576,923 EUR per week 518,930 GBP (there or thereabouts)
  • Inter has reached a new 3-year agreement with the player consisting of 7m Euros p.a. NET and will not pay any compensation for the transfer.
  • The latter is an important development of the operation given that we were talking about 15/20 million, but this will no longer be the case.

Nice job Woodfeck....

So, he was signed in Jan 22, 2018 from Arsenal
We gave them Mkhitaryan as makeweight for the transfer. Mkhi was valued at $37.40m at the time
From Jan 2018 until July 2020, we paid 30 months wages at 500,000 pw * 130 weeks = 65,000,000 pounds ~ $85,000,000

So all in, we paid close to $120,000,000 for 45 appearances and 5 goals in all competitions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoever sanctioned that fecking deal needs to get fired. And it can't be Mourinho(who incidentally got fired and walked away with $20 million)....

SAFMUTD

Best moments of him for us:

2 assists in the comeback against ManCity
Great piano video
Leaving to inter on a permanent deal

DarkLord

According to Di Marzio:
  • United frees up ~60m (EUR) salary over the next 2 years which means Alexis was getting paid 576,923 EUR per week 518,930 GBP (there or thereabouts)
  • Inter has reached a new 3-year agreement with the player consisting of 7m Euros p.a. NET and will not pay any compensation for the transfer.
  • The latter is an important development of the operation given that we were talking about 15/20 million, but this will no longer be the case.

Nice job Woodfeck....

We gave them Mkhitaryan as makeweight for the transfer. Mkhi was valued at $37.40m at the time
From Jan 2018 until July 2020, we paid 30 months wages at 500,000 pw * 130 weeks = 65,000,000 pounds ~ $85,000,000

So all in, we paid close to $120,000,000 for 45 appearances and 5 goals in all competitions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoever sanctioned that fecking deal needs to get fired. And it can't be Mourinho(who incidentally got fired and walked away with $20 million)....
Mindblown. This should be a big lesson never to pay crazy salaries anymore, unless you're Ronaldo/Messi level. I still can't understand why did we offer 500k per week for him, that's ridiculous. $120 million of wages over 2 and a half year. Damn what an astronomical flop. Whoever the accountant who sanctioned this contract should be fired.

ghagua

Can't really blame anyone really. The way he was performing at the Arse, don't recall many doubters when he was signed. It just did not work out for him here because of his injuries, poor tactics, and maybe a bad attitude as well.

Snuffkin

Let's also hope that Ed Woodward has learned a very valuable lesson in that he should Never pay out ridiculous wages to a player
The wages are a red herring he would have got more from a big money transfer. A wedge of cash invested is worth more than monthly installments. Similarly it was better for us that he could be paid in chunks, especially when we could recoup a portion when he was loaned. The real lesson here is about South American players and our club

Tarrou

this deal exemplifies how badly the club was run in the post Fergie years, and then the transition to doing things differently

Jose brought him in and it pushed Rashford and Martial further to the bench or an exit

Ole comes in, fecks off Sanchez and immediately promotes Rashford and Martial to be the main men

Ed's a lucky man to still be in a job

Suedesi

Mindblown. This should be a big lesson never to pay crazy salaries anymore, unless you're Ronaldo/Messi level. I still can't understand why did we offer 500k per week for him, that's ridiculous. $120 million of wages over 2 and a half year. Damn what an astronomical flop. Whoever the accountant who sanctioned this contract should be fired.
To put it in perspective, we're a public company worth about $2.4B
We wasted $120M on this joker.
Put it another way, we pissed away 5% of market cap on Alexis.

As a shareholder I need some answers from Woody.

hungrywing

To put it in perspective, we're a public company worth about $2.4B
We wasted $120M on this joker.
Put it another way, we pissed away 5% of market cap on Alexis.

As a shareholder I need some answers from Woody.
"I have never made any footballing decisions ever."

SteveW

There will be no return. Ole will not want his personality and attitude around the squad.

Loan, sell or go to the u23s.
Sell it is then. fecking great to potentially have this guy off the books. A nasty reminder of the pre-Ole days.

SteveW

He got sacked a few months later

Gazza

Can't really blame anyone really. The way he was performing at the Arse, don't recall many doubters when he was signed. It just did not work out for him here because of his injuries, poor tactics, and maybe a bad attitude as well.
You don’t remember people expressing concerns about a) his terrible form for Arsenal, b) the number of minutes on his clock after playing three summers in a row and c) the disruption to our left side of attack which was doing rather well?

Falcow

According to Di Marzio:

Nice job Woodfeck....

That doesnt add up or perhaps I am missing something? €7m net is say €13m gross or £11m pa which is £33m over 3 years. So why would Sanchez accept £33m over 3 years when apparently he could have earned almost double that in the next 2 years at united?

Doesnt make any sense and if he is accepting net €7m pa in Italy then there is no way he was on £30m gross at united.

Also not that it matters but why would Miki have been worth 10m more at that point that what we paid for him? And didnt he leave Arsenal for free last year so that's quiet the drop in value in 18 months.

