Sancho needs our support

moodyred

If you are good enough, you are in the team. If you play poorly, you are out. This was such a simple rule in the past. Perhaps this new generation needs a hug like some mentioned, but does that build the resilience and grit needed to be in a team like United? Show you got it and I will support you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Any players that give it all or trying will always have my support.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He also kept Anderson around for 5 years.

We cut our Di Maria pretty damn quick. Lukaku and Sanchez too.
This thing keeps popping up. It is actually a great example of what SAF did wrong and shouldn't happened.

AFC NimbleThumb

Keep counting the months and not the bad performances. Doubt his performances get better without getting in shape though.
But you didn’t count at all. . .

Him playing badly isn’t up for discussion. Posters continuing to flat out lie to exaggerate their points is. You could have said he’s played badly for what. . . a year & a half [still not exact] but 2 years is ludicrous. Let’s also ignore the fact he signed for a dumpster fire. Let’s ignore the fact he’s come out & admitted off field has been an issue.

He’s performed as badly as your post did. You’re right though, I’d leave the counting to others.

Scottynaldinho

A poll would be ideal with keep or sell options so both sets can name and shame later on.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
But you didn’t count at all. . .

Him playing badly isn’t up for discussion. Posters continuing to flat out lie to exaggerate their points is. You could have said he’s played badly for what. . . a year & a half [still not exact] but 2 years is ludicrous. Let’s also ignore the fact he signed for a dumpster fire. Let’s ignore the fact he’s come out & admitted off field has been an issue.

He’s performed as badly as your post did. You’re right though, I’d leave the counting to others.
I started off with getting the facts wrong stating that SAF sold Kagawa and I apologize for that.

However, I think both sides in this discussion makes good point, but that they are kind of misrepresented. Selling Sancho to afford say Felix is not really ‘giving up on him’ or ‘wanting him out’.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Something seems off about Sancho. I'm wondering if there's something in his personal life or if he's not 100% fit (I tend to remember United players "suddenly" needing hernia/groin operations some time back...). No one become a bad player overnight. He was terrific at Dortmund, although I suspect having Halaand to aim at helps more than a little bit!

Sgreddevil

As fans we always support our own players regardless the team wins or loses. Criticism is part and parcel of the game and something expected by a professional football player.
I am not quite sure what kind of additional support do the fans need to provide him. From what I recalled, I don't remember him being boo-ed personally when playing for us, unlike our captain who appears to have received that which I think is unwarranted.
For someone getting paid on that level of salary, I believe there are many other people who really needs more support than him.

redcucumber

What’s going on with him, he’s deleted all his united posts on Instagram.
Not just United posts, he's deleted every single post on his Instagram. Removed his profile picture as well. I reckon this is a good thing, effectively shutting down his social media. Maybe he feels like it was an unwanted distraction?

Chairman Steve

Judging by the weird omissions from the squad this season and the previous reports over the years, he strikes me as someone who doesn’t really love football all that much. Maybe he did at first but now it’s become almost like a chore and/or doing it for the money. I remember reports of him being quite pre-occupied with video games and staying up late doing that, which obviously messes with you fitness wise if you’re getting limited sleep. He might be obsessed with social media especially if he’s gone scorched earth on his Instagram.

One of my friends is a professional sports person and had an Instagram account, which they admitted they were on all the time to me and bunch of our friends. They got rid of it because it took up so much of their time, and the end result was they said it’s much less distracting now, and they feel no need for it anymore. Interestingly my friend didn‘t enjoy playing their sport for a good portion of their career.

Maybe the pressure of playing under the intense spotlight of United may be getting to him too. The level of scrunity between Dortmund and United is worlds apart. You could be subject to an example in an African parliament let’s not forget. That’s the reach of United in the world.

Maybe he’s training separately because he’s way behind everyone else fitness wise whilst he sorts his issues out. Maybe ETH is trying to get him in the right frame of mind for his benefit.

This is all my personal speculation and based on hunches. Hopefully Sancho can resolve them and get back to fulfilling his potential.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I am just describing how Sir Alex Ferguson handled these things. If someone came in and had problems with the pressure, couldn’t get into the top IX, we sold them and moved forward after a year.

