Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rake

I was really surprised with some of the reports that we actually managed to get money for him.

The deal makes more sense now. He was in the top 5 or 10 highest paid footballers in the world with nothing to show for it... Just not being burdened with his wages is a huge win.

Eddy_JukeZ

According to Di Marzio:
  • Inter gets Sanchez for free from United
  • United frees up ~60m (EUR) salary over the next 2 years which means Alexis was getting paid 576,923 EUR per week 518,930 GBP (there or thereabouts)
  • Inter has reached a new 3-year agreement with the player consisting of 7m Euros p.a. NET and will not pay any compensation for the transfer.
  • The latter is an important development of the operation given that we were talking about 15/20 million, but this will no longer be the case.

Nice job Woodfeck....

So, he was signed in Jan 22, 2018 from Arsenal
We gave them Mkhitaryan as makeweight for the transfer. Mkhi was valued at $37.40m at the time
From Jan 2018 until July 2020, we paid 30 months wages at 500,000 pw * 130 weeks = 65,000,000 pounds ~ $85,000,000

So all in, we paid close to $120,000,000 for 45 appearances and 5 goals in all competitions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoever sanctioned that fecking deal needs to get fired. And it can't be Mourinho(who incidentally got fired and walked away with $20 million)....
That is truly horrific. Arguably the worst transfer ever for any club.

I know hindsight is 20-20 and all, but there were definite signs that Sanchez was already in decline prior to the move. He was having a below par at Arsenal. I remember it being talked about here, but everyone(including me) was just hoping it was him being disappointed with not getting a move in the summer.

freddie the red

I've got nothing personal against the guy, like all of us on here I don't know him, but this has been singularly the most disastrous transfer in United's history, probably the worst in world football and possibly the worst ever in worldwide sport!
Awaits worldwide sports fans to put me right on the last point but, as far as we are concerned, OMG!
Glad to be rid of his contract so Ole can do something constructive with the money it releases.

Verminator

I'd question the figures.
The press had him as earning £350k per week, and they don't usually err on the low side, especially when we are involved.

I think most people hoped that his poor form at Arsenal was just down to wanting a fresh start. We were willing to take the chance, to fill the years-long gaping hole on the right wing.

Only for him to come in and take a slot on the left, where Marcus and Tony had been rotating.

feck you Mourinho!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
With the assumed signing of Sancho and potential increase to Pogbas wages if he signs a new contract it was imperative to get him off your wage bill even if it meant losing him on a free transfer. Done very well to get rid of him.

Potentially the biggest PL flop of all time. I know he looked a bit meh towards the end at Arsenal but overall he was one of the best in the league while there and looked like he'd do the same at United. It was so far from that scenario that it's hard to believe.

Suedesi

I'm embarrassed to say it but, I think it's pushing more $150,000,000 when you factor in signing on fee, loyalty bonus and agent fees.

But I agree, may it be a big learning curve for whoever sanctioned it and I hope we never see another deal like it.
Jeez!

90 + 5min

This transfer is a lesson for the club to not overpay anything. That includes Sancho or other "star" players. You never know how they turn to be.

My impression of Sanchez is that he really tried to do his best but he didn't have any luck at all. Onfield and with injuries.

Suedesi

Sorry early start for me this morning...I didnt spot the $ in your previous post. That makes more sense from Mkhitaryan point of view.

As for Sanchez, appreciate those are the figures being reported but I still have my doubts. £22m (approx) over 2 years V £60m over two years.....probably the press as per usual trying to paint us in a bad light.
60m over 2 years: GROSS FIGURES -> take home pay ~ 30m after taxes
7m p.a. over 3 year - NET FIGURES -> take home pay 21m (after taxes)

So he's taken a 30% pay cut (unless Inter give him a signing bonus to make him whole) in order to continue playing at the highest level as opposed to sitting on the bench at Carrington. He's got plenty of money as it is, so it's not a ridiculous choice.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
After making disastrous signings like this, Mourinho was still complaining that the club would not "support" him in transfers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sanchez is more done as a footballer than anybody has ever been in the entire history of football. But he has no self-respect, and will keep milking the money until the very end of he can.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Given that United is full of accountants and finance people these days, I’m really surprised that nobody thought of including some aspect of risk management within a £200m contract.

