SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I ran a predicted number of excess deaths not counting CV19 in the US, (CDC) and got a range of 22-45k excess deaths. We cannot attribute all of these to CV19 directly and there is a large range of uncertainty, but there is a lot of room there for underreporting don't you think?

GloryHunter07

Going by the groups in our local park you would think theyd found a vaccine.

We get what we deserve.

DVG7

As far as I can tell, we have eradicated Covid. Congrats planet.

Hanks

COVID seems finished here in Poland. At least on the surface...definitely feels most people have moved on with life.

Today was the first day without mandatory mask law, and the streets and rynek looked identical to how it would on a normal spring/summer day. Everyone out enjoying the atmosphere, live music playing, people dancing with each other etc. Basically, if Nightclubs were open, you wouldn't know something such as Corona exists anymore outside. Had a coffee and cake with my friend this evening , sitting outside a cafe right at the market square...talking about life, and watching the talent pass by. Perfect day, though slightly chilly.

Not gonna lie, pleasant surprise as just 6 weeks ago we had helicopters in the sky monitoring people to ensure no more than 2 gather. The daily # of new cases since those days has no changed, despite increased testing AND massively fewer restrictions and distancing now. I feel like it's been floating at 300-400 a day for almost 6 weeks now.

Starting June 19, footy stadiums can have 25% of their capacity for the games too.

djembatheking

As far as I can tell, we have eradicated Covid. Congrats planet.
Great news , I`ll go and tell my 80 year old father in law and my 77 year old mother in law they can finally go out . They have been stuck at home for ten weeks now and he has got Alzheimers and sleep apnoea and been asking my mother in law every 5 mins why they can`t go out. Best news all day .

Hanks

Everything seems to be pointing toward an increase in numbers so why are they so keen to go ahead?
Over 80% of the hospital beds are free and empty. Plus, now that it appears the mortality rate of the virus is far lower than first feared, I think the thinking is: "Well, even if you get sick, you're most likely to recover anyways. Just like any other illness."

Plus, we had lots protests by business owners, just overall mood in the society was increasingly frustrated and impatient and it was reflecting in daily behaviors approval ratings I suppose. A feel that if restrictions weren't officially loosened, then mass disobeyal would follow short of putting tanks on the streets and declaring martial law. And, I read a poll that in Poland, trust in Health Experts, Government and the Media are at a maximum low compared to most other countries when it comes to Covid news.

No complaints here though :) , pleasantly surprised and looks like the summer won't be a bum as first feared :cool:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fully suspect the gov is gearing up to open things as soon as poss and twist everything they can to make it look like they did a great job getting the country back up and running quickly.

They’ll be more than prepared to accept a decent amount of deaths going forward as they already know their supporters are accepting the current ridiculous death rate, so they’ll still be prepared to overlook it.
What's more they're lying about, and hiding, the numbers so they'll be doing the same if there's a surge or second wave.

DVG7

Great news , I`ll go and tell my 80 year old father in law and my 77 year old mother in law they can finally go out . They have been stuck at home for ten weeks now and he has got Alzheimers and sleep apnoea and been asking my mother in law every 5 mins why they can`t go out. Best news all day .
Yup, it’s quiet surprising how quickly it vanished in the end. Daily mail breaking the news tomorrow that we can resume life as normal so must be a good sign.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It doesn’t truly kill tourism spend. Many Kiwis are affluent. Some even have like minded friends.

They can’t travel out. New Zealand is kicking off a huge ‘Holiday in your Country’ scheme.

It’s probably the most beautiful country on earth. All of the places that are normally busy with tourists they get to themselves. Everyone owns a car, flights are reasonable. They’ll keep lots of the money in their own economy.

Great Covid measures. Even better big picture steps.
That’s just money being transferred internally, it won’t actually solve the issue which is lack of significant influx of money from the outside. Though the fact New Zealanders won’t spend that money outside of their country will help. I’d imagine that the net travel spend in case of NZ/AU is definitely positive for them (basically more money is brought into those countries by foreign tourists than is left by their tourists outside of country). In case of country like Poland this will probably help as we have more people traveling outside than people coming in, I would imagine.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don’t think there’s a country in the world that can sustain its tourism industry based on domestic tourism alone. Certainly not countries as sparsely populated as NZ/Aus.

