Sandro Tonali | Signs for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

He may not be the best available but certainly better than our current options

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He could've joined Paris this summer if his president president didn't refuse to sell. Maybe next year?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He's Italian. Pirlo was Italian. Good enough for me. Watching youtube clips seems like overkill. Let's do this.

Andersons Dietician

He's Italian. Pirlo was Italian. Good enough for me. Watching youtube clips seems like overkill. Let's do this.
I was reading the other day something from the guy who spotted Pirlo and he made the comparison that Tonoli was more like DeRossi. Which given my limited viewings of him seems a lot more realistic than Pirlo. Good passer, leader, won’t shirk from sticking the boot in. What’s not to like.

kbbear

Sander Berge could be a good alternative as a deep lying defensive play maker. Hard to brush off the ball too and would probably be a lot cheaper.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd say get him. He won't cost a bomb (his contract expires next year) he's talented and he shouldn't be asking for ridiculous salaries either.

devilish

I was reading the other day something from the guy who spotted Pirlo and he made the comparison that Tonoli was more like DeRossi. Which given my limited viewings of him seems a lot more realistic than Pirlo. Good passer, leader, won’t shirk from sticking the boot in. What’s not to like.
He considers himself as a Gattuso with technique

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We simply couldn’t afford him (I mean to buy him in affordable price), he will be the next big thing in Italy, and would cost a lot which I am not sure our club would think it’s worthwhile to pursue.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We simply couldn’t afford him (I mean to buy him in affordable price), he will be the next big thing in Italy, and would cost a lot which I am not sure our club would think it’s worthwhile to pursue.
His contract expires next season which should drive the price down.

Hawks2008

Longstaff is a better option he gets the club, Tonali is Italian and could never have United DNA.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fabrizio Romano is reporting that Juve have been doing the ground work to acquire Tonali for the last 5 months and want to wrap up the deal quickly due to the competition.

Ekeke

I'd say get him. He won't cost a bomb (his contract expires next year) he's talented and he shouldn't be asking for ridiculous salaries either.
Pretty sure if we wanted to beat all the Italian teams who want him he would cost a lot

DoomSlayer

This is the sort of players we need to be after and be efficient to get the job done. If we leave it to the summer, he'd probably be gone to Juventus or cost a bomb, either way we are screwed again.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Longstaff is a better option he gets the club, Tonali is Italian and could never have United DNA.
Did Gianfranco Zola not have Chelsea DNA?

Di Canio not have West Ham DNA?

Odd comment, especially when the only 'DNA' Longstaff would have would be Newcastle.

Dante

Average bang
Did Gianfranco Zola not have Chelsea DNA?

Di Canio not have West Ham DNA?

Odd comment, especially when the only 'DNA' Longstaff would have would be Newcastle.
He's being sarcastic. He's as anti-English as they get.

The only people who ask the questions you're asking (and expect the answer 'no') are the ones living in your own echo-chamber.

devilish

Pretty sure if we wanted to beat all the Italian teams who want him he would cost a lot
Nah. Juve are well stocked in CM and they are the only ones who can go toe to toe with us regarding money. Inter aren't big fans of kids and we should be able to outbid Rome & Napoli

Ekeke

Nah. Juve are well stocked in CM and they are the only ones who can go toe to toe with us regarding money. Inter aren't big fans of kids and we should be able to outbid Rome & Napoli
Inter signed Lautaro Martinez, Kovacic and Gabriel Barbosa so I'm not sure thats true. They do sometimes sign a young player.

Juventus can easily make room for him and build for the future. Khedira and Matuidi are over 30, Ramsey they took for free so they could make money on selling him on and Can barely gets a game so they can get rid of him too. Pjanic at 29, Bentancur at 22, Rabiot if they decide he has a future there when he's played so little at 24 and then Tonali would be 4 players for a team that plays 3 CMs and an AM each match.

And the point is not that Juventus, Inter or Napoli will offer more than us. Its that they'd offer enough that we'd have to pay a significant fee for a player who is considered the next big thing in Italy. They obviously dont want to see him going for cheap to a foreign club so they'd make sure they can throw their hat in even if it means making space for him by getting rid of other good players

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It’s kid’s choice to go abroad at such young age... some try and do very well (verratti), many more stagnate or fail.

Dante

Average bang
How boring are these "jokes"
They're very boring.

But the same people tell them to each other the same sarcastic jokes until the entire group believe that outsiders must be saying the same things in seriousness.

It happened in front of our eyes only a few posts up. And now there's a new person on the Caf who's joined the conspiracy theory.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It took Jorginho a year to settle, Moise Kean has yet to settle. A 19 year old Italian kid coming to England is a big risk

Classical Mechanic

It took Jorginho a year to settle, Moise Kean has yet to settle. A 19 year old Italian kid coming to England is a big risk
I think a lot of people became prejudice against Jorginho because they were incredulous that he was playing at the base of midfield instead of Kante. They didn't understand how Sarri's system works.

devilish

Inter signed Lautaro Martinez, Kovacic and Gabriel Barbosa so I'm not sure thats true. They do sometimes sign a young player.

Juventus can easily make room for him and build for the future. Khedira and Matuidi are over 30, Ramsey they took for free so they could make money on selling him on and Can barely gets a game so they can get rid of him too. Pjanic at 29, Bentancur at 22, Rabiot if they decide he has a future there when he's played so little at 24 and then Tonali would be 4 players for a team that plays 3 CMs and an AM each match.

And the point is not that Juventus, Inter or Napoli will offer more than us. Its that they'd offer enough that we'd have to pay a significant fee for a player who is considered the next big thing in Italy. They obviously dont want to see him going for cheap to a foreign club so they'd make sure they can throw their hat in even if it means making space for him by getting rid of other good players
Lautaro, Kovacic and Gabigol were foreign talent. The yardstick for local talent is different. EPL clubs tend to hype local talent with fees for kids going to the ridiculous. Italian clubs take a very different approach. Kids are expected to jump all the hoops and prove themselves before they actually get a big signing deal. That explains why the extremely talented Zaniolo was involved in a swap deal for Nainggolan, why Verratti found himself at PSG instead of Juventus, why Kean ended up at Everton with zero regret from Juve whatsoever and why no one had bothered buying Berardi from Sassuolo despite his many goals and despite he was partly owned by Juventus at one time.

My only worry is if Tonali has already agreed a behind the scenes deal with Juventus. They do love to do those (Ramsay, Pogba with us etc). If Tonali hasn't yet done that then I believe we can outspend the rivals quite easily just as

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.