SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The BBC has a kind of photo tribute to people who've died, they are randomly showing 100 pics you can scroll through while reading a few lines about each person.

I looked through the first hundred last night - we all know that people from black and ethnic minority backgrounds have been harder-hit, and also people who are overweight, but seeing one pic after another of an overweight person or a non-white person is quite sobering.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The BBC has a kind of photo tribute to people who've died, they are randomly showing 100 pics you can scroll through while reading a few lines about each person.

I looked through the first hundred last night - we all know that people from black and ethnic minority backgrounds have been harder-hit, and also people who are overweight, but seeing one pic after another of an overweight person or a non-white person is quite sobering.
Maybe this will kick the country into a bit of a healthier lifestyle, which it could definitely do with. The amount of overweight people is shocking.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Got my oximeter today. 99%

the wife’s at 97% and she’s annoyed:smirk:
I'm getting a consistent 95% and I'm fecking furious, considering I run or walk almost every day, and by walk I mean 15-20 miles, any terrain, lots of ascent. I know it's not the oximeter because the rest of the family is getting 97-99%. Mrs is 97% and she does feck-all. Grrr.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This guy is actually starting to get on my tits. It's as though he's chosen a narrative and is only interested in facts that fit that narrative. Which is a terrible way for a scientist to behave.

To address what he's saying:

"Serology shows between 5 and 20% previously exposed"

Completely untrue. But he's obviously distorting the facts to fit his previous prediction of 50% positive with serology. There's not a single nationwide serological survey that's reached double digits. The vast majority are between 1 and 5% (with only the very worst hit countries reaching 5%) Individual cities in these countries have been as high as 19% (e.g. NYC) but that's beside the point when you're talking about population prevalence.

"We could have an immune passport based on T cells"

The reason we can't have an immune passport based on serology is the difficulty in getting a test that has the accuracy needed to be absolutely certain that it won't give a false positive. And he's now suggesting we could somehow create a test for a much more difficult/complicated target to identify that would be MORE accurate than the serological testing. Pull the other one, Prof.

"People with SARS/MERS might never get coronavirus"

Who gives a shit? That's an insignificantly tiny number of people. What would be quite cool would be if people who had previously been infected with the coronavirus that causes the common cold had some sort of partial immunity to SARSCOV2. Even if that was the case we would already be getting the benefits of this in the way the virus has spread around the world. And one thing we can say without a shadow of a doubt, is that the virus has had very little problem spreading around the world!

I'm all for a bit of positivity but your man is obviously getting a social media boner by being the cheerleader for all things positive about covid. He's loving live as the main man in that particular echo chamber. He needs to take a step back, read all the available science, and try to be a bit more balanced.

Rant over...

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Maybe this will kick the country into a bit of a healthier lifestyle, which it could definitely do with. The amount of overweight people is shocking.
Well, the fat folk can in almost all cases improve things for themselves, but there needs to be loads of thought put into how people from BAME heritages can be protected. I think vaccines should first be given to non-white people and the overweight (as well as healthcare workers, of course).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm getting a consistent 95% and I'm fecking furious, considering I run or walk almost every day, and by walk I mean 15-20 miles, any terrain, lots of ascent. I know it's not the oximeter because the rest of the family is getting 97-99%. Mrs is 97% and she does feck-all. Grrr.
Manly hands. Go with the manly hands defence.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This guy is actually starting to get on my tits. It's as though he's chosen a narrative and is only interested in facts that fit that narrative. Which is a terrible way for a scientist to behave.

To address what he's saying:

"Serology shows between 5 and 20% previously exposed"

Completely untrue. But he's obviously distorting the facts to fit his previous prediction of 50% positive with serology. There's not a single nationwide serological survey that's reached double digits. The vast majority are between 1 and 5% (with only the very worst hit countries reaching 5%) Individual cities in these countries have been as high as 19% (e.g. NYC) but that's beside the point when you're talking about population prevalence.

"We could have an immune passport based on T cells"

The reason we can't have an immune passport based on serology is the difficulty in getting a test that has the accuracy needed to be absolutely certain that it won't give a false positive. And he's now suggesting we could somehow create a test for a much more difficult/complicated target to identify that would be MORE accurate than the serological testing. Pull the other one, Prof.

