Sancho speaks good english for a German...

RashyForPM

It’s a mixture of his British streets accent and posh German accent. Even Haaland had to look down to avoid bursting into frenetic laughter.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Meanwhile Thomas Müller said

"yeah I know it was a 'ard game, they were up our jacksies the entai-ah nwainty. Fwaking' ell I'm cream crackered mate."

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
It's hilarious but I can sort of understand/relate. When you spend some time in another country you start adopting they way they speak. I remember when I spent a lot of time in south Africa I started saying "ya" quite a lot and when I came back my family noticed a slight afrikaan twang in my English

Reactions: Cheimoon

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

It’s just him accommodating his accent to his surroundings. It’s a normal thing and happens quite often.

Sylar

Hes been there since 16 no and been there four years? I havent heard him talk before this so ....

Only reason I wont ridicule him yet is due to Pogbas or Oles manc accent when talking

RUCK4444

Hes been there since 16 no and been there four years? I havent heard him talk before this so ....

Only reason I wont ridicule him yet is due to Pogbas or Oles manc accent when talking
He’s hopping on jets to London every other day to meet up with his Grime pals, I’m not buying this.

He’s probably speaking in a way that he expects the listener to understand him more clearly, but still cringey as feck.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He still has a very ordinary London accent. Here’s him doing a much less formal interview with some British YouTubers:

NotThatSoph

Sounds like a 20 year old who has been living in Germany for more than three years.

Sylar

He still has a very ordinary London accent. Here’s him doing a much less formal interview with some British YouTubers:
Ahh... well.... there you go
Wouldnt even be surprised if he was dared to do this.

Acole9

Outstanding
Never understood why people do that.

My wife's uncle is English but lives in Germany and when he comes back here he talks English to you in a German accent :lol:.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he's obviously doing that thing people do when they're trying to be accommodating to non-English native speakers. I do that sometimes when I'm in Liverpool.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I saw this tweet bellow this morning and was surprised, but never heard him speak before, so didn't think about it too much.

stu_1992

Having lived abroad for a while now, I understand this as it's not as ridiculous as it first sounds. Even if you find people with pretty good English abroad, you can't just necessarily speak as you usually would at home. You're forced to adapt a bit to make sure you're understood. Of course without that context it looks stupid, but it happens.

sillwuka

More people do this than you'd think.

It's done with good intentions but comes across a bit odd. I've put on a slight accent on how I think Thai people speak English when I visit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Having lived abroad for a while now, I understand this as it's not as ridiculous as it first sounds. Even if you find people with pretty good English abroad, you can't just necessarily speak as you usually would at home. You're forced to adapt a bit to make sure you're understood. Of course without that context it looks stupid, but it happens.
You'd expect him to go towards a more neutral south-east England, slightly RPish accent in order to be understood as this is often the accent used in ESL materials. He sounds like he learned English in Dortmund.

Not sure if he's speaking English too much with Germans and it's rubbing off on him or he's speaking a lot of German which has made him forget how to speak English.

Halftrack

It's natural. I lived in Sweden for years, and when I went back to Norway my dialect and accent were Swedish but the words were Norwegian. My brother, who's a Swede, will start "Norwegianising" his Swedish whenever he's around Norwegians. It isn't/wasn't conscious for either of us.
Joey Bartons French tops them both
Joey Barton 100% did it because he thought it made him sound sophisticated, though.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His usual accent is a pretty slang heavy “street” London accent. It’s likely he’s adopted a more “German” style accent so his teammates actually understand him. This happens all over the world. UFC has two Nigerian champions currently, one speaks with an American accent, one with a kiwi accent, yet if you hear them speak to each other they speak pidgin English with their Nigerian accents. It’s probably likely that Sancho’s teammates struggle to understand his natural accent. I don’t think he’s just being an idiot like Joey Barton.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Pogba & Ole sound Manc when they talk
English though. It’s not their language. Sancho sounds German talking his native English. So there is a difference.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Never understood why people do that.

My wife's uncle is English but lives in Germany and when he comes back here he talks English to you in a German accent :lol:.
Its call assimilation. Also, at some point, everyone wants to blend in and not be asked ''where are you from?'' as the first question that comes out of the other person's mouth. It gets old.
Students who attend Oxbridge also change their accents to a more RP version and then return home and speak as before. Same reason.

Stacks

Overseas basketball players put on a USA accent once they reach the NBA so people understand them better. He is speaking in a way that Germans can understand him. If he came up on this set talking about "opps" "we bodied them" "Haaland is a one of a kind brudda" then I am unsure if the Germans would get the message

Acole9

Outstanding
Its call assimilation. Also, at some point, everyone wants to blend in and not be asked ''where are you from?'' as the first question that comes out of the other person's mouth. It gets old.
Students who attend Oxbridge also change their accents to a more RP version and then return home and speak as before. Same reason.
I worked in France for two years and Holland for a year. Never spoke like that. Other people I worked with from the UK over there rarely spoke like that.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Some people do this. Its called the chameleon effect or something.

Will check out his videos in 14 years when he plays in China.