SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I didnt know it was that low - thought it was more like 50% with 75%
I was of the understanding that herd immunity is different for different diseases because of the infection rates etc. Also was of the understanding that herd immunity for coronavirus was up around 60% approximately. Hadnt heard it was as low as 30%.
You've misunderstood me here. Even if just 30% of people are immune, that will have a large effect as it becomes much more difficult for the virus to spread to new hosts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which always makes me think how insanely contagious measles is. Infection or vaccine gives complete life long immunity and there are no animal hosts, yet we still can’t maintain herd immunity after vaccination programs lasting decades.
Yeah, in the case of measles if I'm not mistaken herd immunity could be reach if at least +95% of the population was seroprotected because if I remember correctly each carrier infects at least one dozen of people and in some cases it's more than twice that figure.

Wolverine

I actually think that’s quite likely. Everyone I’ve heard/read who is an expert on Coronaviruses seems to think making a very effective, long-lasting virus is extremely difficult. All you need to do is look at what happens when you stimulate your immune system naturally.
Online a couple of the vets have been saying they've found animal coronavirus vaccines quite efficacious and it was mentioned in a Telegraph article here too. Of course it probably is a whole different kettle of fish but bovine coronavirus for which there is apparently an effective vaccine against has a 95% similarity to the human coronavirus OC43 which is one of the common cold causing strains

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...ht-play-crucial-role-developing-sought-after/
https://www.zoetisus.com/products/beef/scourguard-4k.aspx

My colleagues says they draw the line at me discussing animal medicine so I haven't looked too much into the above in-depth mind you

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Online a couple of the vets have been saying they've found animal coronavirus vaccines quite efficacious and it was mentioned in a Telegraph article here too. Of course it probably is a whole different kettle of fish but bovine coronavirus for which there is apparently an effective vaccine against has a 95% similarity to the human coronavirus OC43 which is one of the common cold causing strains

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...ht-play-crucial-role-developing-sought-after/

My colleagues says they draw the line at me discussing animal medicine so I haven't looked too much into the above in-depth mind you
I heard with animals that the tricky bit is cost effectiveness. I think a few potentially decent vaccines have been binned on that basis. Makes no sense to vaccinate animals with something that costs almost as much as the cow/pig/chicken it’s been given to!

I’m obviously way out of my depth when it comes to veterinary medicine but you can’t ignore the huge attrition rate when it comes to testing drugs in humans that seem to work very well in animals. I’ve never fully understood the biological differences that make this happen but it’s amazing how often a drug that causes a brilliant response in animals is completely useless in humans.

EDIT: Although I’m probably being too negative here. It is good news that we have effective vaccines in animals.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Though humans are 96% similar to chimps and 80% similar to cows (DNA) so that 5% can be a pretty significant difference I guess
https://www.businessinsider.com/com...ll-share-about-60-of-the-same-dna-as-humans-8
Apparently we are also 60% similar to fruit flys, chickens and bananas

Still at the moment Im sure people are researching everything - isnt one of the anti virals something that was developed for ebola but was pretty inneffective with that yet seems to help with CV-19 ... who knows perhaps we get lucky and stumble upon something

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Though humans are 96% similar to chimps and 80% similar to cows (DNA) so that 5% can be a pretty significant difference I guess
https://www.businessinsider.com/com...ll-share-about-60-of-the-same-dna-as-humans-8

Still at the moment Im sure people are researching everything - isnt one of the anti virals something that was developed for ebola but was pretty inneffective with that yet seems to help with CV-19 ... who knows perhaps we get lucky and stumble upon something
If you look at the caf it makes sense, some of us are few apples short of a fruit salad.

Wolverine

Yes I take the points of lack of applicability between animals-to-humans of course and in many ways a human coronavirus vaccination that is effective and safe will be monumental and unprecedented, not doubting that. And we'll need to luck out to align on a lot of different things regarding a potentially successful vaccine.
And we shouldn't bank on a vaccine becoming available as a given whatsoever. The odds percentage wise on that are against us in terms of what we know from vaccine manufacturing before but I also am not putting aside that approaching finding a vaccine through multiple different avenues (e.g. adenovirus, novel mRNA technology) is a plus in terms of tilting the balancing of those odds to finding something that works.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

I might be talking complete bollocks here, but isn't animal DNA entirely more complex than that of a virus? Like a 5% difference in a pair of sequences that have 1,000,000 characters denotes a far greater number of individual departures than a sequence of only 1,000 characters.

redshaw

UK 48 deaths, 512 cases.

Was 136 last Fri so well on course to have a lot less.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Don't know if anything has been posted here, but there is an outbreak of unknown pneumonia in Kazakhstan which the Chinese claim is deadlier than Covid-19.
Over 600 people seem to have died of it in June, but Kazakhstan denies it is worse than covid-19.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/10/asia/kazakhstan-pneumonia-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html
Just what we need. Not enough viral pneumonia around at the minute.

