Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

Murray3007

would take the 4 of them here in a heartbeat, all add something different to what we have, only chance of Grealish would be if Pogba goes, sure I read he has a release clause in his contract as well. Sancho still an excellent player and would be fantastic, fee would be alot lower for me now but more competition for his signature, like Calvert-Lewin a lot again would be a big fee but would ideally want to see if he could do it again next season, his overall game has improved dramatically this last 12 months. Rice is the one I would take first of the 4, solves the most problems for me hes better then our current crop of midfielders, his improvement on the ball this season has been brilliant, reads the game superbly as well. 70m fee but it aint my money at the end of the day and its better than it sitting in the Glazers pockets

troylocker

4 english players all linked with transfers away, and all likely to cost £80 million or more . Realistically we can afford one of those players at best - who would you want ? If any at all.

I really can't even decide who I would want most because I think Grealish is pure class already and I think the other 3 will be with a year or two more experience

Rice has been superb for West Ham and looks really mature for his age.
Calvert-Lewin is exactly the kind of striker we haven't got - apart from maybe a 33 year old Cavani.
Grealish is probably the best attacking midfielder in the P.L after Bruno and de Bruyne
Sancho - well, he has been soso this season but was superb last season
Rice - Right now I'm happy with the midfield-options we have (Fred, McTom, Matic, DVB and Pogba), and I would save the money for more pressing positions
Calvert-Lewin - Good, but not good enough. Not an obvious 1st choice, so no. I would rather have another go at Haaland before we go for a rotation option up front.
Grealish - Great player, but we have already have great players for the LW/AM position (Rashford, Martial, Bruno and VDB) If he was proven on the right wing as well I would be a lot more positive.
Sancho - I think this is the one I want the most. A dip in form doesn't make his any less of a talent, and I think Ole with his man-management skills would get the best out of him. Seems less likely that we will get him though, with us getting two teenager RWs in.

Artorias

Rice - Right now I'm happy with the midfield-options we have (Fred, McTom, Matic, DVB and Pogba), and I would save the money for more pressing positions
Calvert-Lewin - Good, but not good enough. Not an obvious 1st choice, so no. I would rather have another go at Haaland before we go for a rotation option up front.
Grealish - Great player, but we have already have great players for the LW/AM position (Rashford, Martial, Bruno and VDB) If he was proven on the right wing as well I would be a lot more positive.
Sancho - I think this is the one I want the most. A dip in form doesn't make his any less of a talent, and I think Ole with his man-management skills would get the best out of him. Seems less likely that we will get him though, with us getting two teenager RWs in.
Grealish for me is a must. Great player that can play in 3 position... is like having Bruno playing in the wings.

croadyman

Grealish for me is a must. Great player that can play in 3 position... is like having Bruno playing in the wings.
Yeah I would love to sign him as well but he has to push for the move because Villa don't need the money and therefore they can easily afford to turn down big offers for Jack

Silverman

Could we fit Grealish into a team with Bruno where both can perform to their best?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Could we fit Grealish into a team with Bruno where both can perform to their best?
We can definitely fit them in I have no doubt about that and i'm confident we can get the best out of both because they're stylisticly different with Fernandes being more direct and Grealish being more graceful on the ball with excellent ball retention skills.

croadyman

We can definitely fit them in I have no doubt about that and i'm confident we can get the best out of both because they're stylisticly different with Fernandes being more direct and Grealish being more graceful on the ball with excellent ball retention skills.
Yeah I am confident that we could play both of them together, however we would need to sell Pogba first but more importantly Grealish has to push for this move otherwise no chance it will ever happen

zenith

Reckon it will be a DM plus one of either Sancho or Grealish. Getting both will not make sense, either financially or by style of play and as good as Grealish has been, I'd still be more inclined to go for Sancho, if we could get him for below 100 million.

Reason being that our right side is so terribly misbalanced that opposition prefers to lock up the left flank. Sancho would give us more balance, whereas Grealish would require us to make adjustments to our two best players positions, so that they don't come in each other's way.

NoPace

Out of the top 6, who ever buys Jack Grealish gets crowned champion.
That's what he brings and that's how good he is.
Don't think he'd immediately transform Chelsea, but tough to argue he wouldn't give City the Silva replacement they need, United a 2nd creative star next to Bruno or Liverpool a genuine star who fits their midfield 3 system with Fabinho or Henderson sitting and one of Thiago, Keita or Wijnaldum (if he stays)

saivet

I think the biggest importance is balance Sancho slots right into a functional team of our best 11 in their preferred position. That means less complexity for Solskjaer to deal with. Rashford is not a right winger he's best on the left and in terms of productivity he's very useful throughout a season.

Grealish brings more creativity but I'm unsure if he will suit the fast attacking play we often impose against bigger opposition. He slows the tempo down which is no issue for Villa as he's the vocal point of the attack but he won't receive that here with Fernandes influence.

People need to think objectively regarding Grealish, him being good at keeping possession doesn't mean everything if the team is not suited to maintain his influence. I would put Grealish as the priority if he's doing what he's doing exclusively on the right hand side of play but he's not he's in the left. Anyone talking him playing in midfield hasn't a clue we often deploy a double pivot midfield with Fernandes in front, we don't utilise a 433 consistently.

The player we need to buy needs to add something to our immediate first 11 because that's how we build consistency, Ole will find himself in Lampard's shoes with headaches continually re-evaluating the transition of a team with restarting the building process around individual players. Pogbas leaving we need a DLP to fulfill his shoes, we have no right winger of any use insert Sancho.
I agree with this. Unless we are switching to a 433 and playing Grealish and Bruno in CM and buying a new DM to play with them buying Grealish doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm sure him or Rashford could do okay playing on the right but to pay £100m for a player to not play him in one of his best positions is crazy. Grealish is a quality player and I wouldn't be upset at him coming to United but we need to be looking for players that fit into the system rather than just the best players available.

rotherham_red

I think I might have initially answered Sancho to this question, but the more I think of Grealish, the more I want him here. Someone with his leadership and skills could really have us pushing to where we want to be.

