Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

croadyman

I think Pogba leaving is a real possibility which will hopefully see us receive a decent transfer fee which should hopefully offset a significant chunk of money towards Villa's asking price.

And then I would hope the club looks for a DM from outside of the EPL who will likely cost significantly less than Declan Rice who is vastly over priced if reports are to be believed. I think a DM and CB from the continent combined would cost less than Declan Rice which IMO is the way to go in these difficult times.
Zakaria is the one I hope we go for there in the summer and Jack simply has to be the Pogba replacement, however Woody seems to be obsessed with signing Sancho after what happened last time and does feel some noise about it.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zakaria is the one I hope we go for there in the summer and Jack simply has to be the Pogba replacement, however Woody seems to be obsessed with signing Sancho after what happened last time and does feel some noise about it.
The issue with Zakaria is that he's not long been back from a lengthy lay off and hasn't been deemed 100% match fit to start regularly by Marco Rose.

I like Zakaria and wanted him to partner Pogba. But it doesn't look like Pogba is gonna be at the club very long so I'm thinking we maybe need a midfielder who can play deeper and provide the craft and guile we were expecting of Pogba in such a role. We already have the likes of McTominay and Fred but alongside them I would now prefer someone who can control the tempo via his passing abilities and ball retention.

So I can now see the need for a player like Koopmeiners, Locatelli or even our own Ethan Galbraith to step come into the team which would be a better fit. I'm also not saying the aforementioned 3 are good enough to play for us because I've only seen them play sporadically and Galbraith is a United u23 player that will likely need a loan. But I'm just pointing out the profile of player we should target IMO.

Renegade

Grealish all day long.

He is an incredible player, and he has an end product - whether it's finding the pass or having a decent shot on goal.

Bruno and Grealish would be the closest to Xavi and Iniesta.
That’s wild.

Villa2000

Supports
villa
Rarely have i seen a player go all out and do a real "audition" on Old Trafford the way Jack Grealish did tonight.

You just can't help but see and feel - he'd love to be here. It was obvious as daylight.

This photo right here, that's just prime courting. From both sides.

Grealish looks a bit like a prime primadonna, just waiting for the right guy to take off her panties and dive in.
And Ole has his cock out that's for sure.

Whatever it takes, boys, whatever the feck it takes....
Sorry but this is arrogance of the highest order. It was not even his best game of the season. Yet he was easily the best player on the pitch. Always is.
1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell
3) he does not want to leave yet
4) he must be auditioning for every team he plays against.

Seriously deluded if you think you have a chance.

RRCE

Sorry but this is arrogance of the highest order. It was not even his best game of the season. Yet he was easily the best player on the pitch. Always is.
1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

With all due respect, do you honestly believe United wouldn’t have a chance of signing Grealish, should they decide to try? In my opinion, that’s a more deluded perspective.

I don’t believe for a second that Grealish was “auditioning” for United on Friday. He played a very good game, but I don’t think it was anything more than a professional, hardworking performance from a very, very good player. He was doing everything he could to help his team win a game of football.

I also don’t believe that Grealish would be easy to sign. Villa would fight to keep him, he’d cost a bomb, and he’d probably have to push for the move. That said, if United decide they want Grealish, of course they have a chance of getting him. Every player has a price, and most players are ambitious, wanting to play at the highest level, for the biggest club possible. If United were willing to pay the price, I’d be quite surprised if Grealish wouldn’t jump at the opportunity.

Again, absolutely no offence intended.

hobbers

1) you cant afford him
Everything else aside, of course we can afford him. Villa would snap anyone's hand off if they were offered lets say somewhere around £80-100m. And Grealish would naturally want the move. And if you don't think that's the case then you are the deluded one.

Question is, is he worth that sort of fee? Probably not. But it would be a better way to spend up to £100m than going back in for Sancho, that's for damn sure. Even when Pogba leaves, with VdB in we'd have other bigger priorities to sort out before signing Grealish. Namely a centreback and holding midfielder.

tenpoless

I think Pogba leaving is a real possibility which will hopefully see us receive a decent transfer fee which should hopefully offset a significant chunk of money towards Villa's asking price.

And then I would hope the club looks for a DM from outside of the EPL who will likely cost significantly less than Declan Rice who is vastly over priced if reports are to be believed. I think a DM and CB from the continent combined would cost less than Declan Rice which IMO is the way to go in these difficult times.
100% agree with this

SprintTriathlon

Comparing Grealish to this one or that and in pair with Bruno or not is irrelevant, he is his own person and excellent at that. In a fierce competitive team he would thrive and become amazing, and more so than Sancho at least in a two-three years perspective.