Sancho still have a high value. You recoup a lot of value if you sell him now.

Like, do you think it was wrong by SAF to “give up” on Shinji Kagawa? We bought him for 16m, sold him for 8m. 50% loss.

The current regime (at least prior to ETH arriving) would never have sold a Kagawa after a year. They would have kept him around for 5 years and then let him walk away.

It works both ways, SAF bought Wilfried Zaha and also gave up on him fast. But it meant something to be a player of our team. Players that came here had to live up to a standard, or they were sold. Now it’s all 100% business decisions. I think that has taken a big big toll on the attitude and mindset of our team.
Yeah not a great post.

Especially the Zaha bit which is miles off the mark. Sir Alex bought him ready for the next manager to develop.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Yeah not a great post.

Especially the Zaha bit which is miles off the mark. Sir Alex bought him ready for the next manager to develop.
Yeah, not my brightest moment. ;)

I have touched upon it, but like the point 100% still stands. The examples were perhaps not brilliant. But anyone who followed this team under SAF knows that there are many many other examples.

SAF stood by his signings and had their back, but if you did not deliver, he sold you. The club had really high standards and everyone coming here knew it. If you didn’t try to live up to those standards, you were sold. If you had lived up to those standards for several years, but started to get to many distractions, you were sold.

ExoduS

He will get support when he starts playing well. This isn't a support group. For that he can meet with other non performing footballers so they can talk to each other why they are under performing.

Eli Zee

why does he need our support? Fans will treat all players equally, for the most part. Play good and they love you. Not good enough? You'll get shat on until you're gone.

it's just the way it is... I wish him the best whether he is here or there, but I and everyone else here for the most part will be a United supporter first and a player's fan 2nd.

Abraxas

why does he need our support? Fans will treat all players equally, for the most part. Play good and they love you. Not good enough? You'll get shat on until you're gone.

it's just the way it is... I wish him the best whether he is here or there, but I and everyone else here for the most part will be a United supporter first and a player's fan 2nd.
What a weird, black and white take this is. As if it's that simple in football.

Why would a player need support? Many reasons. Out of form, struggling to adjust to a country or type of football, adapting to the manager's expectations, personal issues. Some of these are things that can be overcome, so that's why support is vital in the interim.

If they get shat on whenever they aren't putting in great performance then we're not doing a lot to increase the chances, which is not good for the player and ultimately not good for the club that invests a lot in players, which goes against what you're saying about club over player. They're working to the same ends.

This isn't even a Sancho point, it's common sense as a supporter that players need a degree of support. Of course that runs out eventually, and maybe the end of this season might be a point for Jadon where that starts to rightfully happen.

Sushi Kagawa

I hope he pushes on but if not then it will be an almighty flop for the club

ExoduS

Zero empathy on show
Empathy for a guy making almost 20m a year? Are you kidding me man. I don't break six figures and if I sucked at my job I'd be fired within few months. At least he has his 5 year contract which can't be broken for being sh1te at football.

Eli Zee

Why would a player need support? Many reasons. Out of form, struggling to adjust to a country or type of football, adapting to the manager's expectations, personal issues. Some of these are things that can be overcome, so that's why support is vital in the interim.

If they get shat on whenever they aren't putting in great performance then we're not doing a lot to increase the chances, which is not good for the player and ultimately not good for the club that invests a lot in players, which goes against what you're saying about club over player. They're working to the same ends.

This isn't even a Sancho point, it's common sense as a supporter that players need a degree of support. Of course that runs out eventually, and maybe the end of this season might be a point for Jadon where that starts to rightfully happen.

i disagree. You can consider external factors, but at the end of the day you are good enough or You aren't. This is their job and people get fired everyday for not being up to the task. if I had a business and i wasn't delivering a good enough product, I wouldn't ask my customers to support me through this hard time and buy a shitty product... I'd make sure I deliver better next time and earn back their support. If there are personal issues affecting him, the club will be made aware.

His coaches, teammates, friends and family can support him far better than any of us can... he probably does not need support from random people he'll never meet who don't even know him.

What kind of support should sancho be given? He's not a baby. He understands what it takes to be a professional footballer and if he doesn't have what it takes to make it at the club, fan's support or lack of will not change that

Every player is rated and criticized for their match performance. It's not wrong to point out players who are not meeting expectations.

