Sander Berge

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Hope it is ok to not start a new thread? (I would not have. Instead I considered not writing the post.)

Someone recently brought an interesting article about Berge to my attention.

He is quite big (approx 195 cm and 95 kg I would guess). The staff at Genk was consequently quite surprised when he turned out to be their fastest player on 10 m, 20 m and 40 m. He clocked in at 1,445 sek, 2,557 sek and 4,669 sek on these distances. He was also the fastest player at the club when they tested their «suppleness» (not sure if correct?).
(I do not have numbers for several players, but its better than Carew at his peak.)

His physical attributes makes him very special. 20 years old. Potential replacement for Ander Herrera?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Never seen him play, but he was frequently linked with Sevilla in the past as potential replacement for N'Zonzi. So I'd be surprised, if he'd be an replacement for Herrera.

Fosu-Mens

Hope it is ok to not start a new thread? (I would not have. Instead I considered not writing the post.)

Someone recently brought an interesting article about Berge to my attention.

He is quite big (approx 195 cm and 95 kg I would guess). The staff at Genk was consequently quite surprised when he turned out to be their fastest player on 10 m, 20 m and 40 m. He clocked in at 1,445 sek, 2,557 sek and 4,669 sek on these distances. He was also the fastest player at the club when they tested their «suppleness» (not sure if correct?).
(I do not have numbers for several players, but its better than Carew at his peak.)

His physical attributes makes him very special. 20 years old. Potential replacement for Ander Herrera?
Replacement for Matic. Plays as a holding CM/CDM.
If Sevilla struggles for the next months, due to not having replaced NZonzi properly, they will go after him in January.
And Berge would benefit from playing in Spain for 2 seasons. If Berge performs well over the next months and improving his passing/technique City might go after him as a backup/long term replacement for Fernandinho.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Never seen him play, but he was frequently linked with Sevilla in the past as potential replacement for N'Zonzi. So I'd be surprised, if he'd be an replacement for Herrera.
You should not be surprised that the media puts 2 + 2 together and end up with any number differing from 4. Typical stereotype bias. People see a big midfielder and automatically compare him to players like Matic, N’Zonzi, Carrick, Busquets etc.

Sevilla might want Berge, but he is not much like N’Zonzi currently. Might be in time (Matic was quite attacking when he was at the same age), but he consider himself as a box-to-box midfielder (admits that he needs go get better at arriving in the box). He is quite attacking and likes to get forward.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Replacement for Matic. Plays as a holding CM/CDM.
If Sevilla struggles for the next months, due to not having replaced NZonzi properly, they will go after him in January.
And Berge would benefit from playing in Spain for 2 seasons. If Berge performs well over the next months and improving his passing/technique City might go after him as a backup/long term replacement for Fernandinho.
I dont think this is correct.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Belgian newspapers reporting that Monaco are willing to pay 15 million € for Sander Berge, Norwegian player of Genk.

As you know, Genk has been selling quality players for years now: Ndidi, De Bruyne, Courtois, Benteke, Koulibaly, Milinkovic-Savic.

This Berge guy is the next big thing. Only 19 years old, big guy, excellent technique and vista. Also member of the Norwegian NT.

I wouldn't mind Utd making a bid for him.

lol

Fosu-Mens

I dont think this is correct.
From the time in Vålerenga to Genk and with the national team he is either played as the holding player in a 3man midfield or as the holding of the 2 playing central. He is seldom/never seen in the oppositon box. He got 1 goal and 1 assist from 90+ club games. Their style of play and abilities are not very similar. What makes you think he can be a replacement for Herrera?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
From the time in Vålerenga to Genk and with the national team he is either played as the holding player in a 3man midfield or as the holding of the 2 playing central. He is seldom/never seen in the oppositon box. He got 1 goal and 1 assist from 90+ club games. Their style of play and abilities are not very similar. What makes you think he can be a replacement for Herrera?
I don’t agree that he has. Berge himself has described himself as a box-to-box.

I tried finding an article about it and found this in a norwegian paper:
https://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/i/21kOOa/analytiker-forbloeffet-over-sander-berge-oppsiktsvekkende

An OPTA-analtic argues that Berge plays a lot of his passes quite high in the field. His teammate, Selnæs, says that Berge contributes more in the attack than himself (and describe himself as a holding midfielder). Berge agrees and say that he prefee being a box-to-box midfielder. He also say thar he needs to do more to get into the opposition box.

Not that different from Herrera. Herrera also covers a lot of ground, but struggles to contribute in attack.

Lars Lagerbæck says that Berge is the most complete teenager he has haver trained (did train Zlatan), and spoke highly of his tactical intelligence. Berge has played in several positions and is quite flexibel. In the long run he might be a DLP. In the short term he could do a lot. A bit similar to the squad player Herrera.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He definitely plays as the deepest midfielder for Genk.

As mentioned before, Sevilla targeted him quite heavily as an N'Zonzi replacement. That's the type of player he is; a holding midfielder with good composure and dribbling ability for the position. He is also quite quick for his size.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
cheers. That would also explain why Sevilla wasn't linked to him this summer despite N'Zonzi leaving: The new manager doesn't play with a DM anymore.

James Peril

I'm Norwegian and when was the last time Norway produced a real player since the 90's? Berge, like everyone else, is going to turn out bang average. Norwegians don't have the mentality. Josh King is our supposed superstar, but also he is bang average when it comes to being compared to every other striker in the Premier League and he was brought up at United.

Fosu-Mens

In the short term he could do a lot. A bit similar to the squad player Herrera.
I can agree that he can replace Herrera as an squad option, and he could perform adequate as a B2B midfielder, but his future is as a holding midfielder like the role Matic usually has.
And comparing Berge to Herrera rather than Matic, is not the best choice of comparison.

donkeyfish

I'm Norwegian and when was the last time Norway produced a real player since the 90's? Berge, like everyone else, is going to turn out bang average. Norwegians don't have the mentality. Josh King is our supposed superstar, but also he is bang average when it comes to being compared to every other striker in the Premier League and he was brought up at United.
Riise, Hangeland, Gamst all had decent careers in England. Neither were phenomenal, but definitely real players.

I reckon it can be the same with Sander Berge (at least).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If the fee is right he’ll go, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him see out the whole season. Genk looking really strong and this could be the first serious shot they have on the title for about 5-6 years.

Funky Futurista

Seems like he is progressing well, but might need to go to a bigger club to evolve more. He'll probably play tonight against Slovenia if you guys wanna see him in action.

James Peril

He’s got the physique going for him, but at this rate I think he’s wildly overrated for his current ability. PSG? Would be even more stupid than Ødegaard going to Real Madrid, he would never play. PSG have players like Rabiot on the bench, whose better than Berge will ever be. I saw him for Genk against Sarpsborg in the Europa League the other day, just wasn’t involved or taking the game at all. Like all «great» Norwegian players, probably going to end his career in the Championship or in the Danish league

Funky Futurista

He’s got the physique going for him, but at this rate I think he’s wildly overrated for his current ability. PSG? Would be even more stupid than Ødegaard going to Real Madrid, he would never play. PSG have players like Rabiot on the bench, whose better than Berge will ever be. I saw him for Genk against Sarpsborg in the Europa League the other day, just wasn’t involved or taking the game at all. Like all «great» Norwegian players, probably going to end his career in the Championship or in the Danish league
PSG would be a bad idea, but I think he's more levelheaded than that. Good choice going to Genk and get a starting position there, and then his next step should be a midtable club in one of the 5 big leagues and see if he can force his way in there.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
More or less confirmed that he has played his final game for Genk. PL next? Been linked with both Spurs and Soton.

Fosu-Mens

More or less confirmed that he has played his final game for Genk. PL next? Been linked with both Spurs and Soton.
Should go to La Liga. Most likely going to improve his technical abilites more in that league.

