Sancho, Grealish, Rice or Calvert-Lewin?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah I have also seen people say that Sancho is better on the left as well, so maybe we should look at someone who may not be as highly rated as him but his natural position is on the RW but that's probably a daft suggestion
The head says Sancho is still the better bet, a sensible build for the future with a wonder kid style transfer, but the Grealish is the romantic one.
Basically signing one of the best English players in the league - almost a Fergie style buy.

croadyman

The head says Sancho is still the better bet, a sensible build for the future with a wonder kid style transfer, but the Grealish is the romantic one.
Basically signing one of the best English players in the league - almost a Fergie style buy.
I think you would have to pay similar kind of money for both players, if Jack had played a bit more on the RW than just that little cameo for Villa the other week when he set up a goal for Watkins then I would give him the edge over Jadon

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think you would have to pay similar kind of money for both players, if Jack had played a bit more on the RW than just that little cameo for Villa the other week when he set up a goal for Watkins then I would give him the edge over Jadon
For the fee either would take, they have to play in their best position, and every week.

We've seen with Pogba, buying him, then wondering for years how best to use him that you create all manner of problems.

It's better to have a lesser player who fits the team perfectly, than a worldy who doesn't.

croadyman

For the fee either would take, they have to play in their best position, and every week.

We've seen with Pogba, buying him, then wondering for years how best to use him that you create all manner of problems.

It's better to have a lesser player who fits the team perfectly, than a worldy who doesn't.
Yeah I feel like that kind of player would benefit us more but who is out there that fits the criteria

croadyman

Grealish has that touch of Bruno and Eric character about him. If he was able to be comfortable down the right. He is the only attacker apart from Ousmane Dembele that I'd pick over Sancho for a right winger spot
Yeah he hasn't played there since his days on loan at Notts County

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Grealish has that touch of Bruno and Eric character about him. If he was able to be comfortable down the right. He is the only attacker apart from Ousmane Dembele that I'd pick over Sancho for a right winger spot
Imagine bringing Grealish in and playing him as a right winger :nono:

SecondFig

Personally, I'd love to see us get Grealish - as others have said, he has the attitude. He wants the ball, he wants the responsiblity, and if he gets fouled or kicked he gets back up and does it again...

That said, positionally, Sancho is far and away the obvious choice. We're crying out for a proper right-sided player, and trying to force Grealish onto the right - or moving Rashford or Fernandes out there, feels like a silly thing to do.

Pickle85

Sancho for me. Love Grealish but he's not as comfortable in the position we are more desperate to fill and is a few years older. If we were looking for somebody for the left though he would obviously take it. He's a joy to watch play; even moreso than Sancho when on song imo. Re DCL: I can't shake the feeling that he'll revert back to bang average at some point. Rather unfairly I've tarred him with the 'bang average but momentarily rated Everton striker' brush, to be filed alongside Danny Cadimateri and Victor Anichebe.

KW2006

Want to see Grealish in a United shirt. And he is not a old man, just about the same age as Bruno when the latter joined us, could give us 3-4 prime years at least.

Champagne Football

We won't be signing Sancho as we bought Diallo for the right wing.

I think Grealish will be too expensive. We will not pay 100 million for him.

Calvert-lewin is not really the type of striker we need and would be too expensive.

Rice is unlikely but West Ham are crazy to buy Lingard so you never know.

Patson Daka and Pau Torres probably more likely than any of these 4 young English players.

POF

Imagine bringing Grealish in and playing him as a right winger :nono:
He'd be Villa's best right winger by a long way. He just doesn't play there because he can be more influential as a 10 or on the left. It's a different ball game at a big club.

Rashford and Bruno can also play right side. Rashford played a lot of football on the right coming through the academy and scored a Champions League hattrick from there this season.

If you have players with the right character and ability, you can play them together. If anything, having the flexibility to rotate positions is a positive, not a negative.

Pogba and Dan James have played a lot of football wide left this season. Signing Van de Beek rather than Grealish cost United a lot of points this season.

Litch

....we can't afford any of them sadly with these owners. 70 - 80m will be net spend, so will be need to sell players I'd sooner keep to play with them, not instead of them...

Zlatattack

We're always late to the party, i don't know why. Grealish and Rice both look very good right now and we could have had a reasonable shot at them last season.

I suspect we'll do the same with Ben White and the likes of Camavinga.

Lynty

Grealish has been the best player in the league for almost 2 years in my opinion.

I'd love to see him here.

432JuanMata

Our English signings we have make under Ole have question marks about being good enough for us to be a top team. Not hating on English players but at no point should we just sign a player because he is English. That is why I never understood “young and British” as being a plus, I don’t care where the player is from as long as he is good enough.

Only Grealish is good enough for a top tier side out the players mentioned right now with Sancho obviously having the potential to be.
Rice(same as Sancho) gets a lot of attention on the caf because he plays in a position which we desperately need to improve DM like Sancho with the RW but overall I’m not sure they would be top tier

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Best player out of those is Grealish, followed by Sancho.

marktan

Grealish easily, and shift Rashford to the RW who's played okay there.

Don't think we want to spend a large part of our budget ok a CF, Martial has been sub par but he showed he can score last season and he has better all round play than most available strikers.

I have qualms about spending more than £60m on Sancho, his figures in the Bundesliga are inflated and he's looked poor in the CL. But I'd have no qualms about spending £80m on Grealish.

ajay1002

If the club think Amad is going to make it as a first team player, I don't see the point in buying a player only a few years older for the same position. I think Utd would be better off looking at experienced RWs about 27 years old who will do the bulk of the job and rotate with Amad until he is ready to take the position full time in about 3 seasons, by which time the older player will become his backup.