Last edited:

keithsingleton

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

You sound bitter? Is that because he might leave and go to a bigger/better club with more chance of silverware rather than stay at Villa? How do you know he doesn't want to leave? These days footballers have no loyalty.

Even if he stays at your place nothing wrong with United fans saying he's a great player.

croadyman

Everything else aside, of course we can afford him. Villa would snap anyone's hand off if they were offered lets say somewhere around £80-100m. And Grealish would naturally want the move. And if you don't think that's the case then you are the deluded one.

Question is, is he worth that sort of fee? Probably not. But it would be a better way to spend up to £100m than going back in for Sancho, that's for damn sure. Even when Pogba leaves, with VdB in we'd have other bigger priorities to sort out before signing Grealish. Namely a centreback and holding midfielder.
Yeah I am a massive fan of him but you make a very good point about us needing to sign a CB and DM before Grealish, however will be absolutely gutted if he ends up going to a rival

BaillyBaillyBailly

I'm not quite sure how Grealish and Fernandes fit in a team together without dropping Rashford. Maybe dropping Rashford is the aim, although I think in many ways that would be PR-suicide.

If united have money to spend in Jan I would like us to go for Rice, I really think we would have the strongest midfield in the league if we got Rice and I think he would allow us to play Pogba and Fernandes together without worrying about Pogba's defensive responsibilities. If Pogba leaves, Rice, VdB + Fernandes is still probably up their with the strongest in the league.

We can then also play Rice,McT and Fernandes in games where we need to be more attritional.

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

this Post was way past your bedtime. :lol: :lol:

DickDastardly

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

Hit a nerve there did i? :keano:

We could buy Aston Villa if we wanted to.
Sure you do.
Sure he does.
Nah, just for United. You could clearly see he's gonna love life with us.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

:lol:

But Daddy wants, wants, wants!

Traub

:lol: at we can’t afford him. We paid 80m for a defender with the turning circle of the titanic, of course we could.

Brad2020

4 english players all linked with transfers away, and all likely to cost £80 million or more . Realistically we can afford one of those players at best - who would you want ? If any at all.

I really can't even decide who I would want most because I think Grealish is pure class already and I think the other 3 will be with a year or two more experience

Rice has been superb for West Ham and looks really mature for his age.
Calvert-Lewin is exactly the kind of striker we haven't got - apart from maybe a 33 year old Cavani.
Grealish is probably the best attacking midfielder in the P.L after Bruno and de Bruyne
Sancho - well, he has been soso this season but was superb last season
Grealish for me.

I know he's not the necessarily the position we need, but having two attacking midfielders of that caliber would make United a pure threat on the field.

Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about United bombing out of the top 4 if Fernandez gets injured, and like Fernandez, he has natural leadership skills, something direly needed on this squad.

The Oracle

Yeah I'm not sure about that,

Grealish and Bruno is probably the next David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne.
Yeah to be honest that's a better comparison... hypothetically comparing them to Xavi and Iniesta was a bit dreamy

phenry

Grealish for me.

I know he's not the necessarily the position we need, but having two attacking midfielders of that caliber would make United a pure threat on the field.

Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about United bombing out of the top 4 if Fernandez gets injured, and like Fernandez, he has natural leadership skills, something direly needed on this squad.
I think your spot on with the last point. We have a good team as is but without Fernandes we're back up shit creek.
It's all a question of ambition really. Do we want to be good enough that we can win the league (which with luck we might be already) or do we want to be a dominant force again. Signing Grealish would take us a big step towards the latter.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I don't think the club have invested a potential €40m on Diallo to have him sitting on the bench long-term. I honestly believe the club will give him time to make the RWF role his own in the next 12 months.

That leaves Sancho and Grealish for the LWF role and Grealish for me would be starting ahead of Rashford on the left because he's better in many facets of the game.
I think we would only sign Grealish as a mostly attacking midfielder, but not for a winger role. It's good he can do both, but it's more about what we need for our system.

NewGlory

Grealish for me.

Agree. And I think "don't need" is a very relative term. If we lose Pogba, we do need a creative midfielder. And besides, I think most cool heads would agree that, while you need solid defense and attack, as well as a goalkeeper, its' really the strong midfield that wins you trophies. Midfield is by far the most important component to have a deep bench for. Overinvest in midfield because then you can vary systems and adapt to different opponents! If you dominate the midfield, you are one step ahead, but if you have subpar midfield even the best defense and attack become detached and completely useless. Too bad people often forget it.

