Sao Paulo Midfielder Daniel Correa murdered and mutilated in Brazil.

Rojofiam

No offense but Brazil really is a shithole. Most incidents of this type reported by the news come from there.

Siorac

Bolsonaro to help?

Apparently, there were 60,000+ murders in Brazil last year. Jesus.
And they still don't make the top 10 in murders per capita.

In absolute numbers they are well on top though, ahead of India by about 20,000.

fergieisold

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surprisingly Brazil, although bad is only 12th on the list of homicide rates. El Salvador is more than double as bad as Brazil. Interestingly some popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean are high on the list above Brazil, for example Jamaica!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
The top 4 in absolute numbers (Brazil, India, Mexico and South Africa) are fairly popular holiday destinations too to be fair.

People love going to where the murders are clearly.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Incidents of what type?
I think kidnapping is very common when it comes to Brazilian footballers and their families. Maybe a myth though, I don’t have the numbers, just the impression that Brazil often features in those horrible football-related news.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
I have a few guys from Brazil in the team, and they are pretty vocal on safety issues. Kidnapping kids is rather common, and one of those guys almost became a victim when he was leaving school once. The guys saw he has nothing valuable on him and let him go.

The other guy told his neighbour is getting death threats, and a bunch of gangstaz come to his house at night, shooting in the air and drop explosives into his garden because his neighbour's ex is now hooking up with some gang boss, and wants part of his property she didn't get from divorce. The police does not want to intervent, and it's rather usual for police to do nothing in those cases.

The guys also told that if you're travelling by car you should avoid country roads in most areas by all means, cause best case you will end up w/o a car.

Janson

I think these places with high murder rates are pretty safe for tourists though. There is no reason for them to ruin their source of income.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They really do treat Football like life and death in SA I'm afraid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have a few guys from Brazil in the team, and they are pretty vocal on safety issues. Kidnapping kids is rather common, and one of those guys almost became a victim when he was leaving school once. The guys saw he has nothing valuable on him and let him go.

The other guy told his neighbour is getting death threats, and a bunch of gangstaz come to his house at night, shooting in the air and drop explosives into his garden because his neighbour's ex is now hooking up with some gang boss, and wants part of his property she didn't get from divorce. The police does not want to intervent, and it's rather usual for police to do nothing in those cases.

The guys also told that if you're travelling by car you should avoid country roads in most areas by all means, cause best case you will end up w/o a car.
Jeez! Nigeria isn't even that lawless.
They really do treat Football like life and death in SA I'm afraid.
Think it's likely it's not football related. Or if it is, probably betting/gambling related .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think these places with high murder rates are pretty safe for tourists though. There is no reason for them to ruin their source of income.
Think it's more to do with location. Tourists will go to areas considered safe.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Brazil's a rich country isn't it? Hard to believe they're still having these kind of problems, they could fund a better police force than the United Kingdom.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The top 4 in absolute numbers (Brazil, India, Mexico and South Africa) are fairly popular holiday destinations too to be fair.

People love going to where the murders are clearly.
People do say "I'd kill for a holiday"...

Mike Smalling

Brazil's a rich country isn't it? Hard to believe they're still having these kind of problems, they could fund a better police force than the United Kingdom.
Not sure if serious. Brazil ranks 110th worldwide in GDP pr. capita in PPP terms, behind the likes of Iraq, Botswana and Azerbaijan. I am actually in Brazil right now for work, and the divide between rich and poor here is quite staggering. Some of the areas in Sao Paulo look absolutely horrible, and we are consistently warned to stay out of certain places because of crime.

Reactions: Fortitude

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool

Le Red

A group lynching, mutilating, decapitating a person, etc. Might just be a stereotype, though.
Not really. Criminality in Brazil stands out for being extremely violent for no apparent reasons. Robbers often kill, rape, and even set their victims on fire only for the sake of it. Body drawing is optional.
Not surprisingly, the only candidate who wants to refurbish our extremely lenient penal system won the elections.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Not really. Criminality in Brazil stands out for being extremely violent for no apparent reasons. Robbers often kill, rape, and even set their victims on fire only for the sake of it. Body drawing is optional.
Not surprisingly, the only candidate who wants to refurbish our extremely lenient penal system won the elections.
What's it like living in Brazil with all this violence? Do you feel scared day to day or do you just hear about it on the news but doesn't really infringe on your day to day?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Not sure if serious. Brazil ranks 110th worldwide in GDP pr. capita in PPP terms, behind the likes of Iraq, Botswana and Azerbaijan. I am actually in Brazil right now for work, and the divide between rich and poor here is quite staggering. Some of the areas in Sao Paulo look absolutely horrible, and we are consistently warned to stay out of certain places because of crime.
You can't really rank it per capita though can you? My family will have a higher GDP per capita than the USA but I doubt I could fund the technology to police the rest of them as effectively as the USA can its citizens.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It varies and more than some intelligent motive from the criminal it's down to how policing addresses it. You mug a guy in a favela and nothing will happen, the police don't even go there, while in Zona Sul of Rio (where tourists go) they may well get shot down for not complying with a "Halt!" after doing it. I once saw a guy get shot by police right in front of me.

