Sao Paulo Midfielder Daniel Correa murdered and mutilated in Brazil.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Well yes, in total dollar terms Brazil could possibly have a larger budget for a police force than e.g. the UK, but they also have a considerable larger country and population to police, which is why it makes sense to use pr. capita measures.
They couldn't .. Brazil had a growing economy, but it's still nowhere near as rich as the U.K, which remains one of the worlds largest and most developed economies.

Even if they could have an overall larger budget, like you say they'd need far more policemen (due to the size/population of the country) and they have far deeper issues with crime which would be much more complicated to tackle than just having a large police force.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It varies and more than some intelligent motive from the criminal it's down to how policing addresses it. You mug a guy in a favela and nothing will happen, the police don't even go there, while in Zona Sul of Rio (where tourists go) they may well get shot down for not complying with a "Halt!" after doing it. I once saw a guy get shot by police right in front of me.

I go to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras regularly and there's nowhere safe. You are having a quick cig outside an expensive hotel in the city centre and some randomer gets off his car with a machete and starts hitting the car ahead for a minor traffic incident. Stuff like that is the norm. I have ruled out going to the north of Mexico a long time ago, but the central area and most popular tourist destinations are absolutely fine.
:eek: Out of curiosity, from Central America based in your experience, which country do you think is in the worst situation?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You can't really rank it per capita though can you? My family will have a higher GDP per capita than the USA but I doubt I could fund the technology to police the rest of them as effectively as the USA can its citizens.
The UK has a significantly higher GDP than Brazil as well, whilst being much smaller and easier to police.

Seven Seas Sardines

I think 58 million voters speak more than the troupe of mini-Stalins you hang out with.
30% of homossexuals declared they would vote for him.
Millions of people of color voted for him.
His black longlife friend had the biggest votation among all congressists.
You know nothing. There's a whole world not depicted in your red pamphlets.
Haven't seen those red pamphlets of yours while travelling 51 countries around the 'whole' world during the last 11 years, oh mighty fascist know-it-all.

AndersB

I don't often say this - in fact, don't think I ever have - but some of the comments here are totally inconsiderate or even childish. Christ, a man was killed brutally.

Varun

Staff
Guys, cut out the Mini Hitler, mini Stalin nonsense. Stay civil please.

Le Red

Guys, cut out the Mini Hitler, mini Stalin nonsense. Stay civil please.
I for one apologize for that, but it's hard to not let off the steam sometimes.
It's not enough to be called fascist, sexist, racist, homophobic in the usual places, it's frustrating having to cope with that kind of bullshit in the forum of my football team.

Le Red

Sorry to take this more off topic, but why is there so much crime in Brazil?

I think just increasing the police force and coming down more harshly on criminals won't really solve the underlying problems of why crime is so bad, to begin with. Apparently, Mexico brought in the army to help police fight the war on drugs but that hasn't made things any better.

Is it due to the economic situation of the country?

Increasing the powers of police, might help with crime but there also needs to be care taken to ensure that the police don't abuse any new powers. After all, they were people before they put on the uniform.
Hey there. The crime phenomenon in Brazil is very complex and there are a whole lot of causes, poverty is only one factor and it's far from explaining it all.
Increasing the power of police isn't going to solve it all but it's needed, as is fighting against police corruption.
The whole jail system needs reestructuration as well. Jails here are known for being "crime universities" and the people inside actually issue orders to those outside.
Anyway, this is a discussion that is long reaching and better suited for a different thread... What I have to say for now is that the future President and Congress are likely to go for a Rudolph Giuliani approach. That's what the majority of the population wants and we expect good results from it.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:eek: Out of curiosity, from Central America based in your experience, which country do you think is in the worst situation?
It's a tough one. Rule out Nicaragua since they are going through a particularly rough patch.

El Salvador is probably the worst overall, although I feel pretty safe in the capital, you regularly hear about people's heads being left next to their doorway, dismembered bodies in suitcases and whatnot. They don't give two shits about human life really.

Honduras I've had to jump off street cabs twice and up north it's absolute wilderness, but it's more outright conventional violence than the sort of savagery above.

Guatemala appears to be the least inhuman, but as far as muggings are concerned nowhere is safe. I once had a cab leaving me two blocks away from my destination in the city centre and it was like vultures circling you in no time looking for the window of opportunity. Spent the entire two blocks locking eyes with various people... you know... "I know you are there, don't try anything stupid" kind of bluff while bricking it for all the stuff in my laptop all along.

antohan

Brazil is wild - has anyone seen that movie City of God?
I've been in the City of God, with an AK47 pointing at me while trying to talk a drug baron into not shooting our medical staff regardless of who they were fixing up. It was their job.

