SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Heardy

Genuinely concerned at all the pictures of people congregating at beaches or protesting in mass numbers in London.

The situation feels far too fragile for people to give such little consideration to social distancing right now!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Genuinely concerned at all the pictures of people congregating at beaches or protesting in mass numbers in London.

The situation feels far too fragile for people to give such little consideration to social distancing right now!
I’ve just posted in another thread that my little Derbyshire village was absolutely rammed today. The word rammed doesn’t actually fully convey just how busy it’s been. We’ve stayed inside and in our garden pretty much the whole weekend.

If this is happening all over then another spike is almost inevitable.

Smores

More and more experts and professional bodies are coming out against the speed of the governments plans but it's barely getting coverage. It seems like because it's not positive people don't want to hear it.

The only thing that will get the public to listen again is rising deaths and maybe not till there's very high numbers again.

F-Red

More and more experts and professional bodies are coming out against the speed of the governments plans but it's barely getting coverage.
It's old news now, given that they were seeing this just as lockdown was kicking in. It'll be brought up again in the endless enquiries that will come in the next 1-2 years after this.

djembatheking

I am amazed at how quickly this covid 19 stuff has just faded away . It seems everywhere you look that social distancing has just stopped , got to say that it is brilliant though . Thankfully the virus seems to have run out of steam . Time to enjoy the summer .

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I am amazed at how quickly this covid 19 stuff has just faded away . It seems everywhere you look that social distancing has just stopped , got to say that it is brilliant though . Thankfully the virus seems to have run out of steam . Time to enjoy the summer .
Would love to know where on earth you get that idea from? Virus has not gone anywhere.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The excess deaths have started going up again all around the country except only Scotland according to FT data.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The only reason 'the virus has disappeared' is because people can't see it. If it ballooned your face up, or turned your eyes red, folks wouldn't be on the beaches.

Irwin99

If there's a big enough spike would the general population be more swayed by a Sweden style lockdown? The weather is going to get warmer, people are already tired and fatigued and I can see some of them saying 'feck that!' to another lockdown. I'm not saying it's right by any means but I just wonder if people could tolerate another lockdown. I've been genuinely shocked by the past week or so by the amount of people who just seem to be giving up on social distancing.

Berbaclass

If there's a big enough spike would the general population be more swayed by a Sweden style lockdown? The weather is going to get warmer, people are already tired and fatigued and I can see some of them saying 'feck that!' to another lockdown. I'm not saying it's right by any means but I just wonder if people could tolerate another lockdown. I've been genuinely shocked by the past week or so by the amount of people who just seem to be giving up on social distancing.
I think that the government have dug themselves into a hole, they've already said it would be bad for the economy to come out of lockdown too soon. Like you say though people are tired of it and due to recent events are less likely to follow the rules. They've obviously handled it so poorly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They're short-termists, and it shows.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
apology for poor english

when were you when covid dies

i was sat at home distancing social when djemba post

'covid is die'

'no'

and you?

Berbaclass

Yes - I'm expecting to be us course for a second shut down within next two months and I have no idea how they are going to sell this to the nation.
It will get worse enough to constitute such measures but I'm convinced that they won't shut everything down again. There seems to be zero logic behind any of their decisions.

djembatheking

apology for poor english

when were you when covid dies

i was sat at home distancing social when djemba post

'covid is die'

'no'

and you?
But people that were shielding and self isolating have been told they can go out , beaches are packed , Countries all over Europe are lifting restrictions , Americans are breathing all over each other , why aren`t people becoming ill?

United Hobbit

They are rushing it in my opinion, all his words about being careful and taking very slow steps seem to have gone out the window, youd think he would be more cautious as he had it himself

It's the fact you cant account for the stupidity of other people, the hot weather doesnt help as its making everyone rush to be outside

Had a week off last week, have been putting off going to the tip as wanted the initial rush to die down, however decided to brave it last week as had a full car load of garden waste, had seen the queues were still awful as drive past it to get somewhere else however as had nowhere to be decided to get it done. Hour and a half we were in the queue fortunately I was the passenger so following a tip off took my kindle! It was used! However while waiting in the queue, our car at least blatantly full of rubbish, someone drove past the waiting cars, also full of bin bags and tried to force their way into the gap the queue had left to account for traffic coming the other way to get round the traffic island. She then blocked the gap by the traffic island and had to reverse all the way to the back of the queue :lol: as clearly we were all sat in the queue with full bin bags for the fun of it!

Also I'm still trying to social distance, trotted round the albeit annoying one way system in a petrol station store having to go all the way back round as I couldn't find something found it quiet annoying but fine it's for people safety. Went to go up a fairly narrow isle and there were two people stood, right in the centre of the lane so I couldn't get easily past did say can I come past Please they looked a little shocked at being asked to effectively stop blocking the isle. As I was going in heard the man controlling the queue thank a woman for being the first person he'd seen use the 1 way system, this was at 1pm.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
But people that were shielding and self isolating have been told they can go out , beaches are packed , Countries all over Europe are lifting restrictions , Americans are breathing all over each other , why aren`t people becoming ill?
The virus is still spreading although the rise of the spread has slowed down considerably. Let's not forget that virus can take up to 2 weeks before people show symptoms. The virus may well be dying off but I'm not going to take that leap off faith until there's more evidence to show that this is happening.

