Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

To be fair he never actually played upfront.

I agree with you though, I really hope we can cut our losses. But if he does come back and we can't get rid of him (not even on loan) then I hope that any games he does get is trying him out as a striker to see if he can still be useful in that position, as we had plenty of time to see he doesn't work out wide anymore.
Sanchez started 5 games as a striker for United, scoring one goal with one assist. Those matches were: Juventus away in CL, Bournemouth away in PL, West Ham away in PL first season, Huddersfield away in PL and Arsenal away in FA Cup. He also had a small number of sub appearances as a striker: Chelsea FA Cup, Barcelona away, Chelsea home PL. In 2 of his starts the system was one striker, in the others 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2.

In recent years United seem to have made a habit of signing players without considering the extent to which their success at previous clubs might be due in part to the system they played under. Sanchez scored a high percentage of his goals stood directly in front of the goal, regardless of whether his starting position was as the main striker or on the left wing.

Last edited:
Sanchez started 5 games as a striker for United, scoring one goal with one assist. Those matches were: Juventus away in CL, Bournemouth away in PL, West Ham away in PL first season, Huddersfield away in PL and Arsenal away in FA Cup. He also had a small number of sub appearances as a striker: Chelsea FA Cup, Barcelona away, Chelsea home PL. In 2 of his starts the system was one striker, in the others 4-3-1-2 or 3-5-2.

In recent years United seem to have made a habit of signing players without considering the extent to which their success at previous clubs might be due in part to the system they played under. Sanchez scored a high percentage of his goals stood directly in front of the goal, regardless of whether his starting position was as the main striker or on the left wing.
Aren’t most goals scored by players stood directly in front of the goal? :rolleyes:

Nikelesh Reddy

We have to hope that one of the teams in the MLS take him. He’s still a very big name in that part of the league
Nah they can’t entice him with top wages.Even players like Gerrard and Rooney had to take a huge wage cut in America...I think we should explore the possibility of trying to sell him to a Chinese club...Or maybe a Qatari club...

Red_toad

Nah they can’t entice him with top wages.Even players like Gerrard and Rooney had to take a huge wage cut in America...I think we should explore the possibility of trying to sell him to a Chinese club...Or maybe a Qatari club...
No chance a Chinese club buying him now, twats who run the country have cracked down on football clubs expenditure.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He won't be returning i'm sure of that.

The fact we sent him on loan in the first place is a clear sign that Ole thought he was a bad egg. The true "virus" if you like.

I don't think he will want to return anyway, seems happier at Inter with his buddy Lukaku.

Nikelesh Reddy

No chance a Chinese club buying him now, twats who run the country have cracked down on football clubs expenditure.
Then maybe a Qatari club...Else we”ll be stuck with him for atleast another season....Even if he joins another European/Latin American club on loan,we will still have to pay most of his wage.Sanchez will go down in history as the worst signing ever made by United,period....

Strelok

He won't be returning i'm sure of that.

The fact we sent him on loan in the first place is a clear sign that Ole thought he was a bad egg. The true "virus" if you like.

I don't think he will want to return anyway, seems happier at Inter with his buddy Lukaku.
Problem is Inter seems to have no interest in keeping him. And no one else yet.

seegoblu

I wonder if that's true though, with the rumors that Ighalo was offered a new 4 year £75m contract by his Chinese club. If we ask for a de minimus transfer fee or release Sanchez on a free, I am sure some Chinese club will take the chance. Weather Alexis is willing to go is a totally different issue.

BigBebe

I wonder if that's true though, with the rumors that Ighalo was offered a new 4 year £75m contract by his Chinese club. If we ask for a de minimus transfer fee or release Sanchez on a free, I am sure some Chinese club will take the chance. Weather Alexis is willing to go is a totally different issue.
Can't we just swap the two?

Everybody's happy.

SAFMUTD

I know Havertz is more of a advance midfielder, in the mould of Bruno, but he’s pacy, skilled and has played on the right side with good numbers with Leverkusen.

He’s a really exciting player, we should definitely be looking for him.

Teja

He’s a really exciting player, we should definitely be looking for him.
It's one of those transfers that has Bayern written all over it despite the shit talk above. I'd eat my hat if any English club signed him.

