SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
They have no chance of people complying if they start a narrative that somehow London and the South can carry on almost as normal, but the rest of us up north should shut ourselves indoors alone.
Yep, considering that should have been what happened on first lockdown, leave the north but lockdown the south.

They're going on like the north doesn't have loads of manufacturing and production job roles. Literally the roles needed to keep the country going.

If businesses go bust here it's harder for them to come back.

Not a prayer the north will lock down.

Jon Snow would not allow this for the north!

acnumber9

One in four people not willing to comply with simple instructions intended to save the lives/livelihood of their friends and families is a depressing enough headline as it is tbh.
True. Though I’m not convinced quarantining at this stage is going to make the slightest difference. We missed that boat 7 months ago.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They have no chance of people complying if they start a narrative that somehow London and the South can carry on almost as normal, but the rest of us up north should shut ourselves indoors alone.
But on the flip side should a town/city that has one case a day get lockdown? There's an argument that more targeted localised messures could have happened even back in March as the South West especially have been left relitevely unscathed even with the reopening of society and tourist flocking down there. Essex was another part of the country that seemed to so alright.

acnumber9

To be honest, it’s hard to know which measures will/won’t take the edge off this second wave but it’s grim to hear how little buy in there is out there.
Quarantining people coming from countries with similar infection levels to our own country couldn’t make any difference when people staying in the UK can still go to work etc.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
So some meat processing plant with 500 employees, all tested and 170 cases, most asymptomatic.

So that's what, 35% who tested positive? Obviously a bit skewed because that all work and mingle together (but how? Aren't workplaces safe?) Which brings you to if a lockdown happens, why aren't workplaces like factories shut? Clearly looking at that spread they're not safe, but really, they are because the majority working in factories are young and it doesn't affect then too much, but they still want to lock those same people down during lockdowns.

I think numbers of people who have already had it are way higher than what government are saying, just there are so many it doesn't affect to never get tested unless they are made to.

All this because some cnut ate a bat.

redshaw

France and Spain with 13 and 11k cases. Spain 177 deaths, 200 yesterday.

I wonder what rate will make Spain go for another lockdown. Last week Spain was around 100 deaths a day on average and seems to be going higher.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Interesting Press Conference so far...the idea that the second wave might be more localised to the North of the country is interesting. Potentially much more severe and long term restrictions could be applied here - whilst the South remains more open and keeps the economy going??
Maggie Thatcher would be happy.

What date will the next national lock down be?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Quarantining people coming from countries with similar infection levels to our own country couldn’t make any difference when people staying in the UK can still go to work etc.
Reducing additional sources of infection always make a difference. At this stage it looks like a second wave is well on its way in the UK and controlling it will require multiple measure each of which won't be a solution on its own.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Reducing additional sources of infection always make a difference. At this stage it looks like a second wave is well in its way in the UK and controlling it will require multiple measure each of which won't be a solution on its own.
It’s not really an additional source unless they’ve actually contracted it. Which they’re just as likely to do in the UK. Fair enough if the infection levels are way lower but they’re not really.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It’s not really an additional source unless they’ve actually contracted it. Which they’re just as likely to do in the UK. Fair enough if the infection levels are way lower but they’re not really.
It is an additional source as without quarantine you are guaranteed to be bringing additional infection into the country even though not every person coming in will be infected. You can't compare the infection rate in the source country and not worry about it if it is lower than the UK as you will still be importing additional infections which will result in even more UK infections. Border controls (national, State, region or county) are valuable because it allows you to reduce infection within that boundary and not import more. In theory you can eliminate inside one area and keep it that way. Each area/cell can then be joined together as they eliminate and only areas that still have infection are isolated/restricted. It is what is working in Australia and prevented Victoria's ourbreak spreading nationwide and it was used to great effect in NZ. Even if you don't eliminate or aim for elimination (and AU hasn't aimed for elimination, just significant suppression) it is a very valuable tool to flatten the curve.

The trouble in the UK is that this ship has probably sailed and even if it were possible a government as chaotic and incompetent as Bojo's clown posse couldn't provide the leadership that would be require to take hearts and mind with them.

Last edited:

acnumber9

It is an additional source as without quarantine you are guaranteed to be bringing additional infection into the country even though not every person coming in will be infected. You can't compare the infection rate in the source country and not worry about it if it is lower than the UK as you will still be importing additional infections which will result in even more UK infections. Border controls (national, State, region or county) are valuable because it allows you to reduce infection within that boundary and not import more. In theory you can eliminate inside one area and keep it that way. Each area/cell can then be joined together as they eliminate and only areas that still have infection are isolated/restricted. It is what is working in Australia and prevented Victoria's ourbreak spreading nationwide and it was used to great effect in NZ. Even if you don't eliminate or aim for elimination (and AU hasn't aimed for elimination, just significant suppression) it is a very valuable tool to flatten the curve.

The trouble in the UK is that this ship has probably sailed and even if it were possible a government as chaotic and incompetent as Bojo's clown posse couldn't provide the leadership that would be require to take hearts and mind with them.
That’s only the case if you’re more likely to catch it by being in a different country than you are in your own country. If you’ve a 1 in 100 chance of getting it in Coventry and a 1 in 100 chance of getting it in Madrid it doesn’t matter which you catch it in. If you go about your daily business you’re just as likely to give it to somebody else. You aren’t importing a new case by picking it up somewhere else. You’re just changing where you got it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That makes no sense. You are importing a case you wouldn't have otherwise had and that person will infect 3-6 others who will in turn infect 3-6 others. Make them quarantine and you won't import that case into the country. It is that simple.

Woodzy

Bingo. I’m glad I’m not working there. Sounds like a shitshow there for a while.
Yeh sounds mad there.

My grandfather actually went there on Tuesday for a pre-op exam which is quite worrying. I'd like to think that they took all the precautions they possibly could have but it's still a nightmare.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Yeh sounds mad there.

My grandfather actually went there on Tuesday for a pre-op exam which is quite worrying. I'd like to think that they took all the precautions they possibly could have but it's still a nightmare.
I think that should have been OK. This is the issue with the COVID testing I think. Not reliable.

I’m on call this week - had a lady come in on Monday with oxygen saturations of 74% (should be >98%) with a temperature of 39.
Nailed on COVID. Swabbed her, negative.
Couldn’t believe it. I told them to swab her again before they move her up to a “non-COVID” ward. Second swab came back positive.

Probably what’s happened in Glam. Patient falsely tested negative and just gone upstairs and infected a ward and then it just moves from ward to ward.

Alternatively, a super-spreader non-symptomatic staff member in ED has given it resulting in a few pages being infected and going up to ward.

Don’t know which one is more damaging.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
My least favourite “I’m so smart” rebuttal at the moment is “how many times have you been to the drs with a virus and they say there’s nothing they can do just let it run it’s course and you’ll be fine”

Yeah great for those viruses but if you go in with HIV they’ll treat it otherwise you’ll die you utter feckwits

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My least favourite “I’m so smart” rebuttal at the moment is “how many times have you been to the drs with a virus and they say there’s nothing they can do just let it run it’s course and you’ll be fine”

Yeah great for those viruses but if you go in with HIV they’ll treat it otherwise you’ll die you utter feckwits
Obviously they’re far too stupid to reason with but you could also ask them why all the sick people in hospital are wearing masks with wee tubes going into them and why there’s been so much talk about ventilators? Without oxygen and ICU beds the death rate would be many times higher.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Obviously they’re far too stupid to reason with but you could also ask them why all the sick people in hospital are wearing masks with wee tubes going into them and why there’s been so much talk about ventilators? Without oxygen and ICU beds the death rate would be many times higher.
Assuming this is a Scottish “wee”, very unfortunate use.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think that should have been OK. This is the issue with the COVID testing I think. Not reliable.

I’m on call this week - had a lady come in on Monday with oxygen saturations of 74% (should be >98%) with a temperature of 39.
Nailed on COVID. Swabbed her, negative.
Couldn’t believe it. I told them to swab her again before they move her up to a “non-COVID” ward. Second swab came back positive.

Probably what’s happened in Glam. Patient falsely tested negative and just gone upstairs and infected a ward and then it just moves from ward to ward.

Alternatively, a super-spreader non-symptomatic staff member in ED has given it resulting in a few pages being infected and going up to ward.

Don’t know which one is more damaging.
I’m hearing similar stories from my friends working in Irish hospitals. And you’d expect the swabbing technique (and storage/transfer of sample) to be much less prone to error in hospitals. So it’s kind of mind boggling to think how many cases are missed in the community, with people going straight back to school/work/pub after the reassurance of a “negative” test result.

So many assholes on social media shitting on about false positives, while false negatives are a) more likely and b) a much bigger problem.

F-Red

It makes an impact, the reason of Bolton being the worst affected LA in the country for September is due to the logic you're stating. Someone didn't quarantine and went out on the town and passed it to others, not thinking that they had it. The quarantine element is a useful test and tracing method for the potential import of cases. I would argue there's no need for a quarantine process if our testing and tracing process is 'world class' but this is where the government have failed miserably on multiple counts and this is their only choice.

