SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Honestly it’s worrying my colleagues in our team meetings have started to flirt with the conspiracy ideas and moaning about our liberties being taken away for no reason. I swear they just come to these crazy conclusions with no evidence just so they can justify feeling hard done by because of current circumstances.
Think that could be it. I just think more 'ordinary rational' people are shifting to the point of scepticism and the people who were sceptical from the beginning are now becoming borderline radical in their views. I think it could really boil over.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I just wonder what it actually takes before people turn on them. It totally baffles me how much the public puts up with without any real push back.
Not only put up with them but vote this pack of festering cockends in again and again.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The feeling now seems to be that we know what we're dealing with, we can't go in and out of lockdown forever so lets just get on with it. I think the UK Government are blind to this and as restrictions continue to tighten I believe we might see a nasty pushback. Not just from loony radical idiots from the first lockdown who thinks Covid is a hoax, but from your average Joe.
That's the worry I've got. In part I'm looking at the Manchester story - local extra measures that started at the end of July, particularly around household mixing and on-demand testing in the hotspots.

The first half of that just proved to be impractical or emotionally impossible - which encouraged rulebending. The second part just told a lot of people there was a problem, but didn't give them a solution if people in their household needed to keep working, or if they were informal carers themselves. It certainly didn't help the infected ones get themselves out of a crowded house before they infected everyone else. The slow turnround on results made a lot of it "after the horse had bolted," anyway.

The mask rules didn't help either, rules for staff that seemed to contradict what shoppers were told. Rules in pubs that let people wander around indoors without masks that didn't seem to match shopping rules. Instead of encouraging the routine, people started picking and choosing when to wear them, and were getting visual confirmation that others were doing the same.

I'm not going to excuse the covidiots. I will say that once normal people start breaking a rule because it's too onerous, or because it's inconsistent, or merely uncomfortable and unenforced - then it tends to escalate. Suddenly you're back to being the odd one out wearing a mask, or feeling like a mug (or a monster) because you still haven't sat your new grand-kid on your knee to say hello.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Will people go an hour or 2 earlier to compensate? Some may but I'd have thought the majority wouldn't. Of course limiting entry numbers and enforcing things like social distancing would help even more.
100%

finneh

What scares me even more than the contents of the video is the dislike ratio and the comments.

There seems to be a real change in the narrative, its been happening in America but it looks to be occurring in the UK too. People who were all for the first lockdown, who promoted the wearing of masks and really had that 'in this together' mentality largely don't seem to feel that way anymore.

The feeling now seems to be that we know what we're dealing with, we can't go in and out of lockdown forever so lets just get on with it. I think the UK Government are blind to this and as restrictions continue to tighten I believe we might see a nasty pushback. Not just from loony radical idiots from the first lockdown who thinks Covid is a hoax, but from your average Joe.
From the start there was rhetoric about the fatigue of lockdown and how the longer you lockdown the less compliant and accepting the populace will be long term. Social scientists were saying timing the lockdown correctly was key: you lock down too early and long and whilst you'll have success in limiting short term deaths and buy time for PPE procurement, increased testing and preparing hospitals; when a second wave hits people just aren't going to be as compliant.

I'm staggered at how overwhelmingly compliant the UK population has been; however that fatigue is bound to wear out, especially for those groups whereby influenza is more deadly.

That's why a long term strategy has always been needed; rather than an ill thoughtout and short termist one.

The harsher the lockdown the more people were bound to stretch the rules when it was relaxed; that's why policies such as being unable to walk twice in a day were stupid.

b82REZ

I fear for the safety of teachers through the winter.

I've just had a student arrive displaying some symptoms. Protocol is to isolate them and ask a parent or carer to collect them. So far no response from parents and because I've been the only member of staff to interact with the child I now have to remain with him, which at this rate will be the end of the school day.

The kid basically said his parents said he was fine and sent him in. He clearly has a very chesty, persistent cough. Similar things have happened at my gfs school too. If parents don't start acting appropriately this will tear through the country as the asymptomatic children infect adults.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Just got off a 4hr plane journey where at best 50% of folks were wearing masks, the pilot had to threaten to stop off en route because some folks were abusing the staff...some people are idiots
Whilst this is serious, worrying, and these people are clearly moronic cockwombles, I did chuckle at the flashback to my childhood of my old chap telling us if he had to stop the car because we were misbehaving we would regret it.

Pagh Wraith

Is it really very difficult to get a test in the UK? I can get a test within 24 hours if I want to and have results the following day, no restrictions (in fact I've done so already).