Houdini

Grealish would be an epic signing, Sancho for 60M YES, Rice would be a good as wee need DM but there are better options (not sure if they are "in the market"), CL does not fit our system but could be a great plan B coming from the bench.

Silverman

I'm sold.

lex talionis

I’ve written before that I’d break the bank for Jack. Still of that view even after several days of calming down after the Villa match.

I suppose I should know this, but isn’t it the case that Villa have no significant financial constraints? Could not become the next Chelsea or City? In other words, Jack may look at his club and ask whether he could propel Villa to be a truly top EPL power.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
I’ve written before that I’d break the bank for Jack. Still of that view even after several days of calming down after the Villa match.

I suppose I should know this, but isn’t it the case that Villa have no significant financial constraints? Could not become the next Chelsea or City? In other words, Jack may look at his club and ask whether he could propel Villa to be a truly top EPL power.
Outside of FFP, we don't. Both of our owners are billionaires and have spent 100m + in the last 2 summer transfer windows.

I'm not naïve enough to think that Jack will spend the rest of his career with us but I really wouldn't be surprised to see him wanting to go to Real or Barca (though neither could afford him at the moment I think with their financial situations)

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Imagine thinking for one second we shouldn't add Grealish because we might not be able to play Rashford, Bruno, Martial and Pogba.

Martial and Pogba can sit on the Bench.

croadyman

Yeah tonight was living proof of what Grealish could offer in a game where Bruno is just not having that effect, think he would also give us more of that LW than Rashford which I know is an opinion that many in here probably won't like. If we have to pay big money for them so be it because can cover 10/LW and maybe even RW as well despite him not playing there in 7 years.

The Oracle

Imagine thinking for one second we shouldn't add Grealish because we might not be able to play Rashford, Bruno, Martial and Pogba.

Martial and Pogba can sit on the Bench.
Our team was crying out for Grealish out there.

In fact I'm gonna call him 'The Locksmith' because he would have picked open that City team tonight.

Superunknown

If we have the opportunity to sign any of these four, we should explore it. Imo, we're not in the position to be turning down players of this quality. I would kill for a world class centre forward to come in. Love Cavani, but age rules him out being the long-term solution.

croadyman

If we have the opportunity to sign any of these four, we should explore it. Imo, we're not in the position to be turning down players of this quality. I would kill for a world class centre forward to come in. Love Cavani, but age rules him out being the long-term solution.
Yeah need to look at bringing in a top class centre forward after Cavani leaves in 2022

Becks00

In fact I'm gonna call him 'The Locksmith' because he would have picked open that City team tonight.
This. He would have also helped in helping us control possession better, those fouls he wins would have been extremely useful in the team tonight

Superunknown

Yeah need to look at bringing in a top class centre forward after Cavani leaves in 2022
I have to say though that his fitness for his age is fantastic. The guy never stops working. I've taken to him a lot more than I thought I would have, as I previously didn't know too much about him. But, the way he moves, the space he creates and attacks and the way he's always looking for a goal is something that we desperately lack. In terms of what we need for the long-term, he's the closest fit that we've got. It's frustrating that we have three or four players who have various qualities that we need, whereas we actually need those skills combined into one or two players.

or the milkman.

he always delivers...

(ripped from one of the early seasons of big brother, when it was actually relevant).

croadyman

I have to say though that his fitness for his age is fantastic. The guy never stops working. I've taken to him a lot more than I thought I would have, as I previously didn't know too much about him. But, the way he moves, the space he creates and attacks and the way he's always looking for a goal is something that we desperately lack. In terms of what we need for the long-term, he's the closest fit that we've got. It's frustrating that we have three or four players who have various qualities that we need, whereas we actually need those skills combined into one or two players.
Yeah completely agree with you and can see just how much he was missed tonight

The Oracle

or the milkman.

he always delivers...

(ripped from one of the early seasons of big brother, when it was actually relevant).
Two things I'm a big fan of...
Reality TV and Football

Because they're both unscripted drama.

Though it is questionable how unscripted reality TV really is.
Mind you, even Italian football was scripted a few years back :)

croadyman

Hopefully Ole will realise in the summer when Pogba goes we are in dire need of more creativity, tonight showed when Bruno doesn't perform we look absolutely toothless in that aspect of the game.

Diabovermelho

Grealish for me. Especially if Pogba goes in the summer. We really need more creativity and someone who can hold the ball and beat the press.

saivet

Grealish to replace Pogba seems like the most obvious bit of business in a very long time. I really hope we can make that happen.
I don't think it is. While he brings creativity, it's a very different skillset to Pogba and if he does come in we will be lacking a player that will progress the ball from deep. In addition it will mean either Grealish or Rashford will be put out of their position and on the right hand side.

As good of a player as he is, we may not solve any problems and still have an issue in CDM or RW.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think it is. While he brings creativity, it's a very different skillset to Pogba and if he does come in we will be lacking a player that will progress the ball from deep. In addition it will mean either Grealish or Rashford will be put out of their position and on the right hand side.

As good of a player as he is, we may not solve any problems and still have an issue in CDM or RW.
But who is saying its the only bit of business we'd do? It obviously wouldn't be.

saivet

But who is saying its the only bit of business we'd do? It obviously wouldn't be.
So where would we be signing him to play? His best position are at no.10 where we have Bruno and VDB and at LW where we have Rashford and Martial.

He may very well be the best player we can sign but I'm not sure it's a sensible one given our squad.