Suedesi

That doesnt add up or perhaps I am missing something? €7m net is say €13m gross or £11m pa which is £33m over 3 years. So why would Sanchez accept £33m over 3 years when apparently he could have earned almost double that in the next 2 years at united?

Doesnt make any sense and if he is accepting net €7m pa in Italy then there is no way he was on £30m gross at united.

Also not that it matters but why would Miki have been worth 10m more at that point that what we paid for him? And didnt he leave Arsenal for free last year so that's quiet the drop in value in 18 months.
Re Sanchez, those are the figures quoted. United free up 60m in salary payable over two years, he gets a revised 3-yr contract at Inter at 7m net p.a.
Why would Sanchez sign for that? Maybe because the choice was take a paycut or sit on the bench, maybe Inter offered a sign-on bonus upfront

Based on Transfermarkt, Mkhitaryan was signed for $46m, two years later the transfer fee was $37m so roughly $9m cheaper. You could argue it should be cheaper, though Neymar reflated most transfers. Either way it doesn't really move the needle.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think it's unfair to blame anyone for it. Most of us, if not all, were absolutely ecstatic that we managed to sign Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal. The reasons as for why the signing failed so miserably mostly remain a mystery.
I was just wondering what happened there. It's shocking. I hope we can make some insurance notes in deals so we don't get fecked again.

fps

I don’t think this is true, a lot of people realised he was showing poorer form at Arsenal and a terrible attitude there.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
As dreadful and costly as the transfer has been, I think it was a necessary humiliation and the moment where Woodward finally decided to stop being a clown and learn how to run a football club.
Let’s hope that history shows this was the moment before we decided to add to our dynasty!

pascell

According to Di Marzio:

Nice job Woodfeck....

I'm embarrassed to say it but, I think it's pushing more $150,000,000 when you factor in signing on fee, loyalty bonus and agent fees.

But I agree, may it be a big learning curve for whoever sanctioned it and I hope we never see another deal like it.

Falcow

Re Sanchez, those are the figures quoted. United free up 60m in salary payable over two years, he gets a revised 3-yr contract at Inter at 7m net p.a.
Why would Sanchez sign for that? Maybe because the choice was take a paycut or sit on the bench, maybe Inter offered a sign-on bonus upfront

Based on Transfermarkt, Mkhitaryan was signed for $46m, two years later the transfer fee was $37m so roughly $9m cheaper. You could argue it should be cheaper, though Neymar reflated most transfers. Either way it doesn't really move the needle.
Sorry early start for me this morning...I didnt spot the $ in your previous post. That makes more sense from Mkhitaryan point of view.

As for Sanchez, appreciate those are the figures being reported but I still have my doubts. £22m (approx) over 2 years V £60m over two years.....probably the press as per usual trying to paint us in a bad light.

Withnail

Its not really a mystery.

He was already showing signs of decline/poor form before he left Arsenal.

Everyone put it down to him wanting out and being demotivated but that wasn't the case.

crossy1686

career ending
According to Di Marzio:

Nice job Woodfeck....

Inter are taking on our debt, giving it to them is the least we can do. There's nothing wrong with that.

Mkhitaryan was absolutely dreadful, on par or worse than Sanchez, we're lucky we managed to find a club willing to do a swap with us but we most certainly would not have got anything near market value for him.

The wages are stupid and it was daft to break the wage structure for him, which then caused issues with Pogba and De Gea regarding their contracts. However, there wasn't a single person on here that wasn't happy with the deal at the time as we were getting one of the top 3 players in the PL. In hindsight, it looks really bad but that's the beauty of hindsight. Also, Woodward came to Mourinho and said "Sanchez is available if you want him?" and Mourinho said that Sanchez was the type of player you do anything to get when he's available. So it appears Mourinho was the one who wanted him and he eventually got the bullet for not being able to get a tune out of him and everyone else.

Cashmore8

Just read hes scrapping his utd contract, so no fees for us and hes taking a pay cut to sign a contract of £125,000 a week

Idxomer

According to Di Marzio:

Nice job Woodfeck....

You're right to slate United management for this but I kinda doubt the club's financial team see him as costing any close to those numbers.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Oh there can be lot of blame. He was not performing well at Arsenal at the time and was shown to be sulky with a bad attitude. Utd got exactly what they deserved with this transfer

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Dont blame anyone for this really. Everyone was desperate to land him at the time.
The fact he has been playing well for Inter makes it even more of a mystery why he was so poor at United. I dont think it was s lack of effort. Strange all round snd just glad its over.

Bocca9978

It's a shame we couldn't have signed him when he left Barcelona. We took a punt on him and it backfired, shit happens.
500k per week of shit. Really wasn’t worth the risk.
Good riddance.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
According to Di Marzio:

Nice job Woodfeck....

Given that United is full of accountants and finance people these days, I’m really surprised that nobody thought of including some aspect of risk management within a £200m contract.

Not one single person in the club anticipated this transfer to fail like it did. In other industries such risk would at least have been considered pre purchase and plans written up just in case.

It’s an insanely expensive way to learn a lesson. I’d hope that the club at least assumes this could happen again, eg with Sancho, and has clauses in the contract that helps protect the club. I’m not sure how you do it; but it’s totally unfair that a business has to take on such risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.