Villa2000

Supports
villa

100 million. Not a chance we would snap your hand off. Sorry

Villa2000

Supports
villa
:lol: at we can’t afford him. We paid 80m for a defender with the turning circle of the titanic, of course we could.
Nowhere near 100 million. Not today. Best at his job in the league. We would turn down 200 if honest. But keep trying. No offence just saying. Villa is his club. So very good luck

NewGlory

Nowhere near 100 million. Not today. Best at his job in the league. We would turn down 200 if honest. But keep trying. No offence just saying. Villa is his club. So very good luck
Then that's good (for Villa) that you are not any kind of decision-maker at Villa, but if we are back to reality:
1. Your club isn't wealthy enough to decline that kind of money. Nor are they title-contenders to have a reason for being so foolish
2. However, there's no chance in hell that we'd pay you even 100 mill for Graelish. Maybe 70 at most, up to 75-80 with conditions. Which is also why it hasn't happened yet and may never happen

Traub

Fair enough if that’s what you think. Him signing that new contract reminds me of Ronaldo signing with us just before he left - it ensures Villa get a fair price under the proviso that he wants the move. If he genuinely signed that deal with no agreement that he could leave at the right price, well then I doubt he’d want to move regardless of the offer (or he just has terrible advisors).

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Villa would accept 100m for Villa honestly, credit to where Villa are in the league, but honestly I think if Grealish was offered a United move he would say yes.

Players like him most likely want to win trophies, the best Villa will get is perhaps an FA Cup and get out of the group stages of something like the Europa League in a peak season.

He could go to any club in Europe given his current form honestly.

Statistically this season not many in the Premier League have had seasons like him, and that's saying something.

Threesus

Wow some incredibly condescending posts here. Jack is worth far more to villa than whatever money anyone gives them. And they are on a upward trend with a good manager, good team and very rich owners.
And also, I would love the talents to be more spread out in the league. And Villa are a big club and one of the few English clubs to be the champions of Europe. I just hope if he ever thinks about leaving villa, he comes to us or goes abroad. Would hate to see him in a Liverpool or a City shirt.
Furthermore, Tottenham could have had him for 35 million pounds. What a front three Kane, Son and Grealish would have been.

justsomebloke

To me Grealish is the best of those options. A front three of him, Rashford and Bruno behind whoever plays striker would be dominant. He's the right type of player, ha sthe right kind of mindset and ambition and the right kind of skill to both be made better by Rash and Bruno and to make them better as well. Also, he's got real positional versatility - not only CAN he play different positions (lots of players do that), he can can play several positions seemingly roughly equally well (which not many players can). That is a huge asset.

Sancho may be great, but it somehow doesn't seem such a certainty that he'll fit in with the others. DCL is a wonderful striker who would give us a box threat we don't have, but I don't think he's a player with potentially transformative impact, which Grealish is. And Rice simply isn't as good as the others.

Redcy

This idea that any player at any club is there for life is old fashioned. It used to be the case, and you will get odd exceptions, but grealish has showed no sign of that (the lad chose England knowing he would have to wait for a call up).

grealish will make a big money move if he feels it is right, the idea that any club can turn down big offers and force a player to stay, as united know too well, is laughable

passing-wind

Grealish is the closest to Hazard in terms of keeping the ball and dribbling.

However I'm still in favor of getting Sancho for RW first. His stock being down should mean a little bit cheaper.

And then maybe we can sell Pogba to fund Grealish or rice.
I think the biggest importance is balance Sancho slots right into a functional team of our best 11 in their preferred position. That means less complexity for Solskjaer to deal with. Rashford is not a right winger he's best on the left and in terms of productivity he's very useful throughout a season.

Grealish brings more creativity but I'm unsure if he will suit the fast attacking play we often impose against bigger opposition. He slows the tempo down which is no issue for Villa as he's the vocal point of the attack but he won't receive that here with Fernandes influence.

People need to think objectively regarding Grealish, him being good at keeping possession doesn't mean everything if the team is not suited to maintain his influence. I would put Grealish as the priority if he's doing what he's doing exclusively on the right hand side of play but he's not he's in the left. Anyone talking him playing in midfield hasn't a clue we often deploy a double pivot midfield with Fernandes in front, we don't utilise a 433 consistently.