Not one single person in the club anticipated this transfer to fail like it did. In other industries such risk would at least have been considered pre purchase and plans written up just in case.

It’s an insanely expensive way to learn a lesson. I’d hope that the club at least assumes this could happen again, eg with Sancho, and has clauses in the contract that helps protect the club. I’m not sure how you do it; but it’s totally unfair that a business has to take on such risk.
It's not unfair at all. That's the nature of risk. You either avoid it, transfer it or retain it. No entity is going to take on the transfer of risk on a player's performance, so the club retains it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of offset in the world of image rights but that's just speculative, really.

ghagua

You don’t remember people expressing concerns about a) his terrible form for Arsenal, b) the number of minutes on his clock after playing three summers in a row and c) the disruption to our left side of attack which was doing rather well?

Not at all. I guess the site owners would be able to tell the strain the website was under from the excitement of his signing, like most signings. In hindsight, everyone can express dissatisfaction with the signing after shite hits the fan.

The poor form was not only down to Sanchez though, we had no creativity in the team till Bruno turned up. I think he would have done well in the current team, but Ole saw something in his attitude to get him out of the club, which would be the right thing to do.

Last edited:

MadMike

After making disastrous signings like this, Mourinho was still complaining that the club would not "support" him in transfers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sanchez is more done as a footballer than anybody has ever been in the entire history of football. But he has no self-respect, and will keep milking the money until the very end of he can.
:lol:
Really? Even even after having had a highly productive 2nd half of the season in Italy? So he should just retire instead of play the highest level where he's actually doing well and he's wanted?

The guy might not be able to cut the pace of the EPL anymore, but he's still a class footballer. That's a pretty ridiculous post.

ghagua

Dont blame anyone for this really. Everyone was desperate to land him at the time.
The fact he has been playing well for Inter makes it even more of a mystery why he was so poor at United. I dont think it was s lack of effort. Strange all round snd just glad its over.
Yea, people will come on here saying they knew better, but they were celebrating the signing as much as anyone at the time. Shite happens, the signing did not work out. Now the site is probably getting hammered with the potential signing of Sancho, imagine if he was to flop because of one reason or another.

Falcow

So he's taken a 30% pay cut (unless Inter give him a signing bonus to make him whole) in order to continue playing at the highest level as opposed to sitting on the bench at Carrington. He's got plenty of money as it is, so it's not a ridiculous choice.
I think it is more than a 30% cut. More like 50% which is what I dont believe. €576k gross pw in uk is 288k net, or is tax rate higher than 50%? While 7m pa = 134k pw net which is drop of 154k net per week. That's using your figures.

As you say maybe Inter are giving him a sign on bonus or maybe we are paying him off or bit of both. He might be taking a bit of a cut but it ain't gonna be 154k net per week.

Either way it's still a result for us.

Suedesi

You're right to slate United management for this but I kinda doubt the club's financial team see him as costing any close to those numbers.
Well duh yeah, the book value will be amortised over the life of the contract and wages are grouped together with other players under operating expenses and there will be a comparison with previous twelve months and then and only then there might be a slight mention under an obscure footnote on page 321 of the annual report (no names will be mentioned of course).

Suedesi

I think it is more than a 30% cut. More like 50% which is what I dont believe. €576k gross pw in uk is 288k net, or is tax rate higher than 50%? While 7m pa = 134k pw net which is drop of 154k net per week. That's using your figures.

As you say maybe Inter are giving him a sign on bonus or maybe we are paying him off or bit of both. He might be taking a bit of a cut but it ain't gonna be 154k net per week.

Either way it's still a result for us.
All correct and everything, but the old contract is over 2 years the new one is spread over 3 years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That is truly horrific. Arguably the worst transfer ever for any club.

I know hindsight is 20-20 and all, but there were definite signs that Sanchez was already in decline prior to the move. He was having a below par at Arsenal. I remember it being talked about here, but everyone(including me) was just hoping it was him being disappointed with not getting a move in the summer.
He was the Premier League stop scorer the season prior. Players don't* just (*Normally, there are a small handful of Examples in football) go from otherworldly to GIANT FLOUNDER in a handful of months frequently enough to warrant a lot of valid "I told you so's"

Sanchez had 24 in 38 in the 16/17 campaign. In 17/18 he netted 7 in 20. A noticeable drop for sure, but not far from par of 14/15 and 15/16 where he scored at a similar rate. His outlier season, and the one that made the club fork up the money, was his top scorer season.

So all in all, Alex Sanchez had up to that point been fairly stable in the Premier League, and his top scorer season was the outlier, not a sign of rapid decline. Even so, a player very much in his prime was above and beyond reason expected to contribute at least as many goals as his average 13/15 league goal seasons. And at that point that would have made him a impossibly expensive Martial in terms of goal contributionø.

Since hindsight is easy, the deal is obviosuly the worst deal in football. By far. Not even Bale gets close because he's actually fit to play (sometimes).

It's fairly common talking point that his wages are enormous, and they are, but they were honestly "only" around 25-35% higher than they should have been, had we given him a salary based on realistically expected contribution in Manchester United. The club boiught the finished product, not a developing starlet with a higher ceiling.

He's taking the career trajectory of Fernando Torres, who also went from Superstar to pancake over the course of months, who had to move abroad to resurrect his career a bit at least.

Overall the signing turned out to be terrible of course and a chapter Manchester United wants to forget sooner than later. But at the time the deal was only "kinda bad", not this monster that it became.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
:lol:
Really? Even even after having had a highly productive 2nd half of the season in Italy? So he should just retire instead of play the highest level where he's actually doing well and he's wanted?

The guy might not be able to cut the pace of the EPL anymore, but he's still a class footballer. That's a pretty ridiculous post.
Mentioning Alexis Sanchez and "play the highest level" in the same breath is a bit rich, if you ask me. Looking at his season, he played 22 times and scored measly 4 goals. And that's in Serie A, where even semi-retired, 38-year-old Ibra can shine. Doesn't feel like the highest level or what you would expect from one of the highest-payed forwards in the world? I hope that Inter can offer him something that he will agree to and we have enough brains to let him go, for free, so we can get him off our salary budget.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's not unfair at all. That's the nature of risk. You either avoid it, transfer it or retain it. No entity is going to take on the transfer of risk on a player's performance, so the club retains it. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of offset in the world of image rights but that's just speculative, really.
This contract was obviously warped by Sanchez being available on a free contract, so he demanded some of his transfer fee as wage.

On such contracts, I think club should ask player to take on some of the risk.

I’m not sure what the right metric is, but if a player is so world class, he should be confident such a clause would never be required. Eg: if he is dropped for 5 consecutive games, his salary drops to a certain level.

clubs somehow need to insure themselves against this Sánchez (potentially DDG) scenario. We are happy to pay you absolute top dollar buy you also have to perform to a minimum standard. Else I would be very wary of buying a fully developed player out of fear that he loses form or motivation.

Dr. Dwayne

On such contracts, I think club should ask player to take on some of the risk. .

I’m not sure what the right metric is, but if a player is so world class, he should be confident such a clause would never be required. Eg: if he is dropped for 5 consecutive games, his salary drops to a certain level.

clubs somehow need to insure themselves against this Sánchez (potentially DDG) scenario. We are happy to pay you absolute top dollar buy you also have to perform to a minimum standard
Clubs lost that power with the Bosman ruling, really.

Performance related clauses are the only thing that can offset that. Sanchez had a ton of those as well, apparently.