The whole point of tourism - in terms of boosting the national economy - is to cause a flow of money into the country from abroad. If the only money being spent on tourism comes out of other domestic industries that won’t be sustainable.
I agree. NZ relies on Tourism heavily as a function of GDP.

Many Kiwis take lots of money overseas though. Fiji is their closest neighbouring country. People routinely flock out that way. As well as to the neighbouring Pacific Islands too. That’s now off limits. Australia is for a while too.

They have a culture built around second homes that they retreat to for the month long period of almost-national summer holiday. That allows people to move around, rent a home out, rent someone else’s elsewhere. Money will keep flowing.

Their industries haven’t been hit as hard either. I know so many people out there and everyone is still employed, as are the people they know.

So of course, they need tourism dollars. Cruise Ships being absent will hit the Auckland restaurants hard.

But they have enough internal tourism to fill up all of the regions, for all of their popular seasons. They’ll do far better out of this than almost all countries in the short term. Ski season will be huge this year. They’ll thrive. Queenstown is a horror show with tourists at times. I’d love to go this year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There’s been so much about this pandemic that makes it seem like the whole thing has been perfectly designed to feck with us.

The latest twist is a heat wave and civil unrest combining to create throngs of people on top of each other, all over the world, at the exact moment when the virus is ready to pick up a head of steam for the second wave. Life is just crazy right now. You couldn’t write it.

DavidDeSchmikes

There’s been so much about this pandemic that makes it seem like the whole thing has been perfectly designed to feck with us.

The latest twist is a heat wave and civil unrest combining to create throngs of people on top of each other, all over the world, at the exact moment when the virus is ready to pick up a head of steam for the second wave. Life is just crazy right now. You couldn’t write it.
Within a few days, the idea of social distancing has gone out the window.

DVG7

Within a few days, the idea of social distancing has gone out the window.
it actually comes down to behavioural psychology. The most recent reliable studies around habitual change state that for lasting behavioural change, you are looking at a minimum of 3 months of repetitive action before it becomes a permanent aspect of your life. We aren’t at the 3 month stage and there are also lots of other variables, but it’s no surprise that people will just go back to normal. Most people’s brain just don’t know better.

If lockdown had lasted 5-6 months, we would almost certainly have seen a lasting shift in the mentality of the masses.

DavidDeSchmikes

it actually comes down to behavioural psychology. The most recent reliable studies around habitual change state that for lasting behavioural change, you are looking at a minimum of 3 months of repetitive action before it becomes a permanent aspect of your life. We aren’t at the 3 month stage and there are also lots of other variables, but it’s no surprise that people will just go back to normal. Most people’s brain just don’t know better.

If lockdown had lasted 5-6 months, we would almost certainly have seen a lasting shift in the mentality of the masses.
Plus with the Cummings debacle, and the shift from stay home to stay alert, it contributes to the shift

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Social distancing was never going to be feasible in the summer. It might be sellable in November if people start getting sick en masse again

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is this the government's second attempt at herd mentality, only this time with some experience rather than theory? There will be a second wave undoubtedly, but those at risk and those that live with at risk people will now be the weary ones that self isolate and the rest can get on with their lives (for want of a better phrase), specially if these dastardly anti body tests can be rolled out quicker.

One thing they haven't factored in yet is the chronic fatigue lasting months that a silent but large minority are suffering and that number will rise and become more prominent soon enough. I guess if they're not dying then they also will be managed over time.

SteveJ

Scout
ITV said:
2.2 million people who’ve been shielding can go outside for first time tomorrow. Either with members of household, or if they live alone to meet 1 person.

PM says “I don’t underestimate just how difficult it has been for you...I want to pay tribute to your resilience”
The government's messaging switches from 'You MUST do this' to 'Make up your own mind about that' and back. It's emblematic of an administration which is, at once, naturally authoritarian yet also afraid to commit itself in case of future criticism.