Would love to have Grealish here. Should really have put an offer in for him last summer before he renewed his contract with Villa. Put him on the left and push Rashford up into a more traditional striker's role.

Definitely need a decent DM to allow the team to play without the defensive midfield pairing against the weaker sides. Not sure if Rice is the solution to this but something definitely needs to be done about this position.

Nero

Sancho. Solve the decade long right wing issue once and for all.

Already have Rashford left, waste of limited resources buying Grealish, regardless of his obvious quality. Rashford as a right winger or a #9 is proven not to work.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I would definitely take Calvert-Lewin. Exactly what we are missing, someone to put the chances away.
Martial is simply not good enough or not interested enough.
And Greenwood is not yet a first choice starter.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Best player out of those is Grealish, followed by Sancho.
Yes he may be the best player in that bunch. But assuming Pogba stays and with Bruno, our priority is a proper striker.

davidmichael

For the balance of the team and what is genuinely needed I’d go,

1. Sancho
2. Rice
3. DCL
4. Grealish

That doesn’t mean where I personally rate them as I think Grealish is a fantastic player, the problem is with Fernandes and Pogba in midfield and Rashford out left Grealish would simply be a luxury player that would need to be shoehorned into the team.

We all know we need a right sided attacker and Sancho is clearly our number one choice, the best way I could describe him is as a right sided English version of Hazard as he’s as much a playmaker as he is a winger and it’s breaking teams down that’s long been our problem.

People complain we don’t have any creativity from midfield outside of Fernandes but that’s due to not having a pure out and out defensive midfielder with lots of stamina to cover the midfield and shield the defence, Rice would do that and it’d allow us to play Pogba and Fernandes together in the biggest games so we play to win rather than play not to lose.

We need a proper centre forward and whilst Haaland is the dream I think reports that Raiola and Haaland Sr wanting €20 million each to facilitate the deal then €30 million a year for Haaland in wages on top of a fee is ridiculous and a non starter, DCL is a great centre forward and would be a different option to Martial and Greenwood (I’m using Cavani leaving here) up top but even DCL would be pricey.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Perhaps unrealistic but I’d like to see us go all out:
- Lingard + £50 million for Rice
- £80 million for Grealish
- £40 million for Pedro Neto

£170 gross

Sales
- Dalot £10 million
- Mata released
- jones/Rojo peanuts
- Bailly £15 million

£150 ish net.

That’s a big spend for Utd and is likely more than we will go for, but it would be a transformative summer providing we could keep Pogba top.

Mylock

Perhaps unrealistic, but I’d like to see us go all out:

£170 gross

Sales
- Dalot £10 million
- Mata released
- jones/Rojo peanuts
- Bailly £15 million

£150 ish net.

That’s a big spend for Utd and is likely more than we will go for, but it would be a transformative summer, providing we could keep Pogba top.
A new CH has to be in the top 3 requirements for this transfer window.

Falcow

Perhaps unrealistic but I’d like to see us go all out:

£170 gross

Sales
- Dalot £10 million
- Mata released
- jones/Rojo peanuts
- Bailly £15 million

£150 ish net.

That’s a big spend for Utd and is likely more than we will go for, but it would be a transformative summer providing we could keep Pogba top.
That would be a great summer but right now I think a striker is our most pressing need, we desperately need one. Halaand ideally but I would happily take DCL.

Actually replace Rice with DCL and that would be a great summer indeed.

TrustInJanuzaj

A new CH has to be in the top 3 requirements for this transfer window.
I would like a new CB but I think our attack and midfield has more pressing needs. Rice would sure up the side massively too.

OrcaFat

If Pogba stays, Rice.

If Pogba goes, Grealish and Rice.

If only one and all else left to chance then Grealish.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
1. Grealish (best player of the lot, can play anywhere across the midfield)
2. Calvert-Lewin (a striker who can put the ball in the net)
3. Sancho (2nd best player of the lot but not really necessary to get him and Grealish)
4. Rice (meh)

Mr. Christian

4 english players all linked with transfers away, and all likely to cost £80 million or more . Realistically we can afford one of those players at best - who would you want ? If any at all.

I really can't even decide who I would want most because I think Grealish is pure class already and I think the other 3 will be with a year or two more experience

Rice has been superb for West Ham and looks really mature for his age.
Calvert-Lewin is exactly the kind of striker we haven't got - apart from maybe a 33 year old Cavani.
Grealish is probably the best attacking midfielder in the P.L after Bruno and de Bruyne
Sancho - well, he has been soso this season but was superb last season
Great selection.
Any would be a great addition. Was thinking Grealish, but we have players on the left and Fernandes.

Sancho; We could do with a right sided attacker, although Diallo is supposed to be pretty special. Calvert Lewin, top target man up front! Rice is getting better every season and would be a magnificent replacement for Matic.

Decisions decisions.....
would love em all!
Will go with Calvert Lewinfor pragmatic reasons. Grealish for the pure romance and Rice for the steel and poise.
Good post

TrustInJanuzaj

That would be a great summer but right now I think a striker is our most pressing need, we desperately need one. Halaand ideally but I would happily take DCL.

Actually replace Rice with DCL and that would be a great summer indeed.
A new striker would be nice but only if we can sign a top class option. Even if we do sign someone the balance of our team will never be right unless we have a proper RW option.