I find it shocking if this is not possible in a developed country like the UK.
Here in Germany anyone who's returned to the country from a risk region can get tested for free. All they wanted was some proof that you were there (in my case a blablacar booking). I could look up my result online the next day.

Rajma

Honestly it’s worrying my colleagues in our team meetings have started to flirt with the conspiracy ideas and moaning about our liberties being taken away for no reason. I swear they just come to these crazy conclusions with no evidence just so they can justify feeling hard done by because of current circumstances.
It's the same theme everywhere. My friends even those who were very sensible from the beginning and are not stupid human beings starting to pivot towards conspiracy theories that virus has been sent to control us etc. I think obviously, in case of Lithuania we had only a handful of cases in comparison to the rest of the world, thus even though gov. did well with its measures in stopping the spread (we also had barely any restrictions for several months now) they are starting to become a victims of their own good work as some groups of people begin to believe that this was all made up (as no one knows anyone who has/had it in their circles).

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's the same theme everywhere. My friends even those who were very sensible from the beginning and are not stupid human beings starting to pivot towards conspiracy theories that virus has been sent to control us etc. I think obviously, in case of Lithuania we had only a handful of cases in comparison to the rest of the world, thus even though gov. did well with its measures in stopping the spread (we also had barely any restrictions for several months now) they are starting to become a victims of their own good work as some groups of people begin to believe that this was all made up (as no one knows anyone who has/had it in their circles).
Exactly! I feel like as human beings we are really bad at acknowledging cause and effect. Kinda like people saying ‘the millennium bug was a load of rubbish’, but it wasn’t, we just prepared accordingly. Let’s credit the work we do to prevent things instead of saying ‘oh we over reacted’.

Probably a rubbish analogy but I hope you get the broader point. :lol:

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle

F-Red

How though? It's just going to increase the amount of traffic in a pub during the opening hours.
Will people go an hour or 2 earlier to compensate? Some may but I'd have thought the majority wouldn't. Of course limiting entry numbers and enforcing things like social distancing would help even more.
The timing isn't a big as an issue as people are making out, the fact that everyone has to go down to table service will provide the biggest impact than the time. Traffic isn't even a conversation unless we're referring to table bookings now.

Ludens the Red

A huge amount of venues close far later than 11, especially at weekends.
Was about to post this. It shows you the average age of some of the posters in this thread :lol:
Lots of pubs close after midnight on weekends. Most bars close beyond midnight most nights. This isn’t 1995 where every drinking venue in the U.K. shuts at 11.

finneh

It's not the health service it is the people . What Sweden did worked out for them because the public acted responsibly.

In UK and Ireland however the public are largely selfish morons so it is pointless to attempt to try things their way
I think it's unfair to class the French, British, Irish, Dutch, Danish, Hungarian, Spanish, Croatian and Czech populace (amongst others) as selfish idiots. The countries in the EU experiencing this second wave outweigh those who don't.

It isn't down to selfishness or stupidity. It's far more nuanced than that; which absolutely includes the fact that Swedes have not been forced by their governments to stay in tiny flats for 23 hours per day.

You deprive an animal of food for days on end; what do you think it does when you present it with a meal that would under normal circumstances be seen as questionable?

SteveTheRed

What is the point of a 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants?
What time do they current stay open til?

I don’t understand how this moves the needle.
I think it;s stupid and pointless , however I have seen "pubs" near me that have been open until 1-2 in the morning, music on and clearly social distancing out the window. As far as i'm aware, before the rule change that ok?

This new rule will force that to stop. If you want to carry on i'm sure that people will find a place to go. It will just cause a whole group of people being kicked out of pubs at 10pm when they feel the night has only just begun!

F-Red

It will just cause a whole group of people being kicked out of pubs at 10pm when they feel the night has only just begun!
Groups of 6 at most, and it'll be table service remember. It'll be drastically different to any other kicking out time, and not what people expect in that process.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Groups of 6 at most, and it'll be table service remember. It'll be drastically different to any other kicking out time, and not what people expect in that process.
We’ve been doing this for ages in Ireland. The only pubs allowed to open have to serve food, have table service, social distancing etc. “Normal” pubs (which they decided to call ‘wet pubs’, feck knows why) haven’t been allowed open at all. Be interesting to see if these new measures have much effect on your numbers. It didn’t stop us ending up in a situation where indoor eating/drinking has been banned completely (in Dublin)

SiRed

Quality control
I have been tossing ideas around regarding conspiracies in my moments of madness and what i conclude is that if I were a world leader, looking to assert control around the world or looking at having 80% of the globe microchipped. Then i would probably make a virus. A virus that nobody has ever known. That is super contagious. A virus that infects immediately but doesn't give any clues for 2 weeks, giving you plenty of time to pass it around.