Heardy

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
On the positive side, the pandemic restrictions worldwide should be enough to hinder this disease from exploding into a pandemic like covid-19 I guess. Hopefully. We will propably learn the truth of this soon enough, I do not know if Kazakhstan is the kind of nation to downplay stuff for political reasons.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Thanks for the link. Kind of strange this. 28K Pneumonia patients hospitalised and tested negative? 15 million citizens and 28k non-covid pneumonia patients. Maybe they use faulty tests or maybe there has been very cold weather and people not wearing enough clothes :p

"Some 28,000 pneumonia patients with negative coronavirus tests are hospitalised in Kazakhstan, deputy health minister Azhar Giniyat said. "
"..the Kazakh health minister Alexei Tsoi acknowledged his country faced numerous cases of 'viral pneumonia of unspecified etiology [cause]'. "
"The ministry said its tallies of bacterial, fungal and viral pneumonia infections, which also included cases of unclear causes, were in line with World Health Organisation guidelines. "

Jacko21

Article also mentions that the ‘work from home if you can’ message could soon be dropped.

United58

Which always makes me think how insanely contagious measles is. Infection or vaccine gives complete life long immunity and there are no animal hosts, yet we still can’t maintain herd immunity after vaccination programs lasting decades.
How does this work? I've always been fascinated, do the antibodies permanently reside in your immune system afterwards?

Article also mentions that the ‘work from home if you can’ message could soon be dropped.
Masks are mandatory on public transport in Ireland from Monday

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Bosws87

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I didnt know it was that low - thought it was more like 50% with 75% giving very strong protection but yeah anything has to help and of course it remains to be seen if the virus mutates but if it does not then you would think that in a year or so some heard immunity protection (and better antiviral treatments / better experience) is our best bet in the very short term for at least some improvements.
Even if a vaccine is found I suspect it must be a huge logistical challenge to scale up production and delivery / application - even without the potential commercial wranglings and countries competing against each other - and with that factored in it seems even more difficult to see an effective vaccine delivered to enough people round the world in a short timespan
It largely depends on the original R. The higher the R the higher the % of those who need to be immune to achieve herd immunity (i.e. the Ro is lowered to below 1).

In the case of SARS-CoV-2 the R isn't known for sure but is likely to be between 3 and 6 which means we need between 60% and 85% of people to be immune to get herd immunity.

Tibs

Good news about masks becoming mandatory in shops.

Question:

1. In maybe 3 months, flu season will start, and nearly everyone will get a cold. Do you think everyone will have to be tested for Covid at that point? Or due to the numbers and stress on the NHS, will people just get told to isolate for 2 weeks?

2. If you have a cold, or the flu, are you then more likely to catch Covid and have a more severe illness? Or will it not make much of a difference?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Because we can't get 92% of the population to protect themselves.

hobbers

Good news about masks becoming mandatory in shops.

Question:

1. In maybe 3 months, flu season will start, and nearly everyone will get a cold. Do you think everyone will have to be tested for Covid at that point? Or due to the numbers and stress on the NHS, will people just get told to isolate for 2 weeks?

2. If you have a cold, or the flu, are you then more likely to catch Covid and have a more severe illness? Or will it not make much of a difference?

1. Probably follow a path of testing for flu first, and then testing for Covid if those come back negative.

2. If you catch a common cold caused by a coronavirus you'll get a bit of immunity to Covid, not full immunity but it would make any subsequent Covid infection less severe. Flu and Covid go through different receptor pathways and you can theoretically get both at the same time. Which if it happened could cause upper and lower respiratory tract infections which would certainly be worse than either one on their own.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
2. If you catch a common cold caused by a coronavirus you'll get a bit of immunity to Covid, not full immunity but it would make any subsequent Covid infection less severe. Flu and Covid go through different receptor pathways and you can theoretically get both at the same time. Which if it happened could cause upper and lower respiratory tract infections which would certainly be worse than either one on their own.
Do we know this is true? I have wondered if it could help, much like a flu vaccine offten helps a bit even if it doesn't target the strain you catch but I haven't seen any evidence for it yet. Would be good news if so.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Any south african that can explain how is the situation there?

infection rates are +12K and exponentially growing

Balljy

How does this work? I've always been fascinated, do the antibodies permanently reside in your immune system afterwards?
Antibodies reduce over time naturally, but the immune response will be reactivated it recognises the virus and that immune response will create more of those antibodies again.

From a viral point of view you generally have immunity for life if the virus doesn't mutate (which they all do over a period of time). If it does mutate enough, the immune response will have to relearn and create new antibodies.

Antibodies aren't the only immune response though. There are various cells in the immune system and B Cells create antibodies. There is evidence that T Cells have an impact on COVID and that is good news as there has now been some evidence that T Cell immune response can be across coronaviruses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-common-cold-could-provide-immunity-covid-19/

Last edited: