SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So what are you going to do to China then...duff them up?
Its thought process like this that cause wars.
Entire Global community has had their economies crippled by this - if you think afterwards changes won't be insisted upon within China you're insane / naive.

This is unprecedented right now. We're in uncharted territory, and we're there, Globally, because of one country's outdated practices ffs.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I mean with China and their live markets. After this it will be another virus and another. The future on an over populated planet is bleak as feck
I hope that when this is all over one of the things to come out of it is that we no longer pass clearly problematic things off as 'oh its just their culture'. If obviously disgusting and dangerous things are your culture, you need to change it.
Not a chance, its something that will develop as they develop as a country.
This seems very irresponsible. These marketplaces seem a breeding ground for these sorts of diseases and it seems it will keep happening. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

China's wildlife-farming industry, valued at $74 billion, has been permanently shut down.

On Monday, the nation's legislature banned the buying, selling, and eating of wild animals in an effort to prevent zoonotic diseases from jumping from animals to people.

The novel coronavirus, which has killed at least 2,700 people, is thought to have been transmitted to humans by pigs, civets, or pangolins at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China.

"There has been a growing concern among people over the consumption of wild animals and the hidden dangers it brings to public health security since the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak," Zhang Tiewei, a legislative spokesman, told Reuters Monday.

Zhang added that the decision came at a "critical moment for the epidemic prevention and control."
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-bans-wildlife-trade-consumption-coronavirus-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Entire Global community has had their economies crippled by this - if you think afterwards changes won't be insisted upon within China you're insane / naive.

This is unprecedented right now. We're in uncharted territory, and we're there, Globally, because of one countries outdated practice.

What exactly do you plan to do?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

This is unprecedented right now. We're in uncharted territory, and we're there, Globally, because of one country's outdated practices ffs.
You wont "force" a country like China to do anything, it appears they already have done this from within, how they police it I don't know

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You have to assume its to alleviate the difficulties families will find with having to stay off work looking after their kids.

Could spell trouble for the banks though
Yeah but if the lock down is only scheduled for a month, surely most family's will have sick pay for a month or the lock down wont effect their job contractually? I can see how certain sections of workers, non contractual staff or self employed would benefit, true. They are clearly planning this to take more than a month.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure of your point.

I'm commenting, on a forum, on what I predict will happen Globally, and what any sane person would hope to happen.

I've not intimated anywhere that I will enforce these changes upon China...

What do you plan to do...?

Well you have a word with Trump about your plan. I'm sure he'll be able to do summat.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
This is odd, most people with a mortgage will be under 50? Most of the sick are over 60?
It's so fewer people will go to work when sick and fewer working parents will have to leave the kids with grannie. It's also going to be significant as hospitals take proportionally fewer of the ill - people will want to look after (in some way) parents/grandparents etc.

Ultimately though, it'll protect the property market and the industries around it from collapse - if banks start repossessions, or people start anticipating them, it's got political repercussions and economic ones.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's so fewer people will go to work when sick and fewer working parents will have to leave the kids with grannie. It's also going to be significant as hospitals take proportionally fewer of the ill - people will want to look after (in some way) parents/grandparents etc.

Ultimately though, it'll protect the property market and the industries around it from collapse - if banks start repossessions, or people start anticipating them, it's got political repercussions and economic ones.
I can see the benefit of it for sure, but I think it definitely signals this is going to be and on going battle of months rather than weeks.

spiriticon

Posted at 11:00
Iranians die of alcohol poisoning after virus rumour
BBC Monitoring
The world through its media
A total of 36 Iranians have died of alcohol poisoning after consuming doctored alcohol in Ahvaz, the capital of south-western Khuzestan province, the official Irna news agency reports.
The report said that "consuming fake alcohol has occurred due to the spread of rumours that drinking alcohol would prevent the coronavirus infection".
In an interview with Irna, Dr Ali Ehsanpour, spokesman of Ahvaz Jondi Shapur University of Medical Sciences, said: "Some people in Ahvaz suffered alcohol poisoning after drinking fake alcohol [either local moonshine or methanol]. So far 270 have been admitted to the county's hospitals for treatment."
Irna went on to quote Ali Biranvand, deputy public prosecutor of the province, as saying seven individuals had been arrested for selling fake alcoholic drinks
Humans are beyond salvation.