Madrid might be able to do it but that's about it.

SAFMUTD

It's one of those transfers that has Bayern written all over it despite the shit talk above. I'd eat my hat if any English club signed him.

Madrid might be able to do it but that's about it.
We wont know unless we try, we saw how City got Sane and Gundogan.

Lee565

I cant imagine there will be any takers for Sanchez at this moment in time and I'm sure inter will not be exactly begging us to keep him for the rest of their season with the financial hit every team is facing, though there may be a team or two that would take him on a free to safe on transfer fees but his wages are always going to be that huge stumbling block.

The only use he may be for us is as a striker as he is far to wasteful with the ball in deeper and wider positions.

I cant imagine there will be any takers for Sanchez at this moment in time and I'm sure inter will not be exactly begging us to keep him for the rest of their season with the financial hit every team is facing, though there may be a team or two that would take him on a free to safe on transfer fees but his wages are always going to be that huge stumbling block.

The only use he may be for us is as a striker as he is far to wasteful with the ball in deeper and wider positions.
he has zero transfer value.

even with no transfer his wages are prohibitive for the vast majority of clubs - and any decent club wouldn’t go near him because he’s a mid table player at best these days.

we are stuck with him, unless we pay off his contract. Either way, we have a bill to pay.

RUCK4444

One way ticket to Santiago and a briefcase full of cash.

It’s the only remedy, he broke our hearts, the intro with the piano deserved better...

Adios mi amor.

Red00012

That part in Sunderland til I die and the new chairman looking at the wages of certain players that he can’t move on must be like Ed looking at the likes of Sanchez ,Jones And Rojo . The problem is Ed gave them these contracts.

Dve

Sanchez playing the last 20 minutes in the cup semi final against Napoli tonight, and he looked quite sharp. Keep on that like that, and maybe they´ll keep him.

ShinjiNinja26

Still wondering who at the club decided it was a great idea approving his expensive contract.
Yeah the wages he’s on are pretty crazy and will be hard to shift him on now but I don’t think you’ll find many people that weren’t buzzing when we signed him. No one could’ve predicted how shit he’s become since joining us even though he wasn’t in the best of form when we signed him from Arsenal.

rollingstoned1

What I can't get is the logic of bringing him in. That season we had a beautiful tandem on the left with Martial/Rashford and they were genuinely ripping teams apart and developing extremely well. Then the surprise Sanchez signing happens and the CAF are all guessing that he will fill the hole on the right wing. But no he comes in and takes the left wing spot and kills one of the most productive areas of our team, stumps the development of our 2 most talented youngsters, and this materializes in a stretch of very poor form.
you can still read that thread back from when we signed him. it was supposed to give us the starpower we were missing and make us CL contenders apparently. :lol: Mkhitaryan was criticized a lot but he was never anywhere near as bad as Sanchez whose wages has skewed everyone elses demands at the club too.

georgipep

Sanchez is Wenger's Revenge or karma for all the duds we have sold to the Arsenal.
"all the duds"? Arguably Welbeck has been a better transfer for them than Sanchez for us. Mikhi, I'll give you. But who else?

If anything, you can think of it as Wenger's revenge for us taking Van Persie for the 20th title.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
"all the duds"? Arguably Welbeck has been a better transfer for them than Sanchez for us. Mikhi, I'll give you. But who else?

If anything, you can think of it as Wenger's revenge for us taking Van Persie for the 20th title.
Silvestre

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe we just give Sancho for free to the Chinese club who loan us Ighalo, as a return of good faith.

Strelok

you can still read that thread back from when we signed him. it was supposed to give us the starpower we were missing and make us CL contenders apparently. :lol: Mkhitaryan was criticized a lot but he was never anywhere near as bad as Sanchez whose wages has skewed everyone elses demands at the club too.
Yeah I was one of those tbh. However after how this has turned out, we can clearly see why SAF and most big clubs give past 30 player 1-2 year contract only.

When a player age 30 asks for a 4.5 years contract with a ridiculous salary we should nope the feck out asap. Regardless of how good he is. Imo most of such players are mainly after money and once they get that kind of deal they can easily lose their motivation.

Unfortunately what we did was total contrast to this rule. Terrible decision. I don't know it was Mourinho or Ed or both though.

