Sanchez's return | is not happening - he signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

Such a strange situation with this player. Was a World Class player and one or so years later turns in to a complete dud. Too much money maybe? Lost interest in football

Adamsk7

I honestly don’t think we will sell him for money. The only way anyone would take him is on a free transfer, which I’m fine with. Just getting his obscene salary and terrible performances away from our club would be worth it. We’re looking a tight knit team now, we have to be very careful of the characters we introduce. He reminds me (like Lukaku) of everything that was wrong with the Jose Mourinho era of this club.

Idxomer

He’s pretty much either been injured, below average or dreadful
I was wrong, I don't know why I thought he had better numbers for them.

His profile though if he gets over his injuries is the right one that performs well there when everyone thinks they're finished.

flappyjay

Would only make sense if we were the ones giving him 20m to leave.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They can’t match his terms at United. Just click bait.
They can't match it, but it'll probably be similar/more than what he was on at Arsenal. At a certain point professional pride has to come into it. If he comes back to United, he probably won't play or train with the first team. He looks central to Inter's plans right now.

The biggest concern I'd have is whether or not he is capable of staying fit until the end of the season.

pascell

He’s pretty much either been injured, below average or dreadful
During lockdown the talk was that Inter weren't impressed and their interest in making it permanent had dwindled.

Since lockdown he's been MOTM twice out of four games, he came on vs Parma and turned it around for Inter. Considering they'll likely be in the CL next season and want to challenge for the league, they might have changed their mind.

I still expect them to loan him another season with an obligation to buy him for €8-10m the season after.

GoldanoGraham

there is no way on earth in the current climate anyone would pay £20m for him........just getting him off our books in terms of salary would be a superb bit of business.....like others said - he may well loan again next season and we will still be subsidizing his salary........

it's wishful thinking that our worst ever bit of transfer business will end so positively!

Red_toad

Under the tax laws in Italy maybe they can offer him something he will be happy with
And why would he be happy to accept a penny less? He can go out on loan again next season, get regular game time and continue to earn his big United contract. He's in a no lose situation.

seegoblu

And why would he be happy to accept a penny less? He can go out on loan again next season, get regular game time and continue to earn his big United contract. He's in a no lose situation.
Unfortunately those are not the only potential outcomes form Sanchez. For example he could come back to United after not agreeing to lower is salary demands to facilitate a permanent move to Inter and could find himself training by himself for the next two years, effectively ending his club and international career. United has no obligation to play or loan him somewhere he can play, their only obligation is to pay him until his contract terminates.

Red_toad

Unfortunately those are not the only potential outcomes form Sanchez. For example he could come back to United after not agreeing to lower is salary demands to facilitate a permanent move to Inter and could find himself training by himself for the next two years, effectively ending his club and international career. United has no obligation to play or loan him somewhere he can play, their only obligation is to pay him until his contract terminates.
Well his old mate Ozil at La Arse has no issues taking home a fat pay cheque, whilst pretending it’s out of some loyalty to the fans. United will look to loan him and not just have player sat rotting on the highest salary at the club. It’s in the clubs best interest to reduce their payments to him. Unfortunately it’s not in his best interest to take a big pay cut.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe to play maybe to get away from United, he obviously wanted out of United hence the loan move, I doubt he wants to come back.
Anyway just speculation, but I wouldn't rule it out that he would be happy to move to Inter. Also taxes in Italy mean the effective take home wage drop may not be as big as you may think

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well his old mate Ozil at La Arse has no issues taking home a fat pay cheque, whilst pretending it’s out of some loyalty to the fans. United will look to loan him and not just have player sat rotting on the highest salary at the club. It’s in the clubs best interest to reduce their payments to him. Unfortunately it’s not in his best interest to take a big pay cut.
Problem with Ozil is nobody wants him...even if he took a cut to his wages. He's just horrible now. Might as well sit back, watch the game and collect a pay cheque. Maybe he can take up golf and join up with Bale...

Falcow

As posters above have said, nobody is paying us any money for this guy. The very best we could hope for now is that Sanchez agrees to have his contract cancelled with us after we pay him £7m or £8m and Inter then pay him the remainder of his United contract which is probably £20m approx (after the £7 or £8m we pay him)

That would be the best realistic outcome for us at this point, otherwise he is going nowhere.....why would he. If he stays he will cost us close to £30m in salary over the next 2 years, allow that to sink in so a goodbye payment of anything below 10m now would be best value for us.

Daonico

I don't think he would be happy to get his paycheck without playing or even trainning with the squad as some said...
first, it would ruin his carreer with the national team, which I think matters to him... he works really hard with Chile, he even had a good copa america when he was already being sh*t here.
second, I am not sure, but I guess that player lose a lot of money when they don't play for extended periods... not only they usually have bonuses for goals/assists etc, but mainly, they make lots of money with their image...