I would then strike fear into every single living person by exaggerating its effects. Forcing everyone to stay inside. I would massage the stats to cause more devastation and demand for a vaccine.

Whilst all this goes on i have my best scientists inventing a LIQUID microchip that we can disguise within a vaccine.

After 15 months of hell on earth, these clowns (me included) are so fed up and just want a return to the norm, they all queue up for what they believe is just a simple vaccine..... Little do they know, that as a world leader, i now have everyone microchipped. Everyone under surveillance and nobody is aware.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
I have been tossing ideas around regarding conspiracies in my moments of madness and what i conclude is that if I were a world leader, looking to assert control around the world or looking at having 80% of the globe microchipped. Then i would probably make a virus. A virus that nobody has ever known. That is super contagious. A virus that infects immediately but doesn't give any clues for 2 weeks, giving you plenty of time to pass it around.

I would then strike fear into every single living person by exaggerating its effects. Forcing everyone to stay inside. I would massage the stats to cause more devastation and demand for a vaccine.

Whilst all this goes on i have my best scientists inventing a LIQUID microchip that we can disguise within a vaccine.

After 15 months of hell on earth, these clowns (me included) are so fed up and just want a return to the norm, they all queue up for what they believe is just a simple vaccine..... Little do they know, that as a world leader, i now have everyone microchipped. Everyone under surveillance and nobody is aware.
Thread ban. Alot of people come here for balanced arguments and useful information. Please don’t pollute the thread with this nonsense.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

The world is flat and run by lizard people from the planet nibiru:rolleyes:

SiRed

Thread ban. Alot of people come here for balanced arguments and useful information. Please don’t pollute the thread with this nonsense.
Called a joke mate - if you didn't pick up on the tongue in cheek tone and then squeal asking for people to be banned, then that says a lot about you as a person!

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Why would you need to have the global population microchipped when everyone willingly carries phones with them everywhere they go? What better method of surveillance is there than that?

redshaw

England got down to 400 in hospital and 50 on vent a few weeks ago and now it's over 1300 and 190+ on vent.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
England got down to 400 in hospital and 50 on vent a few weeks ago and now it's over 1300 and 190+ on vent.
Johnson is a disgrace and it's his fault, the buck stops with him. He chose what measures to take, they were too little, too late and no proper enforcement. Even now the measures are illogical. How is sitting in a cafe with my friend this morning better than sitting in her house, just on our own? And yet the first thing is allowed and the second isn't.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Are you for real?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

This should really be in the Covidiots thread.

F-Red

Called a joke mate - if you didn't pick up on the tongue in cheek tone and then squeal asking for people to be banned, then that says a lot about you as a person!
Was your post an attempt at humour? It sounded like some conspiracy theorist noise. I thought jokes were meant to be funny?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Could listen to Fauci all day, so refreshing to hear an expert talk with such authority and slice through the political bluster of dick heads like Rand Paul with a sledge hammer.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Johnson is a disgrace and it's his fault, the buck stops with him. He chose what measures to take, they were too little, too late and no proper enforcement. Even now the measures are illogical. How is sitting in a cafe with my friend this morning better than sitting in her house, just on our own? And yet the first thing is allowed and the second isn't.
The surfaces of the cafe are cleaned a lot more regularly than the surfaces of your friend's, typically you'll spend significantly less time with your friend at the cafe, and you're unlikely to be dangerously close to other people for long enough in the cafe to outweigh both risk reductions.

The evidence is pretty strong that household transmission has had a much larger effect on the pandemic's trajectory than short get-togethers in cafes and the like. It's not that there's no risk but there is comparatively less, and there's obvious downsides to cutting off all avenues to social connection, so maintaining that until it becomes unsustainable too sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Comes with the bonus of keeping local people in jobs too.

Spain, France and the UK all had different approaches to managing the first wave and delaying the second, but are facing similar situations. If there was an easy way to avoid it that didn't come with it's own catastrophic consequences then you'd expect at least one of them too, and the least competent government to stand out from the crowd. That isn't generally how it has worked out.

Bosws87

UK - New CoVID cases reported in Sep-20 is as high as it was back in Apr-20. Wave 2 is officially on. Hospitalizations are expected to spike next month on.
Yeh, but thats totally inaccurate and manipulating numbers to paint a different picture to the actual reality.