The player we need to buy needs to add something to our immediate first 11 because that's how we build consistency, Ole will find himself in Lampard's shoes with headaches continually re-evaluating the transition of a team with restarting the building process around individual players. Pogbas leaving we need a DLP to fulfill his shoes, we have no right winger of any use insert Sancho.

Houdini

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

Why should he stay at Villa? He's not going to spend his best years in mediocre team. He will end here or other top club. Soon. For a COVID price :drool:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

We can afford him.
He would join us.

NewGlory

I think the biggest importance is balance Sancho slots right into a functional team of our best 11 in their preferred position. That means less complexity for Solskjaer to deal with. Rashford is not a right winger he's best on the left and in terms of productivity he's very useful throughout a season.

Grealish brings more creativity but I'm unsure if he will suit the fast attacking play we often impose against bigger opposition. He slows the tempo down which is no issue for Villa as he's the vocal point of the attack but he won't receive that here with Fernandes influence.

People need to think objectively regarding Grealish, him being good at keeping possession doesn't mean everything if the team is not suited to maintain his influence. I would put Grealish as the priority if he's doing what he's doing exclusively on the right hand side of play but he's not he's in the left. Anyone talking him playing in midfield hasn't a clue we often deploy a double pivot midfield with Fernandes in front, we don't utilise a 433 consistently.

The player we need to buy needs to add something to our immediate first 11 because that's how we build consistency, Ole will find himself in Lampard's shoes with headaches continually re-evaluating the transition of a team with restarting the building process around individual players. Pogbas leaving we need a DLP to fulfill his shoes, we have no right winger of any use insert Sancho.
Sancho just scored his first goal yesterday, for the entirety of this season (12 appearances). And that's in fecking Bundesliga! If he was playing with us (in a tougher league) and had that kind of record this season, we would be angrier at him than we are at Dan James (at least we got James for bargain). The reality and the legend of Jadon Sancho don't align.

Grealish on the other hand is a pretty sure bet. The only question there is the price.

croadyman

Jack does feel like someone who is capable of stepping up if Bruno had a suspension or got injured for a period of time, however the Villa fan could be right about them turning down big offers for him but it really comes down to the will of the player in the end.

Ace of Spades

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

Yeah, I don't think Grealish is going to happen either.

The moment you survived the drop, and he signed a new contract that chance was gone. Also, don't think we can pay that much on one player with the current climate.

croadyman

The moment you survived the drop, and he signed a new contract that chance was gone. Also, don't think we can pay that much on one player with the current climate.
Yeah this would only happen if Grealish was willing to push for it, however that also applies to rival clubs wanting to sign him as well so doesn't make it unique to Utd

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
Hey all - just wanted to come and wade in on the Grealish debate and give another view from a Villa fan perspective :angel:

Yep this is exactly what likely happened. The price went through the roof after that.

1) you cant afford him
2) we dont need to sell

In the reality of a COVID football economy, I would agree with Villa2000 on this. Y'all wouldn't be able to afford him in a sense that he would take up way too much of a percent of your transfer budget for what you as a club need in the summer transfer window... adding to that he shouldn't be a priority signing for you. And TBH I just don't see any real huge money transfers at least until summer. I also don't think many of the big clubs would be able to afford what we will likely ask for Grealish either. PSG hiring Poch does worry me a bit as he tried to sign Jack for that 35 mil that our *then new owners* came in and pulled the plug on.

Villa would accept 100m for Villa honestly, credit to where Villa are in the league, but honestly I think if Grealish was offered a United move he would say yes.

Players like him most likely want to win trophies, the best Villa will get is perhaps an FA Cup and get out of the group stages of something like the Europa League in a peak season.

He could go to any club in Europe given his current form honestly.

Statistically this season not many in the Premier League have had seasons like him, and that's saying something.
As far as I know, we wanted around 100m in the summer, and he has only gone on from strength to strength. I don't disagree that if Grealish was offered a United move that he would say yes. But the price would likely be much higher than 100m.

Then that's good (for Villa) that you are not any kind of decision-maker at Villa, but if we are back to reality:
1. Your club isn't wealthy enough to decline that kind of money. Nor are they title-contenders to have a reason for being so foolish
2. However, there's no chance in hell that we'd pay you even 100 mill for Graelish. Maybe 70 at most, up to 75-80 with conditions. Which is also why it hasn't happened yet and may never happen
While the club has to adhere to FFP limits, our owners are the 3rd (I think) richest in the PL. We've spent 100m + each of the last two summers, so they are heavily investing in the club. I know everybody has a price (see Coutinho) and I think that's the type of haul our owners would be looking for.