Sevilla would be ideal, with a number of highly technical midfielders around him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hopefully Ole is aware of him

Dolf

Has the potential to become very good but I don’t think we will go for a player like him now that we have mctominay and Garner.

Eric's Seagull

Don't know much about him but seems decent from this video
https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/scout-report-arsenal-target-sander-berge
Former coach Alber Stuivenberg said in 2017 “I think Sander Berge has a huge future ahead of him but I do wonder if a move to the Premier League is a bit premature.

“Physically he is huge and his footballing IQ is miles ahead of his age. He picks the right pass, is a great stabilizer and dictates the midfield.

“He only just came to Belgium and even though he has impressed, I think he’d need a full season there for experience. [He has] huge potential, though.”

Supposedly linked with Roma and Genk also supposedly rejected a bid from Fiorentina last summer.

NYAS

Matic replacement please along with Ndidi and Neves/Tielemans.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Better than Matic already. Huge potential. Good at dribbling, tackling, crossing and passing. Intelligent. Has been good at the national team. Has potential to become a great box to box player. The only negative is that he has had a couple of injuries that has taken him out of play for 2-3 months two years in a row. Very professional and likeable lad. I think he would be a great investment for most teams and Ole 100% knows about him. However as another said, what are the plans for Mctom and Garner etc. I guess the price for him would be around 20 mill. euro. Genk rejected Fiorentinas 15 mill bid last year.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Better than Matic already. Huge potential. Good at dribbling, tackling, crossing and passing. Intelligent. Has been good at the national team. Has potential to become a great box to box player. The only negative is that he has had a couple of injuries that has taken him out of play for 2-3 months two years in a row. Very professional and likeable lad. I think he would be a great investment for most teams and Ole 100% knows about him. However as another said, what are the plans for Mctom and Garner etc. I guess the price for him would be around 20 mill. euro. Genk rejected Fiorentinas 15 mill bid last year.
He is a much better player than Mctom, and if we're going to play 3 CMs then we should invest as Garner could get plenty of minutes in Europa. Matic needs to go this summer

Red_toad

He is a much better player than Mctom, and if we're going to play 3 CMs then we should invest as Garner could get plenty of minutes in Europa. Matic needs to go this summer
Much better than Mctommy? Random statement, one plays in the best league, one plys his trade in Belgium. I’m amazed that if he’s much better, that no one has taken him to a much better club that Genk!
What do you base this on? I watch players in Aus and they may look decent in our league, but none of them would get near United’s starting 11, as the gulf in quality is vast. I doubt the leagues in Belgium and Norway are that much better if at all.

Lexxxzi

I love the fact that more norwegian players get attention in this forum now, this is obviously because of Solskjaer. Berge is certainly a good player. However, I am not sure he really has the level to play for Utd yet. Odegaard has though. He is already world class.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Much better than Mctommy? Random statement, one plays in the best league, one plys his trade in Belgium. I’m amazed that if he’s much better, that no one has taken him to a much better club that Genk!
What do you base this on? I watch players in Aus and they may look decent in our league, but none of them would get near United’s starting 11, as the gulf in quality is vast. I doubt the leagues in Belgium and Norway are that much better if at all.
Ndidi was playing in Belgium not that long ago.

Fosu-Mens

I love the fact that more norwegian players get attention in this forum now, this is obviously because of Solskjaer. Berge is certainly a good player. However, I am not sure he really has the level to play for Utd yet. Odegaard has though. He is already world class.
In a team that is dominant in possession, like City and Barca, M.Ø would be an asset. In a team not good at keeping the ball, struggling to press as a unit(like MUFC), then no. He would struggle, in the same way as Mata does.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol: Is he feck.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
In a team that is dominant in possession, like City and Barca, M.Ø would be an asset. In a team not good at keeping the ball, struggling to press as a unit(like MUFC), then no. He would struggle, in the same way as Mata does.
Mata’s best football came at Chelsea and I wouldn’t class them as a possession heavy side.