Santi Cazorla - nearly lost his leg!

Zlatattack

I just came across this on the BBC about his injury - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41857095

Arsenal's Santi Cazorla says doctors told him he should be "satisfied" just to walk again after he contracted gangrene following an operation.

The 32-year-old Spain international last played in October 2016 and had ankle surgery two months later.

Despite eight operations, the wound did not heal and became infected.

Midfielder Cazorla told Marca the infection had "eaten" the Achilles tendon on his right leg, adding: "There was eight centimetres of it missing."

Despite several successful antibiotic treatments, there were fears the former Villarreal and Malaga player could lose his leg because of a blood infection.

His last operation was a reconstruction of the Achilles tendon on 29 May, with doctors grafting skin from his left arm - featuring a tattoo - to his right ankle.

Cazorla has since been on an intense rehabilitation programme and says he expects to be playing again in the new year.
I'm glad he's okay. I like him as a footballer, but more importantly I'm glad another human being is doing okay. I know a young man who lost his leg below the knee to a blood infection - it's tragic.

FireballXL5

It'd be a miracle if he can play any sort of football after that. Cracking player when he was on song.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Wow. Very serious. People with diabetes have to watch out for the same thing.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I had no idea about this situation with Cazorla....Horrific..!!!

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
That is a horrible injury.

He used to be a cracking player, one of the most ambidextrous players I've ever seen.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Late on-song DLP Cazorla was a pleasure to see. Been so tough to watch Arsenal without him.

arthurka

Good to see he's on the way to some fitness. Always liked him as a player.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
It seems surprising that someone who has access to top notch doctors can have a complication like this. Is this a rare occurrence?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Poor guy. He's fecked. Be shocked if ever plays PL football again if he lost such a big chunk of his achilles tendon. A reasonable goal for him would be to walk unaided.
I read earlier that Wenger is expecting him back trainin next month with the aim of playing in January. Was surprised to hear that but remains to be seen i guess.

Hope he does get back. One of the more likeable players in the league

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It seems surprising that someone who has access to top notch doctors can have a complication like this. Is this a rare occurrence?
Post-op infections can happen to anyone. The very best surgeons can have slightly lower rates than inexperienced hacks in smaller, regional hospitals but nobody is able to get the rate down to zero. The risk is explained in the smallprint in the consent form you sign if you ever have an operation. Pure bad luck for Santi.

King.of.Red

I tried googling gangrene and the pictures are quite scary. glad he is okay and can continue to play football.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Arsenal could desperately do with him back in place of the awful Xhaka, however it goes without saying the most important thing is his health.

I'm amazed that they're expecting him back in training to be honest, guess we'll just have to wait and see what he's got left at PL level.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He picked up an infection at the hospital. They had to graft skin from his arm onto his ankle to patch it up. Losing 8cm of a tendon is bad enough but losing 8cm of your achilles must be pretty harrowing for anyone, never mind an international footballer.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Post-op infections can happen to anyone. The very best surgeons can have slightly lower rates than inexperienced hacks in smaller, regional hospitals but nobody is able to get the rate down to zero. The risk is explained in the smallprint in the consent form you sign if you ever have an operation. Pure bad luck for Santi.
That's really unfortunate, hope everything works out for him.

ZAGREB RED

I am sitting typing this a week on after an operation and having had to go to my GP for antibiotics yesterday after an infection,so Cazorla's story is a real eye opener, to say the least, the fact that he is talking about playing in the new year is good to hear, losing 8CM of your achilles to gangrene sounds horrendous, never mind the reality of it.
All the best to him for his recovery and future career - and beyond that in his life after football also.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I was shocked when i read this, but then it explains why he has yet to come back :(. I would be really surprised if he did.

AndyJ1985

I did wonder what had happened to him. Thought he was one of Arsenal's best players at one point. Had no idea he was out with such a serious injury.

scwhd

Gdamn no wonder hes been absent. Imo, Arsenal has been sucking in their tiki-taka since he left.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Piece of skin from his arm where he had his daughter's name tattooed.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Super player and Arsenal have missed him badly. It's sad to see a good footballer lose so much of his career to something like.

United_We_Stand

He said his wound became infected in surgery, then his bone became infected too.

This sounds like a pre-antibiotic era world war I story!

Varun

Staff
Has had another operation apparently due to some complications. He's still taking of returning to football which is just amazing mentality. Really wish he has a full and speedy recovery.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Hope he does make a return to football, really fun player to watch.

SteveTheRed

Bloody hell, haven't been following his injury but had no idea it was that bad. Never seen a skin graft like that either, keeping the tattoo.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I assumed he must had something serious to be out this long but I had no idea how bad it's been for him. I hope he gets back on his feet and out onto the pitch soon.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
The controller of our midfield. We are a completely different team with him. Ozil's influence markedly increases when Cazorla plays as well.