This was an expensive lesson but hopefully, as others have mentioned, it was a significant learning experience for Woodward and his team. They went in hard for Sanchez because of the City links. I have no doubt that Mourinho also pushed hard for it because of Pep. It almost feels like City set us up because we'd been trying to gazump them on players for a while.

Thankfully Ole has come in and said we only want players who are right for this club. We'd have never signed Sanchez based on that criteria.

Dr. Dwayne

Rumour is that the final years of his contract pay a bit less.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This contract was obviously warped by Sanchez being available on a free contract, so he demanded some of his transfer fee as wage.

On such contracts, I think club should ask player to take on some of the risk.

clubs somehow need to insure themselves against this Sánchez (potentially DDG) scenario. We are happy to pay you absolute top dollar buy you also have to perform to a minimum standard. Else I would be very wary of buying a fully developed player out of fear that he loses form or motivation.

So, I actually agree with the principle here, but I strongly disagree with myself because this is impossible to enforce for a few reason.

1) Sanchez was given a contract that the club can safely carry. And this is important. Manchester United football club was not put in financial risk by affording Sanchez that contract. Was it a public embarrassment and disruption in the dressing room? For sure. But was it a financial burden to the club outside of a reasonable scope? Probably not.

2) Sanchez already have a number of performance clauses that are all very common in football. Hereunder: Goals, assists, matchday squads, longevity bonus, etc etc. These are present in all player contracts and work as they are intended, an incentive. At the bottom you have the base/guaranteed salary.

3) Sanchez signed a contract that was certainly above domestic compeition, but was it more than he could have gotten in another league with Juve, Madrid or even PSG? We might have secured the player at the players market price. This contract would have been easy for Real Madrid to carry, for example.

4) A player is given a wage based not on a median in a league,or even compared to other players in other clubs. They are being given wages compared to other players in YOUR club. it's also worth noting that Manchester United is a bigger club on all scales than say, Aston VIlla. We pay players based on the companys income, where a set % of yearly income is awarded to player salaries. More income, more wiggle room for contracts with higher ceiling on extensions. Manchester United is not run by amateurs, the players salaries are extremely carefully budgeted, there will be no "we can't afford this and that" because we pay a handful of players x amount of pounds per week. That expenditure is already budgeted.

4.1) There already exists a wage/risk clause in the players contracts, we saw that this season when we did not play in the Champions League. The players wages were cut by a massive 25%.. This is the club protecting themselves, they don't need to insulate themselves from individual contracts like this.

5) Wage reduction based on individual criteria opens the club up to years of legal infighting. No pay if dropped 5 games? "Was the dropping justified? How was it justified? I'll take it all the way to CAS". "Wages reduced because I haven't scored 10 goals?" "You haven't given me a reasonable opportunity to achive this goal. You will be hearing from my lawyers". And so on. This is nearly impossible to insulate you from becase there is no legal framework that I can think of that will protect clauses like this, it needs to go through the judicial systems to set a precedent. We're talking 10 years at least before it can become a normalized contract feature. And how does that affect transfer markets when a signing club can simply go: "Come here, we don't force you to sign clauses like that".

The Sanchez deal is bad in hindsight because he never delivered. To Manhcester United football club its a bit of public embarrassment and a temporary dent in the wage budget, but ultimately a big fat "oh well, let's move on". It wasn't that bad of a deal when it happened, a bit over the top yes but it had a higher probability of being "just an expensive contract" rather than what we have today.

Wilt

Trouble is, with De Gea on £375,000 per week (and most people wanting Henderson as the No1), together with Pogba probably wanting around £500,000 per week, we don’t seem to be learning any lessons.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Clubs lost that power with the Bosman ruling, really.
Performance related clauses are the only thing that can offset that. Sanchez had a ton of those as well, apparently.
This was an expensive lesson but hopefully, as others have mentioned, it was a significant learning experience for Woodward and his team. They went in hard for Sanchez because of the City links. I have no doubt that Mourinho also pushed hard for it because of Pep. It almost feels like City set us up because we'd been trying to gazump them on players for a while.
Thankfully Ole has come in and said we only want players who are right for this club. We'd have never signed Sanchez based on that criteria.
Yeh, it does feel like that!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So, I actually agree with the principle here, but I strongly disagree with myself because this is impossible to enforce for a few reason.