That is not the reason. They already did it in previous quarantine zones - a lot of the Italian economy is driven by small local businesses who are being destroyed by the lockdown. It is giving them respite at a time when they will make no money. I know cafe and restaurant owners who are already laying off staff and with the 6pm+ ban a lot of them around here are just not opening at all.

Tbf H1N1 started with pigs in Mexico. Stop eating bacon or meat altogether?
No, but you could definitely take a look at how we live and work alongside those pigs.

Besides, there is now a lot of evidence that Swine flu was imported from Asia.

They did that after SARS too. The problem with China is not the laws, it's the corruption that allows everybody to ignore them.

Kaush949

Someone from our office was recently on a skiing trip abroad and one of their group has tested positive, they've since been in the office feeling unwell and were advised to self quarantine awaiting tests. This was on the same day that a bus load of School pupils were being shown around the building as we do a lot with community interactions. I'm feeling hungover and sniffly myself (without having been drinking). I stayed around my friend's house who works in a prison. This is the North of the UK. There's zero chance of containing it now, is cancelling events and flights just prolonging the inevitable ?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...ronavirus-cases-spain-double-one-21665110.amp

Mate, seems like you might have it. The lady in the video describes similar symptoms.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
That is not the reason. They already did it in previous quarantine zones - a lot of the Italian economy is driven by small local businesses who are being destroyed by the lockdown. It is giving them respite at a time when they will make no money. I know cafe and restaurant owners who are already laying off staff and with the 6pm+ ban a lot of them around here are just not opening at all.
That sounds like it'll help keep the economy alive. Are things like local taxes/rates being postponed as well?

If banks aren't understanding and willing to take a hit, which most of the big banks can, they will be looking to get their money back some way.
They are seeing the possible outcomes and are trying to help now. Intesa has given 100 million euros to the health services and made a 5 billion credit line available for the purchase of equipment.

That sounds like it'll help keep the economy alive. Are things like local taxes/rates being postponed as well?
They were in the previous red zones, so i assume that will be extended to the whole country too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The question is whether the creditors can afford to have the income cut off. They're going to have their own overheads and their own debt to service. They're part of a global economy, if they have creditors in Germany, China, US ect then there is no chance they will be afforded the same luxury.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They are seeing the possible outcomes and are trying to help now. Intesa has given 100 million euros to the health services and made a 5 billion credit line available for the purchase of equipment.
Bravo, will be interesting if the BoE do the same.

LordNinio

Yeah but if the lock down is only scheduled for a month, surely most family's will have sick pay for a month or the lock down wont effect their job contractually? I can see how certain sections of workers, non contractual staff or self employed would benefit, true. They are clearly planning this to take more than a month.
Yeah it seems that way

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The question is whether the creditors can afford to have the income cut off. They're going to have their own overheads and their own debt to service. They're part of a global economy, if they have creditors in Germany, China, US ect then there is no chance they will be afforded the same luxury.
The global economy will have to put up with it - there are going to be defaults or delays in payment, it's going to be a question of how that plays out that decides on how much damage is done. Intergovernmental action and World Bank intervention may be able to mitigate some of it, or at least regulate it. That does rely on international cooperation and realism though, not things that some of the key political leaders are famous for.

Doogie

BA cancels all flights to Italy, Ryanair and the others will surely follow.
I would hope so with regards to Ryanair. No update on their website though or any communication. Tried to contact a customer care agent but waiting 3 hours now for a respond :wenger: