Sander Berge

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Much better than Mctommy? Random statement, one plays in the best league, one plys his trade in Belgium. I’m amazed that if he’s much better, that no one has taken him to a much better club that Genk!
What do you base this on?
I watch players in Aus and they may look decent in our league, but none of them would get near United’s starting 11, as the gulf in quality is vast. I doubt the leagues in Belgium and Norway are that much better if at all.
Its not a random statement, its an opinion, having watched them both, you are ok to form your own opinion also.

Well he is leaving now isn't he? The club also rejected plenty of bids for him last summer.

By your logic our scouts shouldn't bother to look for talent outside of the top 4 leagues because there is no way there could be talent there that was better. Quite a few players playing in the PL also came from that league by the way...

Lexxxzi

In a team not good at keeping the ball, struggling to press as a unit(like MUFC), then no.
There is simply no excuse for Utd not to have the most possession, by a good margin, against 90% of the teams in EPL. OGS will have to get this straight for next season, and then the players will be trained for his style, which focuses on dominating the game.

:lol: Is he feck.
Of course he is. If Zidane would actually give him the chance and Odegaard played regularly for Real, he would already have 20+ assists and quite a few goals a season.

Cassidy

His abilities are best suited to possessionbased football. Chelsea were not extremely heavy on possession, but IIRC they usually won the possessionstats and Mata played in the middle.
Ole has talked about us dominating possession and games more by the way.

Fosu-Mens

Ole has talked about us dominating possession and games more by the way.
With the average technical ability this squad seem to have, they will struggle if not given time and space.
Pogba, Mata, Lindelof and arguably Mata are the only players in the squad able to play possessionbased football at the highest level, rest of them needs to improve in various areas to play this kind of football.

Personally, i think OGS will try to emulate the progress Klopp has showcased with his side:
1. High press, fast paced and high intensity football.
2. Then become more able to keep the ball when needed.

Red_toad

Its not a random statement, its an opinion, having watched them both, you are ok to form your own opinion also.

Well he is leaving now isn't he? The club also rejected plenty of bids for him last summer.

By your logic our scouts shouldn't bother to look for talent outside of the top 4 leagues because there is no way there could be talent there that was better. Quite a few players playing in the PL also came from that league by the way...

Yeah mate that’s exactly what I said! :lol:
Simply asking how you formed your opinion. Other than you formed an opinion, you didn’t explain, so bias is the logical conclusion.

Cassidy

Yeah mate that’s exactly what I said! :lol:
Simply asking how you formed your opinion. Other than you formed an opinion, you didn’t explain, so bias is the logical conclusion.
I guess watching both players isnt how my opinion was formed

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
More or less confirmed that he has played his final game for Genk. PL next? Been linked with both Spurs and Soton.
Roma too, now. I think he’ll go to a side like that rather than a PL one.

If he does, I could easily see him doing similar to his fellow Genk alumni in Ndidi and being a serious option for teams above in a year or so.

Cassidy

After reading your opinion, my option has decided it doesn’t matter.
Try analyses, not just I’ve watched both and know better!
Again. Its fine that you decided that. I didn't say I know better, you asked how I formed my opinion, I said by watching both players. You didn't ask me to explain what differences I saw etc, I would have been happy to.
As of now though I don’t particularly care and also I am fine with you having a differing opinion.

Not sure why you get antsi you asked a question and it was answered, we have differing opinions, its allowed. Also if you wanted more detail you only had to ask

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wouldn't be a total risk, since this guy is considered one of the most promising U21 at Europe.

Red_toad

Again. Its fine that you decided that. I didn't say I know better, you asked how I formed my opinion, I said by watching both players. You didn't ask me to explain what differences I saw etc, I would have been happy to.
As of now though I don’t particularly care and also I am fine with you having a differing opinion.

Not sure why you get antsi you asked a question and it was answered, we have differing opinions, its allowed. Also if you wanted more detail you only had to ask
Once you form an opinion that A player is better than B player, even though B player plays for a far better team in a far better league. You are indeed expressing an I know better opinion. Otherwise he’d be at a United and playing ahead of McTommy!
Maybe he could be better, who knows. YouTube video makes him look like a Sunday league players who’s a decent player and a bit ahead of those around him. We got plenty of such players in the A league. Look good here but move to Europe and vanish.

