SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
My neighbours are having a party.
There must be 50 of them out the back yard. In fairness there is a yellow social distance sign on a pillar that someone brought but I can't see it through the sardine like humans in the back yard.

Social distance me hole

feck sake

F-Red

I'm not liking the look of the new case numbers, is this the start of the second wave or did we not finish the first ?
Look into the data and it provides some of the answers. Hospitalisation is still down.

Biggest jumps day on day of absolute case numbers (however context is that per 100k population, some of the jumps aren't significant).
  • Bradford +60
  • Leicester +42 (I suspect this is delayed reporting)
  • Blackburn with Darwen +40
  • Birmingham +35
  • Manchester +29
  • Leeds +28
  • Oldham +20
  • Wolverhampton +17
  • Rochdale +15
  • Liverpool +15

Carolina Red

Staff
Ladies and gents, the President of the United States...

"[W]e’ve done MUCH better than most other Countries in dealing with the China Virus. Many of these countries are now having a major second wave. The Fake News is working overtime to make the USA (& me) look as bad as possible!" President Trump tweeted early Monday lashing out at news outlets. "FAKE NEWS IS THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!"

http://hill.cm/nhZVpRY

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There must be 50 of them out the back yard. In fairness there is a yellow social distance sign on a pillar that someone brought but I can't see it through the sardine like humans in the back yard.

Social distance me hole

feck sake
Slightly related rant but whenever someone is on radio or TV talking about how they went to a crowded place, and when they get asked why they went there they start of by saying "We followed guidelines" I immediately assume that they know they're talking a load of shite and shouldn't have been there.

"[W]e’ve done MUCH better than most other Countries in dealing with the China Virus. Many of these countries are now having a major second wave. The Fake News is working overtime to make the USA (& me) look as bad as possible!" President Trump tweeted early Monday lashing out at news outlets. "FAKE NEWS IS THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!"

Nutter. He has 33,000,000 people to ”pad out” the numbers and they are still fast approaching 500 deaths per million.
At the current daily rate, the US will be on 520 deaths per million in 10 days.
Just feels like the US needs a consistent message from their leaders, same with the UK really.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Look into the data and it provides some of the answers. Hospitalisation is still down.

Biggest jumps day on day of absolute case numbers (however context is that per 100k population, some of the jumps aren't significant).
  • Bradford +60
  • Leicester +42 (I suspect this is delayed reporting)
  • Blackburn with Darwen +40
  • Birmingham +35
  • Manchester +29
  • Leeds +28
  • Oldham +20
  • Wolverhampton +17
  • Rochdale +15
  • Liverpool +15
What site is this from Fred?

F-Red

What site is this from Fred?
Data is from the government website, they're launching a new dashboard for the data tomorrow which should be easier to interpret. Currently mining the CSV files they serve up.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Data is from the government website, they're launching a new dashboard for the data tomorrow which should be easier to interpret. Currently mining the CSV files they serve up.
Thanks. Does Preston show up? Some reports I've seen say we're doing ok and others that we're one of the worst.

MTF

This is like after losing a match, instead of coming out with some dross about creating more chances, an unfair PK awarded by the ref or even the pitch being in poor condition... no, just say that actually you simply won the match.

Carolina Red

Staff
Nutter. He has 33,000,000 people to ”pad out” the numbers and they are still fast approaching 500 deaths per million.
At the current daily rate, the US will be on 520 deaths per million in 10 days.
Just feels like the US needs a consistent message from their leaders, same with the UK really.
We’re talking about a guy who also tweeted out “WRONG!” in response to the nation’s leading epidemiologist saying that there’s a surge in Covid community spread... then defended that by saying we’ve got more cases because we test more people.
This is like after losing a match, instead of coming out with some dross about creating more chances, an unfair PK awarded by the ref or even the pitch being in poor condition... no, just say that actually you simply won the match.
Basically, if he disagrees with someone, it’s a safe bet that they’re telling the truth.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm not liking the look of the new case numbers, is this the start of the second wave or did we not finish the first ?
Is it not just due to the fact that they are testing far more people now?

Fener1907

It’s been almost 3 full months since then and that was one city, in comparison London had 6300 deaths on 23rd July. On 12 May Istanbul had 3800 excess deaths.

So no @Fener1907 it’s not underwhelming at all, it’s rather telling in fact.
Densely populated city of 16 million has 3800 excess deaths!
"It's rather telling in fact," says man on the internet

F-Red

Thanks. Does Preston show up? Some reports I've seen say we're doing ok and others that we're one of the worst.
Only 3 case increase from the prior day, 28.2 per 100k of people over the last 7 days (declined 4.2 day on day). Seems to be trending in the right direction.

Densely populated city of 16 million has 3800 excess deaths!
"It's rather telling in fact," says man on the internet
Densely populated London had similar excess deaths on 12th May.
London weren’t way off on their numbers though, like Istanbul was, so how much can we trust the data since then? We’ll see next time the economist manages to get an update on Istanbul.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Only 3 case increase from the prior day, 28.2 per 100k of people over the last 7 days (declined 4.2 day on day). Seems to be trending in the right direction.
Ah good, thank you. Good tip about the government site enhancement too, I shall have another look at it tomorrow and hopefully it will be better for thickies like me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
One of our leads said they thought weddings would be safe. On what planet is 150 people gathering in one place, drinking and dancing until early hours of the morning, safe during pandemic?

Seems we might be heading for second lockdown soon though the surge in cases isn’t that dramatic. It doesn’t help that so many people here don’t even believe the virus exists.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Is it not just due to the fact that they are testing far more people now?
Are they testing that many more people now though ? Genuinely curious as I haven't been following the data, I think they tested 160 k on Saturday but that seems pretty low to me.

