SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

I know that they do not like the North, but this regarding not considering themselves to be Italy is new to me. What are they then, a city-state?
They're just very different to the rest of the country. If there were ever to be a Catalan style independence movement in Italy, it would be in Naples.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
They're just very different to the rest of the country. If there were ever to be a Catalan style independence movement in Italy, it would be in Naples.
I thought the closest thing Italy had in that respect was the Lega Nord campaign for greater autonomy - and for some, independence - for the north?

I thought the closest thing Italy had in that respect was the Lega Nord campaign for greater autonomy - and for some, independence - for the north?
They use it to stir up anti Southern resentment but I dont think they ever actually want to split off, if anything its more the other way round. Lots of the North just resent paying for the South.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting that it looks like Australia has saved at least 400 extra lives per month through covid related restrictions, with deaths during June being 400 lower than the bottom of the likely range.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interesting that it looks like Australia has saved at least 400 extra lives per month through covid related restrictions, with deaths during June being 400 lower than the bottom of the likely range.
Interesting but not surprising. Much less traffic on the roads, more drinking at home so less drink driving and less transmission of all the usual infectious diseases. You can always save lives if you wrap everyone in cotton wool. But not a trade off that society would usually be willing to make.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Interesting but not surprising. Much less traffic on the roads, more drinking at home so less drink driving and less transmission of all the usual infectious diseases. You can always save lives if you wrap everyone in cotton wool. But not a trade off that society would usually be willing to make.
It was just interesting to see it quantified. Mainly respiratory deaths down although oddly dementia deaths were also down. And of course that doesn't account for any longer term health issues caused by the lockdown (early on in all states and now in Victoria) be it mental health or people not going to the doctor when they should. Luckily we haven't had to do much delaying of essential medical treatment due to keeping infection numbers down.

Tony Babangida

0 new cases reported in Victoria today. Been a long time coming. Still in lockdown, hoping for good news in the next couple of days.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
0 new cases reported in Victoria today. Been a long time coming. Still in lockdown, hoping for good news in the next couple of days.
I'm hoping we have a 4th day in NSW and have zero national cases of local transmission for the first time since this began (I assume).

Edit: 1 case in NSW - connected to a known cluster

I'm just hoping they jumped on the Victorian school cluster fast enough and that we won't see some infections over the next few days. I can't believe the flack Dan Andrews is getting for delaying a decision on decreasing restriction for a couple of days to get the testing backlog done as a result of aggressively testing the close contacts of the school cluster.

Last edited:

bonothom

Spain ordering nationwide curfew

could you imagine them even suggesting that to the U.K. public?
I doubt there would me much problem if they did that here. Its 11pm to 6am. There's no pubs or clubs open in the uk after 10pm so why would people be bothered about being out after 11pm.

Tony Babangida

I can't believe the flack Dan Andrews is getting for delaying a decision on decreasing restriction for a couple of days to get the testing backlog done as a result of aggressively testing the close contacts of the school cluster.
I am not the least bit surprised! People are desperate for this stage IV lockdown to be over. It's hard to stay rational. Plus it looks like the DHHS might have mishandled the family at the centre of the outbreak, they don't fill me with confidence. Fingers crossed for the outbreak to be controlled and restrictions easing by the end of the week.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I am not the least bit surprised! People are desperate for this stage IV lockdown to be over. It's hard to stay rational. Plus it looks like the DHHS might have mishandled the family at the centre of the outbreak, they don't fill me with confidence. Fingers crossed for the outbreak to be controlled and restrictions easing by the end of the week.
Hard to know if the DHHS cocked up or the family made an error (or both) as I think the family just assumed the youngest kid didn't need clearance as he hadn't tested positive yet and DHHS didn't specifically address the status of the youngest kid. The subtext of some reports seems to be that language was an issue. Of course than could be the press racist dogwhistling as it was a Muslim family/school or DHHS needing clearer comms or just a cockup. Fingers crossed there are no more infections from that cluster to come. I fear there may be a few more.

I know that the second lockdown must have been even harder than the first but the right wing press and politicians have been irresponsible and trying to stir shit up and exacerbate the stress for political gain. Also hard to know if Vic's contract tracing is worse than NSW's (as Muroch et al. seem to be alleging) or if they are just leaping on possible outbreaks and doing mass contract tracing thus the day or so delay in results. It would be great of they could make an announcement by mid week but I'm not sure when the last transmission was which will influence when any announcement can be made.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well we got our easing! That first pint in the pub is going to be the best of my life!!
I just saw that. Bloody brilliant. I thought Dan Andrews was going to cry. Well done Victoria and Victorians. Top effort that all should be very proud of - enjoy your pint. If I were in Melbourne I'd be off to Hop Nation for a hazy IPA.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Italy had higher case numbers than the UK yesterday. The Government declared another emergency decree - the third in a fortnight. Bars and restaurants must close at 6pm, cinemas, concert halls, clubs and all that kind of thing closed, no public gatherings (there are usually a lot of festivals at this time of year), gyms and swimming pools closed and we are now strongly recommended to stay within our communes and not visit other people's homes - not mandatory at the moment. Restrictions on schools as well. We're getting back to how we were in the first wave.

I'm just about to leave the comune for my usual weekly shopping trip, to stock up on the things I can't get in the village or online. It may be my last chance I think, as I suspect we'll be seeing the police on the roads stopping us very soon.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Italy had higher case numbers than the UK yesterday. The Government declared another emergency decree - the third in a fortnight. Bars and restaurants must close at 6pm, cinemas, concert halls, clubs and all that kind of thing closed, no public gatherings (there are usually a lot of festivals at this time of year), gyms and swimming pools closed and we are now strongly recommended to stay within our communes and not visit other people's homes - not mandatory at the moment. Restrictions on schools as well. We're getting back to how we were in the first wave.

I'm just about to leave the comune for my usual weekly shopping trip, to stock up on the things I can't get in the village or online. It may be my last chance I think, as I suspect we'll be seeing the police on the roads stopping us very soon.
Does the fact that Italy has suffered worse before and is on course to suffer worse again make you wonder whether any of the issues that you had with the UK government's / citizen's approach to the pandemic were all that important? If the Italian government were doing all the right things and the UK government all the wrong things then doesn't that point to the lack of impact these things can realistically have?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I know we obviously have mass testing now across the continent and it is an incredibly interconnected continent.....but how on earth have we managed to get ourselves back in this situation? Pretty much all of us?

Did we relax too much after we'd controlled the first wave? Should all those holidays have been banned? Seems ridiculously silly now, especially considering I think most of East Asia/ SE Asia, which has far less movement between countries anyway, still seems relatively much more closed.

Vaccine or not, its pretty demoralising that we've ended up in a situation where many of us are going back into some kind of lockdown and the majority seem under at least some kind of measures.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I know we obviously have mass testing now across the continent and it is an incredibly interconnected continent.....but how on earth have we managed to get ourselves back in this situation? Pretty much all of us?

Did we relax too much after we'd controlled the first wave? Should all those holidays have been banned? Seems ridiculously silly now, especially considering I think most of East Asia/ SE Asia, which has far less movement between countries anyway, still seems relatively much more closed.

Vaccine or not, its pretty demoralising that we've ended up in a situation where many of us are going back into some kind of lockdown and the majority seem under at least some kind of measures.
In fairness, I think that the main issue here is a lack of a clear early message on what we can expect. I know that a lot of people thought that they need to stay home for a month or two and this would be over.

Regarding what you are saying, several posters here stated pretty clearly that we will have to go in and out of some kind of lockdown until a vaccine is found. Also, it was pretty common knowledge that the shit would hit the fan once autumn came.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In fairness, I think that the main issue here is a lack of a clear early message on what we can expect. I know that a lot of people thought that they need to stay home for a month or two and this would be over.

Regarding what you are saying, several posters here stated pretty clearly that we will have to go in and out of some kind of lockdown until a vaccine is found. Also, it was pretty common knowledge that the shit would hit the fan once autumn came.
Do you mean in the UK (or Serbia) or across Europe as a whole?

I think the problem of course is that many of us (and those in governments too) didn't know what to expect. In Europe, we slightly arrogantly saw it as an Asian virus I think that wouldn't hit us in Europe and even after we got control of the first wave (or avoided it in some cases in Central/East Europe), a lot of people seemed in pretty celebratory mood about how well they'd done to avoid it.

A lot of Europe seemed to treat their summer holidays as normal and people were flying all over the continent, while I see Singapore/HK/Japan/SK etc are still mostly in discussions about restarting business travel etc.

I feel like in Europe (and North America) we've kind of bit the bullet and said a second wave (or more ) is inevitable and almost shrugged our shoulders. Obviously still too early to say but it doesn't seem that East/SE Asia is really gong through something similar en masse like we are in Europe.

redshaw

Some talk of Belgium having a lockdown, it's been quite bad there.

The cases and deaths will build slower in the second wave but I wonder what point some of the countries start another lockdown. It may be possible to hit a certain level of deaths/cases and not overwhelm the hospitals but it''s still very tricky as the lag of deaths and any extra restrictions imposed means you have to do a lockdown in advance.

