Sarkozy has been arrested

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Illegal receipt of election donations.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good that he's not somehow immune though - restores one's faith a little.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I thought it was because he ruined Libya

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is just in custody, for allegedly illegally taking Libyan money in order to finance his 2007 campaign.

JPRouve

Scout
11 years later? No statute of limitation? Money from a dead man.
The investigation started in 2012, his associates have already been in custody multiple times and I'm pretty sure that he did too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The investigation started in 2012, his associates have already been in custody multiple times and I'm pretty sure that he did too.
Initiated under Hollande? If so, its slippery slope to go after the digressions of former presidents.

JPRouve

Scout
Initiated under Hollande? If so, its slippery slope to go after the digressions of former presidents.
It had nothing to do with Hollande. It's a complicated story that starts around 2005-06, the justice investigated strange money movements around Sarkozy from 2006 to 2011, the main targets were Guéant and Takiedine. The later in 2011, has been caught smuggling 1.5m€ from Libya, in 2012 he told to a judge that he had proof of dubious links between Sarkozy and Libya since he was the intermediary, from that point the justice has been focused on Sarkozy.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It had nothing to do with Hollande. It's a complicated story that starts around 2005-06, the justice investigated strange money movements around Sarkozy from 2006 to 2011, the main targets were Guéant and Takiedine. The later in 2011, has been caught smuggling 1.5m€ from Libya, in 2012 he told to a judge that he had proof of dubious links between Sarkozy and Libya since he was the intermediary, from that point the justice has been focused on Sarkozy.
Sounds like the makings of a good movie.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Sarkozy: Former French president sentenced to jail for corruption

French ex-President Nicolas Sarkozy has been sentenced to three years in jail, two of them suspended, for corruption.

"The 66-year-old was found guilty of trying to bribe a magistrate by offering him a prestigious job in return for information about a separate criminal case against Sarkozy.

He is the first former French president to receive a custodial sentence.

In the ruling, the judge in Paris said Sarkozy could serve a year at home with an electronic tag, rather than go to prison."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56237818

*Original discussion in this thread relates to this if I'm not mistaken:

"Sarkozy is also due to go on trial in a separate case, from 17 March to 15 April, which relates to the so-called Bygmalion affair. Sarkozy is accused of having fraudulently overspent in his 2012 presidential campaign. He had served as president since 2007 - but his 2012 re-election bid was unsuccessful."

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wish the UK cared half as much as the french do about holding their politicians to account.

JPRouve

Scout
I wish the UK cared half as much as the french do about holding their politicians to account.
Sarkozy was done the minute he wasn't president. French judges and prosecutors hate him, rightfully, they are after him for election fraud and also regarding the Qatar world cup. For example something that people maybe missed, when Platini was auditioned, the PNF wasn't after him but Sarkozy.

Smores

Our lot will be of the opinion that the only thing he's done wrong is get caught. Moggs will be having a right laugh about it.

Corruption obviously deserves punishment but it's still nothing compared to illegal wars. I reckon most care more about corruption though.