SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Don't Kill Bill

Reading about this on the BBC. It looks likely to be a more serious outbreak than first thought as it is probably human to human transmitted. This is apparently the seventh corona virus in humans and genetically most like SARS.

Hopefully it dies out quickly but I think this is most likely the kind of news you get at the start of the apocalypse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
My colleague's just gone to hospital with breathing difficulties after we just got back from the south of China :nervous:

Fosu-Mens

Reading about this on the BBC. It looks likely to be a more serious outbreak than first thought as it is probably human to human transmitted. This is apparently the seventh corona virus in humans and genetically most like SARS.

Hopefully it dies out quickly but I think this is most likely the kind of news you get at the start of the apocalypse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303
Until it is confirmed that it is efficiently transmittable between humans, it is not that worrisome.
Still, the farming communities in China are like a breeding ground for these types of viruses due to the amount of livestock (numbers game) and how they handle their livestock. And it is probable that if there ever comes an extremely dangerous xxxx-COV strain that spreads between humans, it will occur in some rural place in China.

Don't Kill Bill

Until it is confirmed that it is efficiently transmittable between humans, it is not that worrisome.
Still, the farming communities in China are like a breeding ground for these types of viruses due to the amount of livestock (numbers game) and how they handle their livestock. And it is probable that if there ever comes an extremely dangerous xxxx-COV strain that spreads between humans, it will occur in some rural place in China.
It hasn't been confirmed but the numbers suggest it most likely is transmitting between people.

Agree on the rest, I think some form of avian virus is the most likely to wipe us out.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm travelling to Istanbul on Tuesday, there's a lot of people from many different countries in that airport. :nervous:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Up until a week ago I was working somewhere with a lot of loaded Chinese students that can afford to travel back home a lot. Thank feck I'm not now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
With everybody traveling back home for Chinese New year we are about to find out if it spreads human to human and how infectious it is
Strolling through the airport. I watched far too many outbreak movies.

Don't Kill Bill

139 new confirmed cases and its spread to other cities. Looks more and more likely its spreading person to person. It is causing viral pneumonia but still very few fatalities.

starman

He really does have a tweet for every occasion, lets see how he handles this....

Luckily it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as dangerous to those who get it as SARS.

It would be interesting to know if the people who died were elderly/unwell.

predator

Youth NITK
If anyone is travelling to south east Asia and is worried then I will take your flight tickets off you for a cut price.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Why does this kind of shit always seem to be from China. Guess they're un hygienic with food/animals?
Given they're about a sixth of the world's population you'd expect them to be one of the most likely candidates right off the bat. Then if you account for living standards, how they might handle e.g. animals then it might be even more likely.
I don't know why it's not India though, they should be about as likely candidates.

fergieisold

Given they're about a sixth of the world's population you'd expect them to be one of the most likely candidates right off the bat. Then if you account for living standards, how they might handle e.g. animals then it might be even more likely.
I don't know why it's not India though, they should be about as likely candidates.
Not sure about India, although there are quite a lot of vegetarians over there?

Why does this kind of shit always seem to be from China. Guess they're un hygienic with food/animals?
If you're ever been to a Chinese market you'll understand. Live animals, dead animals, people, dirt, and general filth everywhere. You can smell them a mile away.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
:lol: Better to be safe than sorry.
My wife went a bit haywire setting up appointments at vaccination clinics ahead of our mid Feb trip to Manila.
2 minutes on Google and I found that there is no vaccination for this virus. Cancel all the appointments ;)

I too would like to know who's dying from it, elderly & sick or healthy folk? That information isn't so readily available.
Interesting to note too that the flu kills more people generally than these strains of viruses.
Yeah, I get that this story is still developing ......

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There's no virus. It a manipulative and calculated attempt, by the Chinese government, to infiltrate our eco-dna systems.

Seriously though, this could get pretty messy. Hoping it is taken care of fast.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
SARS II

This bird flu Wuhan type thing is nout compared to my usual real man flu, kin pussies. I even get a good bout of Ebola every year and does it effect me?! Does it buggery. Do you hear me complaining about it all the time?! Do you feck. I just get on with life and shower my flexible workplaces with my phlegm.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Entire city has been quarantined.

One of my colleagues just came back from China and another is on their way. :nervous:

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
In before the lock.....down of every major city and town on earth as we battle scenes similar to those seen in 28 days later :(.

Honest John

Plus the massive variety of animals eaten in China - basically if it moves, someone there will either find a recipe for it or some 'medicinal benefit'. That clearly increases the window of opportunity for these bugs.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Why do most of these mystery virus appear in China.
Because of the numbers of animals they farm and how they are kept, these viruses could mutate and evolve anywhere but as they are so widespread in Chinese animals and there are so many animals closely packed together statistically it is always more likely to start in China. On top of that unlike India which could have a similar situation, most Chinese animal markets are for live animals which are slaughtered and butchered there. Add that to high density population and advanced transport links and it is a recipe for disaster.

We currently live in Cambodia and have just had a warning letter from our children's school saying that lots of Chinese students will be heading home for Chinese New Year (Jan 24th) and there's a worry it will come back with them!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
How deadly is a virus that kills around 15 people in what I imagine has been around 1 month since onset?

Because of the numbers of animals they farm and how they are kept, these viruses could mutate and evolve anywhere but as they are so widespread in Chinese animals and there are so many animals closely packed together statistically it is always more likely to start in China. On top of that unlike India which could have a similar situation, most Chinese animal markets are for live animals which are slaughtered and butchered there. Add that to high density population and advanced transport links and it is a recipe for disaster.

We currently live in Cambodia and have just had a warning letter from our children's school saying that lots of Chinese students will be heading home for Chinese New Year (Jan 24th) and there's a worry it will come back with them!
Not anymore they're not. A second city just issued a travel ban. If it continues to get worse the whole country will shutdown by the weekend.