F-Red

I’m hearing similar stories from my friends working in Irish hospitals. And you’d expect the swabbing technique (and storage/transfer of sample) to be much less prone to error in hospitals. So it’s kind of mind boggling to think how many cases are missed in the community, with people going straight back to school/work/pub after the reassurance of a “negative” test result.
I think this is an understated point with regards to testing. My other half had her swab test for work on Monday (all clear) but she said that she reckons a majority of the home tests aren't being done properly due to peoples fear of sticking items up their nose & down their throat.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Beyond believe how stupid they are

The last one I saw was from someone who’s had corona (apparently) and now is convinced it’s not dangerous because she didn’t get symptoms. Well no ones denied that ever, in fact the asymptotic people are part of the reason this is so dangerous.

Obviously a staunch anti masker too, I could ask her why after hours of a mask in hospital the other night I could have a resting HR of 68 with no lower than 99% o2 saturation despite being asthmatic but they’d find some dumb excuse. Most of the medical exemptions are bullshit too that don’t really mean you can’t wear a mask. The only time I take mine down in shops is to speak to my girlfriend as she needs to lip read in certain situations and can’t always understand the workers.

Just sick of it all :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of our neighbours got a large tattoo done. She was showing the pictures on her FB. No mask in sight, either for her or the person doing the tattoo. It probably took 4-5 hours for this tattoo. Indoors.

So if this is how the tattooist is doing his clients, good luck!

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
One of our neighbours got a large tattoo done. She was showing the pictures on her FB. No mask in sight, either for her or the person doing the tattoo. It probably took 4-5 hours for this tattoo. Indoors.

Does my head in, as much as our government in the UK have been dire they also don’t stand a chance when so many people couldn’t give a feck, and I know some decisions they’ve made haven’t helped but people look for any stupid excuse to do what they want.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think this is an understated point with regards to testing. My other half had her swab test for work on Monday (all clear) but she said that she reckons a majority of the home tests aren't being done properly due to peoples fear of sticking items up their nose & down their throat.
My wife and I were chatting about that as we have both had camera tests up noses and down throats. She’s phobic about it. No way we’d be able to do it properly ourselves

golden_blunder

Staff
Beyond believe how stupid they are

The last one I saw was from someone who’s had corona (apparently) and now is convinced it’s not dangerous because she didn’t get symptoms. Well no ones denied that ever, in fact the asymptotic people are part of the reason this is so dangerous.

Obviously a staunch anti masker too, I could ask her why after hours of a mask in hospital the other night I could have a resting HR of 68 with no lower than 99% o2 saturation despite being asthmatic but they’d find some dumb excuse. Most of the medical exemptions are bullshit too that don’t really mean you can’t wear a mask. The only time I take mine down in shops is to speak to my girlfriend as she needs to lip read in certain situations and can’t always understand the workers.

Just sick of it all :lol:
Yeah totally sympathise with that POV. It’s actually started getting to me, from clueless neighbours to parents ignoring the school rules to wear masks when dropping/picking up kids, to Tesco delivery drivers coming practically into your house to drop shopping with no mask. I could go on. A chunk of Society has become very selfish and ignorant. I suppose it doesn’t help when you have the types of world leaders that we do, everyone feels like they can do what they want. I feel like some countries are a powder keg right now just waiting on a spark

A friend of mine said that exact same thing. Her whole office had to do a home test because one of the coworkers tested positive. None of them came back positive but she couldn't bring herself to put it far up her nose. That issue surely must have been considered in the design and the whole process allows for a number of missed positives.

I also have two friends in the UK who have had positive results for tests they never even took due to the queue at the testing centre being too long.

I hope all these false results are evened out in the wash and are not skewing the large scale numbers.

Tbh i would have hoped a tattooist would be wearing a mask at the best of times, considering they're breathing into an open wound. Never mind Covid.

djembatheking

Yep, try swabbing a 4 year olds clacker and up the nose for 10-15 seconds and telling me that it is an accurate test. I'm sure there has been many false results from home testing and a lot of people are quite happy to have negatives so they can go about their business.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We haven't had a case of community transmission for 6 days here in NSW and suddenly almost nobody is wearing a mask. I sometimes think that we are too stupid as a species to survive.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The frustrating thing about this is the fact it has such a grave effect on the entire community. If these people were jumping into a volcano because of their ignorance I think I’d shrug and consider it Darwinism. It’s more like they’re jumping off a skyscraper and falling towards a busy street.

acnumber9

That makes no sense. You are importing a case you wouldn't have otherwise had and that person will infect 3-6 others who will in turn infect 3-6 others. Make them quarantine and you won't import that case into the country. It is that simple.
Not if you can pick it up in Manchester and ‘import’ it to Birmingham just as easily.