Anyway, I think we can hope for an agreement with the three parts, sanchez lowers his salary a bit, we keep paying another chunk, and the new club pays the rest...
We won't get many money on top of that of course...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Greenwood was 17 at the time. You think Sanchez might be a bit more professional and take it on the chin so to speak.

Anyway they obviously didn't feel like he reacted correctly as that was the end of Sanchez after this incident. He was sent on loan not long after.
That's conjecture. I don't think it has much to do with it at all. Sanchez was unfit, on high wages that United are looking to clear a bit and he probably wanted to leave himself for several reasons. I don't believe reacting instinctively to a tackle has anything to do with it. Chilean footballers often run hot as it's part of their football culture. They get stuck in and they get mad about getting tackled.

Hearing about someone getting mad at practice is one of the most non-issues I can think of. It's like people don't play the sport at all. I've played 5-aside football with some of my best friends and exhcanged get heated because of a tackle. It's all part of the game. Emotions and adrenaline are running high but it's left out on the pitch or training ground.

Try giving the United hour podcast a listen. It has David May on it and he frequently reminisces about many such events gleefully with his former team mates. He also talks about young players getting practically bullied physically when they first join training.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's conjecture. I don't think it has much to do with it at all. Sanchez was unfit, on high wages that United are looking to clear a bit and he probably wanted to leave himself for several reasons. I don't believe reacting instinctively to a tackle has anything to do with it. Chilean footballers often run hot as it's part of their football culture. They get stuck in and they get mad about getting tackled.

Hearing about someone getting mad at practice is one of the most non-issues I can think of. It's like people don't play the sport at all. I've played 5-aside football with some of my best friends and exhcanged get heated because of a tackle. It's all part of the game. Emotions and adrenaline are running high but it's left out on the pitch or training ground.

Try giving the United hour podcast a listen. It has David May on it and he frequently reminisces about many such events gleefully with his former team mates. He also talks about young players getting practically bullied physically when they first join training.
That was over 20 years ago. Times have changed and by most accounts Sanchez is a loner who only really got on with Lukaku.

He just wasn't a good fit with the club and he won't be coming back.

My only Eric

If Sanchez can come here and give us a semi-cantona like performance for the rest of his contract, would you keep him or get rid of him right now and save money?

I know its highly unlikely.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That was over 20 years ago. Times have changed and by most accounts Sanchez is a loner who only really got on with Lukaku.

He just wasn't a good fit with the club and he won't be coming back.
Human nature hasn't changed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Greenwood was 17 at the time. You think Sanchez might be a bit more professional and take it on the chin so to speak.

Anyway they obviously didn't feel like he reacted correctly as that was the end of Sanchez after this incident. He was sent on loan not long after.
I love that Greenwood was putting himself about in training at 17. Under SAF our players left everything on the training field and it kept their competitive edge up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Feels like yonks ago that we were all excited about his signing, one of those just can't believe it ones.
And he's still got 2 years left. Amazing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Human nature hasn't changed.
Sanchez doesn't want to be here, Ole shipped him out first chance he got.

There's reports Inter want him for £20m which i'm sure we will snap there hands off for.

Why would we keep him anyway? he wouldn't even get in the team these day, Ighalo did more in 2 months than he did all year

Red_toad

Maybe to play maybe to get away from United, he obviously wanted out of United hence the loan move, I doubt he wants to come back.
Anyway just speculation, but I wouldn't rule it out that he would be happy to move to Inter. Also taxes in Italy mean the effective take home wage drop may not be as big as you may think
He's missed half the season and scored 2 goals, does anyone honestly think they're going to give him a few hundred thousand a week? I just don't see it, I think it'll be a continuation of loans until his contract expires with United paying the majority of his wages. There's zero benefit for United to keep him not playing at the club and the likelyhood of getting him off the books is remote. Such a shame as he used to be an excellent player, we just purchased him at the wrong time and after he'd declined a fair bit.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's missed half the season and scored 2 goals, does anyone honestly think they're going to give him a few hundred thousand a week? I just don't see it, I think it'll be a continuation of loans until his contract expires with United paying the majority of his wages. There's zero benefit for United to keep him not playing at the club and the likelyhood of getting him off the books is remote. Such a shame as he used to be an excellent player, we just purchased him at the wrong time and after he'd declined a fair bit.
You dont need to apply logic Conte wants him

SinNombre

If he finishes the season in good form, we will likely have one of those FFP deals.

We subsidize his wages for another season, and Inter loan him with an obligation to buy for 8-10m at the end of next season. We can book some profit out of his sale, and Inter get to keep their wages under control. (or Inter keeps paying a 3-5m loan fee every season which we can amortize against)

In essence though, we let him off for free. That's the best we can hope for at this point.

hungrywing

The top-rated ITK on muppetiers (apparently he/she has had the most claims proven correct) just posted that Sanchez is going to Inter permanently. Loan with obligation to buy at the end of 2021.

Grain of salt and all that, but fingers crossed.

Le Red

During lockdown the talk was that Inter weren't impressed and their interest in making it permanent had dwindled.

Since lockdown he's been MOTM twice out of four games, he came on vs Parma and turned it around for Inter. Considering they'll likely be in the CL next season and want to challenge for the league, they might have changed their mind.

I still expect them to loan him another season with an obligation to buy him for €8-10m the season after.
Could it be the Covid break did him some good? He seemed so gassed physically and mentally with us.

Varun1

The top-rated ITK on muppetiers (apparently he/she has had the most claims proven correct) just posted that Sanchez is going to Inter permanently. Loan with obligation to buy at the end of 2021.

First time I've come across that sub. Is he actually reliable?

TrustInOle

Same guy, ITK4, also said it's complex but Inter are taking care of his wages also, but deal won't be announced till after EL finishes.

Surely this is to good to be true? Even if we get £5mil for him it's hard to imagine Inter taking on those kind of wages?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yeah it's a possibility, it's done wonders for Matic.

Wasn't there a season or two Sanchez never missed a game for Arsenal and Chile prior to signing for us?
A season or 4 where he played about 11 months of every year.

Kyonn

Same guy, ITK4, also said it's complex but Inter are taking care of his wages also, but deal won't be announced till after EL finishes.

Surely this is to good to be true? Even if we get £5mil for him it's hard to imagine Inter taking on those kind of wages?
Likely whatever "fee" United get will be turned over to Sanchez as compensation for lessor wages.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
What is the point of these loan with the obligation to buy deals? How is it different from straight up buying the player, other than the time when the bulk of the payment will be made?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
What is the point of these loan with the obligation to buy deals? How is it different from straight up buying the player, other than the time when the bulk of the payment will be made?
You mitigate the cost until the next year.

If you just move into an apartment but you need a sofa and a fridge, if you get an offer to say you can have both the sofa and the fridge, but you can take the fridge now with no payment but in 3 months time you pay the full amount, it offers you financial flexibility to get both the things you need.

A club who wants a CB and a striker, but can't afford the CB right now, offering them the player for 0 this year (covid impact) but instalment over the next 3 years means its a much more attractive offer.

Smalling/Sanchez might be a nothing player in 2 years (big injury) for example, but they still are obligated to buy and pay the instalments, it means United get him off the wage books, and the fee is still paid.

If United fancied a title challenge next year and wanted Sancho, a Striker and a CB, trying to get the player for 70% their value/valuation now, and instalments yearly for the remaining 30% its probably better for the squad now too. Higher league positions, getting further into the CL would mitigate those instalment costs too.

Finishing top 2/3 or even winning a title is worth much more than waiting until the following year to buy a player in those cases.

For example a player at 100,000,000 getting them for 60,000,000 but instalments of 10,000,000 over 4 years plus a small amount of interest (but) finishing higher in the CL could net 20m for making it to a semi final each year, which would mitigate those 10,000,000 instalments. Plus merchandise for the player could help pay those instalment fees off.

There's other factors too (say in Uniteds cases) the club is due a new shirt sponsor (the season after next) Chevrolet is no-longer paying the £64m a year sponsor deal for the kit, buying big names and paying later means brands are more likely to sponsor as they think it could be exposure to their brand.

Getting the player now versus later increases views, sponsors and makes your club more attractive.

Last edited:

hungrywing

First time I've come across that sub. Is he actually reliable?
I only found it about a month ago as well. From what I can tell they regard that poster as the best in terms of 'okay this person definitely has connections and is not a random attention-seeker'.

That sub is what came out of the De Ligt saga I believe. The moderator kicked all the fakers to the curb and then started this particular sub with only the people who'd been proven consistently right. So it would stand to reason that he/she probably has a proven track record there to be regarded as well as they are.

I agree I'd be surprised if they took over his wages wholesale. I think we'd still be subsidizing the deal; aka paying him a small sum to leave and/or zero transfer fee. From what he/she has said about the structure, it sounds like it might be similar to this post from earlier in this thread:

As posters above have said, nobody is paying us any money for this guy. The very best we could hope for now is that Sanchez agrees to have his contract cancelled with us after we pay him £7m or £8m and Inter then pay him the remainder of his United contract which is probably £20m approx (after the £7 or £8m we pay him)

That would be the best realistic outcome for us at this point, otherwise he is going nowhere.....why would he. If he stays he will cost us close to £30m in salary over the next 2 years, allow that to sink in so a goodbye payment of anything below 10m now would be best value for us.
A key factor might be that 'new tax rate' thing in Italy - I forget the details.

We take a small hit (instead of the 40m left), Sanchez accepts a small hit to his wages (Inter might end up paying him less than we do while he pockets a similar amount. It's also not beyond the realm of possibility for him to take an actual pay cut if he's hell-bent on never coming back here) and Inter gets him 'for peanuts/free' to take some of the sting out of those wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.