Maybe during this Christmas when work and schools are mostly closed and families don't gather as much as previous years (meaning staying over 25th onwards) it can really drop down but it's another two months away and the lead up to Christmas could be quite devastating

Last edited:

Brwned

Yeah, and it was presented early on that intermittent quarantines - or the closest we could get to that, taking into account quarantine fatigue - were expected to be necessary to keep it below the ICU threshold. We've improved treatments, increased ICU capacity and have been able to incorporate a lot of interventions into the non-quarantine periods, which has given us a bit more leeway, but it was never going to be enough to avoid another iteration of it this year. This was from a report 6 months ago from the people who essentially brought the UK quarantine into effect:

You're looking at it from the German perspective, but in reality the UK is in a different world on this.

The major concern is about overloading the healthcare system past its breaking point. The UK has 4,500 ICU beds, Germany has 24,500 beds. Based on a study in Wuhan, about 5% of cases require ICU beds, so Germany has the capacity to manage 490,000 typical cases (50x what they currently have) while the UK has the capacity to manage 90,000 typical cases (a little over double what they currently have). On top of that the UK has a shortage of PPE and testing capacity, leading to many more doctors ill or self-isolating and reducing the peak demand they can manage. The UK had no alternative because the infrastructure in place was dramatically inferior to Germany.

We already have hospitals urging people not to go there because they have severe resource shortages. On lockdown. Surely everyone could see that would be happening on a much wider scale if not for the lockdown. It wouldn't simply have been a few old people losing a few months of their lives. It's the healthcare system that's at risk.

If we had 25,000 ICU beds then we would be able to cope without a lockdown, as per this graph on the top-left from Imperial's modelling. Instead, because the ICU capacity is 5x lower, even with the most risky approach to suppression we will need to be in intermittent lockdown for 6 of the next 18 months, 1 month on, 2 months off.

Germany does have 25,000 ICU beds so they have more choice in that regard.
The Welsh government has already said this "circuit breaker" aka lockdown aka quarantine doesn't come with a promise that it's the last, in fact it would be prudent to expect it again in January after cases pick up again out of that quarantine period and with the holiday spread. Many politicians have been less transparent about that but many public health experts have been just as transparent. The problem is they're slotted into this he said, she said narrative or doom and gloom pitted against rays of sunshine in the media coverage, which you can say is the media confusing people, but on some level it reflects the way the wider population wants it to be portrayed. The harsh truths don't get interpreted as truth but as doom mongering. Even if it was true they didn't want to believe it.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

I think the problem of course is that many of us (and those in governments too) didn't know what to expect. In Europe, we slightly arrogantly saw it as an Asian virus I think that wouldn't hit us in Europe and even after we got control of the first wave (or avoided it in some cases in Central/East Europe), a lot of people seemed in pretty celebratory mood about how well they'd done to avoid it.

A lot of Europe seemed to treat their summer holidays as normal and people were flying all over the continent, while I see Singapore/HK/Japan/SK etc are still mostly in discussions about restarting business travel etc.

I feel like in Europe (and North America) we've kind of bit the bullet and said a second wave (or more ) is inevitable and almost shrugged our shoulders. Obviously still too early to say but it doesn't seem that East/SE Asia is really gong through something similar en masse like we are in Europe.
I mean Europe in general and it is even worse in the US. There has not been a clear enough loud enough message on how long it will last.

The politicians mainly focused on what would need to be done next when adressing people. Anf then you have Johnson and the likes promising that life will be back to nearly normal by Xmas, which was never going to happen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It’s not just Europe and North America though. South America’s been absolutely hammered. India’s having a terrible time. Case numbers are peaking in Iran and Israel’s had a second full lockdown already.

We also somehow have close neighbours having very different experiences to other countries in the same region. Pakistan doesn’t seem to be having a second wave, or Saudi Arabia. And the continent of Africa is a patchwork of very different caseload graphs.

It’s very hard to work out why different countries are/aren’t having a second wave but there’s more to it than just Europe/North America making terrible decisions.

It’s probably easier to look at the very small number of countries that seem to be doing well. The common themes seem to be geographic isolation and low population density and/or prior experience of dealing with a novel viral epidemic.

Brwned

While both of these statements are true I'm not sure they tell the story you're alluding to. Business travel has dropped off a cliff everywhere and will recover much more slowly than leisure travel, so comparing business travel in Asia to leisure travel in Europe will only mislead.