"People with SARS/MERS might never get coronavirus"

Who gives a shit? That's an insignificantly tiny number of people. What would be quite cool would be if people who had previously been infected with the coronavirus that causes the common cold had some sort of partial immunity to SARSCOV2. Even if that was the case we would already be getting the benefits of this in the way the virus has spread around the world. And one thing we can say without a shadow of a doubt, is that the virus has had very little problem spreading around the world!

I'm all for a bit of positivity but your man is obviously getting a social media boner by being the cheerleader for all things positive about covid. He's loving live as the main man in that particular echo chamber. He needs to take a step back, read all the available science, and try to be a bit more balanced.

Rant over...
Not just him saying it.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3

0le

Proof that supporting United may damage your long term health. :lol:

Tibs

Queuing for fecking KFC, McDonalds....just shows how many basic people there are.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not just him saying it.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3
That’s the same publication he’s talking about. I’ve read it. I posted about the pre-publication version in this thread last Friday.

Don’t get me wrong. It is good news but he’s making wild assumptions based on that research that nobody else is (see above re “T cell immunity passport” :rolleyes:) And, as I said, partial immunity for people who’ve previously infected with a different coronavirus is a good thing but hasn’t stopped the virus spreading like wildfire until now. So won’t stop it spreading like wildfire in the future.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Queuing for fecking KFC, McDonalds....just shows how many basic people there are.
You know how some modern people turn up to meet a truly third-rate celebrity when they're desperately flogging their book* in a mall? Well, I wonder if these fast food queues are much the same thing - hoping to be photographed, and then seen on social media.

*For example, Katie Price gave away tins of Quality Street with 'live' purchased copies of her 497th autobiography.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
possibly... that said i fully expect traffic jams around mcdonalds when they re-open
Just drove past a KFC that’s open. It’s within a small retail park and the queue for the drive-thru runs around the entire car park.

Tibs

You know how some modern people turn up to meet a truly third-rate celebrity when they're desperately flogging their book* in a mall? Well, I wonder if these fast food queues are much the same thing - hoping to be photographed, and then seen on social media.

*For example, Katie Price gave away tins of Quality Street with 'live' purchased copies of her 497th autobiography.
A big part of it is the social media aspect I would say. For weeks a lot of these people (not all, but defo some) have been stuck at home, less likes and comments on their social media as they've had nothing to do, and they really depend on that. As soon as the opportunity presents itself, they're there.

A few people I know where practically posting themselves naked for likes a couple of weeks ago, and this week, McDonalds, KFC, Beach trip, meeting up with friends....

Social Media eh

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A big part of it is the social media aspect I would say. For weeks a lot of these people (not all, but defo some) have been stuck at home, less likes and comments on their social media as they've had nothing to do, and they really depend on that. As soon as the opportunity presents itself, they're there.

A few people I know where practically posting themselves naked for likes a couple of weeks ago, and this week, McDonalds, KFC, Beach trip, meeting up with friends....

Social Media eh
In the modern world, many spend their lives convincing others that they have lives.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Wolverine

This guy is actually starting to get on my tits.
Rant over...
Yeah the immune passport thing among others was insane.
Despite having a pretty impressive oncology resume he's a pretty major quackery advocate - https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Karol_Sikora
In addition to being told off by Imperial college by straight up lying during testimony to a Commons health select committee that he was a professor of oncology at Imperial college (has never been) and later lied about lying - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/may/22/karol-sikora-honorary-professor-imperial-college
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmhealth/194i/09012906.htm

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
:lol: Loser

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah the immune passport thing among others was insane.
Despite having a pretty impressive oncology resume he's a pretty major quackery advocate - https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Karol_Sikora
In addition to being told off by Imperial college by straight up lying during testimony to a Commons health select committee that he was a professor of oncology at Imperial college (has never been) and later lied about lying - https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/may/22/karol-sikora-honorary-professor-imperial-college
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmhealth/194i/09012906.htm
Ah. Well there you go. My spidey senses feel vindicated.

worldgonemad

I think the assumption was that Patient A may have several tests during a hospital stay. That accounted for the difference.