Cassidy

Once you form an opinion that A player is better than B player, even though B player plays for a far better team in a far better league. You are indeed expressing an I know better opinion. Otherwise he’d be at a United and playing ahead of McTommy!
Maybe he could be better, who knows. YouTube video makes him look like a Sunday league players who’s a decent player and a bit ahead of those around him. We got plenty of such players in the A league. Look good here but move to Europe and vanish.
That is your opinion and I disagree, there is nothing I am saying which says I know better other than I have a different opinion and don't base my opinion of how good a player is by the team they play for and league that play in solely, especially if they are under the age of 22.

Because as we have seen plenty of times, clubs have signed players later from lower/lesser leagues to replace players they currently have, they do so because they believe they are better. Also plenty of players are not at United playing ahead of McTommy, does that mean they are not better? No it doesn't, the logic you are using to validate your opinion doesn't hold.

If Berge was 25+ I would be more inclined to say your assumption about having moved already could be correct, but he is 21 and one of the reasons he hasn't moved yet is because he is young and wanted to play regularly and develop. Him and his club have refused moves to better leagues already and it seems to have come to a point now where he has decided to leave and go to the next stage of his development.

Another example of someone of a similar trajectory was Tielemans, who only moved to Monaco from Anderlecht at the age of 21 also I believe.

Again there is nothing wrong with having differing opinions.

Similarly I believe Ibrahima Konate is a better CB than Phil Jones, Jones plays in a better league for a better team, but it is still my opinion Konate is better.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Van Dijk was at Celtic not that long ago. Mane was at Red Bull Salzburg.The club a player is currently at does not always reflect a player's true quality.

Red_toad

Van Dijk was at Celtic not that long ago. Mane was at Red Bull Salzburg.The club a player is currently at does not always reflect a player's true quality.
When people are banding about that he’s better than a player in a better team & league, yeah it kinda reflects. Proving yourself in a lesser league does not make you automatically better than a player in another league. There are far too many variables. Otherwise Jones would be a United legend and not a sick note. There are many players who fail in better leagues, it’s a lottery.

Cassidy

When people are banding about that he’s better than a player in a better team & league, yeah it kinda reflects. Proving yourself in a lesser league does not make you automatically better than a player in another league. There are far too many variables. Otherwise Jones would be a United legend and not a sick note. There are many players who fail in better leagues, it’s a lottery.
You have to also factor how the player got there also. I can name players better than Lingard also

Lexxxzi

Yeah, that's a leap, calling the lad world class :lol:
This must be irony. Sorry to break your bubble, but there really are world class players outside of the overrated EPL. Odegaard is definately one of them. Saying otherwise is ignorant and just reveals lack of understanding of football, really.

Fosu-Mens

This must be irony. Sorry to break your bubble, but there really are world class players outside of the overrated EPL. Odegaard is definately one of them. Saying otherwise is ignorant and just reveals lack of understanding of football, really.
His close control on the ball is world class, same could be said about his passing and set piece delivery. The rest needs to be judged on a higher level to give a verdict.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aaargh the good old you don’t agree with me, so you don’t understand football response. Gotcha.

Sorry mate, but there's no bubble you're bursting here. I mean, what does the EPL have to do with anything I said anyway? Paranoid much?

Fact is, it’s perfectly reasonable for me to want him to prove himself at the highest level, or for a more consistent period before I go brandishing the term “world class” around. You sound quite hurt & passive aggressive when somebody doesn’t agree with you. Best leave it at that then.

Last edited:

Red_toad

You have to also factor how the player got there also. I can name players better than Lingard also
Better in your opinion or better as they’re proven at a higher or equal level? Big difference.
No one can 100% say for certain any signing will prove to be better. Otherwise managers would never make a mistake when buying players. Too many variables as I’ve already said. If your opinion tells you you know 100%, then I’d suggest you go do coaching qualifications and get into football management.

Cassidy

Better in your opinion or better as they’re proven at a higher or equal level? Big difference.
No one can 100% say for certain any signing will prove to be better. Otherwise managers would never make a mistake when buying players. Too many variables as I’ve already said. If your opinion tells you you know 100%, then I’d suggest you go do coaching qualifications and get into football management.
Yes everything is opinion btw. Even if I say Mata is better than Lingard, its an opinion

Red_toad

Yes everything is opinion btw. Even if I say Mata is better than Lingard, its an opinion
Not really, Mata has proven able to perform at a level Jesse has never achieved. He was excellent for Chelsea for 2 seasons. He certainly proved who had the higher ceiling in talent.
It’s debatable saying who’s the better player right now, as both we’re underwhelming last season. Over the course of their career it’s very evident who was the better player.

Cassidy

Not really, Mata has proven able to perform at a level Jesse has never achieved. He was excellent for Chelsea for 2 seasons. He certainly proved who had the higher ceiling in talent.
It’s debatable saying who’s the better player right now, as both we’re underwhelming last season. Over the course of their career it’s very evident who was the better player.
Indeed its debatable, but one can have an opinion

SirAF

Ageist
I love the fact that more norwegian players get attention in this forum now, this is obviously because of Solskjaer. Berge is certainly a good player. However, I am not sure he really has the level to play for Utd yet. Odegaard has though. He is already world class.
:lol:

He’s developed very well but it is impossible to say he’s «world class» unless you are Norwegian and OVERLY patriotic.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol:

He’s developed very well but it is impossible to say he’s «world class» unless you are Norwegian and OVERLY patriotic.
Aye, I tried saying that but apparently I know nothing about/don’t understand football :drool:

Oh & the mighty EPL is overrated and there are world class players outside of the EPL! Who’d have thought!

*also not sure what relevance that point had with saying Odegaard shouldn’t be labeled world class (yet anyway).

GwilDor

Berge said today when interviewed in the studio of Viasats Champions League final buildup broadcast that he is quite likely to transfer away from Genk this summer. Not a surprise, but shows intention when he says it himself.
Lunks to Spurs, Sevilla, Roma. Elsewhere?

In Rainbows

Would be a good buy. Maybe he doesn't cut it at this level, but from the skill set he has shown, it's worth a try.

WelshManc

Great on FM19 for my Ajax side. Don't know much about him mind.

ATXRedDevil

Why haven’t we even been linked with this kid? He’s gonna be mint.

Exactly what we need.
After watching the video, I agree. That is exactly the type of player we need. Whether he’d cut it at this level, who knows. But he’s got the physical attributes to be a great fit in the prem. Shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. Surprised we’re not linked with Ole at the helm. If we could get this kid and Rabiot, our midfield could be sorted for incredibly cheap and he looks like he’d make a great long term compliment to Garner if they both panned out. Would also leave us plenty of money for RB, CB and another attacker to go with James this summer. Makes too much sense.

Fosu-Mens

After watching the video, I agree. That is exactly the type of player we need. Whether he’d cut it at this level, who knows. But he’s got the physical attributes to be a great fit in the prem. Shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. Surprised we’re not linked with Ole at the helm. If we could get this kid and Rabiot, our midfield could be sorted for incredibly cheap and he looks like he’d make a great long term compliment to Garner if they both panned out. Would also leave us plenty of money for RB, CB and another attacker to go with James this summer. Makes too much sense.
Main issue is his ability to handle the ball under pressure and time from receiving to finding the best receiver for a pass. Should go to Sevilla, and learn some ball handling from Banega and Sarabia. Would do him wonders.

Lexxxzi

Watch him today against Romania, if he gets to start. He'll dominate that game.

Aloysius's Back 3

Whilst watching YouTube the lad seems like a more finessed Fellaini sometimes.

Either way - is his passing any good? I don't really see anything from it that made me think of Carrick or anyone even a bit worse than him.

Though im honest and I'm only judging from YouTube.

Lexxxzi

Whilst watching YouTube the lad seems like a more finessed Fellaini sometimes.

Either way - is his passing any good? I don't really see anything from it that made me think of Carrick or anyone even a bit worse than him.

Though im honest and I'm only judging from YouTube.
He has very good long passing accuracy. I don't know about his flair abilities, but that's not exactly the kind of player he is, anyway. There is a "Skills & Defence" video that show a little more.