I'd say it's wrong to get personal, be an asshole about it, etc but to claim we all Have to support him? I'd say give me a break.. same happened with Harry maguire. Everyone is happy he's out of the starting line up...where are your comments saying let's support Harry?

I'm rooting for him. I Hope he hits his full potential and is a star but that Doesn't mean I'll pretend he is the best thing since sliced bread

maverickjesus

Empathy for a guy making almost 20m a year? Are you kidding me man. I don't break six figures and if I sucked at my job I'd be fired within few months. At least he has his 5 year contract which can't be broken for being sh1te at football.
Exactly, he needs firing into the sun before he goes full team disruption/virus mode. Enough dicking around, need to get serious with players taking the club for a ride.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Perform = support.
Don’t peform over a long period = bye.

We aren’t his family or friends.

AFC NimbleThumb

:lol:

MUnchies

Why does the money he makes matter? Mental health doesn't care how rich you are. The guy is clearly going through it

What is our purpose as fans if we only support performing players but not all players. If he had disrespected the club, then I would understand but that's not the case.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Perform = support.
Don’t peform over a long period = bye.

We aren’t his family or friends.
You are fans and supporters, aren't you? I mean the word "support" is literally in the name of what you are.
The aggression towards players is so weird.

Eli Zee

You are fans and supporters, aren't you? I mean the word "support" is literally in the name of what you are.
The aggression towards players is so weird.
I can be my wife or kids biggest supporter and still be honest with them. No need to lie or sugar coat every single thing in life. Reality sometimes sucks, but reality checks are necessary. If my kid is jobless and 30, living at home, not looking for work... should I support him by continuing as it is, or give a reality check?

professionals are paid to perform. Why should we lie or pretend when they aren't? I want him to succeed but that's up to him.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I can be my wife or kids biggest supporter and still be honest with them. No need to lie or sugar coat every single thing in life. Reality sometimes sucks.

professionals are paid to perform.
DIVORCE!

Cloud7

Meh. The most successful club in the world doesn’t abide by this sort of sentimentality. If you’re underperforming there you get booed.

TsuWave

This thread has a lot of posts that fully explain why I never hold it against players when they supposedly "hold clubs to ransom" or angle for moves due to money. Football fans are horrible.

ExoduS

Why does the money he makes matter? Mental health doesn't care how rich you are. The guy is clearly going through it

What is our purpose as fans if we only support performing players but not all players. If he had disrespected the club, then I would understand but that's not the case.
Sure, fell in a bit of depression for not knowing which ride to pick. Blue Lambo or ping Bentley. It's so difficult to decide. If we were just paying him a bit more so he can just get both so poor lad doesn't have to think too much.

Stig

How much could parts of this thread also apply to Donny v d B's United career so far ?

pogbasformerbarber

The lad is still only 22. He's shown plenty of flashes IMHO, and hes dealt with some major managerial turnover in his short stint here. I don't get opinions on cutting bait on a kid at this age with this level of potential. I, for one, think there should be miles of room left to give him to sort things out here...

IRELANDUNITED

Not just United posts, he's deleted every single post on his Instagram. Removed his profile picture as well. I reckon this is a good thing, effectively shutting down his social media. Maybe he feels like it was an unwanted distraction?
If you look at his tagged photos there are 2 photos of him playing for Dortmund, which is bizarre.

Bert_

Price tags have a lot to play in this I reckon. If you are bought for big money then expectations are that you need to be a world beater immediately to justify the fee.

See Havertz, Werner, Joao Felix, Dembele etc. If any of them were bought for half the price then they would have had far more leeway. And a lack of leeway when you're in your teens or early 20s can be crushing and derail your progress.

If we picked up Sancho for around £30m then he would have probably gone under the radar and be left to work his way into the team naturally rather than having the microscope on him form day 1. Hopefully, ETH can manage him back into the player we hoped he would be.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Another person who thinks money solves everything, if it did every rich person would be as happy as a pig in shit, doesn't work like that and never has, take Ronaldo, until a week or 2 ago he earned more in a month that most of us would earn in a lifetime, he's not happy is he?