From a quick glance at this data, people in Asia are travelling quite a lot on planes. There were 28m seats available on the w/c 19th October in APAC compared to 43m a year earlier, while there 11m seats available in Europe compared to 29m a year earlier. In other words the drop-off in European flights has been much more severe, even now. Or if you look at this data, Asian travel has been steadily increasing to now be the top travellers. That's domestic and international overall, and it's just the case that a larger proportion of European flights have always been international, so it's difficult to do a side by side comparison regionally.

If you take Japan as an example, 140k seats were available for international flights vs 1.2m a year earlier, whereas for the UK 930k seats were available vs 3m a year earlier. So Japan's international demand fell to 12% of normal levels while the UK's fell to 32%. And generally speaking European borders have been open much longer and to a much wider range of countries than Asia's. But then if the notion is that movement of people across medium-long distances through airports and planes is a major source of transmission, then domestic flights are still a risk factor and Asia are doing a lot more of that at the moment. And if you assume that most people are moving from areas of higher community transmission to lower community transmission, or maintaining a similar level, then the end destination doesn't matter all that much.

What would make a difference is the kinds of holidays people take and the propensity to do things in large groups, and from the data I've seen whether it was Asian travel (which has a tradition of large group cultural tours) or European travel (which obviously leans more to large group partying), there was much more travelling among small groups than usual. At the end of the day, most transmission that we're able to track comes from within our own borders. It's only the countries that have managed to keep it under control exceptionally well within their own borders (e.g. Germany) that can point to a significant proportion being imported in.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Does the fact that Italy has suffered worse before and is on course to suffer worse again make you wonder whether any of the issues that you had with the UK government's / citizen's approach to the pandemic were all that important? If the Italian government were doing all the right things and the UK government all the wrong things then doesn't that point to the lack of impact these things can realistically have?
Good point, but I still believe that clear instruction and proper enforcement is the way to go. I think we got it under control as well as any European county could, bearing in mind that Italy was the first European country to have massive amounts of cases and deaths. There is a very clear lead here from the Government and that can be tweaked by regional presidents, as long as they are putting in additional measures and not relaxing the nation-wide ones.

I think there's now a misconception that it's generally worse here than the UK. I would dispute that, as many regions have reasonably low numbers of cases and deaths, although a couple in particular have serious problems (Lombardy and Campania). When we were in the UK through September, people were reacting with horror when I said we live in Italy. At the time, cases were very low here and things were under control. When I told people what was actually happening, they were surprised and somewhat dubious.

The measures must have worked originally, because we were all down to very low numbers of new cases for quite a long time. When we relaxed them (coinciding with very good weather here and the holiday season), things started to go the other way again. The UK could have moved more decisively and at an earlier stage, which I believe would have resulted in better first wave outcomes for the UK. Johnson had the benefit of not being first, he didn't make the best use of it.

SiRed

i recently read somewhere that Covid has the 24th highest mortality rate in the UK? Why are we locking everything down over this? To me, it seems over-reactive.

The initial response in Italy was definitely better. Italy went from being worst in Europe to amongst the best, whereas the UK never really got a handle on it.

The second wave is yet to be seen. I see there is more negative press in Italy this time around and the natural Italian tendency to ignore rules a little more pronounced, but i was in the UK two weeks ago and there are clearly plenty of problems there too. Yesterday was the first day in months where Italy posted more cases than the UK. It's too early to tell how either country will handle the second wave.

Aside from that, everything the Italian government is doing now is skirting around the real issue, schools and universities. Cases only started to shoot up once the kids went back in mid September. Schools are getting closed down all over the place as authorities try to keep up. The 11pm curfew is aimed at stopping kids hanging around in town squares at night. The sport ban is aimed at them playing football together. But nobody will say it. Just my opinion of course.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
i recently read somewhere that Covid has the 24th highest mortality rate in the UK? Why are we locking everything down over this? To me, it seems over-reactive.
”You can’t catch a car crash“

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
24th in Wales for the month of September alone. Find it extremely unlikely its 24th for the year in the entire UK.

That was in August, when the Covid death rate in England was 7.2 per 100,000 people. The total death rate for all causes was 277 per 100,000, so yes, Covid was not that big a deal in August. In April however the Covid rate was 623 per 100,000, so over double all the other causes put together.

SiRed

That was in August, when the Covid death rate in England was 7.2 per 100,000 people. The total death rate for all causes was 277 per 100,000, so yes, Covid was not that big a deal in August. In April however the Covid rate was 623 per 100,000, so over double all the other causes put together.
So the improvement would be down to what exactly?? Learning how to treat the illness better?

ColvaleGoa

Will UK go into full lockdown now? Spain , Italy and France have had a huge spike. Cases seem to be on the rise . We are pretty fecked if this lockdown comes.