Steven Seagull

Social distancing was never going to be feasible in the summer. It might be sellable in November if people start getting sick en masse again
In the UK? I’m not confident about that. Surely people are more likely to distance and wait outside Wilkinsons when the weather is good. When it’s cold people will still visit each other but they won’t sit in the garden. Not sure. Interesting case study

Steven Seagull

The government's messaging switches from 'You MUST do this' to 'Make up your own mind about that' and back. It's emblematic of an administration which is, at once, naturally authoritarian yet also afraid to commit itself in case of future criticism.
I agree Steve they’ve been a total shambles but the point is we will have to learn to deal with this ourselves. The governments lack of action has forced us to sort it ourselves and the faster we learn to make decisions ourselves the better.

I don’t know how we get out of this mess but relying on government messaging is probably the last thing we should do.

Lj82

I don’t think there’s a country in the world that can sustain its tourism industry based on domestic tourism alone. Certainly not countries as sparsely populated as NZ/Aus.

The whole point of tourism - in terms of boosting the national economy - is to cause a flow of money into the country from abroad. If the only money being spent on tourism comes out of other domestic industries that won’t be sustainable.
What we are likely to see is countries who has succeeded in bringing cases down to a low level begin opening up to each other.

Countries who lift their lock down early and continue to have a high rate of infection is unlikely to see large number of tourists flocking there anyway. I was joking with my wife that our holiday plans for the next year or two will be alternating between Nz/Aus.

Steven Seagull

What we are likely to see is countries who has succeeded in bringing cases down to a low level begin opening up to each other.

Countries who lift their lock down early and continue to have a high rate of infection is unlikely to see large number of tourists flocking there anyway. I was joking with my wife that our holiday plans for the next year or two will be alternating between Nz/Aus.
Yeah that will be sensible and perfectly fair, but the reason these places make so much money from tourism is because thousands of people from the west flock there via London Madrid and New York. And if Europeans and Americans aren’t going, half these places aren’t opening

SteveJ

Scout
Bizarre of the government to adjust the shielding advice, effectively overnight.

Really bizarre.
Trying to displace critical Sunday newspaper headlines perhaps?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
UK 215 deaths and 2445 cases

This week Sun-Fri 1701 deaths
Last week Sun-Fri 2209 deaths

So 500 less than last week so far
1700 deaths is still terrible and far too high to consider reducing restrictions.

Australia is only just relaxing restrictions when they have a handful of new infections daily with very close to zero community transmissions and a total of 103 deaths (not per week).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was joking with my wife that our holiday plans for the next year or two will be alternating between NZ/Aus.
It will be interesting to see who we allow in. We are worried that we may not be able to see our son who is in California for who knows how long.

Lj82

Yeah that will be sensible and perfectly fair, but the reason these places make so much money from tourism is because thousands of people from the west flock there via London Madrid and New York. And if Europeans and Americans aren’t going, half these places aren’t opening
You talking about European tourist spots?
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think Aus/Nz IRAs getting more Chinese tourists nowadays. Ironically, China is likely to be one of the countries deemed "safe" to open up to.

Lj82

It will be interesting to see who we allow in. We are worried that we may not be able to see our son who is in California for who knows how long.
I remember you said that your son is in California for studies now? He didn't leave for Australia? We flew back to Singapore on the last flight out of SFO

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I remember you said that your son is in California for studies now? He didn't leave for Australia? We flew back to Singapore on the last flight out of SFO
No. He wanted to stay. He is on a sport scholarship and he didn't want to be stuck in Australia and mlss the fall NCAA season. Of course it may well get cancelled now.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You talking about European tourist spots?
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think Aus/Nz IRAs getting more Chinese tourists nowadays. Ironically, China is likely to be one of the countries deemed "safe" to open up to.
I think Australia had roughly 8.5 million international tourists last year. Interestingly, about 4 million came from China, Japan, SK, HK, Singapore and NZ, all countries which could reasonably have their tourists allowed in the short to medium term.

Though of course everyone in those countries are more likely tp be undertaking more domestic tourism themselves in the near future you feel.