SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Welsh government First Minister Mark Drakeford:

'Dealing with the UK government has been "an utterly shambolic experience."

Mr Drakeford says this new arrangement is an example of the UK government announcing policy without thinking it through beforehand.

"It's been an impossible experience to follow."

"I haven't had any contact with the Prime Minister since I was last asked."

Mr Drakeford said he's "lost count" of the number of weeks since their last conversation.'

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And Croatia. Guess that 100% ends my holiday chances for this year. Was already at 95% tbf.
If I decide on going abroad this summer (or even at any point during this pandemic) I'll be booking on the 11th hour (and sticking to Europe).

If I booked in advance instead of looking forward to go like in the past I'd be spending the whole build up worrying it would all go tits up because I pick up a cough.

redshaw

Netherlands is similar to UK on not wearing masks but they're not included in the graph. They've brought the numbers down without wearing them.

Maticmaker

"What are the positives" (as football managers often say) we can take from the Covid-19 situation, especially in respect of our children and some young adults.

For example how much do children learn through experience and how much through structured learning?

Clearly the present Covid-19 situation has slanted that argument away from structured learning (in school) toward learning from experience, gained mainly at home, via quite a lot through enforced exposure to media, news coverage etc. Children will now know more about viruses, pandemics, testing and tracing, what constitutes 'front line' workers and the dangers for medical staff and other essential workers. If prior to Covid-19 you asked most children what PPE stands for they would probably not know much about it, but now the will be able to tell you about visors, masks (surgical or other wise,) aprons, gloves overshoes, etc.
Many children will have learned a lot more about their parents, not as parents so much as teachers, they will perhaps have learned how to manipulate mum and dad in ways different to the norm; they will also have learned (perhaps painfully) how to, (or not) to get along with their siblings when they face 24/7 exposure in a confined space. They will have learned the benefits of community actions, from the Thursday night applause for front line staff, to visiting albeit at a distance, lonely and vulnerable people living nearby who genuinely did need help as well as company.

In the midst of all the negatives, lets hope someone somewhere is attempting to 'tot up' the positives, anyone else want to join in?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Haven't posted in this thread for a while (sorry but there was errrr Football on... :annoyed:) but thought when they announced pubs were reopening on July 4th and I saw that was a Saturday it felt like such a stupid thing to do. See some are getting go ahead to open at 6am! We've seen with the beaches in last few weeks it will just be like cattle let loose from a farm.

Going to avoid going into one like the plague for next month. If track and trace can't properly be implemented I don't hold up much hope for the pub apps and taking details of whoever turns up all running smoothly. Also don't understand them showing football especially as they've told people not to say anything when a goal goes in.:lol:

May venture into one in August but even then it will just be for a light lunch at a quiet time like 2pm, certainly ain't going to any in an evening for a pretty long time. They need punters back but again like most restrictions being lifted it feels a few weeks too early.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say I've misssed the daily briefing, seems to have made a bit of a comeback. Second time in two days it's been on after a week's break. Useful at least for keeping up with the daily death race as I've forgot to check it a few times in last week.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Is colour indicated by frequency by how often one wears a mask? Because I look at the figure from Denmark and I just spent a day in the city and I counted 1 mask. No way we are even close to 60% or even 20.

Withnail

So they go into bars and restaurants and remove their masks every time they take a bite of food or drink and then put it on again?
It makes absolutely no sense. The mask would be off as much as it was on.

I went to the pub on Monday for a meal as it happens.

It was quiet enough and there were only 4 of 5 tables of people in the whole place so nobody near us.

We were only allowed to be there with a reservation and to stay for 1hr 45mins. We left around then anyway but I'm not sure they were being that strict with it.

Although, there was a high table with four aul lads sitting there drinking pints, which isn't supposed to be allowed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is colour indicated by frequency by how often one wears a mask? Because I look at the figure from Denmark and I just spent a day in the city and I counted 1 mask. No way we are even close to 60% or even 20.
I could be wrong but the colours seem to represent the continents or areas on the globe.

Gehrman

I could be wrong but the colours seem to represent the continents or areas on the globe.
It simply cannot be true for Denmark, having spent considerable time in Copenhagen, Aalborg(the closest city to me) and the village I live in. There is no obligation from the authorities to weark masks here because our infection rate is so low. I would struggle to believe that even 10% wear masks frequently outside their homes.

JPRouve

Scout
It simply cannot be true for Denmark, having spent considerable time in Copenhagen, Aalborg(the closest city to me) and the village I live in. There is no obligation from the authorities to weark masks here because our infection rate is so low. I would struggle to believe that even 10% wear masks frequently outside their homes.
I simply answered your question about colours. All the yellow are in Asia-Oceania, all the blue are in Europe and all the red are in North/South America.

Gehrman

I simply answered your question about colours. All the yellow are in Asia-Oceania, all the blue are in Europe and all the red are in North/South America.
Yeah I know. I just wonder where they got the figure from.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t believe the numbers from the Americas either, for what it’s worth

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So they go into bars and restaurants and remove their masks every time they take a bite of food or drink and then put it on again?
Thailand was third country in world to get the virus, during its high tourist season. Bangkok has massive international air traffic, upon which the country is massively dependent upon. Thailand Covid19 results: 3180 cases, 58 deaths. (currently less than 10 new cases per day)

After all that, here is how they are implementing 'new normal' after their lockdown. And that's even with mask wearing already being accepted part of culture. But yeah, Britain always knows best.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I know. I just wonder where they got the figure from.
I don't know but the french figures are wrong. We have official stats on Geode, the last figures are from a month ago and it's at 49.5% nationally. Here you can see the map and the distribution.

Classical Mechanic

Thailand was third country in world to get the virus, during its high tourist season. Bangkok has massive international air traffic, upon which the country is massively dependent upon. Thailand Covid19 results: 3180 cases, 58 deaths. (currently less than 10 new cases per day)

After all that, here is how they are implementing 'new normal' after their lockdown. And that's even with mask wearing already being accepted part of culture. But yeah, Britain always knows best.

They’re not wearing masks when dining though. You can’t wear a mask in the pub. Whats the link? Is the tweeter suggesting that the US are wearing masks in pubs and restaurant?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Did anybody wear a mask when the sun never set on the British empire?

Did anybody wear a mask when we defeated Hitler?

Did anybody wear a mask when we won the World Cup?

Did anybody wear a mask when we defeated Brussels and Europe in 2016?

Wolverine

This is good, would be nice to roll this out to healthcare workers though too or at least answer for the rationale to why this testing was voted down for NHS staff

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This is good, would be nice to roll this out to healthcare workers though too or at least answer for the rationale to why this testing was voted down for NHS staff
Am i the only one that was under the assumption that this had been happening for the last 6+ weeks?

Wolverine

Am i the only one that was under the assumption that this had been happening for the last 6+ weeks?
Hmm I know that in England, all registered adult care homes could apply for coronavirus tests in addition to staff but you had to arrange them yourself and they weren't regularly done. It makes no sense not testing NHS staff regularly especially those in covid wards or in cancer/elderly wards

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeah it looks like he made some kind of mistake. The data comes from YouGov and Denmark have never gone above 10% (trends here).

These are the figures from June, split out by frequency:

As the figures come from an online survey they over-represent rich urban folks in the likes of Brazil or India, but you'd expect the data in Denmark to be vaguely representative of reality. It seems to jive with what you're saying: just 4% say they wear a mask even frequently.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Been out of this thread for a while but all we seem to hear about is cases going up in the US, what about deaths?
Trending down from 2000 a day back in mid-April to 700-odd now. The direction is positive but those are still very high numbers.

The spike in cases only started around two weeks ago so you'd expect the impact on deaths to start rolling in now, but as the infections are spreading among much younger people it's unlikely they're going to get back to the same death toll. While cases were plateauing at around 20k per day from mid-May until the spike in mid-June, deaths were falling from 1,500 to 750. At the same time deaths were falling from 600-odd in the UK to under 100 now, so while the death rate is falling it has already been slowed significantly by the persistently high case numbers.

There are a few hospitals in the hotspots that are close to being overwhelmed though, and there was a news article yesterday about doctors in Texas having to decide which of the young patients were in a better position to miss out on the urgent treatment, so if that hits crisis point it's another story.

Gehrman

Yeah it looks like he made some kind of mistake. The data comes from YouGov and Denmark have never gone above 10% (trends here).

As the figures come from an online survey they over-represent rich urban folks in the likes of Brazil or India, but you'd expect the data in Denmark to be vaguely representative of reality. It seems to jive with what you're saying: just 4% say they wear a mask even frequently.
Thanks for clearing that up!

redshaw

Oxford Expert Claims Their COVID-19 Vaccine Gives Off Long Term Immunity With Antibodies 3X Higher Than Recovered Patients
https://www.sciencetimes.com/articl...covid-19-vaccine-gives-long-term-immunity.htm

"Professor Sarah Gilbert, who runs the Oxford trials for their coronavirus vaccine candidate, claims their jab could provide protection that lasts for several years.

Additionally, she says their experimental vaccine has been found to generate antibody levels of up to three times more than those patients who recovered from COVID-19.

Professor Gilbert told the Commons Science and Technology Committee that there might be a better result from a vaccine than the natural immunity obtained when individuals recover from a virus.

She explains that vaccines have a different way of interacting with the immune system. Her team follows people in their studies utilizing the same type of technology to make the vaccines for several years. Moreover, she says they still see strong immune responses.

Gilbert says they are optimistic based on earlier studies. She says that they are hopeful of seeing a reasonable duration of immunity and probably even better than naturally-acquired protection.

Oxford's vaccine uses part of the pathogen's genetic code to get the body to identify and recognize the coronavirus. The jab is also designed to attack the virus if a person becomes infected with it."

Sorry if posted before.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

It's kinda a novelty to see people wear a mask in Denmark, yeah. I'd love for it to not be that way.