I doubt anyone thought two tests at the same time was the reason.

It’s just another example of what cnuts they are. “Aha! We said 100,000 tests a day. Not people! I have bested you in a battle of wits!”

No. You’re lying scumbags that I’d gladly see dead.

That’s not overly dramatic either. If the entire Cabinet died tomorrow in a tragic Zoom related electrocution, I’d raise a glass. They are knowingly killing people and have been doing so for months.

feck the Conservative party, and anyone that voted for Boris.

[I shouldn’t have to say it. Of course there are great people that lean and vote right. But if you voted for that piece of shit and still defend it, you’re a corruptive voter, blocking this countries progress]

[Shouldn’t have to say this either : Corbyn was unelectable and has nothing to do with the above]

Going to have to comment on this @UnrelatedPsuedo . I think the figures each day have been both listing the number of tests , and also seperatley the number of people tested so i dont really see how there has been any hiding of the figures .

Second bolded bit . Really ? Thats a pretty poor standard youre setting, ansd i,m sure you can do better than that .

3rd Bolded bit . Every government ever presides over deaths of its people , policy dictates that be it social care , military , education or whatever . You seem to be of the mindset that our government seems to be happy with the death numbers and is somehow gloating behind the scenes .

Theyve fecked up in some ways for sure , will there be enquiries ? Of course . And hopefully lessons will be learned , globally as well . I,m no sheep , no blinded tory either for what its worth . If our government is weak its a terrible indictment of the even worse opposition we have had in this country for so long . Perhaps rather than slating anyone who voted for boris it might be worth focussing your thoughts on why die hard generations of labour voters felt they had no option but to vote blue rather than red .

This terrible global shitshow is hell enough without wishing death on people trying to do their best . Criticise by all means , hopefully be constructive while doing it , but to be wishing death when there has already been more than enough leaves a pretty poor taste in my opinion

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'd call it straight up murder. Really hope they catch the piece of shit that did that.
And lock them up for a very long time, same as that case in the London train station recently, though I haven't heard if they caught the person who caused that.

This sort of thing isn't manslaughter either - if you have a deadly virus and spit at someone then you're actively trying to pass that virus on with the potential to kill them.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
From what date could we see an increase in numbers with the decreased lockdown measures/general public stupidity?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

If I had to pick the next 365 people to die in this country, then yes I’d start with Boris and the rest of the Elected Conservative MP’s can follow.

feck. All of them.

People need to start getting angry. Really angry.

351 people died yesterday. But I’m callous for saying I’d raise a glass if we lost Boris, Raab, Hancock, Patel tomorrow? Far better people than that are dying every day.

Obviously I wouldn’t have them shot. Hence the darkly jovial zoom electrocution comment. But they are the worst of people. Disgusting human beings.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We will have to learn to live with this virus for the foreseeable future, until a vaccine is available so at what point do we have to get back to some semblance of normality?
We can’t stay away from others & friends & family indefinitely?

Business & the economy just wouldn’t cope & the economic impact will actually soon prove a greater toll on health than Covid.

It’s not as simple as saying ‘ just stay indoors & don’t go anywhere until the virus is gone- that’s not an option
The fact that the old normal couldn’t survive this without the entire house of cards catching light and burning all at once... means we shouldn’t try to rebuild it.

Decades bitching about the minimum wage, social security safety net.... had a higher level of what we see as the poverty line been accepted, and we ensured that EVERYONE lived above it... we’d have far fewer problems now.

Shit, I bet raising all wages under £30k by 20%, while passing legislation to ensure it stayed in those peoples pockets, and social systems to support all, would have cost less than this recession will. It would have also left us better prepared to handle it.

If we just attempt to go back to normal, and a majority of this country stand around thanking the Tories for 100,000 people dying, I’m done with it.

If this period doesn’t see expansive change as a result, we deserve everything we get.

Snafu17

Apparently congregations in public areas of up to 500 people might be allowed from the middle of June onwards in Slovenia. We've had 4 new confirmed cases in the past week.

My local hospital in Lombardy announced today that for the first time since this began their intensive care unit of almost 50 beds is empty. Hope it stays that way.