I go to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras regularly and there's nowhere safe. You are having a quick cig outside an expensive hotel in the city centre and some randomer gets off his car with a machete and starts hitting the car ahead for a minor traffic incident. Stuff like that is the norm. I have ruled out going to the north of Mexico a long time ago, but the central area and most popular tourist destinations are absolutely fine.

Le Red

What's it like living in Brazil with all this violence? Do you feel scared day to day or do you just hear about it on the news but doesn't really infringe on your day to day?
Almost everyone feels scared, or at least unsafe. Even little towns that used to be tranquil and peaceful have been suffering with murders, armed robbery and drug trafic.
It's really a major reason why Jair Bolsonaro was elected. He promises to fight crime with an iron hand, by increasing police force and revoking the disarmament law.

Out of curiosity, read that as you may, since I'm not here to advocate my political views: the disarmament statute has been in force in Brazil since 2003. Back then, there was a referend in which the people voted against disarming the population, but the Lula government disrespected the will of the people and went ahead with it anyway.

The Purley King

Tourists getting murdered maybe not that many, but there are a huge amount of robberies at gun/knife point. I spent a fair amount of time in Rio in 2002 (appreciate things may have changed in the meantime) and when I went out I never wore a watch, never carried a credit card or phone, just took enough cash for that day/evening. Worst that could happen is that I lose the money I have with me, presuming no physical violence.
I was robbed at gunpoint whilst I was there and out of the gringo friends I had almost all of them had been robbed at some point, quite a few more than once. Tbh I wasn't careful in terms of sticking to safe places, not staying out til 4 in the morning etc, so was pretty much expecting something to happen, hence the precautions.

Mike Smalling

You can't really rank it per capita though can you? My family will have a higher GDP per capita than the USA but I doubt I could fund the technology to police the rest of them as effectively as the USA can its citizens.
Well yes, in total dollar terms Brazil could possibly have a larger budget for a police force than e.g. the UK, but they also have a considerable larger country and population to police, which is why it makes sense to use pr. capita measures.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Almost everyone feels scared, or at least unsafe. Even little towns that used to be tranquil and peaceful have been suffering with murders, armed robbery and drug trafic.
It's really a major reason why Jair Bolsonaro was elected. He promises to fight crime with an iron hand, by increasing police force and revoking the disarmament law.

Out of curiosity, read that as you may, since I'm not here to advocate my political views: the disarmament statute has been in force in Brazil since 2003. Back then, there was a referend in which the people voted against disarming the population, but the Lula government disrespected the will of the people and went ahead with it anyway.
Sounds familiar.

We've had similar stuff here with Mujica deciding he would shit on two referendum's that both upheld the wholesale amnesty to both military and guerrillas from the 60s/70s, and started prosecuting his former foes. His old lackeys' crimes (regardless of whether the victims were military or civilian, as most were) prescribed as far as he is concerned, but those of the military don't.

It was voted back in the mid-80s, referendum in 89, then in 2009 they thought maybe they could get a different result and tried again, didn't, so shat on it.

JSArsenal

Sorry to take this more off topic, but why is there so much crime in Brazil?

I think just increasing the police force and coming down more harshly on criminals won't really solve the underlying problems of why crime is so bad, to begin with. Apparently, Mexico brought in the army to help police fight the war on drugs but that hasn't made things any better.

Is it due to the economic situation of the country?

Increasing the powers of police, might help with crime but there also needs to be care taken to ensure that the police don't abuse any new powers. After all, they were people before they put on the uniform.

Le Red

Now that they have Hitler Jr as president, will the murder rates rise or decline?
Your comment is so cute. Is all your knowledge of the world based on The Guardian and The New York Times?
Nice to know you think more than half of Brazilians are neo-nazis.
If upholding law and order amounts to being Hitler, might as well call me that too.

Seven Seas Sardines

Inappropriate content
Your comment is so cute. Is all your knowledge of the world based on The Guardian and The New York Times?
Nice to know you think more than half of Brazilians are neo-nazis.
If upholding law and order amounts to being Hitler, might as well call me that too.
Newbie system should be revamped so the mini-Hitlers stop popping up around here. I'd let you know that I have around 200 Brazilian friends, and I'm living with two. They all dread what is going to happen with a racist and homophobe in charge, care to tell me where you've acquired more info than all of them put together(except for the rags you seem to follow)?

Le Red

Newbie system should be revamped so the mini-Hitlers stop popping up around here. I'd let you know that I have around 200 Brazilian friends, and I'm living with two. They all dread what is going to happen with a racist and homophobe in charge, care to tell me where you've acquired more info than all of them put together(except for the rags you seem to follow)?
I think 58 million voters speak more than the troupe of mini-Stalins you hang out with.
30% of homossexuals declared they would vote for him.
Millions of people of color voted for him.
His black longlife friend had the biggest votation among all congressists.
You know nothing. There's a whole world not depicted in your red pamphlets.