Nikelesh Reddy

I don’t think we have much of a choice anymore...He will definitely stay for another season at least....Hopefully the lack of first team football will frustrate him enough to actively seek a move somewhere....

Delano

Pound for Pound, Sanchez is arguably the worst signing in United history. Let's look at why:

- He's on a base salary of around 400k a week, with a 5 year contract.

- He's half the player he was at Arsenal

- He's injury prone.

- We signed him to fill the void on the right wing; that we still have, but he couldn't play the role. We left that position in the summer after he joined to give him a pre season to get better. He never.

- By playing him on the left, he ruined the dynamic of Martial and Rashford alternating in the position, which was actually working. Sanchez clearly can't play on the wing anymore, but we persisted with that idea, whilst refusing to play him up front.

- His wage led to reported unrest in the squad, and is the reason De Gea could demand such insane wages. For any top player they know United can pay up to 500k a week, which has created a false economy.

- His club stats at United and Inter are 61 games... 6 goals. That is not a world class player. Far from it.

I'd love Inter to take him off our hands but I can't see it. Even if they did, he'd still be one of the highest earners at the club! What a disaster.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Pound for Pound, Sanchez is arguably the worst signing in United history. Let's look at why:

- He's on 600k a week, with a 5 year contract.

- He's injury prone.

- We signed him to fill the void on the right wing; that we still have, but he couldn't play the role. We left that position in the summer after he joined to give him a pre season to get better. He never.

- By playing him on the left, he ruined the dynamic of Martial and Rashford alternating in the position, which was actually working. Sanchez clearly can't play on the wing anymore, but we persisted with that idea, whilst refusing to play him up front.

- His wage led to reported unrest in the squad, and is the reason De Gea could demand such insane wages. For any top player they know United can pay up to 600k a week, which has created a false economy.

- His club stats at United and Inter are 61 games... 6 goals. That is not a world class player. Far from it.

I'd love Inter to take him off our hands but I can't see it. Even if they did, he'd still be one of the highest earners at the club! What a disaster.
'Alexis Sánchez’s contract – £391,000 a week with an extra £75,000 for every game he plays and an annual £1.1m signing-on fee – is another indication of how far United are willing to go when a category-A player is available.'

flappyjay

I don’t think we have much of a choice anymore...He will definitely stay for another season at least....Hopefully the lack of first team football will frustrate him enough to actively seek a move somewhere....
Inter fans hope he stays though, hopefully Conte sees it the same way.

Withnail

Alexis Sánchez’s contract – £391,000 a week with an extra £75,000 for every game he plays and an annual £1.1m signing-on fee – is another indication of how far United are willing to go when a category-A player is available.'
So we save money when he doesn't play?

Does that include appearances while on loan?

If Inter aren't interested in a permanent deal, I'd rather pay him off and be done with it.

I don't think he'll ever contribute anything regardless of what position we stick him in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's still such a shocker, as he was thought of by most as a top 5 in the league level player at the time we got him.
There was talk of Ozil coming here, and Sanchez going to City, and they by far were getting the top man.
Any talk of a downturn in form there was seen as some sort of moodiness, or his interest having waned at such a non competitive team.

Then it suddenly dawned on us that he couldn't get away from anyone at all. He'd have head starts and still be caught up, not even by pacey players.

Playing him up front may have worked a little better, but all in, it was a real let down. And we're still paying huge now!

crossy1686

career ending
He looked sharp in the game against Napoli, should have got a good assist if Erikssen hadn't of hit his shot down the keepers throat. Hopefully these cameo's for Inter are enough for someone else to take a punt on him or for Inter themselves to keep him on loan for another season with the same wage arrangement. I'm happy for us to pay him a fortune to never step foot inside Old Trafford again.

SweetRightFoot

- He's on a base salary of around 400k a week, with a 5 year contract.

- He's injury prone.

- His wage led to reported unrest in the squad, and is the reason De Gea could demand such insane wages. For any top player they know United can pay up to 500k a week, which has created a false economy.

I agree with every word. Terrible transfer.

Any mathematicians in here fancy working out how much he's cost us per game, per minute, per goal? Would make for some brutal stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.