1) Sanchez was given a contract that the club can safely carry. And this is important. Manchester United football club was not put in financial risk by affording Sanchez that contract. Was it a public embarrassment and disruption in the dressing room? For sure. But was it a financial burden to the club outside of a reasonable scope? Probably not.

2) Sanchez already have a number of performance clauses that are all very common in football. Hereunder: Goals, assists, matchday squads, longevity bonus, etc etc. These are present in all player contracts and work as they are intended, an incentive. At the bottom you have the base/guaranteed salary.

3) Sanchez signed a contract that was certainly above domestic compeition, but was it more than he could have gotten in another league with Juve, Madrid or even PSG? We might have secured the player at the players market price. This contract would have been easy for Real Madrid to carry, for example.

4) A player is given a wage based not on a median in a league,or even compared to other players in other clubs. They are being given wages compared to other players in YOUR club. it's also worth noting that Manchester United is a bigger club on all scales than say, Aston VIlla. We pay players based on the companys income, where a set % of yearly income is awarded to player salaries. More income, more wiggle room for contracts with higher ceiling on extensions. Manchester United is not run by amateurs, the players salaries are extremely carefully budgeted, there will be no "we can't afford this and that" because we pay a handful of players x amount of pounds per week. That expenditure is already budgeted.

4.1) There already exists a wage/risk clause in the players contracts, we saw that this season when we did not play in the Champions League. The players wages were cut by a massive 25%.. This is the club protecting themselves, they don't need to insulate themselves from individual contracts like this.

5) Wage reduction based on individual criteria opens the club up to years of legal infighting. No pay if dropped 5 games? "Was the dropping justified? How was it justified? I'll take it all the way to CAS". "Wages reduced because I haven't scored 10 goals?" "You haven't given me a reasonable opportunity to achive this goal. You will be hearing from my lawyers". And so on. This is nearly impossible to insulate you from becase there is no legal framework that I can think of that will protect clauses like this, it needs to go through the judicial systems to set a precedent. We're talking 10 years at least before it can become a normalized contract feature. And how does that affect transfer markets when a signing club can simply go: "Come here, we don't force you to sign clauses like that".

The Sanchez deal is bad in hindsight because he never delivered. To Manhcester United football club its a bit of public embarrassment and a temporary dent in the wage budget, but ultimately a big fat "oh well, let's move on". It wasn't that bad of a deal when it happened, a bit over the top yes but it had a higher probability of being "just an expensive contract" rather than what we have today.
Great response.
You are right, it's really all our own fault; our due diligence was terrible and we have been left looking like idiots, albeit we are wealthy enough to ride out that embarrassment.
I've not followed him at Inter: is he playing at same level as he was for us, but league or opposition has been weaker/slower, so he can get away with it?
I hope one day, someone can properly work out what actually went wrong.

Since hindsight is easy, the deal is obviosuly the worst deal in football. By far. Not even Bale gets close because he's actually fit to play (sometimes).
Bale is very different. He was brilliant and a major contributor to winning three Champions League titles! He is also still class but on strike/feuding with his club. His game didn't suddenly turn into cow dung.

Trouble is, with De Gea on £375,000 per week (and most people wanting Henderson as the No1), together with Pogba probably wanting around £500,000 per week, we don’t seem to be learning any lessons.
Future increases on major earners above a certain level, say £250k per week should all be incentive based. Make the incentives achievable and realistic; that way everyone wins.

Last edited:

DarkXaero

I don’t think this is true, a lot of people realised he was showing poorer form at Arsenal and a terrible attitude there.
Its not really a mystery.