Dan_F

AHH so it's just Tory bullshit then ? If they had that capacity they would surely let anyone have a test, symptomatic or not.
It’s complete shit. My mum works in a care home. Spoke to her last week and they had two new people coming into the home. One of them is being forced in without a test and the other has ordered three different tests, two didn’t turn up and they lost the third. That person is now just being forced in as they can’t wait.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
give it a few weeks then we will see.

there are still hundreds dying every day from it, it hasn’t gone away

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There is a time lag due to inefficient reporting of numbers, the manner in which this spreads in clusters, and the delayed manifestation of symptoms. It is too early to say what you are saying with any authority, and besides in some places in America that opened up early cases are still rising.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
My only concern is politically motivated hastiness, which ignores the evidence and opinion of experts. This might be happening in the UK right now. Hopefully not.
That's a serious risk everywhere.

We had a court ruling mandatory quarantines for arrivals unlawful on our region. Our government reacted with "alternatives" that were even more harsh (5 tests in 15 days, etc) fitting the majority popular feeling that courts were interfering with public health by being excessively legalist, and also a strange idea that we could remain indefinitely isolated and become a "covid-free" region.

The opinion shifted massively in a few days, due to a lot of reasons. Many voices came in support of the courts decision (I made my contribution on this too, on some widely shared posts in social media). That, coupled with the fact that we're nearly Covid-free and are massively dependent on tourism, made a lot of small and large enterpreneurs become more active and less fearful. Now that the opinions are more balanced, the government suddenly lifts nearly all restrictions on arrivals, going a lot further than what the court demanded.

All this happened in 10 days. Such a rapid shift in policy is somewhat scary, and makes me fear that they are taking the measures (which are coincidently correct, in my opinion, in this instance) for the wrong reasons. We have elections in October.

arnie_ni

Why is boris skipping steps?

Is it to try and take the limelight of Cummings?

With sports events happening and the vulnerable allowed out we've jumped to alert level 1

Berbaclass

Why is boris skipping steps?

Is it to try and take the limelight of Cummings?

With sports events happening and the vulnerable allowed out we've jumped to alert level 1
Add to that the fact that R is apparently at or very close to 1 according to scientists. None of it makes any sense.

RonaldoVII

What's the problem? Those shielding have the option of leaving the house for a walk or something whilst keeping distance from anyone. Boris isn't sending them into the fighting pits.

The mass protests in London and Manchester will do far more damage to transmission rates.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
People have to make their own decisions. Just because the government says you can go out it doesn’t mean you have to.

Common sense is the best weapon in this world and if other idiots want to head out and mingle just let them try the herd immunity route. If you know how sensible your family members are you can make your own judgements.

AaronRedDevil

People have to make their own decisions. Just because the government says you can go out it doesn’t mean you have to.

Common sense is the best weapon in this world and if other idiots want to head out and mingle just let them try the herd immunity route. If you know how sensible your family members are you can make your own judgements.
Sadly common sense isn’t taught in schools, so not many know anything about sense.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff

Exactly right, but many people equate "you can go out" with "there's no problem now", because it's what they want to believe.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

If people see we have jumped from alert level 4 to 1 overnight theyll think theres no problem.

They'll see kids going back to school, footballers back training and think its all over.

Virgil

Excellent post. Sadly there are idiots throughout the world who are not phased by the pandemic and never will be. So at the end of the day all countries are/will have to grit their teeth in an attempt to limit the severity of the recessions. It’s no good pontificating and wringing hands about the need to look after the poor, disabled and disadvantaged if the money continues to dry up. Me and mine will probably not help the situation either. My wife and I are in the at risk category but like a lot of our generation we are lucky to have disposable income but be buggered if we are going to want to fly in a tin coffin for 3 or more hours any time in the future. Similarly sod shopping in the high street. We will get by with online. As for walking into a Starbucks or Costa.....forget it. Now many will adopt the same attitude. For every idiot there is a sensible person that will act with caution in the future. The world has been and will continue to be hit hard. I really do have enormous sympathy for the younger generations. Even a decent left wing government is going to be in desperate financial straights for years to come. The only thing I shall really miss is goodbye to the United season ticket. My days of going to Old Trafford are gone and I don’t think I will be the only one.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

Unless you work in a school. Or you cannot work from home and your boss decides that you are not shielding anymore so you need to go to work. Not everyone can work from home.

There are many scenarios where someone who wants to shield may not be able to "use their common sense" now because of this change in policy.