F-Red

Are they testing that many more people now though ? Genuinely curious as I haven't been following the data, I think they tested 160 k on Saturday but that seems pretty low to me.
More pillar two testing (community) than pillar one (hospital now). With admissions going down, and a general trend of an increase in testing numbers through out July, would suggest they're finding more cases than don't require hospitalisation. Track and trace becomes all the more important for this phase of management of the virus.

jymufc20

More pillar two testing (community) than pillar one (hospital now). With admissions going down, and a general trend of an increase in testing numbers through out July, would suggest they're finding more cases than don't require hospitalisation. Track and trace becomes all the more important for this phase of management of the virus.
Right, so at least that sounds like it isn't as bad as it looks, thankfully.

F-Red

Right, so at least that sounds like it isn't as bad as it looks, thankfully.
No, nothing to be overly concerned about at this stage, don't get me wrong though the increase is due to finding more cases through testing. Those hotspot places all have the increase for yesterday, and with the testing in those hotspots they're accepting tests from people with no symptoms. So I wouldn't be surprised if we're finding more asymptomatic cases of the virus (where as before it would be cases based upon someone feeling ill with symptoms).

If we see hospital admissions grow in line with cases, then that would be a huge cause for concern.

jymufc20

No, nothing to be overly concerned about at this stage, don't get me wrong though the increase is due to finding more cases through testing. Those hotspot places all have the increase for yesterday, and with the testing in those hotspots they're accepting tests from people with no symptoms. So I wouldn't be surprised if we're finding more asymptomatic cases of the virus (where as before it would be cases based upon someone feeling ill with symptoms).

If we see hospital admissions grow in line with cases, then that would be a huge cause for concern.
Good to hear.

(Bolded bit) what's the timeframe on that, two weeks or so ?

F-Red

Good to hear.

(Bolded bit) what's the timeframe on that, two weeks or so ?
Could be anything from one week to four, two weeks is the optimum time according to the isolation period. Some stats which probably give some context on admissions, Leicester went into lockdown at the start of July, admissions was at 201 per day, 31st July we were at 50 per day. So the trend is going against the increase in cases.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Let's hope this resurgence is nipped in the bud. I wouldn't advocate introducing full lockdown measures but governments should go back a stage if necessary.

People might also be becoming too relaxed and need to correct their behaviour
Just close the pubs. As a starter for ten.

Edit : Or rework how they operate. Drunk people are going off the rails already.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Social distance me hole

feck sake
Do something. I know I sound accusatory. But if you worry, do something. Otherwise... as you were.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It’s been almost 3 full months since then and that was one city, in comparison London had 6300 deaths on 23rd July. On 12 May Istanbul had 3800 excess deaths.

So no @Fener1907 it’s not underwhelming at all, it’s rather telling in fact.
You need to say something Reg. Not just make Trumpesque statements of not much at all.

McGrathsipan

Slightly related rant but whenever someone is on radio or TV talking about how they went to a crowded place, and when they get asked why they went there they start of by saying "We followed guidelines" I immediately assume that they know they're talking a load of shite and shouldn't have been there.
I've been observing this crowd all day.
So the couple that live in the house are elderly and there is regularly an order of Malta ambulance outside the house. The woman is in a wheelchair anyway so I'm thinking she's in a high risk Category.
I'm not exaggerating when I say they were all over each other all day and one man had a fit of coughing and barely covered his mouth but when he did he used his hand.
Used said hand then to shake hands with several people as they have been leaving.

I really hope nobody had it there because they will all have it if one of them have it.
Most of the adults were very overweight too.
Obviously they don't care

Unreal.

McGrathsipan

Do something. I know I sound accusatory. But if you worry, do something. Otherwise... as you were.
I'm not worried because humans are scum in the grand scheme of things and that's why I've already accepted the fact this virus isn't going anywhere for years until it weakens due to herd immunity or a vaccine.

So it's pointless for me to do anything.

I only control what I do and my wife and kids. We choose to stay safe.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

[/QUOTE]
Would it not be helpful to look at new cases/amount tested? Because cases rise but testing numbers increase so its hard to know how to digest the cases numbers.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Thanks for all of you who responded to my question re my symptoms yesterday. Got tested this morning with that ridiculously long nose swab - now to wait for the results.

RonaldoVII

I've been observing this crowd all day.
So the couple that live in the house are elderly and there is regularly an order of Malta ambulance outside the house. The woman is in a wheelchair anyway so I'm thinking she's in a high risk Category.
I'm not exaggerating when I say they were all over each other all day and one man had a fit of coughing and barely covered his mouth but when he did he used his hand.
Used said hand then to shake hands with several people as they have been leaving.

I really hope nobody had it there because they will all have it if one of them have it.
Most of the adults were very overweight too.
Obviously they don't care

Unreal.
Is it wrong that part of me wishes people like that would get the virus? I don't wish death on anyone, but mild and uncomfortable for a week would do. Problem is them giving it others who don't deserve it I guess. Same with those who've been flouting the rules for months and acting like it's over.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Starting a new job on the Respiratory ward on Wednesday for 6 months. Will be interesting to see the post-COVID effects of it all. I'm in for a whale of a time though over Winter. If the second wave hits, along with the horrendous winter pressures that bring up infective COPD presentations, flu and common pneumonias - it's going to be hectic.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting that Victoria's 5 day average of infections peaked 7 days after masks became compulsory - exactly what you would expect if mask are almost uniformally used and they work.

Research has estimated that the recent Stage 3 lockdown (now escalated to Stage 4) saved 37,000 infections and 1250 deaths.

40% of cases in ICU in Victoria are under 40. 75% under 70.

entropy

Has anyone traveled within the US over the last couple of weeks? I am curious to know what the procedure is when you land or cross into another state via road. I know each state has its own restrictions but they seem to be changing often.

Last edited: