Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke1995

Considering that even under normal circumstances it would be hard for clubs to want to sign him given his wages, loss of footballing form and fitness problems, it seems almost certain he will be here when football returns.

So, there are two scenarios that could play out. Number one and the more likely, he gets back into the group and is used in cup games and some PL ones, mainly as a substitute.

Number two, the less likely one, Ole tries to do what Mourinho did with Bastian and makes him train with the reserves, while not giving him any game time or doing so very rarely.

Under the first scenario, there's a few questions that come to mind. A big one is: When he plays, should it be as a left winger os as a centre forward ?

If Sanchez could get his fitness back up to a good level where he can play 90 minutes in some games or at least a full half, he could be useful as a left winger, given that's where he had the most sucess in his career, although his dribbling skills have gotten worse.

Should that lack of dribbling skill in games be down to just a lack of confidence, it's not out of question that he can find it in a good environment. As a centre forward, he did a good job of it in some parts of his career, but it doesn't seem natural to him.

Another question is, what exactly are his fitness problems and is there a way it can be corrected ? Some players did have big injuries and came back from it to a good level.

And lastly, a big part of what made Sanchez a great player in the past was his mental strenght. In some games he would try alot of things and miss alot, but his confidence never disappeared and as a natural risk taker, he was always certain he could find that goal, or that game changing moment with a burst of pace and skill to set up his teammates. For us, it seemed like his mistakes in games made him more averse to risk taking. The club could offer him all the structure in the world, but he has to be all-in.

Do you feel like the pressure of playing for Manchester United is maybe sometimes too big ? Some great players for other clubs have come here in the past and it felt like they were carrying the weight of the world in their shoulders.

So, to end this: What's your take on this subject ? I actually felt the need to talk about it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I feel like Ole's comments about not having assholes in the team might have been aimed at him. Apparently he was a drain on the Arsenal locker room too. I think the club hoped that inter would buy him so we could get his big wages off our books.

Maybe he'll go on another subsidised loan next season.

clarkydaz

We bought an expensive car with a bit too much mileage on it. He released clothing lines and was doing movie parts in his time here, dont really think the pressure got to him as such, just past his prime

SATA

We have to hope that one of the teams in the MLS take him. He’s still a very big name in that part of the league

Web of Bissaka

Number two, the less likely one, Ole tries to do what Mourinho did with Bastian and makes him train with the reserves, while not giving him any game time or doing so very rarely.
I think Ole should do this, but high chance he won't. He's not ruthless and merciless like Fergie (certain specific rare situation and SAF will be that).

1. It will offended him so much so hopefully it's enough for him to tell to his agent to get him a new club quickly and increase the chance of him "desperate" enough to leave into accepting a huge reduction of wages.

2. If Sanchez felt offended and made disciplinary problems, then the club will be justified to fine him wages. That way, we'll get back some of his undeserved wages.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel like Ole's comments about not having assholes in the team might have been aimed at him. Apparently he was a drain on the Arsenal locker room too. I think the club hoped that inter would buy him so we could get his big wages off our books.

Where did that jump come from?

United58

We bought an expensive car with a bit too much mileage on it. He released clothing lines and was doing movie parts in his time here, dont really think the pressure got to him as such, just past his prime
Agree with this completely, getting his extortionate wage off our bill would be a godsend

Luke1995

I think Ole should do this, but high chance he won't. He's not ruthless and merciless like Fergie (certain specific rare situation and SAF will be that).

1. It will offended him so much so hopefully it's enough for him to tell to his agent to get him a new club quickly and increase the chance of him "desperate" enough to leave into accepting a huge reduction of wages.

2. If Sanchez felt offended and made disciplinary problems, then the club will be justified to fine him wages. That way, we'll get back some of his undeserved wages.
Many claim that had Fergie not retired in 2013, Rooney would have been sold or at the bare minimum, have his playing time massively reduced. I wonder if there's some truth to those beliefs

Going by what people are commenting on here, it seems like 99% of the cafe has given up any hope or desire to see this thing actually working well

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Where did that jump come from?
Not a conclusion but an inference and it's a belief based on what has been said about Sanchez. I'm not inside the United dressing room so I don't what effect he has. However, I can imagine that being one of the highest paid players while contributing little on the pitch doesn't make you popular. I'm not sure if he is even close friends with others in the team, whereas Lingard despite his failings on the pitch is still a popular figure.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
this. He’s just an expensive dud. He might still be an ok player but he’s on world class wages and we were idiots. Hopefully our last stupid huge mistake in the market.

Swap him for Ighalo? If they are offering him 600k a week they can surely afford Sanchez but I don’t think they’ll want him or he’ll want to go. He owes us nothing. It was our stupidity for giving him that contract and we are stuck with him or at least paying him 300k a week to play elsewhere. Such a disaster of a signing.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not a conclusion but an inference and it's a belief based on what has been said about Sanchez. I'm not inside the United dressing room so I don't what effect he has. However, I can imagine that being one of the highest paid players while contributing little on the pitch doesn't make you popular. I'm not sure if he is even close friends with others in the team, whereas Lingard despite his failings on the pitch is still a popular figure.
I'm unsure. He stunk up the dressing room at Arsenal when he wanted out and was frustrated with how shit it was there after a few seasons. Same with quite a few players that have moved on from Arsenal. From what I've read and understood, Sanchez has always given 100% in his training sessions and I haven't really read much reports of him rubbing up OT team mates the wrong way.

I mean, it's one thing to be on a stupid salary and not deserve it. But it's another to be thoroughly unprofessional in efforts in training and with players and I haven't heard of Sanchez really doing the latter.

RkkMan

Considering that even under normal circumstances it would be hard for clubs to want to sign him given his wages, loss of footballing form and fitness problems, it seems almost certain he will be here when football returns.

So, there are two scenarios that could play out. Number one and the more likely, he gets back into the group and is used in cup games and some PL ones, mainly as a substitute.

Under the first scenario, there's a few questions that come to mind. A big one is: When he plays, should it be as a left winger os as a centre forward ?

If Sanchez could get his fitness back up to a good level where he can play 90 minutes in some games or at least a full half, he could be useful as a left winger, given that's where he had the most sucess in his career, although his dribbling skills have gotten worse.

Should that lack of dribbling skill in games be down to just a lack of confidence, it's not out of question that he can find it in a good environment. As a centre forward, he did a good job of it in some parts of his career, but it doesn't seem natural to him.

Another question is, what exactly are his fitness problems and is there a way it can be corrected ? Some players did have big injuries and came back from it to a good level.

And lastly, a big part of what made Sanchez a great player in the past was his mental strenght. In some games he would try alot of things and miss alot, but his confidence never disappeared and as a natural risk taker, he was always certain he could find that goal, or that game changing moment with a burst of pace and skill to set up his teammates. For us, it seemed like his mistakes in games made him more averse to risk taking. The club could offer him all the structure in the world, but he has to be all-in.

Do you feel like the pressure of playing for Manchester United is maybe sometimes too big ? Some great players for other clubs have come here in the past and it felt like they were carrying the weight of the world in their shoulders.

So, to end this: What's your take on this subject ? I actually felt the need to talk about it
We may not be able to sell him permanently but we won`t be short of loan offers as it won`t be hard to agree a salary payment structure two clubs can afford for a season so loan him out again till his contract ends. Sanchez has no business wearing the Utd shirt again. He`s comfortably been our worst signing in the 21st Century

-Supreme-

Man Utd: Alexis Sanchez will 'prove you all wrong' - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Alexis Sanchez will return from a loan spell in Italy and make a success of his Manchester United career, says the club's manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Chile forward Sanchez, 31, is set to return to United in the summer after a season with Inter Milan.

He left Old Trafford having scored five times in 45 games following a move from Arsenal in January 2018.

"Alexis will come back in the summer and prove you all wrong," said Solskjaer.

Sanchez, United's highest earner on about £400,000 a week, has said he doesn't "regret going there" despite struggling to make an impact.

Injuries have hampered his appearances at Inter, meaning he has played just seven times for the Serie A side this season and scored one goal.

Meanwhile, with United's attempt to sign Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes this month stalling over the fee, Solskjaer has said doing deals in January is difficult.

"We've got players here we're working hard to get back as well and if there is something out there, then the club are pursuing that and looking at it," he said.

"Of course it is a difficult window. It always has been. The clubs don't want to lose their best players.

"I can't remember how many good ones we've brought in in January. Henrik (Larsson) was good, Nemanja (Vidic) and Patrice (Evra) were two good ones."

United58

We may not be able to sell him permanently but we won`t be short of loan offers as it won`t be hard to agree a salary payment structure two clubs can afford for a season so loan him out again till his contract ends. Sanchez has no business wearing the Utd shirt again. He`s comfortably been our worst signing in the 21st Century
Fully agreed - I'll be delighted to see the back of him

peridigm

Another analogy is we traded one has been for another but had to give the new has been 4x the wages he was worth I hope that was a learning moment for Woodward to never fall for that trap again.

Remember the geese

I'm unsure. He stunk up the dressing room at Arsenal when he wanted out and was frustrated with how shit it was there after a few seasons. Same with quite a few players that have moved on from Arsenal. From what I've read and understood, Sanchez has always given 100% in his training sessions and I haven't really read much reports of him rubbing up OT team mates the wrong way.

I mean, it's one thing to be on a stupid salary and not deserve it. But it's another to be thoroughly unprofessional in efforts in training and with players and I haven't heard of Sanchez really doing the latter.
He reportedly had a bust up with Greenwood in pre season. Probably just a storm in a tea cup though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He reportedly had a bust up with Greenwood in pre season. Probably just a storm in a tea cup though.
Yeah, I read it was just Sanchez got upset with a tackle. I don't really read too much into that as you said.

Paul_Scholes18

Could be our right winger solution ;). Or should we play with a bigger hole there?

Last edited:

Red For Ever

Sanchez, United's highest earner on about £400,000 a week, has said he doesn't "regret going there" despite struggling to make an impact.

I bet he doesn't, £400,000 a week for years, and doing very little to justify that, does help make life a little easier

Not his fault he was offered a stupid contract, and it would be difficult to turn down for most people.

SweetRightFoot

Needs to train hard, happily accept a bench role and make an impact from there.

Problem is that at 400k a week, he's got no motivation to. Terrible acquisition.

billybee99

Still waiting for the first person to say "there's still a player in there" or "he can regain his form in the right atmosphere."

redshaw

Get him up in the Stretford End with an electric piano hooked up to the sound system

El Zoido

Still waiting for the first person to say "there's still a player in there" or "he can regain his form in the right atmosphere."
I mean, surely he can get to a level of not being completely fecking useless. I really don’t think Ole wants him, I don’t think his attitude or personality fits in this dressing room. All speculation since I haven’t got a clue really, it’s just the impression I get when you read about him. Reckon he’ll get game time purely to put him in the shop window though. The caf will melt down even if gets 10 minutes in the third round of the league cup.

tenpoless

Dear Alexis Sanchez, you go play China and you more safe from CoronaVirus because They were first, Ok? better for you and pet dogs. Same money, same money.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never going to get the best out of 400k we pay every week by just letting him sit on the bench. And beside, Sanchez doesn't seem to be type of player with motivation to help our team from the bench.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
All these people ripping on Sanchez with their "told you so" know it all attitude when it was absolutely huge when he signed for United and everybody was gassed. I don't think anybody was against it at the time and now they're they taking the piss out of his promo vid.

I would love it if he came back and did a big feck you to all the haters. Probably unlikely now though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
All these people ripping on Sanchez with their "told you so" know it all attitude when it was absolutely huge when he signed for United and everybody was gassed. I don't think anybody was against it at the time and now they're they taking the piss out of his promo vid.

I would love it if he came back and did a big feck you to all the haters. Probably unlikely now though.
I wasn't gassed about it, because I thought Martial was doing the job he came to take over. I definitely didn't expect him to be this bad or past it, but I don't think you can say everybody was excited about him coming in, because I wasn't the only one who was concerned about him coming in, especially when it became clear he wouldn't play on the right wing (where it would have actually been an exciting prospect at the time).

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A couple months before he joined us he dominated against us although we won due to Martial and Pogba's brilliance.

We should have lost as Arsenal dominated but we countered ruthlessly.

Sanchez was everywhere playing like prime Rooney.

How did it all collapse so fast?

AFC NimbleThumb

We bought a former winger, who’d played a as a striker for well over a year because his legs had gone only to put him back on the wing to. . . further prove his legs had gone.

I’d have liked to have seen him given a chance as a striker earlier in his tenure but there’s no way he comes back & suceeds after all the issues.

I’m definitely not a fan of ‘making him train with the reserves’ because we [as a club] regret paying him. If he comes back & does put his head down he should be given a chance - we have Andreas Periera getting meaningful minutes for us after all.

RyRoc

He's played some absolutely massive games for Chile and performed very well with basically the weight of the whole country on his shoulders so disagree with the notion that Manchester United was too big for him.

I really can't pinpoint an exact reason as to what happened with Sanchez, there's a few which may all just add up to one thing but I'm very surprised to how quickly things went downhill for him. Will be interesting to read Wenger's book in a few months and see what he was like during the last 6 months at Arsenal and that might provide some clues.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
We have to pay him 350k a week for a year if we can loan him out and somebody else pay it that would be great but on current form thoroughly unrealistic so we will be stick with him
As such at least 18 million of our squad budget next season is taken up with paying him knowing that come January he probably signs a bosman deal and leaves in the summer.
Ole simply has to make the best of it as a manager / coach and get the best out of him because that's his job

Luke1995

I know it will be hard to argue this one but I will try:

Given Veron's reputation at the time he was signed for us and how well he could influentiate some european games, it can be argued that he was utterly disappointing in the Premier League overall, and having been part of a United squad with truly world class players at the time, it's mind blowing how he couldn't really fit in. Therefore, he could be just as bad of a signing as Sanchez, or worse taking into consideration that Sanchez played with players much lesser talented than the squad Veron was in... you can at least come up with a few cases of players with big names who made a mockery of their time here...

Art Vandelay

Many claim that had Fergie not retired in 2013, Rooney would have been sold or at the bare minimum, have his playing time massively reduced. I wonder if there's some truth to those beliefs

Going by what people are commenting on here, it seems like 99% of the cafe has given up any hope or desire to see this thing actually working well
I was very happy when we signed him, but it's been a disaster all round. I think you'd need to be optimistic to the point of madness to expect him to come back and do well. It's not like he's done anything to earn another chance, we simply just can't get rid of him because no one else will pay him the wages. Sad, but that's the reality of it. He's not even doing the business in Italy.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Imagine he came and scored 30 goals for us? Has there every been an incredible turn around for a signing on that level? Jordon Henderson in the hat for PFA POTY at Liverpool when he was a complete joke there at one point is a crazy turnaround, but Sanchez hasn’t for the years ahead of him to grow. I think he’s done.

diarm

We have some very talented youngsters in the reserves so I don't particularly want him training with them and rubbing off on them.

Pay him his money and tell him he can stay at home with his feet up. We won't notice the difference anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.