He was already showing signs of decline/poor form before he left Arsenal.

Everyone put it down to him wanting out and being demotivated but that wasn't the case.
This is a whole lot of hindsight stuff here. That's not what the mood of this place was when we signed him. I would say 98% of the forum was ecstatic with the signing. Like Withnail said, his "poor form" was put down to him wanting out, but even in his poor form, he still had 8 goals in 22 appearances, which is more than what he ever had for us.

fps

This is a whole lot of hindsight stuff here. That's not what the mood of this place was when we signed him. I would say 98% of the forum was ecstatic with the signing. Like Withnail said, his "poor form" was put down to him wanting out, but even in his poor form, he still had 8 goals in 22 appearances, which is more than what he ever had for us.
It doesn’t matter what the mood of “this place” was like, I was concerned about this transfer and others were too, that’s not hindsight it’s an accurate report of my feelings about it.

Withnail

Yeah I'd agree with that I suppose a dip in form/productivity compared to the previous year would have been more accurate than 'poor form'.

Most were excited and I, like a lot of us, assumed his performances would pick back up. I was just pointing out the signs were there in counter to the claim that it was mystery.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It doesn’t matter what the mood of “this place” was like, I was concerned about this transfer and others were too, that’s not hindsight it’s an accurate report of my feelings about it.
So big deal, you were concerned. You literally belonged to a 1% minority. All power to you. But it makes no difference.

99% of United fans were over the moon to have acquired such a known and supposedly world class star ahead of Pep and City.

spiriticon

I thought Di Maria's transfer was a shambles, then along came Sanchez to show me a new level of disastrous.

Ibrahimovic aside, I don't think a high profile transfer of an established talent has ever worked out at United.

We make stars, not buy them.

No-Internet

It's ok getting rid of sanchez but in reality I think offering de gea those astronomical wages is mistakes repeated... Get rid of de gea use Henderson on cheaper wages and if pogba wants de gea kind of wages her rid also

We need a culture shift at man utd

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
With the assumed signing of Sancho and potential increase to Pogbas wages if he signs a new contract it was imperative to get him off your wage bill even if it meant losing him on a free transfer. Done very well to get rid of him.

Potentially the biggest PL flop of all time. I know he looked a bit meh towards the end at Arsenal but overall he was one of the best in the league while there and looked like he'd do the same at United. It was so far from that scenario that it's hard to believe.
Yeah, it's amazing that out Arsenal got very little out of Mkhitaryan, but still had the better end of the deal in this swap - especially given the wage issue. I'd agree that simply getting Sanchez off United's wage bill (and out of team discussions) would be a good achievement for United at this point. Gotta move on somehow!

Cereal

Supports
Colo Colo

Do you remember how the team was playing under Mourinho? I mean, that's hard to believe. It was the most awful, boring, and painful team to watch in the league. I think that not even Sanchez in his prime would have been a success because the way of playing.

DarkXaero

That's great for you, props to you for being right. But I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about assigning blame to Woodward, Mourinho or someone else at the club, when the consensus at the time was that it was a great, shrewd signing.

DarkXaero

Yeah I'd agree with that I suppose a dip in form/productivity compared to the previous year would have been more accurate than 'poor form'.

Most were excited and I, like a lot of us, assumed his performances would pick back up. I was just pointing out the signs were there in counter to the claim that it was mystery.
Yeah, that's fair, I felt the same way. But what I mean by "mystery" is that he was still having an okay season with Arsenal at that point, and nobody predicted the awful performance level that he displayed here. Even Ander Herrera recently said in an interview that Alexis was scoring a lot of goals in training, but for whatever reason, it didn't translate to actual games.

Gator Nate

Well, I think his return has ended about as well as it could have, given the charlie fox of mistakes that led up to this moment. Namely, he has not returned at all. One can only walk away now, and hope such a thing never happens again.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He will also get good signing on fee to compensate reduced wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.