The film is absolutely spot on, with stable leadership they got on with their drugs business and it was all relatively peaceful if people mind their own business. The crisis point was always when a leader was removed. That's part of the issue with better policing, every time they jailed the head of a favela you would go "oh feck, here we go again".

MiceOnMeth

Anybody who frequents r/watchpeopledie will not be surprised at all by this

antohan

Hey there. The crime phenomenon in Brazil is very complex and there are a whole lot of causes, poverty is only one factor and it's far from explaining it all.
Increasing the power of police isn't going to solve it all but it's needed, as is fighting against police corruption.
The whole jail system needs reestructuration as well. Jails here are known for being "crime universities" and the people inside actually issue orders to those outside.
Anyway, this is a discussion that is long reaching and better suited for a different thread... What I have to say for now is that the future President and Congress are likely to go for a Rudolph Giuliani approach. That's what the majority of the population wants and we expect good results from it.
I empathise and had a similar exchange to the ones you are having here in the elections thread in the general (with less name calling).

It's a slippery slope though, when those charged with law & order start acting with impunity (and they usually do) that's the end of law & order and you have nowhere to run / resort to.

The sight of the army parading with people out in the streets celebrating as if they were the NT after winning the World Cup is very worrying. You have polarised waaaaay too much and it's bound to get out of hand.

antohan

On a separate note, in the Peruvian Major elections in some god forgotten place the two candidates were called Hitler and Lenin respectively. The Hitler billboards said "Vote Hitler - I'm the good Hitler"

No shit, I'm serious.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Is Brazil more dangerous or Russia? I've been to the two World Cups in both Brazil and Russia, and not once did I feel I was in danger even when I was out walking alone in the street at night. The locals in Brazil were extremely kind, friendly and happy-go-lucky, it's so surprising to hear how dangerous Brazil is when Brazilians are always stereotyped with the whole samba, despacito culture where people are known to be easy-going, happy-go-lucky and friendly.

I've been in the City of God, with an AK47 pointing at me while trying to talk a drug baron into not shooting our medical staff regardless of who they were fixing up. It was their job.

The film is absolutely spot on, with stable leadership they got on with their drugs business and it was all relatively peaceful if people mind their own business. The crisis point was always when a leader was removed. That's part of the issue with better policing, every time they jailed the head of a favela you would go "oh feck, here we go again".
Awe wow that sounds scary :(- was it your first time in brazil?

meamth

So what will happen to this case? It will be buried and long forgotten? No justice for his life? So many questions lingering.

meamth

Anybody who frequents r/watchpeopledie will not be surprised at all by this
I guess you have that knowledge, you may hang around in there for a bit?

Is Brazil more dangerous or Russia? I've been to the two World Cups in both Brazil and Russia, and not once did I feel I was in danger even when I was out walking alone in the street at night. The locals in Brazil were extremely kind, friendly and happy-go-lucky, it's so surprising to hear how dangerous Brazil is when Brazilians are always stereotyped with the whole samba, despacito culture where people are known to be easy-going, happy-go-lucky and friendly.
Maybe because Football truly unites the whole nation in Brazil. During that time maybe the killing stopped or slowed down, because it's party time for the whole nation.

RoyH1

The crime/violence problem in Brazil and the rest of Latin America is pretty similar and unfortunately, very hard to fix.

Decades of poverty and massive inequality (the gap between rich and poor in Brazil and Mexico is immense) combined with incredible levels of corruption, substandard policing, an onerous and defective legal bureaucracy have left some of the most violent and unequal societies on earth.

I have family in Mexico City and visit it often, and have never felt more unsafe than I would in another major metropolitan area in lets say the US. But one knows that just an hours travel in any direction and the situation could be completely different. There's just a complete different level of policing in some places compared to others. I suppose it's the same in Brazil.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So, apparently the main culprit's defence is that the victim(player) tried to rape his daughter and he reacted to protect her and lost control of himself

the_irish123

Brazil is a very nice place to go specially for the human value and how easy it is to make friends.

Nice to read your comment, since the other comments make it seem like you will get decapitated or a jaguar will eat you once you leave the airport.

the_irish123

Brazil is a country I’ve always wanted to visit but shit like this makes you reconsider. I’m guessing there are safe parts though ?
Do go. The homicide rates are high, but like in a lot of countries they happen in the outskirts where tourists don't come close to setting foot, and are gang related.

If you stay in Rio for example, in the zone where most people stay, the crime rates are similar to any large city. You can get mugged, but its not like its super wild out there.

Olril18

Not sure if serious. Brazil ranks 110th worldwide in GDP pr. capita in PPP terms, behind the likes of Iraq, Botswana and Azerbaijan. I am actually in Brazil right now for work, and the divide between rich and poor here is quite staggering. Some of the areas in Sao Paulo look absolutely horrible, and we are consistently warned to stay out of certain places because of crime.
Nigeria must be a paradise compared to Brazil then.